On this page:
- Definition of the verb appreciate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Appreciate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Appreciate
- Usage statistics about appreciate
- Photos about Appreciate
- Video language resources about Appreciate
- Quotes about Appreciate
- Scrabble value of A1P3P3R1E1C3I1A1T1E1
- Anagrams of APPRECIATE
- Share this page
Appreciate is sometimes a misspelling of appropriate.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb appreciate
What does appreciate mean as a doing word?
Appreciate is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: appreciated | appreciating | appreciates
- recognize with gratitude; be grateful for
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Predicate] in [Theme] I admired the honesty in him [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme] for [Predicate] I admired him for his honesty [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme] The tourists admired the paintings [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, subject control with -ing] I loved writing [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, possessive with -ing] I loved him writing novels [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Theme, that-complement clause] The children liked that the clown had a red nose
Verbs of Psychological State (with the same syntax): abhor, admire, adore, affirm, applaud, bear, believe, bewail, cherish, deify, deplore, disbelieve, distrust, dread, envy, esteem, exalt, execrate, fancy, favor, grudge, idolize, lament, loathe, miss, mourn, pity, prefer, prize, reaffirm, relish, resent, respect, revere, rue, savor, stand, suffer, support, tolerate, treasure, trust, value, venerate, worship.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- more generic words: acknowledge / recognise / recognize = express obligation, thanks, or gratitude for
- be fully aware of; realize fully
- hold dear
- example: Sam and Sue appreciate the movie
- syntax: the same syntax as for the sense 1
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of appreciate: prize / treasure / value
- more generic words: consider / reckon / regard / see / view = deem to be
- more specific terms:
- gain in value
- example: The yen appreciated again!
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Attribute - scalar] of [Patient] [Verb] The price of oil soared [Attribute - scalar] of [Patient] [Verb] [Extent] The price of oil increased ten percent [Attribute - scalar] of [Patient] [Verb] by [Extent] The price of oil increased by ten percent [Patient]'s [Attribute] [Verb] Oil's price soared [Patient]'s [Attribute] [Verb] [Extent] Oils's price increased ten percent [Patient]'s [Attribute] [Verb] by [Extent] Oils's price increased by ten percent [Patient] [Verb] Imports have declined [Patient] [Verb] by [Extent] Nonperforming assets at these banks declined by %15 [Patient] [Verb] in [Attribute] Oil soared in price
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): advance, balloon, climb, decline, decrease, depreciate, diminish, dip, drop, dwindle, fall, fluctuate, gain, grow, increase, jump, lower, move, mushroom, plummet, plunge, rise, rocket, shift, skyrocket, soar, surge, swell, tumble, vary.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of appreciate: apprise / apprize / revalue
- antonym of appreciate: depreciate
- more generic word: increase = become bigger or greater in amount
- increase the value of
Alternative definition of the verb appreciate
- [transitive] to be grateful or thankful for.
- [transitive] to view as valuable.
- synonym: estimate
- [transitive] to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect.
- synonym: understand
- [transitive] to increase in value.
- "Appreciate" is a musical album of Howard Jennings.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Appreciate" is a song by Paul McCartney.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Appreciate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
What You Need to Know by Keith Souter
The important thing to appreciate is that strokes are all preventable, which means that good diabetic control is of paramount importance. KEY POINTS Eighty per cent of strokes are ischaemic. Fifteen per cent of strokes are haemorrhagic.
A Critique of the United Methodist Bishops' Pastoral Letter "In Defense of Creation" by Paul Ramsey
WHAT A CHRISTOLOGICAL PACIFISM LOOKS LIKE What the Bishops fail to appreciate is that the peace that sustains Christian pacifism is an eschatological notion. Christian pacifism is not based on the assumption that Jesus has given us ...
Software Education and Training Sessions at the International Conference, on Software Engineering, ICSE 2005, St. Louis, MO, USA, May 15-21, 2005, Revised Lectures by Paola Inverardi, Mehdi Jazayeri
Also difficult to appreciate is that to buildasoftware intensive service ...
by Bill Bryson
appreciate has a slightly more specific meaning than writers sometimes give ...
by Cambridge University Press
WORD FAMILY appreciate Nouns appreciation Verbs appreciate Adjectives appreciable Adverbs appreciatively appreciative apprehend /.aepn'hend/ v [T] to catch and put a person under police control; to ARREST o Last night police ...
by Robert Hartwell Fiske
appreciate admire/applaud/approve ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Appreciate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about appreciate
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb appreciate:
Comparison of usage frequency between the verb appreciate and its most common antonym:
Photos about Appreciate
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Bombardier
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Appreciate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Appreciate Meaning
Video shows what appreciate means. to be grateful or thankful for.. to view as valuable.. to be fully conscious of; be aware of; detect.. appreciate pronunciation.
- Appreciate Meaning 2
- Begin to appreciate true meaning of humanity
- Appreciate Culture project explanation
- Don't appreciate use of such language: Rahul on Khurshid's 'impotent' remark
Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi as condemned External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid description of Bharatiya Janata Party prime ministerial ...
- Don't appreciate such language: Rahul Gandhi to Salman Khurshid's
- Don't appreciate use of such language: Rahul on Khurshid's 'impotent' Modi remark
New Delhi, Feb 27 (ANI): Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said that he did not endorse or appreciate External Affairs Minister Salman ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Appreciate!
Quotes about Appreciate
One who doesn't appreciate the apple, won't appreciate the orchard.
more quotes about appreciate...
Scrabble value of A1P3P3R1E1C3I1A1T1E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine