Are appears in many tongue twisters:
- My back black brake blocks are broken.
- Casual clothes are provisional for leisurely trips across Asia.
- In pine tar is. In oak none is. In mud eels are. In clay none is.
(If read fast, it sounds like gibberish.)
Are appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Quizotic knights' wives are found on jumpy old zebras. (44 letters)
- Jim quickly realized that the beautiful gowns are expensive. (51 letters)
Are appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Oh, cameras are macho.
- Trades are erased art.
- So, camera solos are MacOS?
On this page:
- Definition of the noun are
- Phrases with Are
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Are
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Are
- Photo about Are
- Videos about Are
- Sign language
- Quotes about Are
- Scrabble value of A1R1E1
- Anagrams of ARE
- Share this page
The word are is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
Definition of the noun are
What does are mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ares
- a unit of surface area equal to 100 square meters
- examples: You are in my way. | No I'm not; you are! | America is a lovely place to be, if you are here to earn money. | Every person who is alone is alone because they are afraid of others. | I am a flawed person, but these are flaws that can easily be fixed. | I hate it when there are a lot of people. | "To tell you the truth, I am scared of heights." "You are a coward!" | People from Madrid are weird. | I don't care what your names are. Once this job's over, I'm out of here. | We don't see things as they are, but as we are.
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of are: ar
- more generic terms: area unit / square measure = a system of units used to measure areas
- part of: hectare = a unit of surface area equal to 100 ares
Alternative definition of the noun are
- [rare] An accepted (but deprecated and rarely used) SI unit of area equal to 100 square metres, or a former unit of approximately the same extent. Symbol: 'a'
- synonym: [rare] square decametre
- Are a.k.a. The United Arab Emirates, sometimes simply called the Emirates or the UAE, is a country located in the southeast end of the Arabian Peninsula on the Persian Gulf, bordering Oman to the east and Saudi Arabia to the south, as well as sharing sea borders with Qatar and Iran. In 2013, the UAE's total population was 9.2 million, of which 1.4 million are Emirati citizens and 7.8 million are expatriates from around the world.
- also known as UAE, Emirates
- founded on (43 years ago)
- part of Asia, Arabian Peninsula, Middle East, Arab world, Eurasia, Southern Sun Hotel Group, Arabia, Gulf States
- instance of: Asian country / Asian nation = any one of the nations occupying the Asian continent
- member of: Arab League = an international organization of independent Arab states formed in 1945 to promote cultural and economic and military and political and social cooperation; OPEC / Organization of Petroleum-Exporting Countries = an organization of countries formed in 1961 to agree on a common policy for the production and sale of petroleum
- read more about United Arab Emirates (country)
- Are a.k.a. Åre is a locality and one of the leading Scandinavian ski resorts situated in Åre Municipality, Jämtland County, Sweden with 1,417 inhabitants in 2010. It is however, not the seat of the municipality, which is Järpen. 25% of the municipal industry is based on tourism, most notably the downhill skiing and biking resorts in Åre and Storlien. The growth in tourism has resulted in the development of hotels, recreational and shopping opportunities in the area.
- Are a.k.a. Antonio (Nery) Juarbe Pol Airport: Antonio Juarbe Pol Airport is a public use airport located three nautical miles of the central business district of Arecibo, Puerto Rico. It is owned by the Puerto Rico Ports Authority. This airport is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015, which categorized it as a general aviation airport.
- part of 00612
- Are is a fictional character from 2010 action film Valhalla Rising.
- Are is a fictional character from the 2005 film Brownies.
There are other characters with in their name, like Are....
- "aRe" is a musical album of Wim Mertens.
- released in (14 years ago)
- "Are" a.k.a. "Åre" is a musical album of Bukkene Bruse.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Are" is a musical album of Toucan Uke.
- released on
- "Are" is a composition.
- music by Tatsuya Yoshida
- "Are" a.k.a. "Yes" is a 2010 single by Sirvan Khosravi.
- read more about Yes
- Are a.k.a. Xetá Language: Xetá is an extinct tupi-guarani language of Brazil.
- also known as Seta, Cheta, Sheta, Aré, Xeta language
- Are is an human language.
- also known as Ade Bhasha, Arrey, Arya, Kalika Arya Bhasha, Aray
- Are a.k.a. Arrarnta, Western Language is an human language.
- also known as Arunta, Aranda
Phrases with Are
Phrases starting with the word Are:
Phrases ending with the word Are:
Other phrases containing the word Are:
View more phrases with the word Are in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Are
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Synonymous, Etymological and Pronouncing. English Dictionary; in which the Words are Deduced from Their Originals ..... Ectracted from the Laubours of the Late Samuel Johnson (etc.) (1805)
The following are irregularly formed in most languages: Pos. Comp. Sup. Pos. Comp. Sup. Good better best Little less least Bad, ill, evil worse WOTSt Much or many more IIlQ3t Note. Double comparatives and superlatives are grammatical ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Are
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Are
Photo credit: Arbeiderpartiet
Videos about Are
Click on an item to play that video:
- Bible Verse Meaning of Ephesians 2:8: "By grace ye are saved"
What does is the bible verse meaning of Ephesians 5:8? Does it mean that works are really not needed to be saved? Let us listen to the analogy provided by Bro ...
- John Krasinski and Emily Blunt's Date Nights Are The Definition of Relationship Goals
ET caught up with John Krasinski and Emily Blunt at the Rise Nation launch event where they gushed about their date nights and celebrity crushes.
- "Is, Am, Are, Verb." Song
For lyrics and other teaching material, please visit...
- Tears are a Language God Understands - Heritage Singers
- TEARS ARE A LANGUAGE
"TEARS ARE A LANGUAGE" of Heritage Singers.
- Tears Are a Language God Understands [Live]
Music video by Bill & Gloria Gaither performing Tears Are a Language God Understands (feat. Amy Lambert) [Live]. (P) (C) 2012 Spring House Music Group.
- Tears Are A Language
Sung in the video by Heavenbound, from their album, 'Peace in the Valley.' Please click to play all the featured Christian hymns: ...
- 02. Sonwabo Gila || Tears Are A Language
Sonwabo Gila singing, "Yure Yomthandazo" (Sweet Hour of Prayer). Live recording at Voice of Hope SDA Church. Fourways, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Tears Are a Language by The Booth Brothers
This song featuring Jim Brady is one of their most beautiful ones. This was performed at a Diplomats/Booth Brothers concert in Villa Rica, GA on 1/16/09.
See also the pronunciation examples of Are!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Two of the give way rules are changing - Video with sign language
This video, which includes sign language, demonstrates the two give-way rules that will be changing in New Zealand at 5am on 25 March 2012.
- You Are God Alone - Sign Language
No copyright infringement intended. You are God Alone by Philips, Craig, and Dean as interpreted in sign language by Edna as part of the activities for Advance ...
Quotes about Are
Scrabble value of A1R1E1
The value of this 3-letter word is 3 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ARE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Are!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Are to see it in context!