The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun anodyne:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun anodyne
- Definition of the adjective anodyne
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Anodyne
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anodyne
- Photos about Anodyne
- Video language resources about Anodyne
- Quotes about Anodyne
- Scrabble value of A1N1O1D2Y4N1E1
- Anagrams of ANODYNE
- Share this page
Anodyne (something that calms or soothes pain) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
Definition of the noun anodyne
What does anodyne mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: anodynes
- a medicine used to relieve pain
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of anodyne: analgesic / pain pill / painkiller
- more generic terms: medicament / medication / medicinal drug / medicine = something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease
- more specific terms:
- acetaminophen = an analgesic for mild pain but not for inflammation
- phenylacetamide / acetanilide / acetanilid = a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic
- acetophenetidin / acetphenetidin / phenacetin = a white crystalline compound used as an analgesic and also as an antipyretic
- amidopyrine / aminopyrine = a white crystalline substance used as an analgesic and antipyretic
- acetylsalicylic acid / aspirin = the acetylated derivative of salicylic acid; used as an analgesic anti-inflammatory drug usually taken in tablet form; used as an antipyretic
- codeine = derivative of opium
- colchicine = an analgesic drug derived from the saffron plant and used to treat gout
- morphine / morphia = an alkaloid narcotic drug extracted from opium
- sodium salicylate = a crystalline salt used as an analgesic and antipyretic
Alternative definition of the noun anodyne
- [pharmacology] Any medicine or other agent that relieves pain.
- [figuratively] A source of relaxation or comfort.
Definition of the adjective anodyne
What does anodyne mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- capable of relieving pain
Alternative definition of the adjective anodyne
- Capable of soothing or eliminating pain. [definition from 16th c.]
- [figuratively] Soothing or relaxing. [definition from 18th c.]
- Noncontentious, blandly agreeable, unlikely to cause offence or debate; bland, inoffensive. [definition from 20th c.]
- Anodyne was an American hardcore band, that existed from 1997 to 2005. Their music was characterized by chaotic song structures coupled with layers of feedback and noise similar to bands like Kiss It Goodbye, Today is the Day and Black Flag. The lyrics were broodingly introspective and emotional. The band went through several lineup changes before arriving at the definitive line up of Mike Hill, Joshua Scott, and Joel Stallings. Drummer Joel Stallings is notable for introducing blast beats to the band’s sound, which were often employed later in the band's existence. Anodyne was affiliated with a number of independent record labels including Escape Artist, Level Plane, and Chainsaw Safety. They completed several US tours and one European Tour. Members went on to perform in Versoma, Tombs and Defeatist.
- genres: Sludge metal, Mathcore
- albums: "Outer Dark", "Lifetime of Gray Skies", "The First Four Years: Discography Vol.1", "Salo", "Red Was Her Favorite Color", "Anodyne / Keelhaul", "Quiet Wars"
- Anodyne a.k.a. Marfa Lights is a musical group.
- read more about Marfa Lights
Anodyne is a defunct organization, record label.
- "Anodyne" is the fourth and final studio album by alternative country band Uncle Tupelo, released on October 5, 1993. The recording of the album was preceded by the departure of the original drummer Mike Heidorn and the addition of three new band members: bassist John Stirratt, drummer Ken Coomer, and multi-instrumentalist Max Johnston. The band signed with Sire Records shortly before recording the album; Anodyne was Uncle Tupelo's only major label release until 89/93: An Anthology in 2002.
- genre: Alternative country
- released on (22 years ago)
- "Anodyne" is a musical album of Neon Dream.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Anodyne" is a composition.
- "Anodyne" is a musical album of Down and Above.
- released in (12 years ago)
"Anodyne" is an independent video game created by Sean Hogan and Jonathan Kittaka, who together form the independent game company Analgesic Productions. After a nearly year-long development through Hogan and Kittaka's last years in college the game was released on February 4, 2013, for Windows PC, Mac OS X and Linux. An Android version was released as part of a Humble Bundle on October 15, 2013. The Anodyne soundtrack was also made available for purchase at the time of release, including all of the music in the game as well as a few bonus tracks.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designers: Sean Hogan & Jonathan Kittaka
- developer: Analgesic Productions
- genre: Action-adventure game
- released on
Anodyne: In medicine before the 20th century, an anodyne was a drug that was believed to relieve or soothe pain by lessening the sensitivity of the brain or nervous system. It was essentially an analgesic.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Anodyne
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
British and American by Eric Partridge
*anodyne, n. Death: 1859, Matsell, 'Aren't yer habel to put him to hanodyne ...
Body Parts, Sicknesses, Instruments, and Medicinal Preparations by Juhani Norri
anodyne. anodyna (pl.). Forms: anodina*. [ML anodina (see quot.). Cf. anodyne.] Medicines alleviating pain. c1425 *BernLilium 45r: Þou schalt do þerto anodina [ L:anodina (d8ra)]. Anodina biþ þinges þat beþ swyþe mytigatyf by actuel hete.
2,856 Words You Must Know by Mark Phillips
anodyne (AN-ә-dīn) n. An anodyne is anything (sometimes a medicine) that relieves or lessens pain. The word has more of a literary than a medical connotation. (In medicine a word like analgesic or anesthetic is usually used). Our aerobics ...
Health and Illness in the World's Cultures Topics - Volume 1; Cultures - by Carol R. Ember, Melvin Ember
analgesic, anodyne, anthelmintic, antiseptic, diaphoretic, diuretic, emmenagogue, febrifuge, fungicide, lactogogue, narcotic, nervine, parasiticide, stimulant, stomachic, tonic, vermifuge “warm” strong anthelminthic, antimicrobial, anti-candida, ...
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
(Antiinflammatory, anodyne, sedative, hepatoprotective, for fever, influenza, hepatitis, malaria.) in China: ai xiao chai hu Bupleurum ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
Anodyne is the oldest and most inclusive of these terms; it may be applied to any agent used primarily to relieve pain whether by dulling perception of pain or by altering the pain-causing situation (as by local stimulation of blood flow), often ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Or who in sweet vicissitude appears Of mirth and opium, ratane and tears, The daily anodyne and nightly draught, To kill those foes to fair one's time and thought. Pope'l Moral Euays. Akodyne; from a privative, and ocvvti, P*Jn ; a term applied ...
London Encyclopaedia; Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature and Practical Mechanics (1829)
Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge
Or who in sweet vicissitude appears Of mirth and opium, ratafie and tears, The daily anodyne and nightly draught, To kill those foes to fair one's time and thought. Pope's Moral Essays. ANoDYNE; from a privative, and oëvvm, pain; ...
by Ernest Weekley
anodyne. L., G. drwSWos, painless, irom ar-, neg., o&virt), pain. anoint. Orig. p.p. of OF. enoindre, Lat. inungere, from in and ungere, unrt-, to anoint. The Lord's Anointed is used hy Coverd. (1535) where Wye. has the Crist of the Lord.
Being a Voluminous and Exhaustive Hand-book of Medical and Scientific Terminology by John Marie Keating, Henry Hamilton, John Chalmers Da Costa, Frederick A. Packard
Opium preparation ; hypnotic ; anodyne. Opioph'aglsm. (Gr. 6-ruov, "opium," and tpayttv, '• to eat.") Opium-eating ; the psychology of opium-eating. Opisth6t'ic. (Gr. unioOev, " behind," and oot, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anodyne
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Anodyne
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jennaddenda
Anodyne Coffee House at 43rd & Nicollet in South Minneapolis
Photo credit: Tony Webster
Photo credit: ReinventedWheel
- . Anodyne
via Instagram instagr.am/p/I54DjUpOuR/
Photo credit: !!!! scogle
- Anodyne Coffee
Photo credit: edkohler
- Da Vinci ruined market in Winterfell Anodyne
Leonardo da Vinci is a primordial steampunk creator of mischief. These flags show a few of his drawings of dragons and wings.
Photo credit: SteampunkAdventure
- Fantasy Bunnies in Winterfell Anodyne
Photo credit: SteampunkAdventure
- Anodyne pizza oven...
via Instagram ift.tt/2fGtdfr
Photo credit: plural
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Anodyne
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Anodyne
No Bobolink—reverse His Singing
When the only Tree
Ever He minded occupying
By the Farmer be—
Clove to the Root—
His Spacious Future—
Whose Music be His
Brave Bobolink— (Emily Dickinson)
more quotes about anodyne...
Scrabble value of A1N1O1D2Y4N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANODYNE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Anodyne!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Anodyne to see it in context!