The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun assessment
- Phrases with Assessment
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Assessment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
- Photos about Assessment
- Video language resources about Assessment
- Sign language
- Quotes about Assessment
- Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Assessment is a member of the word family assess, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun assessment
What does assessment mean as a name of something?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: assessments
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
Alternative definition of the noun assessment
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Specialised definition of the noun assessment
Glossary of sports
careful consideration of something to make a judgment about it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a judgment based on evidence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (10 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skill, attitudes, and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole.
- read more about Educational assessment
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is Aaron L. Pincus.
Phrases with Assessment
- tax assessment
- Disc Assessment
- Risk assessment
- special assessment
- logistic assessment
- personality assessment
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Integrated Approach to Practice by Tracy Prout PhD, Melanie Wadkins PhD
Assessment is a broad term used to encompass all methods that a mental health professional may use to collect information about the individuals...
by Ruth Elder, Katie Evans, Debra Nizette
Assessment is the first step in the diagnosis of mental disorders. A mental health assessment 'is a complex intellectual activity that includes formulating hypotheses about a person, deciding what data are necessary to confirm or disconfirm ...
by Stephen N. Haynes, William Hayes O'Brien
Introduction In Chapter 3 we discussed the conditional utility of the elements of the behavioral assessment paradigm: Behavioral assessment is a functional approach to assessment in that the utility of each element of the paradigm varies ...
The Power of Family Unity (2013)
How to Use it to Gain Economical Freedom for Generations by Rashid Rashad
Needs assessment is a systematic process for determining and addressing needs or gaps between current conditions and desired...
Green Business (2011)
An A-to-Z Guide by Nevin Cohen
Exposure assessment is a method of measuring or estimating an organism's level of exposure to a toxic compound or group of...
In other words, exposure assessment is the process of measuring or estimating toxic chemical concentrations, ...
by Ronald K. Bullis
assessment is an organic process that has three main aspects. As discussed...
an organic assessment means a connected assessment. Whether the...
by Abby S. Bloch
Nutrition assessment is an ongoing, dynamic process that involves not only initial data collection but also continual reassessment and...
data are related to outcomes to be measured, recommended guidelines, and whether the assessment is an initial one or a reassessment.
Realization that nutrition assessment is a systematic process, which requires judgment on the part of the dietetics professional to ...
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
Survival of the Fittest (2013)
The Shifting Contours of Higher Education in China and the United States by Qi Li, Cynthia Gerstl-Pepin
Pepin Abstract Assessment is the evaluation of student learning in specific learning outcomes such as integrative thinking,
Assessment is a critical component in moving higher education out of the regimented industrial age into the ...
Risk Assessment Methods (1993)
Approaches for Assessing Health and Environmental Risks by V.T. Covello, M.W. Merkhoher
CHAPTER 3 Exposure Assessment Exposure assessment is the process of measuring or estimating the intensity, frequency, and duration of human or other population exposures to risk agents. Exposures may occur in a variety of ways, such ...
by Joseph Pinson
Assessment is a continuing process that allows for continual refinement during the course of treatment.
Effective assessment is the first step in protocol planning (Michel and Pinson 2005, 2012) that is a regimen for prioritizing needs in an ...
by Xiufeng Liu
Assessment is a routine task for all teachers; you may think that conducting science assessment requires no more than...
An International Training Course
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT PROCESS - Environmental impact assessment is the systematic, reproducible,
ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENT- An environmental site assessment is a preliminary evaluation of a site or ...
by Xinqi Zheng, Chunlu Xue, Zhiyuan Yuan
Land suitability assessment is a type of multi-factor evaluation, and its purpose is to determine whether and how a land plot is suitable for a particular use. Land suitability assessment is the basis for sound land use decision making and ...
Instruments for Environmental Management by Paul Compton, Dimitri Devuyst, Luc Hens, Bhaskar Nath
DEFINITIONS Life-cycle assessment is an objective process to evaluate the environmental burdens associated with a...
by Florian, John Hegarty
Assessment is an integral and essential part of all good teaching.
Formative assessment is a much more fluid process that is mostly carried out informally, with the teacher noting that students who have failed to reach expected levels of ...
by Michael Pecht
Manufacturer, part, and distributor assessments Manufacturer assessment is an evaluation of the part manufacturer's ability to produce parts with consistent quality. Part assessment is the determination of the candidate part's quality and ...
by Gorazd Mesko, Dejana Dimitrijević, Charles B. Fields
The basic concept underlying any chemical risk assessment is the dose- response relationship. As described by Paracelsus nearly 500 years ago, “All substances are poisons; there is none which is not a poison. The right dose differentiates a ...
by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros
something which happens at the end of the process of learning is no longer widespread; assessment is now represented as a tool for learning (Dochy & McDowell, 1997). The changing learning society has generated the so-called assessment ...
by Lawrence A. Tomei
Assessment Taxonomy: Education Citation. The process of gathering information or data for the purpose of determining if outcomes of a curriculum have been met, either on the part of the student or the educator. The criteria being reviewed ...
by J. Michael Spector
Formative assessment refers to assessment practices that are designed to offer teachers and students feedback about student understanding as a means for measuring learning, providing guidance for further learning, and shaping instruction.
The Encyclopedia of Aging (2006)
Fourth Edition, 2-Volume Set by Richard Schulz
The Multiphasic Environmental Assessment Procedure (MEAP; Moos & Lemke, 1988) is the most well developed measure for residential, planned settings and provides descriptive and evaluative assessments along multiple dimensions.
Volume 22 - Supplement 1 - Applications of Negotiating and Learning Agents to User Query Performance with Database Feedback by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
ASSESSMENT. OF. END-USER. TRAINING. NEEDS. Recent studies estimate that of the more than $50 billion that U.S. organizations spend on training annually , well over $5 billion is directed toward the users of information ...
by Stephanie Felgoise, Arthur M. Nezu, Christine M. Nezu, Mark A. Reinecke
Keywords: functional analysis, behavior analysis, cognitive behavioral case conceptualization, case formulation, behavioral observation Behavioral assessment is a specific empirically based assessment paradigm which evolved from the field ...
by Cecil R. Reynolds, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen
Scatter plot assessment is an observational method used to identify temporal conditions and (in some formats) other stimulus conditions that may reliably predict the occurrence or absence of problem behavior. A scatter plot typically re- ...
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2008)
by Frederick T. Leong
Assessment, Testing, and Research Methods Academic Achievement (Vol. 2) Academic Achievement, Nature and Use of (Vol. 4) Achievement, Aptitude, and Ability Tests (Vol. 4) Adaptive Behavior Testing ( Vol.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: thekirbster
Photo credit: rmatei
She finally just had to tip the bottle up over her glass to determine whether or not it was empty.
Photo credit: kizzzbeth
reality of activity, slowly, over time, captured, collected, then replicated....
Photo credit: @DrGarcia
Photo credit: wmshc_kiwi
Photo credit: AinisR
Photo credit: D.C.Atty
Photo credit: Jlhopgood
Hackerspace Hack42 is in the process of moving to a new building which was in need of a full make-over. A few walls needed to go, one of which was this ridiculously over-engineered double wall, built with 30cm (1 foot) wide bricks.
Photo credit: dvanzuijlekom
Scenes from a Mormon social gathering: Rebekah (left) admires her new paint job as Cami observes the approval.
Photo credit: makelessnoise
Photo credit: John T. Spencer
Photo credit: ePublicist
- Panel 5: Assessment
Developing assessment criteria and metadata standards.
Mark Conrad, NARA
Jane Greenberg, Dryad
John Graybeal, Ocean Observatories Iniative (OOI)
Steve Richard, Arizona Geological Society
Photo credit: anderbill
- Joint assessment
Capt. Patrick Foley (front), a member of the Minnesota Army National Guard, Sgt. Brent Crutchfield and Sgt. Craig McComsey, both members of the Mississippi Army National Guard, leave the village of Haji Sultan, Afghanistan, after conducting a joint assessment.
Photo credit: The U.S. Army
- Site Assessment
Member of the Kandahar Provincial Reconstruction Team hand out pens to local Afghan children during a site assessment of the Dowry Rud Check Dam. The PRT works with government officials at the district and provincial levels to build sustainable infrastructure capacity.
Photo credit: The U.S. Army
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- Risk assessment Meaning
Video shows what risk assessment means. The overall process of identifying all the risks to and from an activity and assessing the potential impact of each risk.
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of ...
- Debreif assessment explanation video
- FAIR Assessment Explanation
- Assessment Vocabulary
Idaho Leads Project Assessment Vocabulary challenge course.
- Assessment Meaning
Video shows what assessment means. The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.. An appraisal or evaluation.. Assessment Meaning.
- Associating an assessment definition with a case
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- DISC assessment Meaning
Video shows what DISC assessment means. A group of psychometric tests based on word association.. DISC assessment Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- The next best thing in speaking assessment Vocabulary
- Assessment Definition
- Pig Cooker Hazard Assessment Explanation
- Spicy Karl Assessment - BK 1 Rib Sandwich and Explanation on the Lost Original
- Teaching Vocabulary - Assessment
LAI 574 - Week 6 Tech Bonus; Diagnostic, Formative, and Summative Assessment.
- Head to Toe Assessment with Explanation
This video is a demonstration a mock head to toe assessment for the LVN student with an explanation as it progresses.
- Vocabulary Assessment
Vocabulary Assessment PD using KIPP Word Study Modules from Marzano Research Laboratories.
- FCE Speaking - Grammar and Vocabulary Assessment
Assessment criteria - Grammar and vocabulary. Control simple grammar and attempt complex forms.
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Assessment What to submit [workplace] VIDEO explanation
- Standards-Based Assessment for ESL Curriculum
A mini lecture that reviews assessments based on standards - typically these are exams (achievement, proficiency, diagnostic, placement) They are usually tests ...
- Assessment of English Language Learners
Featuring Dr. Lorraine Valdez Pierce, discussing effective classroom strategies for assessing English language learners.
- TSI Assessment Description
TSI Assessment is a computer adaptive test for students entering Texas colleges. The TSI measures skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" can be ...
- Authentic Assessment for English Language Learners
Mainstream teacher describes authentic assessment in her third grade classroom.
- ESL Authentic Assessment Pilot at La Follette High School Semester 1 - Food
- Second speaking assessment - Description of a place
- LPAC:Language Proficiency Assessment Commitee
The Language Proficiency Assessment Commitee must evaluate every ESL and ELL student to decide if the student must remain in a bilingual education ...
- Deborah Crusan talks about Assessment in the Second Language Writing Classroom
Why should language teachers read this book?
- English Language Controlled Assessment - Creative Writing
An introductory guide to the basics of the English Language Controlled Assessment for Creative Writing.
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Assessment
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Assessment to see it in context!