The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb beautify:
On this page:
The word beautify is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb beautify
What does beautify mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: beautified
- make more beautiful
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of beautify: embellish / fancify / prettify
- antonym of beautify: uglify
- more generic words: ameliorate / amend / better / improve / meliorate = to make better
- more specific terms:
- neaten / groom = care for one's external appearance
- curry / dress / groom = give a neat appearance to
- window-dress / dress up = make something appear superficially attractive
- smarten up / spruce up / tittivate / slick up / spiff up / titivate / spruce = make neat, smart, or trim
- smoothen / polish / smooth / shine = make (a surface) shine
- become / suit = enhance the appearance of
- be beautiful to look at
- make more attractive by adding ornament, colour, etc.
- examples: beautify yourself for the special day | They beautify the halls with holly
- lexical domain: Creation - verbs of sewing, baking, painting, performing
- synonyms of beautify: adorn / decorate / embellish / grace / ornament
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific terms:
- wreathe = decorate or deck with wreaths
- encrust / incrust / beset = decorate or cover lavishly
- braid = decorate with braids or ribbons
- embroider / broider = decorate with needlework
- stick = cover and decorate with objects that pierce the surface
- illustrate = supply with illustrations
- garland = adorn with bands of flowers or leaves
- fledge / flight = decorate with feathers
- bespangle / spangle = decorate with spangles
- foliate = decorate with leaves
- flag = decorate with flags
- caparison / dress up / barde / bard = put a caparison on
- bead = decorate by sewing beads onto
- pipe = trim with piping
- applique = sew on as a decoration
- paint the lily / gild the lily = adorn unnecessarily
- vermiculate = decorate with wavy or winding lines
- smock = embellish by sewing in straight lines crossing each other diagonally
- hang = decorate or furnish with something suspended
- prank = dress or decorate showily or gaudily
- tinsel = adorn with tinsel
- tart up = decorate in a cheap and flashy way
- stucco = decorate with stucco work
- redecorate = redo the decoration of an apartment or house
- panel = decorate with panels
- bejewel / jewel = adorn or decorate with precious stones
- fillet / filet = decorate with a lace of geometric designs
- scallop = decorate an edge with scallops
- bedizen = decorate tastelessly
- dress ship = decorate a ship with flags
- garnish / dress / trim = decorate (food), as with parsley or other ornamental foods
- trim = decorate, as with ornaments
- bedight / bedeck / deck = decorate
- festoon = decorate with strings of flowers
- enamel = coat, inlay, or surface with enamel
- inlay = decorate the surface of by inserting wood, stone, and metal
- lacquer = coat with lacquer
- begild / engild / gild = decorate with, or as if with, gold leaf or liquid gold
- illuminate = add embellishments and paintings to
- emblazon / blazon = decorate with heraldic arms
- emblazon / colour / color = decorate with colors
- fringe = adorn with a fringe
- fret = decorate with an interlaced design
- landscape = embellish with plants
Alternative definition of the verb beautify
- [transitive] To make beautiful, or to increase the beauty of.
- synonym: adorn
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for beautify
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Concise Dictionary of Gecez (2010)
by Wolf Leslau
sannaya 'be beautiful, be good, seem good, be well, be fine, be excellent, be fitting, be appropriate'; /iwVP msannaya 'beautify, adorn, decorate, act well, behave rightly, do good, do well, do a favor, treat well, be gracious, ...
To which is Prefixed, a Grammar of the English Language by J. Johnson
To BEAUTIFY, v. a. to adorn ; to embellish; to deck; ...
by Cyrus Byington
to beautify; to become pleasant to the sight. pisa aiukli, pp., beautified; adorned. pisa aiukli, a., fair; handsome. pisa aiukli keyu, a., homely; ugly. pisa aiuklichi, v. t., to beautify; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for beautify
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about beautify
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about beautify
Video shows what beautify means. To make beautiful, or to increase the beauty of.. beautify pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary dictionary.
See also the pronunciation examples of beautify!
Quotes about beautify
Scrabble value of B3E1A1U1T1I1F4Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of beautify to see it in context!