On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bent grass
What does bent grass mean as a name of something?
- grass for pastures and lawns especially bowling and putting greens
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- alternative spelling: bent-grass
- synonym of bent grass: bent
- more generic word: grass = narrow-leaved green herbage: grown as lawns; used as pasture for grazing animals
- more specific terms:
- Rhode Island bent / velvet bent grass / Agrostis canina / velvet bent / brown bent / dog bent = common grass with slender stems and narrow leaves
- Agrostis nebulosa / cloud grass = Spanish grass with light feathery panicles grown for dried bouquets
- Agrostis palustris / creeping bentgrass / creeping bent = common pasture or lawn grass spread by long runners
- member of: Agrostis / genus Agrostis = annual or perennial grasses cosmopolitan in northern hemisphere: bent grass
Alternative definition of the noun bent grass
- Any of several grasses, of the genus Agrostis, native to temperate climates; grown for pasture, turf and for putting greens and golf courses.
Specialised definition of the noun bent grass
Glossary of sports / golf
the most common type of grass on northern courses
Phrases with bent grass
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for bent grass
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bill Mallon, Randon Jerris
Bent grass is from the genus Agrostis, which has over 100 species in the grass family Poaceae. Bent grass has several advantages for golf courses— it can be mowed to a very short length without damage, it can handle a great amount of foot ...
The domestic encyclopedia, or, A dictionary of facts and useful knowledge, chiefly applicable to rural & domestic economy (1821)
with an appendix, containing additions in domestic medicine, and the veterinary and culinary arts by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich, Thomas Cooper, Katherine Golden Bitting Collection on Gastronomy (Library of Congress)
Agrostis, bent grass.* stolonifcra, florin grass.* cupillaris, line bent grass-* vulgaris, red-top grass-* Aira, hair grass- Jlexuosa, mountain hair grass. caryophillea, silver hair grass. Alopccurus, Fox-tail grass * prateiuis, meadow fox- tail-* bulbosns ...
The gardeners dictionary (1835)
by Philip Miller
AoRosTis alba (white bent grass). Panicle loose, calyces equal, and culms creeping. — A perennial, growing in ditches, marshes, and moist meadows. Withering mentions four varieties ; one with panicle branches, crowded with florets at the ...
by Philip Miller
Spider Bent Grass (A. arachnoides, Elliot). From North America : panicle longish, slender ; husks equalling the one-valved chaff; awn long, weak, on the back. 51. Reed Bent Grass (A. arundinaeea, Presl). A perennial from Peru : straw erect, ...
The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana [T. Curtis]. (1839)
by Thomas Curtis (of Grove house sch, Islington)
Fine bent grass, agrostis capillars, is re is an abiding plant. It affects chiefly the dry parts of meadows, though it is to be found on most good pastures. It is very retentive of its seeds, and may therefore be suffered to remain till the stalks are quite ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for bent grass
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about bent grass
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about bent grass
Bent grass Meaning
Video shows what bent grass means. Any of several grasses, of the genus Agrostis, native to temperate climates, grown for pasture, turf and for putting greens ...Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine