The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
Definition of Assessment
What does Assessment mean?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- example: the assessment for repairs outraged the club's membership
- more generic word: charge = financial liabilities
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Phrases with Assessment
- tax assessment
- Disc Assessment
- special assessment
- logistic assessment
- personality assessment
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (4 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (9 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skills, attitudes and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole. According to the Academic Exchange Quarterly: "Studies of a theoretical or empirical nature addressing the assessment of learner aptitude and preparation, motivation and learning styles, learning outcomes in achievement and satisfaction in different educational contexts are all welcome, as are studies addressing issues of measurable standards and benchmarks".
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is R. Michael Bagby.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
Encyclopedia of Psychological Assessment (2002)
by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros
something which happens at the end of the process of learning is no longer widespread; assessment is now represented as a tool for learning (Dochy & McDowell, 1997). The changing learning society has generated the so-called assessment ...
Lexicon of Online and Distance Learning (2009)
by Lawrence A. Tomei
Assessment Taxonomy: Education Citation. The process of gathering information or data for the purpose of determining if outcomes of a curriculum have been met, either on the part of the student or the educator. The criteria being reviewed ...
Encyclopedia of Multimedia (2008)
by Borko Furht
BOVIK University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA Synonym ▷Quality of images signals; Quality of video signals Definition Image and video quality assessment deals with quantifying the quality of ...
Encyclopedia of Local Government Law (1907)
Exclusive of the Metropolis by Sir Joshua Scholefield
Where the union has the same bounds as a municipal borough, the borough council may, in certain circumstances, appoint additional members of the committee from among its own members (Union Assessment Committee Act, 1862, s. 3.) ...
Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural School Psychology (2009)
by Caroline S. Clauss-Ehlers
Charles R Ridley Culturally competent assessment is more than the adequacy of tests to measure the abilities of culturally and linguistically diverse student populations. It is a comprehensive process involving the implementation of various ...
Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science (2000)
Volume 66 - Supplement 29 - Automated System for the Generation of Document Indexes to Volume Visualization by Allen Kent
ASSESSMENT. AND. DESCRIPTION. Introduction The term conspectus in the library environment is associated with applications of specific methodologies to assess and describe library collections. In reality, the term can be applied to any ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Panel 5: Assessment
Developing assessment criteria and metadata standards.
Mark Conrad, NARA
Jane Greenberg, Dryad
John Graybeal, Ocean Observatories Iniative (OOI)
Steve Richard, Arizona Geological Society
Photo credit: anderbill
- Trevallyn assessment
Unofficial sustainability assessment of the Trevallyn Power Development, Tasmania, Australia
Find out more about the Hydropower Sustainability Assessment Protocol: hydrosustainability.org
Photo credit: IHA Central Office
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Peabody Vocabulary Assessment
Recorded on September 23, 2012 using a Flip Video camera.
- BE1174 Assessment Explanation with Q&A
- Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) Author Interview
An innovative new measure, the Vocabulary Assessment Scales (VAS) present full-color photographs to measure the breadth of an individual's vocabulary and ora...
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of competenc...
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- Assessment Explanation: Environment Shaping Us
- Ensuring students understand terminology and assessment criteria
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Fluency and Vocabulary Assessment and Instruction
Fluency and Vocab Assessment and Instruction.
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- An Explanation of the Assessment Notice
Created on January 30, 2012 using FlipShare.
- Assessment Definition
- The Resurgence of China's Criminal Underworld: Assessment and Explanation
Speaker: Ming Xia Based upon a database compiled by the author, this presentation provides an overview of the development of China's criminal underworld duri...
- Assessment of Receptive Vocabulary
Determining the receptive vocabulary level on the PPVT will assist in planning vocabulary interventions.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = System quality assurance assessment and review services
- Scoring Terminology in Assessment
- Vocabulary Retention Assessment for First Grade
Teacher created activity/game to review and assess the vocabulary learned in Spanish class.
- Spicy Karl Assessment - BK 1 Rib Sandwich and Explanation on the Lost Original
Your Uncle "Spicy" Karl explains the new Rib Sandwich from BK without actually eating it because he is an idiot and deleted the original.
- Explanation of RATs (Readiness Assessment Tests)
3. Dr. Hessler describes the process of creating & using Readiness Assessment Tests (RATS), a key component of TBL.
- Language Assessment: Concepts and Issues
This mini lecture is the first in a series that reviews Language assessment in the classroom. It is loosely based on Brown, H.D. & Priyanvada, A. (2010). Lan...
- World Language Assessment | Types of Assessment
Kari Flenz and Heather Lawnicki use a variety of assessments that work together as students progress throughout a school year. Segment #1: Kari Flenz (Menash...
- Assessment Case Stud of an ELL/ESL/EFL Student
- World Language Assessment | Assessing Communication
In this program, Lisa Myhre and Terry Neumann-Hayes have their students demonstrate the three modes of communication with classroom performance assessments. ...
- Language Assessment Principles
This mini lecture continues the discussion on language assessment and covers a number of vital items of information including: Practicality Reliability Valid...
- Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students
Using Web 2.0 Tools for Alternative Assessment of ESL Students.
- ESL Authentic Assessment Pilot at La Follette High School Semester 1 - Food
- Language Assessment: Designing a Language Test
This mini-lesson is a continuation of a review in Language Assessment, which focuses on the components included in a typical test. Additionally, this lecture...
- 3. Free English Language Assessment Video
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" ca...
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Assessment to find many related words and phrases!