On this page:
- Definition of the noun anselm
- Phrases with Anselm
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Anselm
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anselm
- Photos about Anselm
- Video about Anselm
- Quotes about Anselm
- Scrabble value of A1N1S1E1L1M3
- Anagrams of ANSELM
- Share this page
Definition of the noun anselm
What does anselm mean as a name of something?
- an Italian who was a Benedictine monk; was archbishop of Canterbury from 1093 to 1109; one of the founders of scholasticism; best known for his proof of the existence of God
Who is Anselm?
Anselm a.k.a. Anselm of Canterbury: Saint Anselm of Canterbury, also called Anselm of Aosta after his birthplace and Anselm of |Bec after his monastery, was a Benedictine monk, philosopher, and prelate of the Church, who held the office of Archbishop of Canterbury from 1093 to 1109. Called the founder of scholasticism, he has been a major influence in Western theology and is famous as the originator of the ontological argument for the existence of God and the satisfaction theory of atonement.
- read more about Anselm of Canterbury
- Anselm is a fictional character from the 1979 film Black Angel.
- Anselm is a fictional character from the 1977 film Cross of Iron.
- Anselm is a fictional character from the 2000 film A Question of Faith.
- Anselm is a fictional character from the 2013 film The Dreamers.
Phrases with Anselm
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Anselm
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
St Anselm means that there is this difference between CHAPTER XI.
The Pastoral Function of Christian Doctrine by Ellen T. Charry
First, Anselm is an innovative spiritual guide and teacher who revitalized monasticism through a deep commitment to compassion, gentleness, love, and encouragement as the chief means of promoting rigorously disciplined monastic practice, ...
by William M. Johnston
Anselm wrote and circulated prayers, meditations, and treatises while engaging in an extensive correspondence. A number of the prayers and meditations eventually were collected (especially from 1070 to 1075) for wider ...
Catholic Encyclopedia (1909)
bury, Anselm “ refused to be 'udged by any one save the pope himself, a doctrine w ich it seems no one was repared 'to deny”. Through the saint's firmness erban was recognized, and the pallium brought from him to England; but a little later ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Anselm
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Anselm
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Anselm Kiefer.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Anselm
Video shows what Anselm means. , quite rare in English.. Anselm Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Anselm. Powered by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Anselm!
Quotes about Anselm
Scrabble value of A1N1S1E1L1M3
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANSELM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Anselm!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Anselm to see it in context!