The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun arguing:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun arguing
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Arguing
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Arguing
- Photos about Arguing
- Video language resources about Arguing
- Sign language
- Quotes about Arguing
- Scrabble value of A1R1G2U1I1N1G2
- Anagrams of ARGUING
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun arguing
What does arguing mean as a name of something?
- a contentious speech act; a dispute where there is strong disagreement
- examples: My parents keep arguing about stupid things. It's so annoying! | Let's not argue for the sake of arguing. | The drivers began arguing about who was to blame for the accident. | Bill is skillful in arguing and debating. | It is no use arguing with such a foolish man. | It is no use arguing about it. | It is no use arguing with him about it. | There is no point arguing about the matter. | Stop arguing about money. | It is no good arguing with you.
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of arguing: argument / contention / contestation / controversy / disceptation / disputation / tilt
- more generic terms: conflict / difference / difference of opinion / dispute = a disagreement or argument about something important
- more specific words:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Arguing
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Atlas Shouts: (2014)
A Modern Patriot Calls for Action by John Lofgren
Fact-first arguing means putting all supporting and conflicting facts on one side of a scale and all negative facts and conflicts on the other. If a preponderance of such facts or conflicts exist that strongly tilt the scale negatively, that says a policy ...
Vol. 1- by Harry T. Reis, Susan Sprecher
Hence, certain conditions must be present to stimulate arguing. A variety of factors increase the willingness to argue, including (a) relational intimacy, (b) perceiving that another's actions are disrespectful, (c) confidence that one knows how to ...
Similes Dictionary (2013)
by Elyse Sommer
but never looking up to see where they come from —Timothy Dexter ~39 ARGUMENTS See Also: FIGHTING Argue like geese —Ben Hecht Argued like a lawyer —Edith Wharton Arguing like sparring fish in a tank —Graham Swift Arguing ...
by John Anthony McGuckin
The Antiochene Patriarch John objected, arguing that since the Arian crisis was no longer a common threat for Orthodoxy, the juris dictional control of the patriarchate of Antioch over Cyprus should be reesta blished. The synodical fathers ...
A Universal Alphabet, Grammar, and Language; comprising a scientific classication of the radical elements of discourse, and illustrative translations, to which is added a Dictionary of the Language (1856)
by George EDMONDS (Attorney, of London.)
were essentially different from each other, that is, different kinds of reasoning ( arguing) it ...
Containing Everything Necessary for the Reference of the Politicians and Statesmen of the United States by Michael W. Cluskey
also took decided grounds against the lill, arguing that the repeal of the Missouri restriction would be a breach of good faith. Mr. Breckenridge of Ky . made a stirring speech in its support, and reviewed the objections Thich had ...
Samkhya, A Dualist Tradition in Indian Philosophy by Gerald James Larson, Ram Shankar Bhattacharya
Arguing that liberation can arise from a combination of knowledge and action is like arguing that an unreal dream object being combined with a real object of ...
Volume 13: Gender by Nancy Bercaw, Ted Ownby
Beginning late in the 1960s and increasing in the 1970s, many African American writers and political figures began to praise African American family life for its adaptability, arguing that what had long seemed a weakness was in fact a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Arguing
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Arguing
Click on an item to view that photo:
over who gets to kiss Dan.
Photo credit: elvissa
Photo credit: Dwilliams851
- Saigon Arguing
Two men arguing over motorbike repairs in Saigon.
Photo credit: a_brlnr
- Humanoids Arguing
Photo credit: hang_in_there
- Arguing Gulls
Fighting over food.
Photo credit: piropiro3
- Arguing with Einstein
Photo credit: [email protected]
- Arguing with the police....!
Taken with 85mm f1.2 on 7D
Photo credit: ming1967
- Jonathan arguing
- uploaded by ShoZu
Photo credit: Poldavo (Alex)
- Still Arguing
Great Lakes @ Lansing 04262011
Photo credit: mwlguide
- Harbor Seals Arguing
They were very loud, and very aggressive. Quite intimidating.
Photo credit: mamamusings
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Arguing
Click on an item to play that video:
- Evidence 2.1: Relevance & Arguing the definition
Professor Wes Porter, Director of the GGU Litigation Center at Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco, presents this lecture series about the ...
- Arguing Rap, noise vs meaning
- "Arguing with poetic language," Ta-Nehisi Coates | LIVE from the NYPL
Ta-Nehisi Coates in conversation with Khalil Gibran Muhammad. Recorded on October 13th, 2015 at the New York Public Library For more events by LIVE from ...
- 8 grader arguing with a 4 grader in weird made up language
- Mr. E || Arguing Ghosts - Text Language
- ESL Conversation Arguing
To join a class...
- Arguing Using Baby Language
See also the pronunciation examples of Arguing!
Ishan and dad arguing in sign language...sep 21 2013
via YouTube Capture.
Quotes about Arguing
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself. (H.L. Mencken)
more quotes about arguing...
Scrabble value of A1R1G2U1I1N1G2
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ARGUING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Arguing!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Arguing to see it in context!