The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ascent:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun ascent and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun ascent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ascent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ascent
- Photos about Ascent
- Video language resources about Ascent
- Quotes about Ascent
- Scrabble value of A1S1C3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of ASCENT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun ascent
What does ascent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ascents
- an upward slope or grade (as in a road)
- a movement upward
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of ascent: ascension / rise / rising
- more generic terms: change of location / travel = a movement through space that changes the location of something
- more specific terms:
- climbing / mounting / climb = an event that involves rising to a higher point
- elevation / raising / lift = the event of something being raised upward
- heaving / heave = an upward movement
- liftoff = the initial ascent of a rocket from its launching pad
- rapid growth / rapid climb / zoom = a rapid rise
- takeoff = the initial ascent of an airplane as it becomes airborne
- upheaval / upthrust / upthrow / uplift = a rise of land to a higher elevation
- uplifting = the rise of something
- the act of changing location in an upward direction
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of ascent: ascending / ascension / rise
- more generic words: motion / move / movement = the act of changing location from one place to another
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun ascent
- The act of ascending. A motion upwards.
- The way or means by which one ascends.
- An eminence, hill, or high place.
- The degree of elevation of an object, or the angle it makes with a horizontal line; inclination; rising grade.
- [typography] The ascender height in a typeface.
- "Ascent" a.k.a. "Kodiyettam" is a 1978 Indian feature film production written and directed by Adoor Gopalakrishnan. It is in Malayalam. The film notably does not feature any kind of film score.
- read more about Kodiyettam
- "Ascent" a.k.a. "The Prophecy 3: The Ascent" is a fantasy horror-thriller film, and the third motion picture in The Prophecy series. Christopher Walken and Steve Hytner reprise their roles as the Archangel Gabriel and the coroner Joseph, respectively. As the war in Heaven and on Earth rages on, Pyriel, the Angel of Genocide, arises with the intention of destroying all humankind; the only one who can stop him is Danyael, a Nephilim born of an angel and a human woman. However, Danyael is unaware of his purpose until he learns it from Gabriel. Gabriel acts as Danyael's guardian while Zophael seeks out Danyael. The fate of humankind hangs in the balance as Danyael sets out to confront Pyriel and fulfill his destiny.
- also known as Profetia, Anjos Rebeldes 3, Anjos Rebeldes 3 - O Ascendente
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Patrick Lussier
- producer: Joel Soisson
- cinematography by Nathan Hope
- music by David C. Williams
- genres: Horror, Cult film
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Ascent" is a novel published in 2007, written by Jed Mercurio. It follows the career of Yevgeni Yeremin, an orphan of Stalingrad, from his days as a MiG-15 pilot in the Korean War, where he becomes a leading ace. However, at the end of the war he crashes in a plane bearing USSR insignia. Although rescued by North Korean troops he is felt to have risked revealing that Soviet aircrew participated in the conflict and on cessation of hostilities he is exiled in disgrace to a polar base. He has been befriended by one of his groundcrew, who follows him north, and he eventually marries her. He becomes a trainee cosmonaut, with little hope of a mission; he eventually volunteers for a risky mission to attempt a lunar landing ahead of Apollo 11, in an untested lunar craft. He knows that if he fails, his death will lead to little comment, and be denied by the USSR. He succeeds in achieving a landing, on the dark side of the Moon, but the lander rocket has malfunctioned, leaving him no hope of return. The novel ends with his descending from the doomed craft to walk on the lunar surface, as the lights in the stranded craft gradually go out.
- genre: Science Fiction
- "Ascent" is a book by Laurence Leamer.
- also known as "Ascent: the spiritual and physical quest of Willi Unsoeld"
- genres: Biography, Travel
- subjects: Mountaineering, Recreation, Geography, Sports, Adventure, United States of America, Outdoor recreation
- "Ascent" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by John Coltrane
- "Ascent" is a musical album of Six Organs of Admittance.
- released on
- "Ascent" is a composition.
- music by James Dooley
- "Ascent" is a composition.
- "Ascent" is a musical album of Jeremy Woolhouse.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "Ascent" is a musical EP of Guiding Light Demise.
- ascent is an independent, not-for-profit magazine published quarterly that explores the intersection of spiritual values with social and political issues, art, culture and contemporary thought. ascent also publishes a website, a blog, books, and holds an annual retreat at Yasodhara Ashram. The tag line for the magazine is “Yoga for an inspired life”. Its offices are based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- official website: www.ascentmagazine.com
- Ascent is an American literary magazine that publishes stories, poems, and essays, many of which are later reprinted in annual anthologies. The journal is based at Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ascent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Western Alps (1898)
by John Ball, William Augustus Brevoort Coolidge
The ascent is a very easy snow walk, and is most strongly recommended to those who do not wish to undergo a great amount of exertion. The view far away to the S. is most marvellous, while most of the Dauphine peaks are included in the ...
Hart Crane and Allen Tate (2017)
Janus-Faced Modernism by Langdon Hammer
The gull's spiral ascent is an act of “building,” but also “shedding,” because the bird climbs up by throwing down the “white rings” of...
Jesus Christ, Eternal God (2011)
Heavenly Flesh and the Metaphysics of Matter by Stephen H. Webb
Spiritual ascent is an intellectual, not ritual, ...
Emergency War Surgery (2012)
The Survivalist's Medical Desk Reference by United States. Department of the Army
◊ Combination of both staged and graded ascent is the safest and most effective prevention method. ♢ ♢ Diet: High carbohydrate diet (< 70% of total 29.25 Environmental Injuries.
THE MODERN TRAVELLER A POPULAR DESCRIPTION, GEOGRAPHICAL, HISTORICAL, TOPOGRAPHICAL, OF THE VARIOUS COUNTRIES OF THE GLOBE. (1824)
by JAMES DUNCAN
About half way up the ascent is a ruined monastery, built, as the monks tell us, on the spot where our Saviour wept over Jerusalem. From this point, the spectator enjoys, perhaps, the best view of the Holy City. On reaching the summit, ...
by Ken Siri, Tony Lyons
ascentschool.org Ascent is a private, non-profit school for children diagnosed with autism and atypical pervasive developmental disorders. It provides a full day, 12 month academic and behavioral treatment program to preschool and ...
For underlying Platonic ascent is escape: contemplation of the higher world of ideas promises salvation from the present “world of appearances” of which ignorance, not sin, is the basic human predicament. For this reason, Protestants have ...
A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship by Craig A. Evans, Stanley E. Porter, Jr.
*Cicero's Somnium Scipionis regards ascent to the stars as the destiny of the good soul after death (Cicero De Rep.
In Jewish sources, it is often difficult to ascertain whether an ascent text is the product of mystical experience, exegetical ...
The Climbing Dictionary (2011)
Mountaineering Slang, Terms, Neologisms & Lingo: An Illustrated Reference by Matt Samet
FIrst ascent (Fa) France, climbers began wearing PAs (Pierre Allains), sneakerish friction shoes that remained globally popular through the 1970s. An early smooth -soled rock shoe (with rands, for jamming) was the French-made Super Gratton ...
The Nietzsche Dictionary (2014)
by Douglas Burnham
ascent. The symbols of height and ascending play an important role in N, understandably associated with for example mountains, birds, lightness (as opposed to heaviness), the sky (e.g. astronomical references), cold and overcoming.
Encyclopedia of Optimization (2001)
The dual ascent method is now to increase aj in small steps, so that Wj(a) and w"( a) increase. The increase of a certain aj is bounded by the closest breakpoint, induced by the dual constraints of either set 1 (corresponding to enabling or ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
ASCENT IO NAL difference, is the difference between the right and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ascent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ascent
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hard ground intaglio print.
Photo credit: dailyinvention
Photo credit: chadmiller
Photo credit: esomangraphics
Schynige Platte, Switzerland
Photo credit: James E. Petts
Photo credit: Brandie!
She's in a better place now.
Photo credit: jtbrennan
Industrial kit at Workington town quay. The ladder in the foreground is part of an enigmatic pyramid-shaped tower. The crane in the background is actually the other side of the main channel.
Photo credit: recursion_see_recursion
Photo credit: jar 
Photo credit: Jules Antonio
Photo credit: Ted Drake
The iPhone does not lend itself well to photographing people in rapid motion in low light situations. Nevertheless, this photo are rather impressionistic which makes up for the poor quality of the shot.
Photo credit: jamie_okeefe
Photo credit: Banalities
Photo credit: robzand
Photo credit: [email protected]
Photo credit: Sharon Mollerus
Photo credit: benjaflynn
Photo credit: Thomas Leth-Olsen
Time to Climb...
Photo credit: iainmerchant
- Jackson Peak Ascent
Photo credit: thom.penn
- Stairway Without Ascent
Photo credit: ErnestDuffoo
View more pictures about The Ascent.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Ascent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ascent Meaning
Video shows what ascent means. The act of ascending. A motion upwards.. The way or means by which one ascends.. An eminence, hill, or high place.. Ascent ...
- Ascent of 'National language' rises on Raisina Hill in Modi government - Tv9 Gujarati
The ascent of the National Language, Hindi rises in Modi government be it Upper and Lower houses, Prime Minister's Office or powerful ministries of defense, ...
- ASCENT OF INTELLIGENCE Language and Brain-size [Robin Allott
In evolution intelligence has broadly increased in step with brain-size. For humans there has been a doubling in brain size in a relatively short period. The video ...
- EMBODIED LANGUAGE ASCENT OF INTELLIGENCE
Part 1 of the Embodied Language Presentation at New College Oxford September 2011 Part 2 contains the associated Sounds Animations and Videos Part 3 is ...
- ASCENT OF INTELLIGENCE Language & Brain-size 3 Robin Allott
Part of the explanation for the rapid growth in the size of the human brain is to be found in terms of the Baldwin effect through which culture and evolution interact ...
- EBC231 language dialects and ascent
View more videos about The Ascent.
See also the pronunciation examples of Ascent!
Quotes about Ascent
Scrabble value of A1S1C3E1N1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ASCENT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ascent!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ascent to see it in context!