On this page:
The word as is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
Definition of the noun as
What does as mean as a name of something?
- a very poisonous metallic element that has three allotropic forms; arsenic and arsenic compounds are used as herbicides and insecticides and various alloys; found in arsenopyrite and orpiment and realgar
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of As: arsenic / atomic number 33
- more generic terms: chemical element / element = any of the more than 100 known substances (of which 92 occur naturally) that cannot be separated into simpler substances and that singly or in combination constitute all matter
- substance of: arsenopyrite / mispickel = a silver-white or grey ore of arsenic; orpiment = a yellow mineral occurring in conjunction with realgar; realgar = a rare soft orange mineral consisting of arsenic sulphide; herbicide / weed killer / weedkiller = a chemical agent that destroys plants or inhibits their growth; insect powder / insecticide = a chemical used to kill insects
Alternative definition of the noun as
- [context: unit of weight] A libra.
- Any of several coins of Rome, coined in bronze or later copper; or the equivalent value.
Definition of the adverb as
What does as mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- to the same degree (often followed by `as')
Alternative definition of the adverb as
- To such an extent or degree.
- In the manner or role specified.
- [dated] For example.
Other definitions of as
What does as also mean?
- In the same way that; according to what.
- At the same instant that; when.
- At the same time that; while.
- Varying through time in the same proportion that.
- Considering that, because, since.
- Introducing a basis of comparison, after 'as', 'so', or a comparison of equality.
- [dialectal] that
- As a.k.a. Aš is a town of Cheb District in the Karlovy Vary Region of the Czech Republic.
- read more about Aš (town)
- As a.k.a. As, Belgium: As is a municipality located in the Belgian province of Limburg. On January 1, 2006 As had a total population of 7,497. The total area is 22.07 km² which gives a population density of 340 inhabitants per km².
- As a.k.a. Ås is a municipality in Akershus county, Norway. It is part of the Follo traditional region. The administrative centre of the municipality is the village of Ås. The parish of Aas was established as a municipality on 1 January 1838.
- read more about Ås (village)
Scrabble value of A1S1
The value of this 2-letter word is 2 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of As to learn how to say it correctly!