The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun anodyne:
Anodyne (something that calms or soothes pain) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the noun anodyne
What does anodyne mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: anodynes
- a medicine used to relieve pain
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of anodyne: analgesic / pain pill / painkiller
- more generic terms: medicament / medication / medicinal drug / medicine = something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease
- more specific terms:
- acetaminophen = an analgesic for mild pain but not for inflammation
- phenylacetamide / acetanilide / acetanilid = a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic
- acetophenetidin / acetphenetidin / phenacetin = a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic
- amidopyrine / aminopyrine = a white crystalline substance used as an analgesic and antipyretic
- acetylsalicylic acid / aspirin = the acetylated derivative of salicylic acid; used as an analgesic anti-inflammatory drug usually taken in tablet form; used as an antipyretic
- codeine = derivative of opium
- colchicine = an analgesic drug derived from the saffron plant and used to treat gout
- morphine / morphia = an alkaloid narcotic drug extracted from opium
- sodium salicylate = a crystalline salt used as an analgesic and antipyretic
Alternative definition of the noun anodyne
- [pharmacology] Any medicine or other agent that relieves pain.
- [figuratively] A source of relaxation or comfort.
Definition of the adjective anodyne
What does anodyne mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- capable of relieving pain
Alternative definition of the adjective anodyne
- Capable of soothing or eliminating pain. [definition from 16th c.]
- [figuratively] Soothing or relaxing. [definition from 18th c.]
- Noncontentious, blandly agreeable, unlikely to cause offence or debate; bland, inoffensive. [definition from 20th c.]
- Anodyne was an American hardcore band, that existed from 1997 to 2005. Their music was characterized by chaotic song structures coupled with layers of feedback and noise similar to bands like Kiss It Goodbye, Today is the Day and Black Flag. The lyrics were broodingly introspective and emotional. The band went through several lineup changes before arriving at the definitive line up of Mike Hill, Joshua Scott, and Joel Stallings. Drummer Joel Stallings is notable for introducing blast beats to the band’s sound, which were often employed later in the band's existence. Anodyne was affiliated with a number of independent record labels including Escape Artist, Level Plane, and Chainsaw Safety. They completed several US tours and one European Tour. Members went on to perform in Versoma, Tombs and Defeatist.
- genres: Sludge metal, Mathcore
- albums: "Outer Dark", "Lifetime of Gray Skies", "The First Four Years: Discography Vol.1", "Salo", "Red Was Her Favorite Color", "Anodyne / Keelhaul", "Quiet Wars"
- Anodyne a.k.a. Marfa Lights is a musical group.
- album: "Tensor"
Anodyne is a defunct organization, record label.
- "Anodyne" is the fourth and final studio album by alternative country band Uncle Tupelo, released on October 5, 1993. The recording of the album was preceded by the departure of the original drummer Mike Heidorn and the addition of three new band members: bassist John Stirratt, drummer Ken Coomer, and multi-instrumentalist Max Johnston. The band signed with Sire Records shortly before recording the album; Anodyne was Uncle Tupelo's only major label release until 89/93: An Anthology in 2002.
- genre: Alternative country
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Anodyne" is a musical album of Neon Dream.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Anodyne" is a composition.
- "Anodyne" is a musical album of Down and Above.
- released in (11 years ago)
"Anodyne" is an independent video game created by Sean Hogan and Jonathan Kittaka, who together form the independent game company Analgesic Productions. After a nearly year-long development through Hogan and Kittaka's last years in college the game was released on February 4, 2013, for Windows PC, Mac OS X and Linux. An Android version was released as part of a Humble Bundle on October 15, 2013. The Anodyne soundtrack was also made available for purchase at the time of release, including all of the music in the game as well as a few bonus tracks.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designers: Sean Hogan & Jonathan Kittaka
- developer: Analgesic Productions
- genre: Action-adventure game
- released on
Anodyne: In medicine before the 20th century, an anodyne was a drug that was believed to relieve or soothe pain by lessening the sensitivity of the brain or nervous system. It was essentially an analgesic.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Anodyne
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
(Antiinflammatory, anodyne, sedative, hepatoprotective, for fever, influenza, hepatitis, malaria.) in China: ai xiao chai hu Bupleurum ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Or who in sweet vicissitude appears Of mirth and opium, ratane and tears, The daily anodyne and nightly draught, To kill those foes to fair one's time and thought. Pope'l Moral Euays. Akodyne; from a privative, and ocvvti, P*Jn ; a term applied ...
A Dictionary of Discriminated Synonyms with Antonyms and Analogous and Contrasted Words by Merriam-Webster, Inc
anodyne. annotation gloss (see under ANNOTATE) Ana commentary, comment, observation, note, »remark announce publish, proclaim, »declare, promulgate, advertise, broadcast Ana disclose, »reveal, divulge, tell: ...
Comprehending the Pharmacopoeias of London, Edinburgh, and Dublin, with a Variety of Other Useful Information Relative to Medicine and Pharmacy, Designed Expressly for the Use of Students by Thomas Castle
Liquoa, Anodyne Mineral. Liquor Mineralis Anodynus. TheSpiritus jiEtheris Sulphurici Compositus. Liquon, Arsenical. Arsenical Solution. The Liquor Arsenicalis. . Liquon, Hoffman's Anodyne. Hoffman's Anodyne Mineral Solution. The Spirit ns ...
Being a Voluminous and Exhaustive Hand-book of Medical and Scientific Terminology, with Phonetic Pronunciation, Accentuation, Etymology, Etc by John Marie Keating
Opium preparation; hypnotic; anodyne. Opioph'aglam. (Gr. 5mm, “opium,” and (fllfElV, '- to eat") Opium-eating; the psychology of opium- eating ...
2,856 Words You Must Know by Mark Phillips
anodyne (AN-ә-dīn) n. An anodyne is anything (sometimes a medicine) that relieves or lessens pain. The word has more of a literary than a medical connotation. (In medicine a word like analgesic or anesthetic is usually used). Our aerobics ...
Health and Illness in the World's Cultures Topics - Volume 1; Cultures - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
“cold” antibiotic, anticancer analgesic, anodyne, diuretic, hypnotic antiseptic anodyne (see above) 848 Maya of Highland Mexico.
An anodyne mixture : contains morphin, cannabis, hydrocyanic acid, chloroform, peppermint, and capsicum. Dose, 15 min. (1 c.c). Chloranthus (klo-ran'tlius) [L. ; Gr. xAa>P°< green + ap0o< flower], A genus of piperaceous plants. C. officinalis ...
by George Watt
By Gelsus it was employed as an external application in ophthalmia, and as an anodyne, and Pliny mentions it in various passages. In oriental literature the earliest record of the plant is, as is natural from its habitat, to be found in Arabic and ...
Lexicon Pharmaceuticum (1828)
Or a Pharmaceutical Dictionary, Comprehending the Pharmacopoeias of London, Edinburgh, and Dublin, with a Variety of Other Useful Information Relative to Medicine and Pharmacy ... by Thomas Castle
Liquon, Anodyne Mineral. Liquor Mineralis Anodynus. The Spiritus AEtheris Sulphurici Compositus. Liquor, Arsenical. Arsenical Solution. The Liquor Arsenicalis. Liquon, Hoffman's Anodyne. Hoffman's Anodyne Mineral Solution. The Spiritus ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anodyne
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Anodyne
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jennaddenda
Anodyne Coffee House at 43rd & Nicollet in South Minneapolis
Photo credit: Tony Webster
- Pre bluegrass show at Anodyne
Photo credit: chriscoyier
- Anodyne Brand (Brewed Cafe)
Photo credit: ky_olsen
- . Anodyne
via Instagram instagr.am/p/I54DjUpOuR/
Photo credit: !!!! scogle
- Anodyne - Images
Photo credit: DeMille Productions
- Anodyne Coffee
Photo credit: edkohler
- Fantasy Bunnies in Winterfell Anodyne
Photo credit: SteampunkAdventure
- Da Vinci ruined market in Winterfell Anodyne
Leonardo da Vinci is a primordial steampunk creator of mischief. These flags show a few of his drawings of dragons and wings.
Photo credit: SteampunkAdventure
Video about Anodyne
Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Anodyne, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Scrabble value of A1N1O1D2Y4N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANODYNE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Anodyne!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Anodyne to see it in context!