Await appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Marge, let's "went." I await news telegram.
- Tia wastes sugar bale DNA costs I list, so candelabra gussets await.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb await:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun await
- Definition of the verb await
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Await
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Await
- Photos about Await
- Video about Await
- Quotes about Await
- Scrabble value of A1W4A1I1T1
- Anagrams of AWAIT
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun await
What does await mean as a name of something?
- [obsolete] A waiting for; ambush.
- [obsolete] Watching, watchfulness, suspicious observation.
Definition of the verb await
What does await mean as a doing word?
Await is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: awaited | awaiting | awaits
- look forward to the probable occurrence of
- examples: With the President dead now, the new policies will have to await government approval. | I await your arrival. | Tatoeba is just Twitter for language nerds. I eagerly await tempestuous floods of snarky hashtags in every sentence. | I eagerly await your decision. | We await the visit of our uncle with a happy heart.
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of await: expect / look / wait
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the verb await
- [transitive, formal] To wait for.
- [transitive] To expect.
- [transitive] To be in store for; to be ready or in waiting for
- [transitive] To wait on, serve or attend (to).
- [intransitive] To watch, observe.
- [intransitive] To wait (on or upon).
- [intransitive] To wait; to stay in waiting.
"Await" is a composition.
- music by Balam Acab
Await: In computer programming, await is a feature found in C# 5.0, and also in an experimental extension for Scala, that allows an asynchronous, non-blocking method call to be performed in a similar way to an ordinary method call.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Await
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jeremy Butterfield
Await is a transitive verb meaning 'to wait for', and cannot usually be used without an object: We will await the outcome is equivalent to We will wait for the outcome (but has a stronger element of suspenseful expectation). The phrase we will ...
by Michael Byram, Adelheid Hu
await. for a long time« and. ahit. again and again« are expressed through changes in the movements of the signs WAIT and HIT. Similarly, some verbs in sign languages show person and number agreement by the use of specific movements: ...
Based on Groschopp's Grein. Edited, Revised, and Corrected with Grammatical Appendix, List of Irregular Verbs, and Brief Etymological Features by Christian Wilhelm Michael Grein
to await, expect, ...
by C.W. Grein, F. Groschopp, J.A. Harrison, W.M. Baskerville
to await, окрест , wait ...
The London Encyclopaedia (1829)
Or, Universal Dictionary of Science, Art, Literature, and Practical Mechanics, Comprising a Popular View of the Present State of Knowledge. Illustrated by Numerous Engravings, a General Atlas, and Appropriate Diagrams by Thomas Curtis
of Ala - AWAIT, v. &n.-> Dutch, waeken; Ang.- Await'er, n. >Sax. Wseccean, to wake or ...
The Harvard Encyclopedia (1890)
A Dictionary of Language Arts, Sciences, and General Literature
AWAIT, v. d-wat1 [a for L. ad: ...
by Samuel Johnson
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Await
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Await
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Await
Video shows what await means. To wait for.. To expect.. To be in store for; to be ready or in waiting for.. await pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Await!
Quotes about Await
AIDS occupies such a large part in our awareness because of what it has been taken to represent. It seems the very model of all the catastrophes privileged populations feel await them. (Susan Sontag)
more quotes about await...
Scrabble value of A1W4A1I1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine