The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun bent:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun bent
- Definition of the adjective bent
- Phrases with Bent
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bent
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bent
- Photos about Bent
- Videos about Bent
- Sign language
- Quotes about Bent
- Scrabble value of B3E1N1T1
- Anagrams of BENT
- Share this page
Bent is sometimes a misspelling of been.
The word bent is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bent
What does bent mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bents
- a relatively permanent inclination to react in a particular way
- grass for pastures and lawns especially bowling and putting greens
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of bent: bent grass / bent-grass
- more generic word: grass = narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals
- more specific terms:
- Rhode Island bent / velvet bent grass / Agrostis canina / velvet bent / brown bent / dog bent = common grass with slender stems and narrow leaves
- Agrostis nebulosa / cloud grass = Spanish grass with light feathery panicles grown for dried bouquets
- Agrostis palustris / creeping bentgrass / creeping bent = common pasture or lawn grass spread by long runners
- member of: Agrostis / genus Agrostis = annual or perennial grasses cosmopolitan in northern hemisphere: bent grass
- an area of grassland unbounded by fences or hedges
- a special way of doing something
Alternative definition of the noun bent
- An inclination or talent.
- A predisposition to act or react in a particular way.
- Any of various stiff or reedy grasses.
- A grassy area, grassland.
Definition of the adjective bent
What does bent mean as an attribute of a noun?
- fixed in your purpose
- used of the back and knees; stooped
- of metal e.g.
Alternative definition of the adjective bent
- [context: Of something that is usually straight] folded, dented
- synonym: crooked
- [derogatory, colloquial, chiefly UK] Homosexual.
- synonym: queer
- Determined or insistent.
- Of a person leading a life of crime.
- [slang, football] inaccurate at shooting
- [colloquial, chiefly US] Suffering from the bends
- high from using both marijuana and alcohol.
- "Bent" is a 1997 British/Japanese drama film directed by Sean Mathias, based on the 1979 play of the same name by Martin Sherman, who also wrote the screenplay. It revolves around the persecution of homosexuals in Nazi Germany after the murder of SA leader Ernst Röhm on the Night of the Long Knives.
- countries: United Kingdom, Japan
- language: English Language
- production design by Stephen Brimson Lewis
- art direction by Andrew Golding
- written by Martin Sherman
- based on "Bent" by Martin Sherman
- Clive Owen as Max
- Ian McKellen as Uncle Freddie
- Jude Law as Stormtrooper
- Lothaire Bluteau as Horst
- Mick Jagger as Greta/George
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Wolf
- Suzanne Bertish
- Paul Bettany as Captain
- Gresby Nash
- Brian Webber
- Rachel Weisz as Prostitute
- Sadie Frost as Max's Friend
- Rupert Penry-Jones as Guard on Road
- Rupert Graves as Officer on Train
- casting by Andy Pryor
- cinematography by Giorgos Arvanitis
- edited by Isabelle Lorente
- music by Philip Glass
- costume design by Stewart Meachem
- genres: War film, LGBT, Drama
- subjects: The Holocaust, World War II
- rating: R (USA), NC-17 (USA)
- released in (18 years ago)
- award: - GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Film – Limited Release
- official website: www.mgm.com/title_clip.php?title_star=BENT
- Bent is an American romantic comedy television series that ran on NBC from March 21 to April 4, 2012. The series was created by Tad Quill and stars Amanda Peet as a recently divorced lawyer and David Walton as the irresponsible general contractor hired to remodel her kitchen. Supporting roles are played by Jeffrey Tambor, Margo Harshman, Pasha D. Lychnikoff and Joey King. On May 11, 2012, NBC cancelled the sitcom.
- also known as 半路情缘
- begun on and completed on
- 6 episodes of 21 minutes each
- country: United States of America
- regular cast:
- genres: Sitcom, Comedy
- official website: www.nbc.com/bent
"Bent" is a 1979 play by Martin Sherman. It revolves around the persecution of gays in Nazi Germany, and takes place during and after the Night of the Long Knives.
- subjects: Homosexuality, Nazism, Night of the Long Knives, Nazi Germany, The Holocaust, Nazi concentration camps
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2012 film Teddy Bear.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2007 film The Early Years: Erik Nietzsche Part 1.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2010 film Submarino.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2009 film Oldboys.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 1986 film Flamberede hjerter.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2014 film Bear.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 1976 film It All Adds Up.
- Bent is a fictional character from the 2012 film Custodian.
There are other characters with in their name, like Bent Fabric.
- "Bent" is a song by American alternative rock group Matchbox Twenty. It was released in July 2000 as the lead single from their second album, Mad Season. The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 on July 22, 2000, and stayed there for one week before being unseated by 'N Sync's "It's Gonna Be Me". It remains the band's only number one hit on that chart.
- award: - Grammy Award for Best Rock Song nomination for Rob Thomas
- "Bent" is a musical album of Heaven.
- released in (34 years ago)
- "Bent" is a musical album of The Ssion.
- released on
- "Bent" is a musical single of Matchbox Twenty.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Bent" is a musical album of Kinky Machine.
- released on (21 years ago)
- "Bent" is a musical album of Psÿco Drama.
- released in (19 years ago)
- "Bent" is a musical album of Gary Willis.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Bent" is a musical album of Bent.
- "Bent" is a musical album of Don Richmond.
- "Bent" is a musical composition by BandB.
- Bent are an electronica act from Nottingham in England, consisting of Neil "Nail" Tolliday and Simon Mills. They gained critical acclaim from their debut album Programmed to Love in 2000.
- also known as Bent (Band)
- member of musical group Bent and Kosheen
- genres: Electronica, Electronic music, Electronic dance music
- albums: "Programmed to Love", "The Everlasting Blink", "Ariels", "Flavour Country EP", "Intercept!", "Always", "Bent", "Go! Kommando EP", "Swollen", "EP1", "Magic Love", "FabricLive.11", "Comin' Back", "Best Of", "Music for Barbecues", "Bent Reworked", "Later: Compiled and Mixed by Bent", "From the Vaults: 1998 - 2006", "As You Fall (Kyau & Albert Remix)", "As You Fall"
- official website: www.bent-world.com
- Bent is a musician.
- profession: Musician
- member of musical group The Girls! (Bass guitar)
- Bent, or ￃﾁgￃﾺst Bent Sigbertsson is a renowned Iceland rapper. He was a founding and leading member of famous Icelandic rap group XXX Rottweiler hundar, which published two successful albums in 2001 and 2003. The band made rap popular in Iceland; they were the first successful, exclusively-Icelandic rap group in history.
Bent a.k.a. Bent, New Mexico: Bent is a census-designated place in Otero County, New Mexico, United States. Its population was 119 as of the 2010 census. Bent has a post office with ZIP code 88314. U.S. Route 70 passes through the community.
- read more about Bent, New Mexico
- Bent: A bent in American English is a framework composed of several structural members that defines the cross-section of a timber frame building or supports a trestle. In British English this assembly is called a "cross frame". The term bent is probably an archaic past tense of the verb to bind, referring to the way the timbers of a bent are joined together. The Dutch word is bint, the Frisian is bynt, and the German is bind. Compare this with the term bend for a class of knots.
- Bent is a free magazine that targets gay men and is distributed to 400 gay bars, clubs and saunas around the United Kingdom. Published monthly by All Points North UK in Leeds, it largely focuses on entertainment, celebrities, film, DVD and music as well as television, comedy and scene news.
- official website: bent.com
- Bent a.k.a. Bent molecular geometry: In chemistry, the term "bent" can be applied to certain molecules to describe their molecular geometry. Certain atoms, such as oxygen, due to their electron configuration will almost always set their two covalent bonds in non-collinear directions. H₂O is an example of a bent molecule. The bond angle between the two hydrogen atoms is approximately 104.45°. Nonlinear triatomic molecules and ions are common for compounds containing only main group elements, prominent examples being water, nitrogen dioxide, SCl₂, and the CH₂.
- read more about Bent molecular geometry
- Bent is a 1979-1980 theater production of the play by Martin Sherman.
- Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Play nomination for David Dukes
- Tony Award for Best Play nomination for Martin Sherman, Steven Steinlauf, Jack Schlissel
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Sound Design nomination for Stanley Silverman
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play nomination for David Dukes
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play nomination for Michael Gross
- Bent is a 1978 West End theater production of the play by Martin Sherman.
- Bent is a 1997 theater production of the play by Martin Sherman.
- award: - Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Supporting Actor, Resident Play nomination for Christopher Henley
- Bent is a 1990 theater production of the play by Martin Sherman.
- award: - Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor nomination for Ian McKellen
- Bent is a family name.
Phrases with Bent
Phrases starting with the word Bent:
Phrases ending with the word Bent:
- dog bent
- Get Bent
- black bent
- brown bent
- rough bent
- Redtop Bent
- Upland Bent
- velvet bent
- Colonial Bent
View more phrases with the word Bent in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bent
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bruce Biggs
bent, aslimbs hakoko, huupeke, kopa, pehu. bent, having the knees turipeepeke. bent (crooked) konuke , ...
by Bent Greve
Bent Greve. Not so long ago, a book on the welfare state would have mainly praised such advantages as enhanced security, greater financial support, and a comfortable old age. The depiction would have been generally positive. But the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bent
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bent
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Bent
Click on an item to play that video:
- Smell Bent Vocabulary Collection Perfume Review by EauMG
Indie perfume line, Smell Bent, has launched the Vocabulary Collection. This is a collection of 6 straightforward perfumes: Dry, Floral, Green, Citrus, Woody and ...
- Circuit Bent TV Analogue Systems by Questions in Dialect Live Improvisation
- Vocabulary learning 2 Bent
- Pseudoskeptics Your bent definition of reality quite different to Mainstream Norms
- Bent Spear Meaning
Video shows what Bent Spear means. A reporting term to identify and report the significant incident with a nuclear weapon, nuclear components, ...
- Funk-e Uitleganimatie - Animated Explanation Video: UPC Bent u al klant
Funk-e Branding is a Rotterdam and Berlin based company that produces awesome animated explanation videos in 2D to help other businesses to explain their ...
- Curved Crooked or Bent - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Madnoodler's Circuit Bent Language Learner
- Circuit Bent Language Learner Drone -Statikstramentz
1. Pitch Knob 2. Distortion Toggle Switch 3. 3 Touch Contacts-pitch down and modulation/distortion 4. RCA Output Jack 1 of 1-SOLD.
See also the pronunciation examples of Bent!
Sign Language - Level 1: Variation on CL: Bent B
From the Sign Language: Level One series on RioCommons.
Quotes about Bent
Scrabble value of B3E1N1T1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine