Banal appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Deliver stark satanism, or go plan a bow to two banal pogroms in a task rats reviled.
- "Reviled, I won Pussy banal life, but animals I slam in a tube fill an abyss up now," I deliver.
On this page:
Banal (commonplace; trite) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's absolutely essential words for the GRE, which includes 300 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective banal
What does banal mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more banal / banaler | most banal / banalest
- repeated too often; overfamiliar through overuse
- examples: Much of the riots' coverage was taken from the cell phones of passersby, saving local news outlets valuable film which they would later use for banal "human" "interest" "stories." | His photographs are unsparingly critical, and his inimitable eye unmasks the banal as well as the grotesque.
- synonyms of banal: commonplace / hackneyed / old-hat / shopworn / stock / threadbare / timeworn / tired / trite / well-worn
- similar: unoriginal
Alternative definition of the adjective banal
- Common in a boring way, to the point of being predictable; containing nothing new or fresh.
Definition of the adjective banal for high school students
- dull, commonplace
- example: The client rejected our proposal because they found our presentation banal and unimpressive.
The adjective banal is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
- country: Philippines
- languages: Tagalog language, Filipino language
- producer: Mac Cruz
- executive producer: Jennifer M. Cruz
- production design by Trinka Lat
- written by Cesar Apolinario & Cris Lim
- based on a story by Mac Cruz & Cesar Apolinario
- cinematography by Jay Linao
- edited by Danny Anonuevo
- music by Wacky Acosta
- genres: Action Film, Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Banal" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music and lyrics by Bill Nelson
- "Banal" is a musical single of Bill Nelson.
- released in (34 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Banal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Medieval Village (2012)
by G. G. Coulton
The French adjective banal is a legacy from those days.
by Fathali M. Moghaddam
The British social psychologist Michael Billig has coined the term banal nationalism to summarize the many ways in which nations, and nationalism itself, promote and perpetuate themselves through everyday contents that remind national ...
by Jeremy Butterfield
banal,. pronounced buhnahl and meaning 'trite, feeble, commonplace', is a loanword that has survived, despite Fowler's diatribe ('imported from France by a class of writers whose jaded taste relishes novel or imposing jargon'), because no ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
asset, chattel, goods, lot, possession, product, quantity, staple, stock, ware common: average, banal, base, bourgeois, cheap, coarse, conventional, current, customary, daily, everyday, familiar, frequent, general, generic, habitual, hackneyed, ...
by Daniel Jones, Beverley Collins, Inger M. Mees
banal 'baenbari ['basmb-] Banbury 'bambaks, ...
by John D. H. Downing
One crucial transformation was the shift of online nationalism from political to economic realms, and from “hard” heroic street protests at critical moments to “ soft” Chinese “banal nationalism” circulated in the everyday lives of Chinese netizens.
“739" Banal”: lidm/'u/u/v:v .4 Danlhn' "- "a ...
by Athena S. Leoussi
talks ahout banal nationalism: the everyday habits of social life, such as the routine flying of national flags, that remind citizens of ...
Abridged from Webster's New International Dictionary, 900 Illustrations by Noah Webster
Threadbare, stereotyped, vapid, banal. — Trite, hackneyed, banal. Trite iuipliesesp. lack of novelty or interest ; that is hackneyed which is worn out, as it were, by constant use ; banal suggests the commonplace or trivial ; as, trite remarks, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Banal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Banal
Click on an item to view that photo:
adjective: so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring.
Photo credit: pedrik
"Lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring."
Photo credit: Gamma Man
- Another banal cat picture
Photo credit: eva101
- Banal Decay
Photo credit: magicredshoes
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Banal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Banal Meaning
Video shows what banal means. Common in a boring way, to the point of being predictable; containing nothing new or fresh.. banal pronunciation. How to ...
- How to say banal (with definition)
How to pronounce "banal". Look it up in the Cambridge Dictionary - find the definition and more at ...
- ESL Vocabulary : banal
- ESL Vocabulary : banal
See also the pronunciation examples of Banal!
Quotes about Banal
Scrabble value of B3A1N1A1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BANAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Banal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Banal to see it in context!