The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb avenge:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun avenge
- Definition of the verb avenge
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Avenge
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Avenge
- Photo about Avenge
- Video language resources about Avenge
- Quotes about Avenge
- Scrabble value of A1V4E1N1G2E1
- Anagrams of AVENGE
- Share this page
Avenge is sometimes a misspelling of avoid.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun avenge
What does avenge mean as a name of something?
- A vengeance; a revenge.
Definition of the verb avenge
What does avenge mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: avenged | avenging | avenges
- take revenge for a perceived wrong
- example: He wants to avenge the murder of his brother
- lexical domain: Competition - verbs of fighting, athletic activities
- synonyms of avenge: retaliate / revenge
- more generic words: penalise / penalize / punish = impose a penalty on
- more specific terms: get back / get even = take revenge or even out a score
Alternative definition of the verb avenge
- To take vengeance (for); to exact satisfaction for by punishing the injuring party; to vindicate by inflicting pain or evil on a wrongdoer.
- To treat revengefully; to wreak vengeance on.
- synonym: spite
Definition of the verb avenge for high school students
- to seek revenge
- example: The victims will take justice into their own hands and strive to avenge themselves against the men who robbed them.
The verb avenge is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
- "Avenge" is a musical single of Ivy.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Avenge" is a composition.
- music by Sam Cardon
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Avenge
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Zac Robinson, Jacob "Stitch" Duran
ReallyI don't think avenge is the best word for rematches. Often it isn't that a man has to seek payback in the form of punching, kicking, or submitting a guy who beat him. Instead it seems to be more a desire to gain feedback. A fighter has ...
Current Business Reports (1971)
Monthly retail trade, sales, and accounts receivable
The MCD moving avenge is a monthly average (with the number of terms equal to MCD) of the seasonally adjusted series. son of these measures with the expected average duration of run of a random series gives an indication of whether the ...
by James Orr
AVENGE, a-venj', AVENGER, a-venj'er: Avenge. — The general idea connected with this word is that of inflicting punishment upon the wrongdoer. Since emphasis may be placed upon the deed itself, the wrongdoer, or the injured party , the vb.
Abridged in One Volume by Gerhard Kittel, Gerhard Friedrich, Geoffrey W. Bromiley
"to avenge" with accusative of person (or dative), d. "to punish" with accusative of person (or dative), e. "to punish" with ex, epi, or more rarely en or para of person, and f. "to avenge" with genitive of person or cause. In the OT the usage ...
by W.E Vine, Rev Terry Kulakowski
TO AVENGE A. Verb. % (, 5358), “to avenge, take vengeance, punish.” This root and its derivatives occur 87 times in the Old Testament, most frequently in the Pentateuch, Isaiah, and ...
Encyclopaedia Metropolitana; Or, Universal Dictionary of Knowledge on an Original Plan Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings Edited by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose (1845)
Miscellaneous and lexicographical, vol. 2
AVENGE. AVENTlNlJS MONS. 'W __ - .__ . - . .__ avg-r wf-wu: '»'—4. AVENA_ grasses ; enumerating among its species the common 'oat, Acena sativa. A. sativa. Paniculate, calyx two-seeded, seeds M smooth, alternately awned. AVENAGE ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Avenge
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Avenge
Photo credit: Meagan Fisher
Video language resources about Avenge
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Avenge!
Quotes about Avenge
Scrabble value of A1V4E1N1G2E1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AVENGE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Avenge!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Avenge to see it in context!