Usage statistics for the noun authority:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun authority
- Phrases with Authority
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Authority
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Authority
- Usage statistics about authority
- Photos about Authority
- Video language resources about Authority
- Quotes about Authority
- Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1I1T1Y4
- Share this page
The word authority and its family (authoritative, authorities) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun authority
What does authority mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: authorities
- the power or right to give orders or make decisions
- example: he has the authority to issue warrants
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of authority: authorisation / authorization / dominance / potency / say-so
- more generic word: control = power to direct or determine
- more specific terms:
- power of appointment = authority given (in a will or deed) by a donor to a donee to appoint the beneficiaries of the donor's property
- carte blanche = complete freedom or authority to act
- command = the power or authority to command
- imperium = supreme authority
- lordship = the authority of a lord
- muscle = authority or power or force
- sovereignty = the authority of a state to govern another state
- (usually plural) persons who exercise (administrative) control over others
- usage: plural / plural form
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- abrogator = an authority or official empowered to abolish or annul or repeal
- distributor / allocator = a person with authority to allot or deal out or apportion
- approver = an authority with power to approve
- authority figure = someone who is regarded as an authority by someone else
- authoriser / authorizer = an authority who authorizes
- mandator = an authority who issues a mandate
- pacha / pasha = a civil or military authority in Turkey or Egypt
- civil authority / civil officer = a person who exercises authority over civilian affairs
- reproacher / upbraider / reprover / rebuker = someone who finds fault or imputes blame
- withdrawer = an authority who withdraws permission
- an expert whose views are taken as definitive
- example: he is an authority on corporate law
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic word: expert = a person with special knowledge or ability who performs skillfully
- more specific terms:
- consultant / adviser / advisor = an expert who gives advice
- cognoscente / connoisseur = an expert able to appreciate a field
- evaluator / judge = an authority who is able to estimate worth or quality
- high priest = a preeminent authority or major proponent of a movement or doctrine
- liturgist = an authority on liturgies
- professional / master = an authority qualified to teach apprentices
- freedom from doubt; belief in yourself and your abilities
- example: she spoke with authority
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of authority: assurance / confidence / self-assurance / self-confidence / sureness
- more generic word: certainty = the state of being certain
- an administrative unit of government
- example: Tennessee Valley Authority
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of authority: agency / bureau / federal agency / government agency / office
- more generic terms: administrative body / administrative unit = a unit with administrative responsibilities
- more specific terms:
- executive agency = an agency of the executive branch of government
- Food and Drug Administration / FDA = a federal agency in the Department of Health and Human Services established to regulate the release of new foods and health-related products
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention / CDC = a federal agency in the Department of Health and Human Services; located in Atlanta
- Counterterrorist Center / CTC = an agency that helps the Director of Central Intelligence coordinate counterterrorist efforts in order to preempt and disrupt and defeat terrorist activities at the earliest possible stage
- Nonproliferation Center / NPC = an agency that serves as the focal point for all Intelligence Community activities related to nonproliferation of weapons of mass destruction and their missile delivery systems
- Bureau of the Census / Census Bureau = the bureau of the Commerce Department responsible for taking the census
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration / NOAA = an agency in the Department of Commerce that maps the oceans and conserves their living resources; predicts changes to the earth's environment
- National Climatic Data Center / NCDC = the part of NOAA that maintains the world's largest active archive of weather data
- National Weather Service = the federal agency in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration that is responsible for weather forecast and preparation of weather maps
- Technology Administration = an agency in the Department of Commerce that works with United States industries to promote competitiveness and maximize the impact of technology on economic growth
- National Institute of Standards and Technology / NIST = an agency in the Technology Administration that makes measurements and sets standards as needed by industry or government programs
- National Technical Information Service / NTIS = an agency in the Technology Administration that is a primary resource for government-funded scientific and technical and engineering and business related information
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency / DARPA = the central research and development organization for the United States Department of Defense
- Department of Defense Laboratory System / LABLINK = a defense laboratory that provides essential services in fundamental science for national security and environmental protection and provides technologies that contribute to industrial competitiveness
- Department of Energy Intelligence / DOEI = an agency that collects political and economic and technical information about energy matters and makes the Department of Energy's technical and analytical expertise available to other members of the Intelligence Community
- United States Public Health Service / PHS = an agency that serves as the office of Surgeon General
- National Institutes of Health / NIH = an agency in the Department of Health and Human Services whose mission is to employ science in the pursuit of knowledge to improve human health
- Bureau of Justice Assistance / BJA = the bureau in the Department of Justice that assists local criminal justice systems to reduce or prevent crime and violence and drug abuse
- Bureau of Justice Statistics / BJS = the agency in the Department of Justice that is the primary source of criminal justice statistics for federal and local policy makers
- Immigration and Naturalization Service / INS = an agency in the Department of Justice that enforces laws and regulations for the admission of foreign-born persons to the United States
- United States Border Patrol / US Border Patrol = the mobile law enforcement arm of the Immigration and Naturalization Service that detects and prevents illegal entry of aliens into the United States
- Bureau of Diplomatic Security / DS = the bureau in the State Department that is responsible for the security of diplomats and embassies overseas
- Foreign Service = the part of the State Department that supplies diplomats for the United States embassies and consulates around the world
- Bureau of Intelligence and Research / INR = an agency that is the primary source in the State Department for interpretive analyses of global developments and focal point for policy issues and activities of the Intelligence Community
- United States Fish and Wildlife Service / US Fish and Wildlife Service / FWS = an agency in the Department of the Interior that conserves and protects fish and wildlife and their habitats
- National Park Service = an agency of the Interior Department responsible for the national parks
- Financial Management Service = the federal agency in the Treasury Department that manages the government's disbursement and collection systems and provides central accounting and financial reporting
- Office of Intelligence Support / OIS = agency that oversees the intelligence relationships of the Treasury's offices and bureaus and provides a link between the Intelligence Community and officials responsible for international economic policy
- Comptroller of the Currency = the agency of the Treasury Department responsible for controlling the currency
- Bureau of Customs / Customs Service / Customs Bureau / USCB = the agency of the Treasury Department that enforces import tariffs
- Bureau of Engraving and Printing = the agency of the Treasury Department that produces currency
- Internal Revenue Service / IRS = the bureau of the Treasury Department responsible for tax collections
- Federal Aviation Administration / FAA = an agency in the Department of Transportation that is responsible for the safety of civilian aviation
- Transportation Security Administration / TSA = an agency established in 2001 to safeguard United States transportation systems and insure safe air travel
- United States Government Accounting Office / Government Accounting Office / GAO = an independent nonpartisan federal agency that acts as the investigative arm of Congress making the executive branch accountable to Congress and the government accountable to citizens of the United States
- United States Navy / US Navy / Navy / USN = the navy of the United States of America
- United States Coast Guard / U. S. Coast Guard / US Coast Guard = an agency of the Department of Transportation responsible for patrolling shores and facilitating nautical commerce
- Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division / NAWCWPNS = the principal agency of the United States Navy for research and development for air warfare and missile weapon systems
- Naval Special Warfare / NSW = the agency that provides units to conduct unconventional and counter-guerilla warfare
- Naval Surface Warfare Center / NSWC = the agency that provides scientific and engineering and technical support for all aspects of surface warfare
- Naval Underwater Warfare Center / NUWC = the agency that provides scientific and engineering and technical support for submarine and undersea warfare systems
- Office of Naval Intelligence / ONI = the military intelligence agency that provides for the intelligence and counterintelligence and investigative and security requirements of the United States Navy
- Marine Corps Intelligence Activity / MCIA = an agency of the United States Marine Corps that provides responsive and broad intelligence support for the worldwide Marine Corps organization
- United States Air Force / U. S. Air Force / US Air Force / Air Force / USAF = the airforce of the United States of America
- Air Force Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance / Air Force ISR / AFISR = an agency focused on ensuring that the United States military attains information superiority
- independent agency = an agency of the United States government that is created by an act of Congress and is independent of the executive departments
- Advanced Research and Development Activity / ARDA = an agency of the Intelligence Community that conducts advanced research and development related to information technology
- Defense Logistics Agency = a logistics combat support agency in the Department of Defense
- Defense Reutilization and Marketing Service / DRMS = the organization in the Defense Logistics Agency that inventories and evaluates and sells reusable United States government surplus
- Defense Technical Information Center / DTIC = the agency in the Department of Defense that provides scientific and technical information to federal agencies and their contractors
- law enforcement agency = an agency responsible for insuring obedience to the laws
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration / OSHA = a government agency in the Department of Labor to maintain a safe and healthy work environment
- organ = a government agency or instrument devoted to the performance of some specific function
- Patent and Trademark Office Database / Patent Office = the government bureau in the Department of Commerce that keeps a record of patents and trademarks and grants new ones
- United States Government Printing Office / US Government Printing Office / Government Printing Office / GPO = an agency of the legislative branch that provides printing and binding services for Congress and the departments and establishments of the federal government
- National Guard Bureau / NGB = the agency that administers the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard
- United States Army / U. S. Army / US Army / Army / USA = the army of the United States of America
- Army Intelligence / AI = an agency of the United States Army responsible for providing timely and relevant and accurate and synchronized intelligence to tactical and operational and strategic level commanders
- Ballistic Missile Defense Organization / BMDO = an agency in the Department of Defense that is responsible for making ballistic missile defense a reality
- Defense Information Systems Agency / DISA = a combat support agency in the Department of Defense responsible for developing and operating and supporting information systems to serve the needs of the President and the Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs of Staff
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency / NGA = a combat support agency that provides geographic intelligence in support of national security
- Casualty Care Research Center / CCRC = an agency in the Department of Defense that is a national center for research on all aspects of injury control and casualty care
- Federal Housing Administration / FHA = the federal agency in the Department of Housing and Urban Development that insures residential mortgages
- local authority = an administrative unit of local government
- Air Force Research Laboratory / AFRL = a United States Air Force defense laboratory responsible for discovering and developing and integrating fighting technologies for aerospace forces
- Army High Performance Computing Research Center / AHPCRC = a United States defense laboratory to conduct research in high-performance computing for defense technology applications
- Naval Research Laboratory / NRL = the United States Navy's defense laboratory that conducts basic and applied research for the Navy in a variety of scientific and technical disciplines
- United States Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / US Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory / USACIL = a defense laboratory of the Criminal Investigation Command
- official permission or approval
- an authoritative written work
Alternative definition of the noun authority
- [uncountable] The power to enforce rules or give orders.
- [context: used in singular or plural form] Persons in command; specifically, government.
- [countable] A person accepted as a source of reliable information on a subject.
- "Authority" is a musical album of Client.
- released on
- "Authority" is a musical single of Biohazard.
- released in (20 years ago)
- "Authority" is a composition.
- music by Derek Minor
- "Authority" is a composition.
- music by Edson F.
"Authority" is a book by E. D. Watt.
"Authority" is a film, directed by Cemal Çelik.
- Authority in management is the formal or legitimate authority specified in a character that gives a project manager the authority to act in the name of the sponsoring executive or on behalf on the organization.
- The authority that classified this Mineral Group.
Phrases with Authority
- authority figure
- good authority
- civil authority
- local authority
- Moral authority
- Postal Authority
- Public Authority
- Rudder Authority
- Verbal Authority
- Aileron Authority
- supreme authority
- Elevator Authority
- Appeal to Authority
- palestine authority
- regulatory authority
- Certificate authority
- redevelopment authority
- palestine national authority
- palestinian national authority
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Authority
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by CTI Reviews
A central bank, reserve bank, or monetary authority is an institution that manages a state's currency, money supply, and...
Anarchism and Authority (2012)
A Philosophical Introduction to Classical Anarchism by Mr Paul McLaughlin
Moral authority is the right to issue theoretical directives with practical force or moral principles that govern practice...
by Chuck Williams
Line authority is the right to command immediate subordinates in the chain of command. For example, Sony CEO Howard Stringer has line authority over the head of Sony's Professional, Device 8: Solutions Group, which includes Sony's ...
Hence authority is the attribute of a position and not of a person. It is a facility or...
Authority is the right to give orders and power to exact obedience.
Theory and Practice by Bernard Hoose
Authority is a word derived from the Latin for author (auctor) and so pertains to the source of something...
by Ted J. Hanson
True authority is a given substance of life that enables you to fulfill your responsibilities in life in a way that brings life to others.
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
combatant command (command authority) — Nontransferable command authority established by title 10 (“Armed Forces”), ...
The other components are public key encryptions, trusted third parties (such as the certification authority), and mechanisms for certificate publication and issuing. PUBLICKEY CRYPTOLOGY: Security measure wherealinked pair of encryptor ...
by Thomas A. Schwandt
Authority. This notion figures prominently in postmodern and poststructuralist criticisms of ethnography wherein it is commonplace to criticize a Authenticity Authenticity Criteria Authority.
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
lists six means of the desuggestive¥suggestive process: authority, infantilisation, double-planeness, intonation, rhythm, and concert pseudopassiveness.
A Dictionary of the Church (1839)
Containing an Exposition of Terms, Phrases and Subjects Connected with the External Order, Sacraments, Worship and Usages of the Protestant Episcopal Church : with an Especial Reference to the Church in the United States by William Staunton
a competent authority, is also used as a designation of an ecclesiastical or devotional form; thus the form set forth for the Institution of Ministers is called an “ Office.” Bishop Sparrow remarks, that “the Common Prayer Book contains in it many ...
by William J. Collinge
Authority to teach. Medieval theologians, Thomas Aquinas for instance, spoke of a magisterium, or teaching authority, belonging to teachers of theology in the universities and a magisterium belonging to bishops. This usage persisted into the ...
by Larry E Sullivan, Marie Simonetti Rosen, Dorothy M Schulz, M. R. Haberfeld
The Tennessee Valley Authority Police (TVAP) is a federally commissioned, internationally accredited law enforcement agency that provides protection for the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) properties and employees as well as the 100 ...
With Illustrations from English Literature and Colloquial English, Tr. Into Hindustani by S. W. Fallon
having weight or authority, ...
A Comprehensive, Practical and Authoritative Guide on All Matters Connected with Education, Including Educational Principles and Practice, Various Types of Teaching Institutions, and Educational Systems Throughout the World by Foster Watson
The authority is empowered further to discontinue the maintenance of a certified special school or class which for the previous three years has had an average attendance of less than fifteen, but it must at the same time make such alternative ...
A Standard Reference Book for Accountants and Business Men
General authority cannot be limited by any private order or direction not known to the party dealing with him. Limited Authority is where the agent is bound by precise instruction. Special Authority is that which is confined to an individual ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Authority
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about authority
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun authority:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun authority:
Photos about Authority
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Tom Mrazek
Brookyln Battery Tunnel, New York
Photo credit: cappellacci
Photo credit: H.L.I.T.
Photo credit: Tomoir III
Photo credit: the measure of mike
Used at ilmiopohjaisuus.ning.com/group/minun-oikeuteni, and learn.canvas.net/courses/1242/pages/front-page, and fluechtlingsforschung.net/humanitare-visa-fur-fluchtlinge/
Photo credit: mikecogh
- Sports Authority
Photo credit: JeepersMedia
- AC Moore/Sports Authority - Holyoke Mall
Photo credit: MikeKalasnik
Photo credit: Jaako
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Authority
Click on an item to play that video:
- Authority Meaning
Video shows what authority means. The power to enforce rules or give orders.. Persons in command; specifically, government.. A person accepted as a source ...
- Domain Authority Definition
- Turbowolf interview Graham Hancock: Ep3. Question authority! The meaning of 2012.
- AUTHORITY DEFINITION IS A FRAUD
- Authority's Meaning for Authentic Engagement
- Authority #5: God's Definition Of Belief
- The Meaning of Authority 1
Rev.Kwang Soo Ryu...
- Response to G-mans definition of Lesser Gods/ Final Authority
- Authority and Inclusion: Reconsidering the Meaning of Integration in a Fragmented Age
- EU Competent Authority - a definition
A body, for example a government department or local authority, that has legal power and responsibility to act on certain issues.
- The Meaning of Authority 3
- The Meaning of Authority 2
- The Meaning of Authority 4
- The Meaning of Authority 6
- The Meaning of Authority 5
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = appeal to an administrative authority
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = citizen authority relations
- True Meaning of Messiah and his Authority
Triangle Family Church Sermon on June. 8, 2014.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = European Food Safety Authority
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = parental authority
- Emirates Identity Authority website finding on new language :Asianet Gulf News
Emirates Identity Authority website finding on new language .:Asianet Gulf News.
- Be Mindful of Your Language and Build Authority
Be Mindful of Your Language and Build Authority...
- Description on SAIL (STEEL AUTHORITY OF INDIA LIMITED).
A short description on SAIL (Steel Authority of India Limited) by Mr. Rajeev Haruray.
- Language Authority commercial
A promotional video for Language Authority, an easy-to-use language learning software.
- AF Senior Language Authority visits DLIFLC
Barbara J. Barger serves as the Air Force Senior Language Authority responsible for establishing policy and providing oversight of the Air Force's culture, ...
- Radio Drama in Phari Language for Erra Earthquake Rehabilitation Authority
- Providence Housing Authority Offers ESL Courses to the Community
Here is an interview done with the instructor of the PHA's English as a Second Langauge course Debra Blaine, one of her students, Martha and a sneak peak ...
- The Language of Authority
- Pakistan National Language Authority E-Books Project (ARY NEWS)
View more videos about with authority, Local Authority, Moral authority, Postal authority, Public Authority, Rudder Authority, Verbal Authority, Aileron Authority, Elevator Authority, Appeal to authority, and Certificate authority.
See also the pronunciation examples of Authority!
Quotes about Authority
There are questions of real power and then there are questions of phony authority. You have to break through the phony authority to begin to fight the real questions of power. (Angel Blessing)
more quotes about authority...
Scrabble value of A1U1T1H4O1R1I1T1Y4
The value of this 9-letter word is 15 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Authority to see it in context!