The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun antic:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun antic
- Definition of the adjective antic
- Definition of the verb antic
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Antic
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Antic
- Photos about Antic
- Video about Antic
- Scrabble value of A1N1T1I1C3
- Anagrams of ANTIC
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun antic
What does antic mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: antics
- a ludicrous or grotesque act done for fun and amusement
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of antic: caper / joke / prank / put-on / trick
- more generic words: diversion / recreation = an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun antic
- [context: architecture, arts, obsolete] A grotesque representation of a figure; a gargoyle.
- A caricature.
- [context: often in plural] A ludicrous gesture or act; ridiculous behaviour.
- A grotesque performer or clown.
- [context: animation, from "anticipation"] A pose, often exaggerated, in anticipation of an action; for example, a brief squat before jumping
Definition of the adjective antic
What does antic mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- ludicrously odd
Alternative definition of the adjective antic
- [context: architecture, arts] Grotesque, incongruous.
- Grotesque, bizarre; absurd.
Definition of the verb antic
What does antic mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: anticked | anticking | antics
- act as or like a clown
Alternative definition of the verb antic
- [intransitive] To perform antics.
- [rare] To make a fool of.
- [transitive, rare] To perform (an action) as an antic; to mimic ridiculously.
Antic is a musical group.
- "Antic" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Antic" is a musical EP of Antic.
- released in (21 years ago)
- ANTIC: Alphanumeric Television Interface Controller is a LSI ASIC dedicated to generating 2D computer graphics to be shown on a television screen or computer display. Under the direction of Jay Miner, the chip was designed in 1977-1978 by Joe Decuir, Francois Michel, and Steve Smith for Atari 8-bit computers released in 1979 and was patented by Atari, Inc. in 1981. ANTIC is also used in the Atari 5200 video game system release in 1982.
- Antic was the name of a home computer magazine devoted to the Atari 8-bit computer line. Its ISSN is 0113-1141. It took its name from the ANTIC chip, which produced the Atari line's graphics. The first issue was published in April 1982. While it began as a bimonthly magazine, within a year it had gone monthly. The last issue was in June–July 1990. All told, 88 issues were published. A "Best of" book was also published.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Antic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Cyril M. Harris
antic, antic work A grotesque sculpture consisting of animal, human, and foliage forms incongruously run together and used to decorate molding terminations and many other parts of medieval architecture. Sometimes synonymous with ...
by Victoria Gaydosik
Antic. Hay. 1923 Work Author: Aldous Huxley A sensation for its frank presentation of a Britishstyle Roaring Twenties culture of excess, frivolity, and indulgence in sex, alcohol, drugs, modern art,and jazz music, thisstory follows the adventures ...
Biographical Dictionary of Women's Movements and Feminisms in Central, Eastern, and South Eastern Europe (2006)
19th and 20th Centuries by Francisca de Haan, Krasimira Daskalova, Anna Loutfi
Milica AnTIC (milica.antic-gaber ...
To obtain a blood group reagent which reacts with only one blood group factor – for example B – the antiC antibody ...
by David Crystal
Аnthony > Antonio, Antonius, Antony anthropophagi п antro'pрfod5ог spantropophague anthropophaginian п antropрfo'd5Inion spanthropophaginian" Аntiat / -s п т 'ansi,e:ts sp Antiates", Antiats", Antients" antic adj > antique anticipate / -est ...
The English Dialect Dictionary, Being the Complete Vocabulary of All Dialect Words Still in Use, Or Known to Have Been in Use During the Last Two Hundred Years: T-Z. Supplement. Bibliography. Grammar (1905)
by Joseph Wright
ANTIC, sb. and adj. Sc. Lan. Amer.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Antic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Antic
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Antic
Video shows what antic means. Grotesque, incongruous.. Grotesque, bizarre; absurd.. antic pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Antic!
Scrabble value of A1N1T1I1C3
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ANTIC
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Antic!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Antic to see it in context!