The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
Assessment is a member of the word family assess, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun assessment
What does assessment mean as a name of something?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: assessments
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
Alternative definition of the noun assessment
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Specialised definition of the noun assessment
Glossary of sports
careful consideration of something to make a judgment about it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a judgment based on evidence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (11 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skill, attitudes, and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole.
- read more about Educational assessment
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is Aaron L. Pincus.
Phrases with Assessment
Printed books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Integrated Approach to Practice by Tracy Prout PhD, Melanie Wadkins PhD
Assessment is a broad term used to encompass all methods that a mental health professional may use to collect information about the individuals...
by Ruth Elder, Katie Evans, Debra Nizette
Assessment is the first step in the diagnosis of mental disorders. A mental health assessment 'is a complex intellectual activity that includes formulating hypotheses about a person, deciding what data are necessary to confirm or disconfirm ...
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
Green Business (2011)
An A-to-Z Guide by Nevin Cohen
Exposure assessment is a method of measuring or estimating an organism's level of exposure to a toxic compound or group of...
In other words, exposure assessment is the process of measuring or estimating toxic chemical concentrations, ...
How to Prepare for the ExCET (1999)
Examination for the Certification of Educators in Texas : Professional Development Tests by S. L. McCune, Donnya Elle Stephens, Mary Ella Lowe
Eliminate A because criterion-referenced assessment refers to the use of tests designed to measure mastery of specific skills. Eliminate C because norm- reference assessment refers to the use of standardized tests focused on a comparison of ...
by Ronald K. Bullis
assessment is an organic process that has three main aspects. As discussed...
an organic assessment means a connected assessment. Whether the...
Instruments for Environmental Management by Bhaskar Nath
DEFINITIONS Life-cycle assessment is an objective process to evaluate the environmental burdens associated with a...
Risk Assessment Methods (1993)
Approaches for Assessing Health and Environmental Risks by V.T. Covello, M.W. Merkhoher
CHAPTER 3 Exposure Assessment Exposure assessment is the process of measuring or estimating the intensity, frequency, and duration of human or other population exposures to risk agents. Exposures may occur in a variety of ways, such ...
by Marie Shaw
Assessment is the skill of assessing the product and process for either improved instruction or to document what a...
then performance assessment is an excellent means to enable the student to understand this concept and be able to use it in ...
by Xiufeng Liu
Assessment is a routine task for all teachers; you may think that conducting science assessment requires no more than...
Transportation Security (2009)
Comprehensive Risk Assessments and Stronger Internal Controls Needed to Help Inform TSA Resource Allocation by Stephen M. Lord
Risk assessment is a qualitative and/or quantitative determination of the likelihood of an adverse event occurring and the severity,
An International Training Course
ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT PROCESS - Environmental impact assessment is the systematic, reproducible,
ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENT- An environmental site assessment is a preliminary evaluation of a site or ...
by Xinqi Zheng, Chunlu Xue, Zhiyuan Yuan
Land suitability assessment is a type of multi-factor evaluation, and its purpose is to determine whether and how a land plot is suitable for a particular use. Land suitability assessment is the basis for sound land use decision making and ...
by Florian, John Hegarty
Assessment is an integral and essential part of all good teaching.
Formative assessment is a much more fluid process that is mostly carried out informally, with the teacher noting that students who have failed to reach expected levels of ...
The Power to Protect (2004)
Trade, Health and Uncertainty in the WTO by Catherine Button
Dose-response assessment refers to the study of how differing dosages affect health (for example, does double the...
Risk assessment is the first component of risk analysis, ...
Policy, Theory, and Practice by Simon Davis
Assessment The clinical assessment is an ongoing process, one that involves interviews, gathering collateral information,
Readers should note that while the assessment is a structured process, it is, to use the old cliché, an art as well as a ...
by Antonio Marcomini, Glenn Walter Suter II, Andrea Critto
Accordingly, Risk Assessment is the procedure in which the risks posed by hazards associated with processes or situations...
Within environmental risk assessment, Ecological Risk Assessment is a process for organising and analysing data, ...
Lessons from the Middle (2001)
High-end Learning for Middle School Students by TX Assoc for Gifted, Sandra Nina Kaplan, Michael W. Cannon
Classroom assessment is the check for understanding (1) used by the teacher to measure achievement and plan curriculum and instruction and (2) used by the...
Classroom assessment is a means to an end, rather than an end in itself.
Evaluating the Impact of the Graduate Fellowship Programme of the International Livestock Research Institute (2002)
A Tools and Process Report
Impact assessment is the highest of these four levels and it is characterised by two main factors.
Secondly, impact assessment is an extraordinary activity in research management, and is best conducted by a team external to the training ...
by Harold F. Tipton, Micki Krause
Risk assessment is a structured discipline that must discover the threats, vulnerabilities, and values of an organization's assets. A key factor in risk assessment is the determination of the likelihood of an adverse event affecting an organization, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Panel 5: Assessment
Developing assessment criteria and metadata standards.
Mark Conrad, NARA
Jane Greenberg, Dryad
John Graybeal, Ocean Observatories Iniative (OOI)
Steve Richard, Arizona Geological Society
Photo credit: anderbill
- Assessment Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
The Nursing and Midwifery Council Standards for pre-registration education call for the nurse to be able to undertake and document a comprehensive, systematic and accurate nursing assessment of the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of patients, clients and communities. Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! provides the know-how nurses need to interview patients, obtain health histories, perform physical examinations, and interpret findings.
The skills covered in Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! are fundamental to the delivery of excellent health care, and can help you to make a real difference to the quality of care that your patients receive. Reader-friendly features include abundant illustrations, cartoons, checklists, quick quizzes, memory joggers and chapter summaries.
Photo credit: Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
- Special Forces Assessment and Selection
Photo credit: USAJFKSWCS
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Assessment Definition
- Making Meaning: Assessment
- Debreif assessment explanation video
- Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) Author Interview
An innovative new measure, the Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) present full-color photographs to measure the breadth of an individual's vocabulary and oral language development. A complementary...
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- Vocabulary Assessment
Vocabulary Assessment PD using KIPP Word Study Modules from Marzano Research Laboratories.
- Head to Toe Assessment with Explanation
This video is a demonstration a mock head to toe assessment for the LVN student with an explanation as it progresses.
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of competency profiling / competency ...
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Assessment Vocabulary
Idaho Leads Project Assessment Vocabulary challenge course.
- Assessment of Receptive Vocabulary
Determining the receptive vocabulary level on the PPVT will assist in planning vocabulary interventions.
- The Resurgence of China's Criminal Underworld: Assessment and Explanation
Speaker: Ming Xia Based upon a database compiled by the author, this presentation provides an overview of the development of China's criminal underworld during the past two decades and a ...
- Teaching Vocabulary - Assessment
LAI 574 - Week 6 Tech Bonus; Diagnostic, Formative, and Summative Assessment.
- FCE Speaking - Grammar and Vocabulary Assessment
Assessment criteria - Grammar and vocabulary. Control simple grammar and attempt complex forms.
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- Peabody Vocabulary Assessment
Recorded on September 23, 2012 using a Flip Video camera.
- BE1174 Assessment Explanation with Q&A
- Assessment Explanation: Environment Shaping Us
- Diagnostic Assessment Definition
- Standards-Based Assessment for ESL Curriculum
A mini lecture that reviews assessments based on standards - typically these are exams (achievement, proficiency, diagnostic, placement) They are usually tests (as opposed to other forms of...
- Assessment of English Language Learners
Featuring Dr. Lorraine Valdez Pierce, discussing effective classroom strategies for assessing English language learners.
- Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students
Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students.
- TSI Assessment Description
TSI Assessment is a computer adaptive test for students entering Texas colleges. The TSI measures skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" can be found at...
- ESL Authentic Assessment Pilot at La Follette High School Semester 1 - Food
- Second speaking assessment - Description of a place
- Online ESL Assessment Orientation with Juan
- Preschool for ELLs: Language Learning and Assessment
Dr. Palacios discusses language learning and assessment best practices/strategies for preschool programs serving ELLs.
- Assessment Case Stud of an ELL/ESL/EFL Student
View more videos about Language Assessment.
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Before Assessment on Sign Language
Quotes about Assessment
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Assessment to see it in context!