The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun assessment:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun assessment
- Phrases with Assessment
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Assessment
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
- Photos about Assessment
- Video language resources about Assessment
- Sign language
- Quotes about Assessment
- Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Assessment is a member of the word family assess, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun assessment
What does assessment mean as a name of something?
Assessment is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: assessments
- the classification of someone or something with respect to its worth
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of assessment: appraisal
- more generic words: categorisation / categorization / classification / sorting = the basic cognitive process of arranging into classes or categories
- more specific terms:
- critical appraisal / critical analysis = an appraisal based on careful analytical evaluation
- evaluation / valuation / rating = an appraisal of the value of something
- assay / check = an appraisal of the state of affairs
- acid test = a rigorous or crucial appraisal
- reassessment / reappraisal / revaluation / review = a new appraisal or evaluation
- underevaluation = an appraisal that underestimates the value of something
- an amount determined as payable
- the market value set on assets
- the act of judging or assessing a person or situation or event
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of assessment: judgement / judgment
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- justice = judgment involved in the determination of rights and the assignment of rewards and punishments
- adjudication = the final judgment in a legal proceeding
- disapproval = the act of disapproving or condemning
- evaluation / rating = act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- estimation / estimate = a judgment of the qualities of something or somebody
- logistic assessment = a judgment of the logistic support required for some particular military operation
- value judgement / value judgment = an assessment that reveals more about the values of the person making the assessment than about the reality of what is assessed
Alternative definition of the noun assessment
- The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.
- An appraisal or evaluation.
Specialised definition of the noun assessment
Glossary of sports
careful consideration of something to make a judgment about it (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
a judgment based on evidence (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Assessment" is a 2010 short film written and directed by Mark Gutteridge.
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Assessment" is a book by Bertie Kingore.
- "Assessment" is a book by William V. Mayer.
- also known as "Assessment: a practical guide to improving the quality and scope of assessment instruments"
"Assessment" is a musical single of The Beta Band.
- released on (10 years ago)
- Assessment a.k.a. Educational assessment is the process of documenting, usually in measurable terms, knowledge, skill, attitudes, and beliefs. Assessment can focus on the individual learner, the learning community, the institution, or the educational system as a whole.
- read more about Educational assessment
- Assessment is a peer-reviewed academic journal that covers research in the field of psychology, especially applied clinical assessment. The editor-in-chief is Aaron L. Pincus.
Phrases with Assessment
- tax assessment
- Disc Assessment
- Risk assessment
- special assessment
- logistic assessment
- personality assessment
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Assessment
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Wells Aleck Hutchins
Assessment is a lien from and after first Monday in March for any year. - Colorado .—All district taxes are special taxes. An additional issue or series of bonds shall be subject to the first issue. Idaho.—Assessment is a lien from and after first ...
by Stephen N. Haynes, William Hayes O'Brien
Introduction In Chapter 3 we discussed the conditional utility of the elements of the behavioral assessment paradigm: Behavioral assessment is a functional approach to assessment in that the utility of each element of the paradigm varies ...
The Power of Family Unity (2013)
How to Use it to Gain Economical Freedom for Generations by Rashid Rashad
Needs assessment is a systematic process for determining and addressing needs or gaps between current conditions and desired...
A Guide to Teaching Practice (2004)
by Louis Cohen, Lawrence Manion, Keith Morrison
Assessment is a major contributor to raising standards in schools1 in terms of teaching, learning and student achievement.
by Abby S. Bloch
Nutrition assessment is an ongoing, dynamic process that involves not only initial data collection but also continual reassessment and...
data are related to outcomes to be measured, recommended guidelines, and whether the assessment is an initial one or a reassessment.
Realization that nutrition assessment is a systematic process, which requires judgment on the part of the dietetics professional to ...
by Francis J. Turner
Although often presented as a unitary act, assessment is a process that continues throughout a case, as situations...
For those who view diagnosis as a narrow search for pathology, assessment is a preferable term, apparently because it is ...
Survival of the Fittest (2013)
The Shifting Contours of Higher Education in China and the United States by Qi Li, Cynthia Gerstl-Pepin
Pepin Abstract Assessment is the evaluation of student learning in specific learning outcomes such as integrative thinking,
Assessment is a critical component in moving higher education out of the regimented industrial age into the ...
Risk Assessment Methods (1993)
Approaches for Assessing Health and Environmental Risks by V.T. Covello, M.W. Merkhoher
CHAPTER 3 Exposure Assessment Exposure assessment is the process of measuring or estimating the intensity, frequency, and duration of human or other population exposures to risk agents. Exposures may occur in a variety of ways, such ...
by Xiufeng Liu
Assessment is a routine task for all teachers; you may think that conducting science assessment requires no more than...
by Joseph Pinson
Assessment is a continuing process that allows for continual refinement during the course of treatment.
Effective assessment is the first step in protocol planning (Michel and Pinson 2005, 2012) that is a regimen for prioritizing needs in an ...
by Florian, John Hegarty
Assessment is an integral and essential part of all good teaching.
Formative assessment is a much more fluid process that is mostly carried out informally, with the teacher noting that students who have failed to reach expected levels of ...
Lessons from the Middle (2001)
High-end Learning for Middle School Students by TX Assoc for Gifted, Sandra Nina Kaplan, Michael W. Cannon
Classroom assessment is a means to an end, rather than an end in itself. Stated more simply, classroom assessment is the assessment process that yields formative or in-progress information leading to a determination of the student's needs ...
Evaluating the Impact of the Graduate Fellowship Programme of the International Livestock Research Institute (2002)
A Tools and Process Report
Impact assessment is the highest of these four levels and it is characterised by two main factors.
Secondly, impact assessment is an extraordinary activity in research management, and is best conducted by a team external to the training ...
by Lynne Kelly, Arden K. Watson
The term listener assessment means that we study and observe our listeners so that our communication behavior is appropriate...
A second value of situation and listener assessment is that it will enhance the possibility of your accomplishing ...
by Ann McDonald
Good-quality assessment is the cornerstone of effective social work practice, whatever the setting (McDonald, 2006).
12th International Conference, KES 2008, Zagreb, Croatia, September 3-5, 2008, Proceedings by Ignac Lovrek, Robert J. Howlett, L. C. Jain
Risk assessment is a common first step and also the most important step in a risk management process. Risk assessment is the determination of quantitative or qualitative value of risk related to a concrete situation and a recognized threat.
Chemicals in the Environment (2006)
Assessing and Managing Risk by Ronald E. Hester, R. M. Harrison, Royal Society of Chemistry (Great Britain)
Risk assessment is the process of estimating the likelihood that a particular event will occur under a given set of circumstances.
by Michael Pecht
Manufacturer, part, and distributor assessments Manufacturer assessment is an evaluation of the part manufacturer's ability to produce parts with consistent quality. Part assessment is the determination of the candidate part's quality and ...
by Rocio Fernandez-Ballesteros
INTRODUCTION Needs assessment can be broadly defined as a systematic set of procedures to identify needs, prioritize them and make decisions concerning programme improvement based on these needs (Witkin & Altschuld, 2000).
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2008)
by Frederick T. Leong
Assessment, Testing, and Research Methods Academic Achievement (Vol. 2) Academic Achievement, Nature and Use of (Vol. 4) Achievement, Aptitude, and Ability Tests (Vol. 4) Adaptive Behavior Testing (Vol. 2) Adult Career Concerns ...
The Comprehensive Resource on Geriatric and Social Care, Second Edition by Eugenia L. Siegler, MD, FACP, Elizabeth Capezuti, PhD, RN, FAAN, Mathy Mezey, EdD, RN, FAAN
Multidimensional Functional Assessment Questionnaires CAREa MAI OARS Pathfinder Profile Activities of daily living Instrumental ++ ++ ++ ++ Basic ++ ++ ++ ++ ...
by Neil J. Salkind
The National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP), also known as the Nation's Report Card, serves to measure student academic performance using a representative sampling process. NAEP has measured educational achievement ...
Volume 66 - Supplement 29 - Automated System for the Generation of Document Indexes to Volume Visualization by Allen Kent
ASSESSMENT. AND. DESCRIPTION. Introduction The term conspectus in the library environment is associated with applications of specific methodologies to assess and describe library collections. In reality, the term can be applied to any ...
A Trainer's Guide to Theory, Terminology, and Practice by David H. Miles
A needs assessment is a systematic study or survey of an organization for the purpose of making recommendations, and is often employed in performance consulting to get to the cause of a performance problem. Thus typically, a needs ...
Impact and Implications by Martin East
Secondly, there is conflict and debate, particularly at a theoretical level among the assessment ex- perts, over two opposing value systems that underpin different assessment practices. Perspectives concerning what makes a fair test differ ...
Supporting CINCs will provide an assessment on movement of forces from point of origin to aerial port of embarkation and/or seaport of embarkation. c. The Commander in Chief, United States Transportation Command will assess the strategic ...
by Rosalinda T. Lagua, Virginia Serraon Claudio
Assessment. of. Nutritional. Status. Body Area Normal Appearance Signs Associated with Malnutrition Hair Face Eyes Lips Tongue Teeth Gums Glands Nails Shiny; firm; not easily plucked Skin color uniform; smooth, pink, and healthy ...
for Nurses and Healthcare Workers by Barbara F. Weller
ulcer assessment scales regular assessment of the patient's nutrition, general condition especially of the skin and pressure areas, is focal in the prevention of pressure ulcers. Pressure ulcer risk assessment scales are used to monitor and ...
Dictionary Skills Grade 4 (2005)
by Sarah Beatty
Assessment. (cont.) For #9–12, choose the correct way to divide the following words into syllables. 9. turtle 11. modern A mode rn C mo dern B m odern D mod ern 12. patient A pat ient C patie nt B pa tient D pati ent 13. Which is the meaning ...
by Allan Jamieson, Andre Moenssens
and Xylene BTU British Thermal Unit BWC Biological and Toxins Weapons Convention BWS Battered Woman Syndrome CA Carbonic Anhydrase CA Cytosine-Adenine CABs Conformity Assessment Bodies CABL Compositional Analysis of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Assessment
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Assessment
Click on an item to view that photo:
two different forms of assessment and both getting the message across.
Photo credit: Leonard J Matthews
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, female.
Photo credit: Corn Farmer
Photo credit: AinisR
- An Assessment
Photo credit: Adam Witwer
- MRC Assessment
Reading Assessment Race
Photo credit: paddling
- Fair assessment
Photo credit: tompagenet
- RDF Assessment Training Ex in Glen of Imal
RDF Assessement Training Ex in Glen of Imal including avisit to troops by Maj Gen Ralph James DCOS ops
Photo credit: Irish Defence Forces
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Assessment
Click on an item to play that video:
- Student Learning Assessment - Definition & Key Questions
Dr. Cori Fata-Hartley. Part of the 2013 MSU Preparing Future Faculty to Assess Student Learning Spring Institute.
- Risk assessment Meaning
Video shows what risk assessment means. The overall process of identifying all the risks to and from an activity and assessing the potential impact of each risk.
- Competency Assessment | Competency Definition | Competency Based Interview Questions
Competency Assessment and Competency Definition improves the focus of competency based interviewing. This Competency Guide clarifies the meaning of ...
- Debreif assessment explanation video
- FAIR Assessment Explanation
- Assessment Vocabulary
Idaho Leads Project Assessment Vocabulary challenge course.
- Assessment Meaning
Video shows what assessment means. The act of assessing or an amount (of tax, levy or duty etc) assessed.. An appraisal or evaluation.. Assessment Meaning.
- Associating an assessment definition with a case
- Lesson One - IELTS Assessment Criteria - Vocabulary Exercise - IELTS Preparation Series 3
See more video...
- DISC assessment Meaning
Video shows what DISC assessment means. A group of psychometric tests based on word association.. DISC assessment Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- The next best thing in speaking assessment Vocabulary
- Assessment Definition
- Pig Cooker Hazard Assessment Explanation
- Spicy Karl Assessment - BK 1 Rib Sandwich and Explanation on the Lost Original
- Teaching Vocabulary - Assessment
LAI 574 - Week 6 Tech Bonus; Diagnostic, Formative, and Summative Assessment.
- Head to Toe Assessment with Explanation
This video is a demonstration a mock head to toe assessment for the LVN student with an explanation as it progresses.
- Vocabulary Assessment
Vocabulary Assessment PD using KIPP Word Study Modules from Marzano Research Laboratories.
- FCE Speaking - Grammar and Vocabulary Assessment
Assessment criteria - Grammar and vocabulary. Control simple grammar and attempt complex forms.
- Sadlier's Vocabulary Workshop, Online Student Assessment System Demonstration
- Assessment What to submit [workplace] VIDEO explanation
- Standards-Based Assessment for ESL Curriculum
A mini lecture that reviews assessments based on standards - typically these are exams (achievement, proficiency, diagnostic, placement) They are usually tests ...
- Assessment of English Language Learners
Featuring Dr. Lorraine Valdez Pierce, discussing effective classroom strategies for assessing English language learners.
- TSI Assessment Description
TSI Assessment is a computer adaptive test for students entering Texas colleges. The TSI measures skills in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics.
- Figurative Language in Music Assessment
For use with a class handout asking students to identify various types of figurative language. An updated version featuring "Fun." and "Justin Timberlake" can be ...
- Authentic Assessment for English Language Learners
Mainstream teacher describes authentic assessment in her third grade classroom.
- ESL Authentic Assessment Pilot at La Follette High School Semester 1 - Food
- Second speaking assessment - Description of a place
- LPAC:Language Proficiency Assessment Commitee
The Language Proficiency Assessment Commitee must evaluate every ESL and ELL student to decide if the student must remain in a bilingual education ...
- Deborah Crusan talks about Assessment in the Second Language Writing Classroom
Why should language teachers read this book?
- English Language Controlled Assessment - Creative Writing
An introductory guide to the basics of the English Language Controlled Assessment for Creative Writing.
See also the pronunciation examples of Assessment!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Assessment
Scrabble value of A1S1S1E1S1S1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Assessment to see it in context!