The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb animate:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective animate
- Definition of the verb animate
- Phrases with Animate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Animate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Animate
- Photos about Animate
- Video language resources about Animate
- Quotes about Animate
- Scrabble value of A1N1I1M3A1T1E1
- Anagrams of ANIMATE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective animate
What does animate mean as an attribute of a noun?
- belonging to the class of nouns that denote living beings
- endowed with animal life as distinguished from plant life
- endowed with feeling and unstructured consciousness
Alternative definition of the adjective animate
- That which lives.
- Possessing the quality or ability of motion.
- Dynamic, energetic.
- [context: grammar, of a noun or pronoun] Having a referent that includes a human or animal.
- antonym: inanimate
- [context: grammar] Inflected to agree with an animate noun or pronoun.
Definition of the verb animate
What does animate mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: animated | animating | animates
- heighten or intensify
- give lifelike qualities to
- make lively
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of animate: enliven / invigorate / liven / liven up
- more generic terms: arouse / brace / energise / energize / perk up / stimulate = cause to be alert and energetic
- more specific terms:
- give new life or energy to
Alternative definition of the verb animate
- [transitive] To impart motion or the appearance of motion to.
Animate Ltd. is the retailing arm of MOVIC and is the largest retailer of anime, games, and manga in Japan. The first and headquarters store of Animate opened in 1983 and is located in Ikebukuro, a district in Tokyo, Japan.
- official website: www.animate.co.jp
- "Animate" is a composition.
- "Animate" is a musical album of Nobukazu Takemura.
- released in (14 years ago)
Phrases with Animate
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Animate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Albert Samuel Gatschet
Thus it may be seen from the prefix attached to many terms, whether the action or state refers to one or many, or to a long, flat, threadlike, round, bulky, erect, animate being or inanimate thing. For the sake of brevity, shape and number could ...
by Jeffrey Andrew Weinstock
AnImAte. Humans have long demonstrated a readiness to attribute human-like character and motivation to everyday objects, sometimes for allegorical purposes , sometimes for amusement, and sometimes in fear. Written records of talking ...
A Dictionary of Tauya (2013)
by Lorna MacDonald
Verbs show agreement in person and in number with core arguments which are animate; they show agreement in person only with core arguments which are inanimate (see 5.1.1., 5.1.3.). Animacy also has an effect on case marking, that is, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Animate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Animate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: matsuyuki
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Animate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Animate Meaning
Video shows what animate means. That which lives.. Possessing the quality or ability of motion.. Dynamic, energetic.. Animate Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Language as a Window into Human Nature - RSA Animate
In this new RSA Animate, Steven Pinker shows us how the mind turns the finite building blocks of language into infinite meanings.
- Second Language Acquistion Go Animate
A Go Animate video about Second Language Acquisition captured using Screencast-O-Matic.
- Go animate tool description
Go animate tool description.
- The annoying puffle on Go! Animate [link n description]
See also the pronunciation examples of Animate!
Quotes about Animate
Scrabble value of A1N1I1M3A1T1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANIMATE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Animate!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Animate to see it in context!