The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun attitude:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun attitude
- Definition of the verb attitude
- Phrases with Attitude
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Attitude
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Attitude
- Photos about Attitude
- Video language resources about Attitude
- Quotes about Attitude
- Scrabble value of A1T1T1I1T1U1D2E1
- Anagrams of ATTITUDE
- Share this page
The word attitude and its family (attitudes) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun attitude
What does attitude mean as a name of something?
Attitude is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: attitudes
- a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways
- example: he had the attitude that work was fun
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonym of attitude: mental attitude
- more generic words: cognition / knowledge / noesis = the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
- more specific terms:
- acceptance / credence = the mental attitude that something is believable and should be accepted as true
- culture = the attitudes and behavior that are characteristic of a particular social group or organization
- defensive attitude / defensive = an attitude of defensiveness
- hardball = a no-nonsense attitude in business or politics
- high horse = an attitude of arrogant superiority
- southernism = an attitude characteristic of Southerners
- mentality / mind-set / mindset / outlook = a habitual or characteristic mental attitude that determines how you will interpret and respond to situations
- paternalism = the attitude (of a person or a government) that subordinates should be controlled in a fatherly way for their own good
- position / posture / stance = a rationalized mental attitude
- disposition / inclination / tendency = an attitude of mind especially one that favors one alternative over others
- tolerance = willingness to recognize and respect the beliefs or practices of others
- intolerance = unwillingness to recognize and respect differences in opinions or beliefs
- respect / esteem / regard = an attitude of admiration or esteem
- disrespect = a disrespectful mental attitude
- reverence = a reverent mental attitude
- irreverence = an irreverent mental attitude
- orientation = an integrated set of attitudes and beliefs
- the arrangement of the body and its limbs
- example: he assumed an attitude of surrender
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of attitude: position / posture
- more generic term: bodily property = an attribute of the body
- more specific terms:
- order arms = a position in the manual of arms; the rifle is held vertically on the right side with the butt on the ground
- ballet position = classical position of the body and especially the feet in ballet
- decubitus = a reclining position
- eversion = the position of being turned outward
- lithotomy position = a position lying on your back with knees bent and thighs apart
- lotus position = a sitting position with the legs crossed
- missionary position = a position for sexual intercourse; a man and woman lie facing each other with the man on top
- pose = a posture assumed by models for photographic or artistic purposes
- presentation = position of the fetus in the uterus relative to the birth canal
- ectopia = abnormal position of a part or organ
- asana = a posture or manner of sitting
- guard = a posture of defence in boxing or fencing
- sprawling / sprawl = an ungainly posture with arms and legs spread about
- stance = standing posture
- tuck = a bodily position adopted in some sports (such as diving or skiing) in which the knees are bent and the thighs are drawn close to the chest
- a theatrical pose created for effect
- position of aircraft or spacecraft relative to a frame of reference (the horizon or direction of motion)
- lexical domain: Relations - nouns denoting relations between people or things or ideas
- more generic word: orientation = position or alignment relative to points of the compass or other specific directions
- more specific word: trim = attitude of an aircraft in flight when allowed to take its own orientation
Alternative definition of the noun attitude
- The position of the body or way of carrying oneself; posture.
- Disposition or state of mind.
- A negative, irritating, or irritated attitude; posturing.
- [aeronautics] The orientation of an aircraft or other vehicle relative to the horizon, direction of motion etc.
- [ballet] A position similar to arabesque, but with the raised leg bent at the knee.
Definition of the verb attitude
What does attitude mean as a doing word?
- [rfc-def] To act with a strong attitude.
- To assume or to place in a particular position or orientation; to pose.
- To express an attitude through one's posture, bearing, tone of voice, etc.
Phrases with Attitude
Phrases starting with the word Attitude:
Phrases ending with the word Attitude:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Attitude
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Finding Your Element (2013)
How to Discover Your Talents and Passions and Transform Your Life by Ken Robinson Ph.D., Lou Aronica
A physical attitude is a stance we take to do something practical: serving a tennis ball, lifting a weight, preparing to run or bracing for trouble. A mental...
In geometry, an attitude is an angle of inclination. In your consciousness, too, your attitude is the angle or perspective from which you perceive something. Two people ...
The Energy Edge (2013)
by Pamela M. Smith
positive mental attitude is a vital spoke in the energy wheel. In contrast, a negative attitude is an energy sapper. When a bad mood overcomes us, we tend to allow it to color our world. A slip-up becomes a life gets translated into an the ...
Coaching by Values (CBV): (2011)
A guide to success in the life of business and the business of life by Simon L. Dolan
An attitude is a consequence of the values and norms that precede it. It is an evaluating factor or tendency, either positive or negative, toward other people, deeds, events, things, and so on. Our attitudes reflect how we feel toward someone or ...
My Unexpected Journey (2014)
by Pastor G. Lee McClanathan
By definition, attitude is a marker and has the primary role when it comes to our motivation. Attitude says a lot about our...
A Kick in the Attitude (2009)
An Energizing Approach to Recharge your Team, Work, and Life by Sam Glenn
More clearly, our attitude is the emotional response we have toward situations and people. It is the mental tone we emit. It is an outward...
Frontiers of Language and Teaching, Vol.2: Proceedings of the 2011 International Online Language Conference (IOLC 2011)
Keywords: Academic Motivation, ESL/ EFL Learners, Motivation Types Introduction Attitude is an important concept about learning.
Team Spirit (2012)
Life and Leadership on One of the World's Toughest Yacht Races by Brendan Hall
Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference WINSTON CHURCHILL The Southern Ocean has the reputation of destroying boats. The region of the notorious Cape Horn, at the bottom tip of South America, is the most treacherous of all, ...
The Spirit of a Messenger (2012)
The Attitude with which You can Do Exactly What You are Sent to Do by Sola Ibironke
A spirit being is a living being that has characteristics like talking, movement, and the like,while an attitude is a nonliving thing. An attitude is a way of thinking, talking, and acting, that a living being could have. CHAPTER TWO The Natureofthe ...
Let's Talk (2015)
Life is running,Time is running,So the power,Use it by RAJESH WALECHA
Attitude is a frameof mind.Attitude isadress of mind. In ourdaytoday life,we change dresses; likewisewe can...
Positive attitude is the key tosuccess. Success is different for everyone,and success is thepath along which everyone takes a tour, ...
by Robert E Stevens, David L Loudon, Henry Cole, Bruce Wrenn
ATTITUDE MEASUREMENT Church decision makers might want to determine the attitudes or opinions of members, recipients of ministries, prospective members, church leaders, people in the community, etc. In such instances, knowledge of ...
Marketing dictionary (2000)
by Wolfgang J. Koschnick
Einwegpackung Einstellung/(Haltung/, Attitude /) (psychology/empirical social research) attitude A tendency to react in a certain way towards specific events, people, ideas or objects. Einstellung/zum Beruf — » berufliche Einstel- lung ...
by Robert L. Powers, Jane Griffith
HESITATING ATTITUDE/DISTANCING Hesitation is one of four “distancing” maneuvers Adler identified as SAFEGUARDING devices; the others are moving backward, standing still, and the construction of obstacles (pp. 273-276).
A-E by Charles Donald Spielberger
The value-expressive function occurs when attitudes allow people to express important values about themselves. For example, people may express a positive attitude toward recycling, suggesting that environmentalism is an important value.
by Stewart Clegg, James R. Bailey
First, the attitude construct is defined, recognizing its uniqueness and distinguishing it from related, but essentially different, constructs. Next, theories regarding how attitudes are formed and changed are addressed. Then, some of the functions ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Attitude
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Attitude
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: vauvau
Casey gives the camera some attitude after a stint at the dog wash. Seriously, it's a quarter operated bathtub complete with shampoo, conditioner, and warm water. They supply aprons too. Casey's hair is so curlyl when it's wet. She looks unamused.
Photo credit: mhofstrand
Taken at the Thiruporur Murugan temple
Photo credit: seeveeaar
Photo credit: roland
Photo credit: Andrew Stawarz
Plaza de Toros, Madrid, Spain
Canon Powershot G9
Photo credit: spettacolopuro
Photo credit: photoloni
Photo credit: juanktru
Photo credit: Yellow Sky Photography
Photo credit: xlauragracex
Photo credit: Roland Klose
- Camel Attitude
Photo credit: Rod Waddington
Photo credit: Firesam!
Photo credit: Sarah Mirk
Photo credit: Tasz Strachan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Attitude
Click on an item to play that video:
- Attitude Meaning
Video shows what attitude means. The position of the body or way of carrying oneself; posture.. Disposition or state of mind.. A negative, irritating, or irritated ...
- What Is Attitude The Definition
Attitude Positive Thinking and Success.
- VOCABULARY: Showing your attitude with discourse markers
There are many ways to show your attitude in English. Fortunately for you, here's an episode of 6 Minute Vocabulary to tell you how you can do this with ...
- The definition of ATTITUDE
Change your attitude.
- Learn American English Idioms 1: Attitude Idiom 1
This is a video for learning American English Idioms. Topic: Attitude - Idiom 1...
- Learn American English Idioms 1: Attitude Idiom 2
Use this video to learn American English Idioms - Topic: Attitude Idiom 2...
- Learn American English Idioms 1: Attitude Idiom 5
Use this video to learn American English Idioms - Topic: Attitude Idiom 5...
- Learn American English Idioms 1: Attitude Idiom 3
- Learn American English Idioms 1: Attitude Idiom 4
- Definition Of Positive Attitude | Positive Attitude Training Program | Parivartan India
positive attitude parivartan india,definition of positive attitude,develop positive attitude,developing a positive attitude,example of positive attitude,how to have a ...
- Attitude meaning
- Attitude adjuster doing the GBODY SHUFFLE true definition of SIDEWAYZ
Getting SIDEWAYZ for real all gas no brakes!!!!!!!
- Digital Teacher SSC Class X English Attitude is Altitude Vocabulary
- Aircraft attitude Meaning
Video shows what aircraft attitude means. The orientation of an aircraft with respect to the horizon.. Aircraft attitude Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- 02 Definition of purity in attitude, vision and actions 25 10 02
- Sweet explanation of attitude
- The Meaning Jim Carrey ABSOLUTE MOTIVATION CHANGE UR ATTITUDE IN 5 mins
- Kristiani expresses exhiliration to Brilliant Attitude which made her find life's meaning.
- Complete explanation of ATTITUDE components
- Does Vocabulary Affect Attitude
- Walk with Attitude - The Power of Body Language
Walk with Attitude - Use your Body language to feel stronger and lesson your chances of being targeted as a victim... and you'll feel more confident too.
- Language Attitude
- The Language Learning Tripod. #1 Attitude
Language learning is surprisingly simple. It can be resumed in three letters, A, T, and N. Attitude, Time and Noticing. This the Tripod. Commit to all three and any ...
- Body Language & Attitude : Psychology Help
- Body Language and Attitude
Right attitude and body language for an interview.
- Alpha Man Behavior and Attitude Superman vs Clark Kent Body Language Scene
- ESL Webport: How to edit the header and logo on the Attitude Pro Theme
Takes us through editing the logo and header of the Attitude Pro theme.
- Language Attitude Survey Clip 2
- Body Language And Poise Lead To Real Attitude.
Here's young and cool doc' Aryan emphasizing the correct body language and poise along with right sense of dressing that creates the real Atttude.
- The Attitude of Language, Accents and Other Misconceptions!
See also the pronunciation examples of Attitude!
Quotes about Attitude
Scrabble value of A1T1T1I1T1U1D2E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ATTITUDE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Attitude!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Attitude to see it in context!