Anode appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Buried on an animal situated amid a pad I made taut, I slam in an anode I rub.
- As I let a bedroom anode man in, a mate let a man I named on a moor debate Lisa.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun anode and its most common antonym:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun anode
What does anode mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: anodes
- a positively charged electrode by which electrons leave an electrical device
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- antonym: cathode
- more generic word: electrode = a conductor used to make electrical contact with some part of a circuit
- more specific word: plate = the positively charged electrode in a vacuum tube
- part of: electrolytic cell = a cell containing an electrolyte in which an applied voltage causes a reaction to occur that would not occur otherwise; electron tube / thermionic tube / thermionic vacuum tube / thermionic valve / tube / vacuum tube = electronic device consisting of a system of electrodes arranged in an evacuated glass or metal envelope
- the negatively charged terminal of a voltaic cell or storage battery that supplies current
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- antonym: cathode
- more generic words: pole / terminal = a contact on an electrical device (such as a battery) at which electric current enters or leaves
- part of: accumulator / storage battery = a voltaic battery that stores electric charge; galvanic cell / primary cell / voltaic cell = an electric cell that generates an electromotive force by an irreversible conversion of chemical to electrical energy
Alternative definition of the noun anode
- the electrode of an electrochemical cell at which oxidation occurs
- the electrode through which current flows into a cell (the positive terminal of an electrolytic cell or the negative terminal of a galvanic cell)
- (considered incorrect usage by some) the terminal through which current flows into a diode when current is in the forward direction regardless of the direction the current is actually flowing
- the electron-collecting electrode of a vacuum tube
"Anode" is a musical album of Yoshihide Otomo.
- released on (14 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Anode
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Fuel Cell Fundamentals (2016)
by Ryan O'Hayre, Suk-Won Cha, Whitney Colella, Fritz B. Prinz
Anode refers to an electrode where oxidation is taking place. More generally, the anode of any two-port device...
by Jean-Louis Burgot
The anode is that where the electrochemical oxidation occurs. The fact that the cell behaves either in a...
by Peng Liu, Sushil Jajodia, Cliff Wang
*an ellipse node is a rule node *a diamond node is a derived fact node execve *anode is a system object(file, process, socket.
by Douglas A. Skoog, Donald M. West, F. James Holler, Stanley R. Crouch
18B—1 Cathodes and Anodes A cathode is an electrode where The cathode in an electrochemical cell is the electrode at which reduction occurs. reduCtion occurs- A“ anode is an The anode is the electrode at which an oxidation takes place.
by Charles M. Washington, Dennis T. Leaver
Anode The anode is the positive side of the x-ray tube. It receives electrons from ... Composition. The anode is a circular disk composed of many different metals, each designed to contribute to the effectiveness of x-ray production (Figure 6-4).
by International Correspondence Schools
The anode is the element at which the current enters the electrolyte, and the cathode is the element at which the cur' rent leaves the electrolyte. In the chemical action, the anode is consumed by oxygen from the electrolyte. and hydrogen gas ...
Solid Oxide Fuel Cells IX (SOFC-IX) : proceedings of the International Symposium, held in Quebec City, Canada> (2005)
by S. C. Singhal
The anode layer is deposited over the porous section of the substrate. The anode is a nickel cermet, with the ceramic phase being gadolinia doped ceria (CGO) ...
Fracture Mechanics (2005)
Fundamentals and Applications, Third Edition by Ted L. Anderson, T. L. Anderson
In cases where the two electrodes in an electrochemical cell are different metals, the anode is the metal that has a higher propensity to give up electrons (oxidize). For example, in an electrochemical cell with gold and iron electrodes, iron ...
by Zengliang Yu
Around the anode is the anodic potential-drop area, which is also short ...
by CTI Reviews
Power Supplies An anode is an electrode through which.
by Fred Moavenzadeh
Since the bath voltage is determined by the distance between the anode and the cathode and also the specific electric conductivity of the bath, shortening the distance between the former and using a high value for the latter leads to a lowering ...
Volume 36 - Phosphorus to Pipeline Failure: Subsidence Strains by John J. McKetta Jr
Hilly, rocky area „« Property line ~| ~| ~- Rock about 5 ft below surface _„- Install shallow anode •"* • • • • Rock 1 7 ft below surface r~ r Plant Install deep anode TMl Street Underground gas and water lines to adjoining plant Telephone'and ...
by David Dowsett
anode current (xray) Electrons emerging from the filament are ...
A Popular Dictionary of Words and Terms Used in the Practice of Electric Engineering by Thomas O'Conor Sloane
anode saturated with the solution of the drug in question. On passing a current the desired result is secured by cataphoresis, q. v. Anode. The positive terminal in a broken metallic or true conducting circuit ; the terminal connected to the carbon ...
Electrochemical Dictionary (2012)
by Allen J. Bard, György Inzelt, Fritz Scholz
Anode 41 of resolution related to these converters. The first indicates the number of discrete values that it can produce, while the second is associated with the number of discrete values in which its overall voltage measurement range can be ...
by Henry Watts
If the two wires, instead of being directly joined, be connected with the poles of a battery, the magnesium forming the anode, exactly the same effects are produced . Whether a battery is employed or not, the quantity of hydrogen evolved at the ...
by Sunggyu Lee
2- Electrolyte Copper Sulphate Solution O o - Cathode Anode Fig. 1 Principle of electroplating. Oxidation/Reduction In a wider sense, all electron-transfer reactions are considered oxidation/reduction. The substance gaining electrons ...
by C. C. Lee
is introduced to anode electrocatalysts that spontaneously break the methanol molecules apart. Once broken up, the carbon atom ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anode
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Anode
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Anode
Click on an item to play that video:
- Anode Meaning
Video shows what anode means. An electrode, of a cell or other electrically polarized device, through which a positive current of electricity flows outwards (and ...
- Galvanic anode Meaning
Video shows what galvanic anode means. An anode which is useful for protecting buried or submerged metal structures from corrosion because it is made from ...
- Terminology of Batteries - Anode - SixtySec
For the full set of videos on Batteries as presented by Dr. Wong...
View more videos about Sacrificial anode.
See also the pronunciation examples of Anode!
Scrabble value of A1N1O1D2E1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANODE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Anode!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Anode to see it in context!