The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective awful:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective awful
- Definition of the adverb awful
- Phrases with Awful
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Awful
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Awful
- Photos about Awful
- Video language resources about Awful
- Quotes about Awful
- Scrabble value of A1W4F4U1L1
- Anagrams of AWFUL
- Share this page
The word awful is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective awful
What does awful mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more awful / awfuller | most awful / awfullest
- exceptionally bad or displeasing
- causing fear or dread or terror
- offensive or even (of persons) malicious
- inspired by a feeling of fearful wonderment or reverence
- extreme in degree or extent or amount or impact
- inspiring awe or admiration or wonder
Alternative definition of the adjective awful
- Oppressing with fear or horror; appalling, terrible.
- [context: now rare] Inspiring awe; filling with profound reverence or respect; profoundly impressive.
- Struck or filled with awe.
- [obsolete] Terror-stricken.
- Worshipful; reverential; law-abiding.
- Exceedingly great; usually applied intensively.
- Very bad.
Definition of the adverb awful
What does awful mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- used as intensifiers
Alternative definition of the adverb awful
- [colloquial] Very, extremely; as, an 'awful' big house.
- "Awful" is the twelfth single, and also third EP, by American alternative rock band Hole, from their third studio album Celebrity Skin. Released in April 1999 by Geffen Records as a CD single, the song's lyrics explore how the media and modern pop culture corrupt young girls and how they should rebel against this. The line "swing low, sweet cherry" in the song is an allusion to the African American spiritual hymn, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".
- "Awful" is the 1999 single album by Hole.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Awful" is a musical single of Tülpa.
- released on
Phrases with Awful
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Awful
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Americanism (1848)
by John Russel Bartlett
AWFUL, adj ...
by Adrian Room
AWESOME/AWFUL awesome/ awful Awesome is used for someone or something that inspires or displays awe or is usually impressive: 'The mountain was an awesome sight.' Awful formerly had a similar meaning ('full of awe'), especially ...
by Henry Watson Fowler, Jeremy Butterfield
awful including the following: The depth of quality on the Steeler squad is awesome—there is no apparent weakness anywhere—A. Mount in Playboy, 1979. Its current, widespread use as a blanket term of approval is first noted in the Official ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Awful
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Awful
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: miss_rogue
And it was all handmade in Minnesota. It was cold to walk on in May, and it's going to be even colder in January. Plans are already underway to sledgehammer this monstrosity.
Photo credit: numb3r
Photo credit: Charkrem
Photo credit: rick
Photo credit: k0a1a.net
- Deliciously awful!
Some really horrible "architecture" or maybe it was just banged together like a monstrous lego construction set with no regard for people ...
Photo credit: 70023venus2009
- Awful Hotel Rooms of Bombay
invisible here: running water - from behind the wooden board replacing the window pane. Wonders upon wonders...
Photo credit: Mr Thinktank
- AWFUL THOUGHTS
Photo credit: mugwumpian
- Awful July...
Taken with picplz.
Photo credit: papapep
- Now it's just fecking awful
Photo credit: Karen_O'D
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Awful
Click on an item to play that video:
- Awful Meaning
Video shows what awful means. Oppressing with fear or horror; appalling, terrible.. Inspiring awe; filling with profound reverence or respect; profoundly ...
- Tech Wannabes Give Hilariously Awful Explanation of Hockey S
- July Awful Quality Test/Explanation
- Terminator: Genisys Trailer Description and AWFUL Promo Images!
- Terrible Golfer, Awful Drive, Disgusting ANGRY LANGUAGE!
Angry golfer PULLS Drive STRAIGHT INTO A HEDGE and he gets very angry about it!
- Poor Bailey - The Awful English Language
- Poor Bailey - The Awful English Language
Poor Bailey playing The Awful English Language at Blakes in Berkeley, CA.
- Poor Bailey - Awful English Language | Oakland, CA 1.26.11
See also the pronunciation examples of Awful!
Quotes about Awful
Into this, for good or ill, is woven every belief of every man who has speech of his fellows. A awful privilege, and an awful responsibility, that we should help to create the world in which posterity will live. (William Kingdon Clifford)
more quotes about awful...
Scrabble value of A1W4F4U1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AWFUL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Awful!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Awful to see it in context!