On this page:
- Definition of the noun awe
- Definition of the verb awe
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Awe
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Awe
- Usage statistics about awe
- Photos about Awe
- Videos about Awe
- Quotes about Awe
- Scrabble value of A1W4E1
- Anagrams of AWE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun awe
What does awe mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: awes
- an overwhelming feeling of wonder or admiration
- a feeling of profound respect for someone or something
Alternative definition of the noun awe
- A feeling of fear and reverence.
- A feeling of amazement.
Definition of the verb awe
What does awe mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: awed | awing / aweing (rare form) | awes
- inspire awe in
- examples: The famous professor awed the undergraduates | Sam cannot awe Sue | The performance is likely to awe Sue
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Cause] [Verb] The clown amused [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown amused the children [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] [Adjective] That movie bored me silly [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] with [Oblique] The clown amused the children with his antics [Cause, genitive]'s [Oblique] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown's antics amused the children [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Adverb] Little children amuse easily
Verbs of Psychological State (with the same syntax): abash, affect, afflict, affront, aggravate, aggrieve, agitate, agonize, alarm, alienate, amaze, amuse, anger, annoy, antagonize, appall, appease, arouse, assuage, astonish, astound, baffle, befuddle, beguile, bewilder, bewitch, boggle, bore, bother, bug, calm, captivate, chagrin, charm, cheer, chill, comfort, concern, confound, confuse, console, content, convince, cow, crush, cut, daunt, daze, dazzle, deject, delight, demolish, demoralize, depress, devastate, disappoint, disarm, discombobulate, discomfit, discompose, disconcert, discourage, disgrace, disgruntle, disgust, dishearten, disillusion, dismay, dispirit, displease, disquiet, dissatisfy, distract, distress, disturb, divert, dumbfound, elate, electrify, embarrass, embolden, enchant, encourage, enervate, engage, engross, enlighten, enliven, enrage, enrapture, entertain, enthrall, enthuse, entice, entrance, exasperate, excite, exhaust, exhilarate, fascinate, fatigue, faze, flabbergast, flatter, floor, fluster, frighten, frustrate, gall, galvanize, gladden, gratify, grieve, harass, harm, haunt, hearten, horrify, humble, humiliate, hurt, hypnotize, impair, impress, incense, inflame, infuriate, inspire, insult, interest, intimidate, intoxicate, intrigue, invigorate, irk, irritate, jade, jar, jollify, jolt, lull, madden, menace, mesmerize, miff, molest, mollify, mortify, move, muddle, mystify, nauseate, nettle, numb, obsess, occupy, offend, outrage, overawe, overwhelm, pacify, pain, peeve, perplex, perturb, pester, pique, placate, plague, please, preoccupy, provoke, puzzle, quench, rankle, ravish, reassure, recharge, refresh, rejuvenate, relax, relieve, repel, repulse, revitalize, revolt, rile, roil, ruffle, sadden, satiate, satisfy, scandalize, scare, shake, shame, shock, sicken, sober, solace, soothe, spellbind, spook, stagger, startle, stimulate, sting, stir, strike, stump, stun, stupefy, surprise, tantalize, taunt, tease, tempt, terrify, terrorize, threaten, thrill, throw, tickle, tire, titillate, torment, torture, touch, transfix, transport, trouble, try, unnerve, unsettle, uplift, upset, vex, weary, worry, wound, wow.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- more generic words: affright / fright / frighten / scare = cause fear in
- more specific words: overawe / cow = subdue, restrain, or overcome by affecting with a feeling of awe
Alternative definition of the verb awe
- [transitive] To inspire fear and reverence.
- [transitive] To control by inspiring dread.
- AWE is a United States-based lifestyle and entertainment cable network privately held by Herring Broadcasting. The network operates several domestic and international television feeds. The network's primary production facilities and corporate headquarters are located in San Diego, California.
- official website: www.awetv.com
- Awe a.k.a. AWE Limited: An Australian oil and gas exploration and production company. Currently producing oil and gas in Australia, New Zealand, the USA, with exploration and development in process in Indonesia and China. Recent activity includes a large discovery of oil and gas onshore within 200 kilometres north of Perth. AWE has expanded by acquiring smaller companies and has itself been the target of recent takeover activity in 2014. AWE is structured to become a major producer in the coming years based on collaborative project participation with Santos,STO and Origin,ORG.
- read more about AWE Limited
AWE is a musical group.
- albums: "Alternative Worship Experience: Volume 1, Provision for the Soul"
"Awe" is a book by Dorothea Lasky.
- "Awe" is a musical album of Devil-May-Care.
- released on (12 years ago)
- "Awe" is a composition.
- "Awe" is a musical album of Shaking Godspeed.
- released on (5 years ago)
Awe a.k.a. Awe, Kentucky: Awe is an unincorporated community in Lewis County, Kentucky, United States. The Awe post office is closed.
- read more about Awe, Kentucky
- Awe is an emotion comparable to wonder but less joyous. On Robert Plutchik's wheel of emotions awe is modeled as a combination of surprise and fear. One dictionary definition is "an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like: in awe of God; in awe of great political figures." Another dictionary definition is a "mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might: We felt awe when contemplating the works of Bach. The observers were in awe of the destructive power of the new weapon." In general, awe is directed at objects considered to be more powerful than the subject, such as the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Grand Canyon, or the vastness of the cosmos.
- Awe a.k.a. The Zaghawa language is a Saharan language spoken by the Zaghawa people of eastern central Chad and northwestern Sudan. The people who speak this language call it Beria, from Beri, the endonym of the Zaghawa people, and "a," Zaghawa for 'mouth.' It has been estimated that there are between 75,000 to 350,000 Zaghawa language speakers who primarily live in Chad and the Darfur region of Sudan.
- read more about Zaghawa Language
- Awe a.k.a. Awetï language: The Aweti language of Brazil is one of the Tupian languages.
- also known as Arauite, Arauine, Aueto, Auiti, Awetö, Aueti, Awetí Language
- Awe is a website.
- official website: stateofillinois.us/people/Awe
- AWE is an icao airline designator.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Awe
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Discovering the Priesthood of Abel by Allen George
Awe is the praise of faith. It spells mystery...
Heidegger’s Shadow (2017)
Kant, Husserl, and the Transcendental Turn by Chad Engelland
Awe is a way of drawing near and remaining near to the distant as such.
Abraham Joshua Heschel (2009)
Philosophy, Theology and Interreligious Dialogue by Stanisław Krajewski, Adam Lipszyc
For Heschel, awe is a human sense for transcendence: "Awe is a sense for the transcendence, for the reference everywhere to Him who is beyond all things."2 Awe is an attitude that enables man to "perceive in the world intimations of the ...
A Handbook and Classification by Christopher Peterson, Martin E. P. Seligman
Awe is the normal response to contact with divinity, appearing clearly in the holy scriptures of Judaism (e.g., God's appearance on Mount Sinai), Christianity (e.g., Paul's conversion), Hinduism (e.g., Arjuna's encounter with Krishna), and most ...
by Richenda Miers
The A85 east from Connel to Loch Awe is an attractive drive with views of Loch Etive, through the Pass of Brander belowthe...
Loch Awe is a 23-mile-long serpent of water with thickly wooded shores, many islands, and more than its share of ...
Emotional Intimacy (2013)
A Comprehensive Guide for Connecting with the Power of Your Emotions by Robert Augustus Masters
Awe is a direct acknowledgment of and response to sublimity; it reconnects us with visceral immediacy to ...
by Robert Blakey
Lock Awe is only a short distance from it. There is Port Sonnachan on its banks, another fashionable rendezvous for anglers. The river Awe is a first-rate water for fine trout and salmon.
Including Mythical, Mythological, "taboo" Or Sacred, Genealogical ... and Other Names and Terms of and Allusions to Persons, Things, Acts, and Places in Ancient Times; Also, Showing Their Affinities with Cognate Polynesian Dialects and Foreign Languages; with Copious Pure Maori Examples ... by William Colenso
Awe, s. 1.
Hlingit Word Encyclopedia (2011)
The Origin of Copper by Sally-Anne Lambert
awe = aoi, a réir, naile, arfeadh (common particle) awe' = ream (cukAdawe', 152) awuL ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
* AWE. n.s.\egc, oga.
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
* AWE ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Awe
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about awe
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun awe:
Photos about Awe
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: swkaplan
Photo credit: alaspoorwho
Photo credit: thinkround
Sunday in Maui
Photo credit: Mike Miley
Buckingam Palace, London
Photo credit: bru76
Photo credit: h3h
Photo credit: chrishobcroft
Photo credit: quinn.anya
Photo credit: erokism
Strobist: Bare Vivitar 285HV behind model bounced on the ceiling to create High key look.
Photo credit: Ian Norman (Lonely Speck)
Beautiful horizon, 12500 meters over the Persian Gulf.
Photo credit: DjordjeR
- Tree of Awe
Photo credit: camshafter
Photo credit: Ayleen Dority
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Awe
Click on an item to play that video:
- Awe Meaning
Video shows what awe means. A feeling of fear and reverence.. A feeling of amazement.. awe pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- AWE L4.1 - Definition of Ego 2013-3-2
- Awe vs Pragmatism with Explanation
- Adventure time has the best definition of AWE
- ESL Vocabulary : awe
- ESL Vocabulary : awe
View more videos about In Awe.
See also the pronunciation examples of Awe!
Quotes about Awe
The secrets of wealth and the love of the muse,
But gladness is predictable by universal laws;
Awe! Awe! Awareness in life without autocracy! !
For my name is Heidi. (Edward Kofi Louis)
more quotes about awe...
Scrabble value of A1W4E1
The value of this 3-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine