The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun assessment
What does assessment mean as a name of something?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: assessments
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
Alternative definition of the noun assessment
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Specialised definition of the noun assessment
Glossary of sports
careful consideration of something to make a judgment about it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a judgment based on evidence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Phrases with Assessment
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (9 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skills, attitudes and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole. According to the Academic Exchange Quarterly: "Studies of a theoretical or empirical nature addressing the assessment of learner aptitude and preparation, motivation and learning styles, learning outcomes in achievement and satisfaction in different educational contexts are all welcome, as are studies addressing issues of measurable standards and benchmarks".
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is R. Michael Bagby.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
by Mary Lou Kelley, George H. Noell, David Reitman
Functional assessment is a conceptual model that was derived from operant principles of learning and behavior.
Indirect assessment is the gathering of information through interviews and/or rating scales from informants who have witnessed ...
The Pacific Reporter (1918)
A special benefit assessment is a proceeding In invitum, ...
by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros
something which happens at the end of the process of learning is no longer widespread; assessment is now represented as a tool for learning (Dochy & McDowell, 1997). The changing learning society has generated the so-called assessment ...
by Lawrence A. Tomei
Assessment Taxonomy: Education Citation. The process of gathering information or data for the purpose of determining if outcomes of a curriculum have been met, either on the part of the student or the educator. The criteria being reviewed ...
by Thomas Fagan, Paul G. Warden
ACADEMIC ASSESSMENT: TRADITIONAL 3 Strengths and weaknesses can be identified that assist in instructional planning related particularly to developing and evaluating effective interventions. Informal assessment and related ...
Encyclopedia of Multimedia (2008)
by Borko Furht
BOVIK University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA Synonym ▷Quality of images signals; Quality of video signals Definition Image and video quality assessment deals with quantifying the quality of ...
Volume 22 - Supplement 1 - Applications of Negotiating and Learning Agents to User Query Performance with Database Feedback by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
ASSESSMENT. OF. END-USER. TRAINING. NEEDS. Recent studies estimate that of the more than $50 billion that U.S. organizations spend on training annually , well over $5 billion is directed toward the users of information ...
Charles R Ridley Culturally competent assessment is more than the adequacy of tests to measure the abilities of culturally and linguistically diverse student populations. It is a comprehensive process involving the implementation of various ...
Exclusive of the Metropolis by Sir Joshua Scholefield
— Under this heading it is intended to describe only the procedure under the Union Assessment Committee Acts. In a few large towns the Union Assessment Committee Acts are not in force, and there are special Acts regulatmg the ...
by Cecil R. Reynolds, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen
Scatter plot assessment is an observational method used to identify temporal conditions and (in some formats) other stimulus conditions that may reliably predict the occurrence or absence of problem behavior. A scatter plot typically re- ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Panel 5: Assessment
Developing assessment criteria and metadata standards.
Mark Conrad, NARA
Jane Greenberg, Dryad
John Graybeal, Ocean Observatories Iniative (OOI)
Steve Richard, Arizona Geological Society
Photo credit: anderbill
- Special Forces Assessment and Selection
Photo credit: USAJFKSWCS
- Assessment Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
The Nursing and Midwifery Council Standards for pre-registration education call for the nurse to be able to undertake and document a comprehensive, systematic and accurate nursing assessment of the physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs of patients, clients and communities. Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! provides the know-how nurses need to interview patients, obtain health histories, perform physical examinations, and interpret findings.
The skills covered in Assessment Made Incredibly Easy! are fundamental to the delivery of excellent health care, and can help you to make a real difference to the quality of care that your patients receive. Reader-friendly features include abundant illustrations, cartoons, checklists, quick quizzes, memory joggers and chapter summaries.
Photo credit: Made Incredibly Easy UK Editions
- Special Forces Assessment and Selection
Photo credit: USAJFKSWCS
- Natural Resource Damage Assessment of Restoration
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologists at the Natural Resources Damage Assessment and Restoration response planning cell near Mobile, Ala. during the BP Oil Spill Response by Tom MacKenzie, USFWS June 6, 2010 4389
Photo credit: USFWS/Southeast
- Trevallyn assessment
Unofficial sustainability assessment of the Trevallyn Power Development, Tasmania, Australia
Find out more about the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol: hydrosustainability.org
Photo credit: IHA Central Office
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Vocabulary Assessment
Vocabulary Assessment PD using KIPP Word Study Modules from Marzano Research Laboratories.
- Teaching Vocabulary - Assessment
LAI 574 - Week 6 Tech Bonus; Diagnostic, Formative, and Summative Assessment.
- Assessment Definition
- The next best thing in speaking assessment Vocabulary
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of competenc...
- The Resurgence of China's Criminal Underworld: Assessment and Explanation
Speaker: Ming Xia Based upon a database compiled by the author, this presentation provides an overview of the development of China's criminal underworld duri...
- Assessment Vocabulary
Idaho Leads Project Assessment Vocabulary challenge course.
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- BE1174 Assessment Explanation with Q&A
- Assessment Explanation
Explanation for Assessment Task 1.
- Assessment of Receptive Vocabulary
Determining the receptive vocabulary level on the PPVT will assist in planning vocabulary interventions.
- FCE Speaking - Grammar and Vocabulary Assessment
Assessment criteria - Grammar and vocabulary. Control simple grammar and attempt complex forms.
- Ensuring students understand terminology and assessment criteria
- Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) Author Interview
An innovative new measure, the Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) present full-color photographs to measure the breadth of an individual's vocabulary and ora...
- Assessment Explanation: Environment Shaping Us
- Peabody Vocabulary Assessment
Recorded on September 23, 2012 using a Flip Video camera.
- Definition of a an Assessment
Vince Hernandez from the San Joaquin County Office of Education explains what assessment is and how it is measured.
- Scoring Terminology in Assessment
- Language Assessment Principles
This mini lecture continues the discussion on language assessment and covers a number of vital items of information including: Practicality Reliability Valid...
- Language Assessment: Designing a Language Test
This mini-lesson is a continuation of a review in Language Assessment, which focuses on the components included in a typical test. Additionally, this lecture...
- Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students
Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students.
- Language Assessment: Concepts and Issues
This mini lecture is the first in a series that reviews Language assessment in the classroom. It is loosely based on Brown, H.D. & Priyanvada, A. (2010). Lan...
- 3. Free English Language Assessment Video
- Assessment of English Language Learners
Featuring Dr. Lorraine Valdez Pierce, discussing effective classroom strategies for assessing English language learners.
- TSI Assessment Description
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" ca...
- Second speaking assessment - Description of a place
- World Language Assessment | Assessing Communication
In this program, Lisa Myhre and Terry Neumann-Hayes have their students demonstrate the three modes of communication with classroom performance assessments. ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Quotes about Assessment
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Assessment to see it in context!