The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
Assessment is a member of the word family assess, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun assessment
What does assessment mean as a name of something?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: assessments
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
Alternative definition of the noun assessment
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Specialised definition of the noun assessment
Glossary of sports
careful consideration of something to make a judgment about it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a judgment based on evidence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (10 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skill, attitudes, and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole.
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is Aaron L. Pincus.
Phrases with Assessment
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
by Mary Lou Kelley, George H. Noell, David Reitman
Functional assessment is a conceptual model that was derived from operant principles of learning and behavior.
Indirect assessment is the gathering of information through interviews and/or rating scales from informants who have witnessed ...
by Gary Shelly, Glenda Gunter, Randolph Gunter
PROJECT-BASED ASSESSMENT Project-based assessment is an innovative approach to assessment that focuses on assessing...
The disadvantage of portfolio assessment is that creating and assessing portfolios takes longer to evaluate than a quick test...
The Role of CBOs and NGOs in Global Public Health by Paul A. Gaist
Risk assessment is the scientific method used to determine individual and population risk – or the probability of harm – from exposure to an environmental hazard. Risk management is the complementary process of taking policy measures ...
Network Security Bible (2011)
by Eric Cole
A business impact assessment is a process used to help business units understand the impact of a disruptive event. This phase includes the execution of a vulnerability assessment. A business impact assessment is performed as one step ...
by Kathleen M. Immordino
Organizational assessment is a systematic process for examining an organization to create a shared understanding of the current state of the elements that are critical to the ...
A Guide for Students in the Multicultural University by Carol Dalglish, Peter Evans (FAICD.), Lynda Lawson
Assessment is not there to catch you out. The lecturers are not trying to trick you. For your qualifications to be worth anything, a certain standard needs to be attained. Assessment is a way of determining whether you have reached the ...
by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros
something which happens at the end of the process of learning is no longer widespread; assessment is now represented as a tool for learning (Dochy & McDowell, 1997). The changing learning society has generated the so-called assessment ...
by Lawrence A. Tomei
Assessment Taxonomy: Education Citation. The process of gathering information or data for the purpose of determining if outcomes of a curriculum have been met, either on the part of the student or the educator. The criteria being reviewed ...
The Encyclopedia of Aging (2006)
Fourth Edition, 2-Volume Set by Richard Schulz
The Multiphasic Environmental Assessment Procedure (MEAP; Moos & Lemke, 1988) is the most well developed measure for residential, planned settings and provides descriptive and evaluative assessments along multiple dimensions.
by Thomas Fagan, Paul G. Warden
ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT: TRADITIONAL 3 Strengths and weaknesses can be identified that assist in instructional planning related particularly to developing and evaluating effective interventions. Informal assessment and related ...
Encyclopedia of Multimedia (2008)
by Borko Furht
BOVIK University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA Synonym ▷Quality of images signals; Quality of video signals Definition Image and video quality assessment deals with quantifying the quality of ...
Exclusive of the Metropolis
Assessment for proposed charge.] The council shall not sooner ...
Volume 22 - Supplement 1 - Applications of Negotiating and Learning Agents to User Query Performance with Database Feedback by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
ASSESSMENT. OF. END-USER. TRAINING. NEEDS. Recent studies estimate that of the more than $50 billion that U.S. organizations spend on training annually , well over $5 billion is directed toward the users of information ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Panel 5: Assessment
Developing assessment criteria and metadata standards.
Mark Conrad, NARA
Jane Greenberg, Dryad
John Graybeal, Ocean Observatories Iniative (OOI)
Steve Richard, Arizona Geological Society
Photo credit: anderbill
- Assessment Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
The Nursing and Midwifery Council Standards for pre-registration education call for the nurse to be able to undertake and document a comprehensive, systematic and accurate nursing assessment of the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of patients, clients and communities. Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! provides the know-how nurses need to interview patients, obtain health histories, perform physical examinations, and interpret findings.
The skills covered in Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! are fundamental to the delivery of excellent health care, and can help you to make a real difference to the quality of care that your patients receive. Reader-friendly features include abundant illustrations, cartoons, checklists, quick quizzes, memory joggers and chapter summaries.
Photo credit: Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
- Special Forces Assessment and Selection
Photo credit: USAJFKSWCS
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary Assessment
Vocabulary Assessment PD using KIPP Word Study Modules from Marzano Research Laboratories.
- Assessment Definition
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) Author Interview
An innovative new measure, the Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) present full-color photographs to measure the breadth of an individual's vocabulary and ora...
- Making Meaning: Assessment
- The next best thing in speaking assessment Vocabulary
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Debreif assessment explanation video
- The Resurgence of China's Criminal Underworld: Assessment and Explanation
Speaker: Ming Xia Based upon a database compiled by the author, this presentation provides an overview of the development of China's criminal underworld duri...
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of competenc...
- Assessment Vocabulary
Idaho Leads Project Assessment Vocabulary challenge course.
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- Assessment of Receptive Vocabulary
Determining the receptive vocabulary level on the PPVT will assist in planning vocabulary interventions.
- Teaching Vocabulary - Assessment
LAI 574 - Week 6 Tech Bonus; Diagnostic, Formative, and Summative Assessment.
- BE1174 Assessment Explanation with Q&A
- FCE Speaking - Grammar and Vocabulary Assessment
Assessment criteria - Grammar and vocabulary. Control simple grammar and attempt complex forms.
- Spicy Karl Assessment - BK 1 Rib Sandwich and Explanation on the Lost Original
Your Uncle "Spicy" Karl explains the new Rib Sandwich from BK without actually eating it because he is an idiot and deleted the original.
- Assessment Explanation: Environment Shaping Us
- Peabody Vocabulary Assessment
Recorded on September 23, 2012 using a Flip Video camera.
- Fluency and Vocabulary Assessment and Instruction
Fluency and Vocab Assessment and Instruction.
- Standards-Based Assessment for ESL Curriculum
A mini lecture that reviews assessments based on standards - typically these are exams (achievement, proficiency, diagnostic, placement) They are usually tes...
- Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students
Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students.
- Assessment of English Language Learners
Featuring Dr. Lorraine Valdez Pierce, discussing effective classroom strategies for assessing English language learners.
- Online ESL Assessment Orientation with Juan
- ESL Authentic Assessment Pilot at La Follette High School Semester 1 - Food
- TSI Assessment Description
TSI Assessment is a computer adaptive test for students entering Texas colleges. The TSI measures skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Assessment Case Stud of an ELL/ESL/EFL Student
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" ca...
- Second speaking assessment - Description of a place
- Preschool for ELLs: Language Learning and Assessment
Dr. Palacios discusses language learning and assessment best practices/strategies for preschool programs serving ELLs.
View more videos about Language Assessment.
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Quotes about Assessment
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Assessment to see it in context!