Association appears in the following tongue twister:
- National Sheepshire Sheep Association
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun association:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun association
- Phrases with Association
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Association
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Association
- Photos about Association
- Video language resources about Association
- Sign language
- Quotes about Association
- Scrabble value of A1S1S1O1C3I1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun association
What does association mean as a name of something?
Association is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: associations
- a formal organization of people or groups of people
- example: he joined the Modern Language Association
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic words: organisation / organization = a group of people who work together
- more specific terms:
- American Baptist Convention / Northern Baptist Convention = an association of Northern Baptists
- Southern Baptist Convention = an association of Southern Baptists
- cooperative = an association formed and operated for the benefit of those using it
- social club / society / guild / lodge / order / club / gild = a formal association of people with similar interests
- fellowship / family = an association of people who share common beliefs or activities
- American Legion = the largest organization of United States war veterans
- Veterans of Foreign Wars / VFW = an organization of United States war veterans
- conference / league = an association of sports teams that organizes matches for its members
- secret society = a society that conceals its activities from nonmembers
- consortium / syndicate / pool = an association of companies for some definite purpose
- professional association = an association of practitioners of a given profession
- Fabian Society = an association of British socialists who advocate gradual reforms within the law leading to democratic socialism
- gang / pack / ring / mob = an association of criminals
- legion = association of ex-servicemen
- chamber of commerce = an association of businessmen to protect and promote business interests
- institute = an association organized to promote art or science or education
- sisterhood / sistership = an association or society of women who are linked together by a common religion or trade or interest
- Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons / AARP = an association of people to promote the welfare of senior citizens
- National Association of Realtors = a United States association of real estate agents which follows a strict code of ethics
- Association of Southeast Asian Nations / ASEAN = an association of nations dedicated to economic and political cooperation in southeastern Asia and who joined with the United States to fight against global terrorism
- the act of consorting with or joining with others
- example: you cannot be convicted of criminal guilt by association
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic term: social activity = activity considered appropriate on social occasions
- more specific words:
- the state of being connected together as in memory or imagination
- the process of bringing ideas or events together in memory or imagination
- example: conditioning is a form of learning by association
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of association: connection / connexion
- more generic words: memory / remembering = the cognitive processes whereby past experience is remembered
- more specific word: colligation = the connection of isolated facts by a general hypothesis
- a social or business relationship
- a relation resulting from interaction or dependence
- examples: flints were found in association with the prehistoric remains of the bear | the host is not always injured by association with a parasite
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- more generic word: relation = an abstraction belonging to or characteristic of two entities or parts together
- (chemistry) any process of combination (especially in solution) that depends on relatively weak chemical bonding
- domain: chemical science / chemistry
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- more generic terms: chemical action / chemical change / chemical process = any process determined by the atomic and molecular composition and structure of the substances involved
- more specific words:
- (ecology) a group of organisms (plants and animals) that live together in a certain geographical region and constitute a community with a few dominant species
- domain: bionomics / ecology / environmental science
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic words: group / grouping = any number of entities (members) considered as a unit
- more specific word: antibiosis = an association between organisms that is harmful to one of them or between organisms and a metabolic product of another
Alternative definition of the noun association
- The act of associating.
- The state of being associated; a connection to or an affiliation with something.
- A group of persons associated for a common purpose; an organization; society.
Specialised definition of the noun association
Glossary of justice
time when prisoners are allowed to mix with each other outside their cells
- region: UK
Association a.k.a. The Association is an American pop band from California in the folk rock or soft rock genre. During the 1960s, they had numerous hits at or near the top of the Billboard charts and were the lead-off band at 1967's Monterey Pop Festival.
- read more about The Association (folk rock artist)
- "Association" is a musical album.
- artist: Rum Runner
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Association" a.k.a. "Association!" is a musical single of Teenage Fanclub & International Airport.
"Association" is a book by David Phinnemore.
- also known as "Association: stepping-stone or alternative to EU membership?"
- Association in psychology refers to a connection between conceptual entities or mental states that results from the similarity between those states or their proximity in space or time. The idea stems from Plato and Aristotle, especially with regard to the succession of memories, and it was carried on by philosophers such as John Locke, David Hume, David Hartley, James Mill, John Stuart Mill, and Alexander Bain. It finds its place in modern psychology in such areas as conditioning and in neural network models of memory.
- also known as 聯想
- Association: In community ecology and phytosociology an association is a type of ecological community with a predictable species composition, consistent physiognomy which occurs in a particular habitat type. The term was first coined by Alexander von Humboldt and formalised by the International Botanical Congress in 1910.
- Association: In statistics, an association is any relationship between two measured quantities that renders them statistically dependent. The term "association" is closely related to the term "correlation." Both terms imply that two or more variables vary according to some pattern. However, correlation is more rigidly defined by some correlation coefficient which measures the degree to which the association of the variables tends to a certain pattern.
- Association: In object-oriented programming, association defines a relationship between classes of objects that allows one object instance to cause another to perform an action on its behalf. This relationship is structural, because it specifies that objects of one kind are connected to objects of another and does not represent behaviour.
- Association: An association is a combined or co-added group of astronomical exposures from which cosmic rays have been removed. WFPC2 associations constitute one type of association and are tools in the Hubble Space Telescope archive for using data from the Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2. Associations were introduced in the HST archive at the beginning of 1998. Since then, astronomers have been able to retrieve on-the-fly re-calibrated co-added WFPC2 images that have already been cleaned of cosmic rays from the Space Telescope European Coordinating Facility, the Canadian Astronomy Data Centre and Space Telescope Science Institute archives.
- Association is a type of organization.
Phrases with Association
Phrases starting with the word Association:
- association area
- Association list
- association cortex
- association theory
- association football
- association of orangemen
Phrases ending with the word Association:
- Bar association
- free association
- Word Association
- press association
- Alumni association
- Damn by Association
- guilt by association
- Damned by Association
- world tamil association
- professional association
- national rifle association
- ulster defence association
- savings and loan association
- national volunteers association
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Association
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Rahman, Syed M.
Contextual association is an n-ary relationship between n semantic units in context. For instance, a contextual...
Structural association is a binary association between instances of semantic units in composition structure. For instance in ...
Persistent Programming Languages, Object Stores, and Programming Environments by Malcolm P. Atkinson, Ray Welland
An association is a modifiable set of tuples which is used to represent the existence of associations between classes of objects, in a way which resembles how n-m associations are represented in relational schemas: to represent the fact that ...
Creative Neighbourhoods (2005)
The Role of the Arts in Building Sustainable Communities by Graeme Beedham, Alvin Wade
Taff Housing Association is an Industrial and Provident Society, with charitable rules. It is registered with the National Assembly of...
Making Sense of Data (2001)
A Self-Instruction Manual on the Interpretation of Epidemiological Data by J. H. Abramson, Z. H. Abramson
The association is a positive one. Low body weights hang together with low blood pressures; that is, the variables tend to go in the same direction. 8. True. There is a positive association between smoking and influenza. "Positive" does not ...
The Association is a leading advocate for Nevada retailers and has a reputation as one of the most effective pro-business organizations in the state.
by Fibre Channel Industry Association
The Fibre Channel Association is a group of companies involved in developing devices and technologies used with Fibre Channel, a very high-speed bus technology capable of bi-directional data transfer at rates in excess of one gigabit per ...
Record of proceedings (1993)
And that is the point of the FLO's single standard : for the advance of freedom of association means the advance of democracy,
This threat to freedom of association is a threat to democracy, and not just in newly democratising countries.
by Robert A. Hanneman, Augustine J. Kposowa, Mark D. Riddle
VISUALIZING INTERVAL/RATIO ASSOCIATION With nominal variables, association means that certain kinds of X's tend to also be certain kinds of Y's. With ordinal variables, association means that if a case ranks higher than another on X, we ...
by Carol S Aneshensel
Association: The Basic Building Block Association is an integral component of the logic used to establish causality.
Medicine, Medicine by CTI Reviews
The American School Health Association is a professional association. It claims a membership of 2,000 members in 56...
by Peter Bink, Hans van den Brink, Robert Louwers, William Maas, Jolijn Onvlee, Wim Visser, and others
Association An association is a structural relationship between objects. An example is the relationship between customer and order. Within the Class- diagram, association is the simplest type of relationship. Just as in a traditional entity ...
by CTI Reviews
The American Psychiatric Association is the main professional organization of psychiatrists and trainee psychiatrists in the United States, and the largest psychiatric organization in the world. Its some 36,000 members are mainly American but ...
The Washington Technology Industry Association is the largest state-wide association of technology companies and...
The association is a mutualistic symbiosis with the fungi enhancing nutrient capture for the plant while obtaining carbon in return. Although arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi (AMF) lack any substantial saprophytic capability they do preferentially ...
CFTC and SEC : issues related to the ShadJohnson Jurisdictional Accord : report to congressional requesters
The International Swaps and Derivatives Association is a trade association that represents financial institutions worldwide. Its members include...
The Securities Industry Association is the national trade ...
by Ejub Kajan
Organizations & Consortia CAUCE Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial Email 79 CAVERN CAVE Research Network 81 CBEMA Computer and Business Equipment Manufacturers Association B1 CCSDS Consultative Committee for ...
by R.M. Reed, M.K. Reed
4As A&E AAMSL AAVT ABC ABSTC ABU ACA ACATS ACEJMC ACI ACT ACTAT ACTRA ACVL - INITIALS AND ACRONYMS - INDEX American Association of Advertising Agencies Arts & Entertainment Network American Advertising ...
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
A AA: anesthesia assistant AAA: Ambulance Association of America AAA: American Academy of Actuaries AAA: American...
by Randall Herbert Balmer
Association for Church Renewal incompatible with the priorities of many * BIBLE INSTITUTES . The Accrediting Association of Bible Colleges now has nearly one hundred member institutions, including Baptist Bible College, * MOODY ...
by Aaron Brenner, Benjamin Day, Immanuel Ness
National Association of Working Women Agricultural Adjustment Administration American Association of University Professors American Communications Association Atlantic Coast Seamen's Union Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America ...
ANSI AH: Authentication Header AHA: American Hospital Association AHCA: American Health Care Association AHCPR: Agency for Health Care Policy and Research AHIC: American Health Information Community AHIC: Association for ...
by John Grasso, Eric R. Hartman
American Blind Bowling Association American Bowling Congress American Broadcasting Company Asian Bowling Federation American Junior Bowling Congress American Machine and Foundry American Wheelchair Bowling Association ...
by James H. Stramler, Jr.
Aerospace Human Factors Association (AsHA) Aerospace Medical ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2007)
by Elsevier, Mosby
Table E-1 Dental professional organizations Abbreviation Organization Website AADS American Association for Dental Schools http://www.aads.jhu.edu AAE American Association of Endodontists http://www.aae.org AAO American ...
Dictionary of Policing (2013)
by Tim Newburn, Peter Neyroud
GAY POLICE ASSOCIATION The Gay Police Association was established to represent gay Police Service employees. The Gay Police Association exists to: G work towards equal opportunities for gay Police Service employees; G offer advice ...
by Abdourahmane Idrissa, Samuel Decalo
Caribbean and Pacific Association des Chefs Traditionnels du Niger Association pour la Diffusion de l'Islarn au Niger Alliance des Forces du Changement Agence Française de Développement Alliance des Forces Démocratiques Alliance ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Association
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Association
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: yasu21net
- Energy Association
Photo credit: The Eggplant
- Association Cambodge
Photo credit: DaffyDuke
- Chicago Athletic Association
Photo credit: Catherine E. Bailey
- Association Pierre Brosselette
Etrange de visage de femme
Photo credit: DaffyDuke
- Pittsburgh Athletic Association
Photo credit: David Hilowitz
- Chicago Athletic Association
Photo credit: Catherine E. Bailey
View more pictures about Free association.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Association
Click on an item to play that video:
- Marketing Definition - American Marketing Association
Marketing is the activity, set of institutions, and processes for creating, communicating, delivering, and exchanging offerings that have value for customers, clients ...
- Association Meaning
Video shows what association means. The act of associating.. The state of being associated; a connection to or an affiliation with something.. Any relationship ...
- Reaction of member of farmers' association to the centre's explanation regarding Mekedaatu
- Global Veteran Association finds meaning among Kenyan police officers
Global Veteran Association finds meaning among Kenyan police officers. Watch KTN Live...
- "association" definition
Made by Se-Eun in Seisen International School.
- Real Meaning of Association with the Shaykh
09/26/2009 Fenton, MI, USA Series: The Importance of Suhba.
- What Is The Definition Of ADA American Dental Association Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of ADA (American Dental Association): The mission statement of the ADA reads as follows: "The ADA is the professional association of ...
- The "Sherk" (polytheism) .. association worship with Allah : its definition and danger
Fundamentals of Faith (19) The Sherk (polytheism) .. association worship with Allah its definition and danger with Shaikh: Abou Ammar Yassir Qadhi A program ...
- Parent-Teacher Association Meaning
Video shows what Parent-Teacher Association means. a formal organization composed of parents, teachers and staff that is intended to facilitate parental ...
- What Is The Definition Of American Psychiatric Association Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of American Psychiatric Association: A medical specialty society with over 35000 US and international member physicians who "work ...
- Integrative Medicine & Holistic Health Association - Provider Network Full Overview Explanation
Integrative Medicine & Holistic Health Association- - Provider Network Full Overview Explanation. FREE TO JOIN, NO DISCOUNTED RATES! RECEIVE FREE ...
- BTA - Business Technology Association (Glossary Definition) (Screencast)
- CompTIA Computing Technology Industry Association (Glossary Definition) (Screencast)
- The ESOP Association - DOL Proposed Regulation on Definition of a Fiduciary
April 2012 --- ESOP Association President, J. Michael Keeling, discusses the Department of Labor's proposed regulation on the definition of a fiduciary.
- Recap: CompTIA Computing Technology Industry Association (Glossary Definition) (Summary Highlights)
- Okinawa Ryuibukan Association. Junbi Undo Explanation in Italy on 2010
Teaching Junbi Undo in Italy on 21 and 29 Sept 2010.
- Speed learn Vocabulary Using Mnemonic Association
- Origami Evolution Association cruiser-Explanation
- Neena Gill on the EU-Ukraine association agreement - explanation of vote
- What Is The Definition Of Association of American Medical Colleges Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of Association of American Medical Colleges: A nonprofit association of accredited medical schools in the US and Canada that is ...
- American Cultural Association Language Schools in Turkey
Branches in Turkey.
- The New Zealand Speech-language Therapists' Association Executive Council 2015
The NZSTA Executive Council welcomes Speech-language Therapy Awareness Week in New Zealand 2015.
- PACMAN in ASSOCIATION with PUMA DANCE DICTIONARY
- Japan Association of Language Teachers
For language teachers of all levels a membership in JALT is a great way to expand your career opportunities.
- Waiata: New Zealand Association of Language Teachers
This waiata was gifted to us in 2010 by Te Hurinui Brian Clarke. It is sung by Room 6 at Aramoho School, Whanganui. The main words of the song are in te reo ...
- RON MYLES AKA "PRIME TYME" in ASSOCIATION with PUMA DANCE DICTIONARY
- Association Against Negative Language - PSA
A.A.N.L. is a non profit organization which has teamed up with XBox Live to curb foul language in its multiplayer games. Starting today, one Xbox point will be ...
- Foreign Language Association of Virginia (FLAVA) Teacher of the Year 2012
Laurel Maughan, French teacher at James River High School was named FLAVA Teacher of the Year and received the David Cox -- Excellence in Teaching ...
- AILIA -Canadian Language Industry Association
The mission of AILIA is to promote and increase the competitiveness of the Canadian language industry nationally and internationally through advocacy, ...
- KING CHARLES in ASSOCIATION with PUMA DANCE DICTIONARY
See also the pronunciation examples of Association!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Indian Sign Language Interpreters Association
Indian Sign Language Interpreters Association First National Conference on 26th/27th October 2010 Indore (M.P.)
- Sign Language Association of Cebu, Level 3 little mermaid
- Sign Language Association of Cebu, Level 3 happy together
- Sign Language Association of Cebu, Level 3 snow white
- Sign Language Association of Cebu, Level 3 cinderella
krystal of level 3 doing sign language of cinderella's song, a dream is a wish your heart makes, during the SLAC culmination last april 12, 2008. Special th.anks ...
Quotes about Association
If you look at the history of broadcasting, what you find is the National Association of Broadcasters is a trade association whose mission is to protect the interests of the commercial broadcasters. (Robert McChesney)
more quotes about association...
Scrabble value of A1S1S1O1C3I1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Association to see it in context!