Being appears in the following tongue twister:
- When a doctor doctors a doctor,
does the doctor doing the doctoring
doctor as the doctor being doctored wants to be doctored or
does the doctor doing the doctoring doctor as he wants to doctor?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun being:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun being
- Other definitions of being
- Phrases with Being
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Being
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Being
- Photos about Being
- Video language resources about Being
- Sign language
- Quotes about Being
- Scrabble value of B3E1I1N1G2
- Anagrams of BEING
- Share this page
Being is sometimes a misspelling of been.
The word being is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun being
What does being mean as a name of something?
Being is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: beings
- the state or fact of existing
- example: a point of view gradually coming into being
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of being: beingness / existence / face of the earth
- antonym of being: nonbeing
- more generic word: state = the way something is with respect to its main attributes
- more specific terms:
- actuality = the state of actually existing objectively
- timeless existence / timelessness / eternity = a state of eternal existence believed in some religions to characterize the afterlife
- preexistence = existing in a former state or previous to something else
- coexistence = existing peacefully together
- subsistence = the state of existing in reality
- presence = the state of being present
- life = the course of existence of an individual
- aliveness / animation / living / life = the condition of living or the state of being alive
- life = a characteristic state or mode of living
- transcendence / transcendency = a state of being or existence above and beyond the limits of material experience
- possibleness / possibility = capability of existing or happening or being true
- a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently
- lexical domain: Tops - unique beginner for nouns
- synonym of being: organism
- more generic terms: animate thing / living thing = a living (or once living) entity
- more specific terms:
- benthos = organisms (plants and animals) that live at or near the bottom of a sea
- dwarf = a plant or animal that is atypically small
- heterotroph = an organism that depends on complex organic substances for nutrition
- parent = an organism (plant or animal) from which younger ones are obtained
- individual / somebody / someone / mortal / person / soul = a human being
- animate being / creature / animal / beast / brute / fauna = a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
- plant life / flora / plant = a living organism lacking the power of locomotion
- native = indigenous plants and animals
- recombinant = a cell or organism in which genetic recombination has occurred
- conspecific = an organism belonging to the same species as another organism
- carrier = an organism that possesses a recessive gene whose effect is masked by a dominant allele
- denizen = a plant or animal naturalized in a region
- amphidiploid = an organism or cell having a diploid set of chromosomes from each parent
- diploid = an organism or cell having the normal amount of DNA per cell
- haploid = an organism or cell having only one complete set of chromosomes
- heteroploid = an organism or cell having a chromosome number that is not an even multiple of the haploid chromosome number for that species
- polyploid = an organism or cell having more than twice the haploid number of chromosomes
- animalculum / animalcule = microscopic organism such as an amoeba or paramecium
- micro-organism / microorganism = any organism of microscopic size
- aerobe = an organism (especially a bacterium) that requires air or free oxygen for life
- anaerobe = an organism (especially a bacterium) that does not require air or free oxygen to live
- crossbreed / hybrid / cross = an organism that is the offspring of genetically dissimilar parents or stock
- polymorph = an organism that can assume more than one adult form as in the castes of ants or termites
- congenator / congeneric / congener / relative = an animal or plant that bears a relationship to another
- plankton = the aggregate of small plant and animal organisms that float or drift in great numbers in fresh or salt water
- nekton = the aggregate of actively swimming animals in a body of water ranging from microscopic organisms to whales
- parasite = an animal or plant that lives in or on a host
- host = an animal or plant that nourishes and supports a parasite
- commensal = either of two different animal or plant species living in close association but not interdependent
- myrmecophile = an organism such as an insect that habitually shares the nest of a species of ant
- eucaryote / eukaryote = an organism with cells characteristic of all life forms except primitive microorganisms such as bacteria
- procaryote / prokaryote = a unicellular organism having cells lacking membrane-bound nuclei
- zooid = one of the distinct individuals forming a colonial animal such as a bryozoan or hydrozoan
- clone / clon = a group of genetically identical cells or organisms derived from a single cell or individual by some kind of asexual reproduction
- throwback / atavist = an organism that has the characteristics of a more primitive type of that organism
- individual = a single organism
- mascot = a character, animal or object that is adopted by a team or group as a symbolic figure
- variation / mutation / mutant / sport = an organism that has characteristics resulting from chromosomal alteration
- postdiluvian = anything living after Noah's flood
- sitter = an organism (person or animal) that sits
- stander = an organism (person or animal) that stands
- vocaliser / vocalizer / utterer = an organism that can utter vocal sounds
- fungus = an organism of the kingdom Fungi lacking chlorophyll and feeding on organic matter
- nonvascular organism = organisms without vascular tissue: e.g. algae, lichens, fungi, mosses
- relict = an organism or species surviving as a remnant of an otherwise extinct flora or fauna in an environment much changed from that in which it originated
- saprophytic organism / saprophyte = an organism that feeds on dead organic matter especially a fungus or bacterium
- saprobe = an organism that lives in and derives its nourishment from organic matter in stagnant or foul water
- katharobe = an organism that lives in an oxygenated medium lacking organic matter
- substance: tissue = part of an organism consisting of an aggregate of cells having a similar structure and function
Alternative definition of the noun being
- A living creature.
- The state or fact of existence, consciousness, or life, or something in such a state.
- [philosophy] That which has actuality (materially or in concept).
- [philosophy] One's basic nature, or the qualities thereof; essence or personality.
Other definitions of being
What does being also mean?
- [obsolete] Given that; since.
Being is a musical group.
- album: "Anthropocene"
- official website: www.being-music.com
- "Being" is a musical album of Mozart's Sister.
- released on
- "being" is a musical single of KOTOKO.
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Being" is a musical album of Linda Worster.
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Being" is a musical album of Ayurveda.
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Being" is a composition.
- "Being" is a musical album of Mausoleia.
- "Being" is a 2012 EP album by Aegaeon.
- released on
- "Being" is a book written by Kevin Brooks.
- genre: Fiction
- released in (9 years ago)
- award: - Carnegie Medal nomination for Kevin Brooks
- "Being" is a book by Mary Kellett.
"Being" is a film, directed by William Farley.
"Being" is a video game.
- genre: Platform game
- released on (7 years ago)
Being is a 2013 Telly Award winning TV program, created for Centric.
- award: - Telly Award for TV Programs, Segments, or Promotional Pieces Film/Video - Documentary, received by Centric
Phrases with Being
Phrases starting with the word Being:
Phrases ending with the word Being:
- time being
- human being
- Higher Being
- animate being
- supreme being
- Fleet in being
- mythical being
- State of Being
- come into being
- imaginary being
- spiritual being
- for the time being
- supernatural being
Other phrase containing the word Being:
View more phrases with the word Being in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Being
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
urinary bladder Muscular reservoir where urine from the kidneys collects before being evacuated through the urethra. urethra Membranous canal enabling the evacuation of urine. In the male, it also ureter Long muscular membranous canal ...
by Sally-Anne Lambert
BY OTHERS To arouse suspicions whakamohio To be balked rehea Balked / Disappointed tukaru Disappointment ketekete / kérehu Dissension / Strife / Hostility / *War Rousing indignation / Indignant / Indignation whakatakariri Being at fault ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Being
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Being
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Irudayam
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Being
Click on an item to play that video:
- Talking about being sick - English health vocabulary
When you're sick, it's important to know how to describe how you feel. This vocabulary lesson will help you to talk about sickness and bodily pain!
- John Lennox in Australia - The Meaning of Being a Christian
This beautiful video brightens up people's questions about life and helps you see life from a better prospective. Brilliant presentation, elaborate scientific theories ...
- The Meaning of Being a Dad
Author and Envirodad.com creator Eric Novak discusses the meaning of being a Dad in this video montage featuring dozens of fathers, and designed to be a ...
- Body Language Expert Mark Bowden at TEDxToronto - The Importance Of Being Inauthentic
Body language, behavior and business communication expert Mark Bowden speaks at the fifth annual TEDxToronto. For more help go to...
- Barry Long - Being Beyond Description
- Introducing The Cambodian Language - And Being An Expat
- Being sick. A norwegian language lesson.
This is a lesson on words and sentences connected to being sick. Now you can tell people you feel like crap or that you need pain killers! :) ...
- The Word "Gullible" is Being Removed From the Dictionary
Did you know that the Word "Gullible" is Being Removed From the Dictionary to Save Space in Next Year's Edition? Yep. The word gullible is not in the dictionary ...
- ESL One Cologne 2015: Taz being a great sportmans
During the post match interview with the audience began to boo him and olofmeister'a stood Taz, asking to show respect. This cyber sportsman. If you sign up, ...
- How to be a better language learner by being Agile and Lean - Benson Hoi
Benson has a Master in Computer Science and Mathematics and a Graduate Certificate in Linguistics. Here he introduces the principles of Agile and Lean ...
- Word's Most Ancient Language Being Deciphered
The world's most ancient language is currently being deciphered to help unravel a mystery. The most ancient written language system in the world that has not ...
- The Mayan language being spoken
A little Mayan girl recites something in Mayan for tourists.
- ESL Lesson: Being Polite -- Accepting And Rejecting Invitations
- Rob Brinded - The Body Language Recipe For Being Attractive
The Body Language Recipe For Being Attractive - Get the brand-new FULL HD-Videos from all 4 Conferences now at -...
- Present Simple - States of Being - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Sedona Karma to Cosmic with Star Being Light Language - Andrea Foulkes
UK SOLSTICE SOUL FREEDOM WORKSHOPS 20th June 2015 & 21st June 2015 - Chalice Well, Avalon, UK Sedona Arizona Karma to Cosmic Pleadian, Sirus ...
- America 1 pg 1: being the latest and most accurate description of the new world
Chap 1 pg 1.
- Mighty 'GIRLS of GOD' - Being Fulfilled | See 'DESCRIPTION'
- ESL / EFL Teaching Tip: Tips for Being Observed
This is Noga, the Academic Director at Rennert International, giving teachers a few tips on things to keep in mind when they are being observed by their ...
- The Oxford Dictionary is being sued
- How Too Change The Keyboard Language Being Typed In OS X
- A New Testament Verb You Are Being Asked to Disbelieve
A quick discussion of a verb you will be asked to reject and disbelieve in the course of the coming week---if you are a Christian, that is.
- Rapoport: Mariota contract being held up by offset language
NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport Tennessee Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota's contract being held up by offset language.
- Heidegger on Language, Being and Thinking
Martin Heidegger speaks about the instrumentalisation of language, the question of Being, the task of thinking, and Marxism.
- Being at Home / Language Learning
- Zen for Absolute Beginners 113: Language & Being
175. Language belongs to the realm of thought, the truth becomes [thus] wrongly [represented]; transcendental knowledge (prajna) being discriminated by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Being!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Being Overweight - Heart Healthy Series [British Sign Language]
This video has information about how to keep your heart healthy, provided in British Sign Language (BSL). It will help you to think about the things you could do, ...
- The Fun of Being a Sign Language Interpreter
- Trust Christ in the depths of your being / American Sign Language
- Being A Living Testimony ''MCAGC Youth Winter Concert 2010'' (in sign language)
- Sign language being used by staff
Quotes about Being
Being sad can make you depressed; Being happy can make your life and other's fun.
Being sad makes you have bad thoughts; being happy can make you get your mind off of things.
Being sad ISN'T fun; Being happy IS fun. (Kelsey Sescila)
more quotes about being...
Scrabble value of B3E1I1N1G2
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BEING
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Being!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Being to see it in context!