Black appears in many tongue twisters:
- black back bat
- Black Rock Brain Lock
- Black background, brown background.
Black appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow. (Used by Adobe InDesign when providing samples of all fonts; 29 letters)
- Few black taxis drive up major roads on quiet hazy nights. (47 letters)
- Freight to me sixty dozen quart jars and twelve black pans. (48 letters)
Black appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Eda, Emil's red roses suck!" Cal Black cusses, orders tram.
Usage statistics for the adjective black:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective black
- Definition of the noun black
- Definition of the verb black
- Phrases with Black
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Black
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Black
- Usage statistics about black
- Photos about Black
- Video language resources about Black
- Sign language
- Quotes about Black
- Scrabble value of B3L1A1C3K5
- Share this page
The word black is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective black
What does black mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: blacker | blackest
- being of the achromatic color of maximum darkness; having little or no hue owing to absorption of almost all incident light
- of or belonging to a racial group especially of sub-Saharan African origin
- marked by anger or resentment or hostility
- examples: black looks | black words
- similar: angry
- offering little or no hope
- stemming from evil characteristics or forces; wicked or dishonorable
- (of events) having extremely unfortunate or dire consequences; bringing ruin
- (of the face) made black especially as with suffused blood
- extremely dark
- harshly ironic or sinister
- (of intelligence operations) deliberately misleading
- example: black propaganda
- similar: covert
- distributed or sold illicitly
- (used of conduct or character) deserving or bringing disgrace or shame
- (of coffee) without cream or sugar
- similar: undiluted
- soiled with dirt or soot
Alternative definition of the adjective black
- [context: of an object] absorbing all light and reflecting none; dark and colourless.
- [context: of a place, etc] without light.
- [context: sometimes capitalize] Relating to persons of (usually noticeable) negroid African descent or their culture. Also people of Aborigine or Maori descent.
- Bad; evil; ill-omened.
- Illegitimate, illegal or disgraced.
- [context: Ireland, informal] Overcrowded.
- [context: of coffee or tea] Without any cream, milk, or creamer.
- [context: board games, chess] The standard denomination of the playing pieces of a board game deemed to belong to the "black" set, no matter what the actual colour.
Definition of the noun black
What does black mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- black: blacks
- Black: Blacks
- the quality or state of the achromatic color of least lightness (bearing the least resemblance to white)
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of black: blackness / inkiness
- antonym of black: white
- more generic terms: achromatic color / achromatic colour = a color lacking hue
- more specific terms: pitch black / coal black / soot black / jet black / ebony / sable = a very dark black
- total absence of light
- a person with African ancestry,
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of Black: African-American / Negro / Negroid
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- (board games) the darker pieces
- black clothing (worn as a sign of mourning)
Alternative definition of the noun black
- The colour/color perceived in the absence of light.
- antonym: [colour, dye, pen] white
- A black dye, pigment.
- synonym: blackness
- A pen, pencil, crayon, etc., made of black pigment.
- [context: in plural] Black cloth hung up at funerals.
- [context: sometimes capitalised] A person of African descent, Aborigine or Maori.
- synonym: [usually derogatory] Negro
- [context: billiards, snooker, pool, with the] The black ball.
- [baseball] The edge of home plate
- [British] a type of firecracker that is really more dark brown in colour.
- [informal] blackcurrant syrup (in mixed drinks, e.g. snakebite and black, cider and black).
Definition of the verb black
What does black mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blacked | blacking | blacks
- make or become black
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] Lora buttered the toast [Agent - being] [Verb] [Destination] with [Theme] Lora buttered the toast with unsalted butter
Verbs of Putting (with the same syntax): aromatize, asphalt, bait, blanket, blindfold, board, bread, brick, bridle, bronze, butter, buttonhole, calk, cap, carpet, caulk, chrome, clay, cloak, cork, crown, diaper, dope, drug, feather, fence, flour, forest, frame, fuel, gag, garland, glaze, glove, graffiti, gravel, grease, groove, halter, harness, heel, ink, label, leash, leaven, lipstick, lubricate, mantle, mulch, muzzle, nickel, oil, ornament, paint, panel, paper, parquet, patch, pepper, perfume, plank, plaster, poison, polish, pomade, poster, postmark, powder, putty, robe, roof, rosin, rouge, rut, saddle, salt, salve, sand, seed, sequin, shawl, shingle, shoe, shutter, silver, slate, slipcover, sod, sole, spice, stain, starch, stopper, stress, string, stucco, sugar, sulphur, tag, tar, tarmac, tassel, thatch, ticket, tile, top, turf, varnish, veil, veneer, wallpaper, water, wax, whitewash, wreathe, yoke.
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of black: blacken / melanise / melanize
- more generic words: color / colour / discolor / discolour = change color, often in an undesired manner
- Black a.k.a. Jasmine Black is a pornographic actress.
- read more about Jasmine Black
- Black a.k.a. Catherine Black is a Canadian film, TV and stage actress. Black is best known for starring opposite Peter Weller in one episode of the science fiction Showtime series, Odyssey 5, playing Vanden, opposite Christian Bale, in the 2000 cult thriller American Psycho, directed by Mary Harron, and starring with Crispin Glover in the 2009 period drama, The Donner Party. Black won a Best Actress award at the 2014 Madrid International FIlm Festival for her performance in "De Puta Madre A Love Story", a short film that she also wrote and directed. The short film was also nominated for a Best Story and Best Short Film.
- read more about Catherine Black (actress)
- Black appeared in the 2007 film City of Men.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Black (actor)
Phrases with Black
- Black op
- black art
- black ash
- Black Bag
- black bee
- black box
- Black Cab
- black cat
- Black Cod
- black eye
- black fly
- black fox
- black gum
- Black Hat
- black haw
- black ice
- Black Law
- Black Man
- black oak
- to black
View more phrases with the word Black in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Black
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Graded Lessons in English (1897)
An Elementary English Grammar, Consisting of One Hundred Practical Lessons, Carefully Graded and Adapted to the Class-room by Alonzo Reed, Brainerd Kellogg
Black is an attributive adjective. Black it stood = it ...
Black Music and Musicians in The New Grove Dictionary of American Music and The New Harvard Dictionary of Music (1989)
by Dominique-René De Lerma, Marsha J. Reisser
Black gospel music Boyer, Horace Clarence, cont. Harris, Rebert H. Hawkins, ...
by Molefi Kete Asante, Ama Mazama
N\ V>*v Jv'\s*»' C*vv*<S*,s K\#A Sivcw V\\ vV>V$e Black Studies, Kent State University Mack Studies, Names Controversy Black Studies, Wellesley College CIVIL RIGHTS Congress ol' Racial Equality Congressional Black Caucus National ...
by Xiaobing Li, Michael Molina
Oil A Cultural and Geographic Encyclopedia of Black Gold Volume 2: Countries XIAOBING LIAND MICHAEL MOLINA, EDITORS Copyright © 2014 by ABC-CLIO, LLC All rights reserved. No. Volume 2: Countries.
Smooth, black; the antennae and legs of a dark colour. 2. Native of the north of Europe, to be met with under the bark of trees. It somewhat resembles the bipustulatum. Seven species of this genus are described by Gmelin in the last edition of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Black
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about black
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the adjective black:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun black:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun black and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective black:
Comparison of usage frequency between the adjective black and its most common antonym:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb black:
Photos about Black
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: electricinca
Worrrd of the week.
Photo credit: Hella TJ
Photo credit: Matthew Wilkens
- Black Dahlia
Photo credit: Victory of the People
- Black Friday
Photo credit: Powhusku
- Black Swans, Tasmania
Photo credit: Steven Penton
- Black swan
Photo credit: Noel Reynolds
- Black Bear
Photo credit: Eric Kilby
- Black Mesa
Black Mesa, the tallest point in Oklahoma (actual highest point off image to left).
Photo credit: cm195902
- Black & Withe
Photo credit: Claudio
- Black Naped Oriole
Photo credit: Beegee49
- Black Sawfly
ST983906. Cloatley Meadows Reserve, Malmesbury Wilts.
Photo credit: gailhampshire
- Black Squig
Photo credit: Airwolfhound
- Black 'n white ricepaper butterfly
Photo credit: Rene Mensen
- Black and White
Photo credit: Cristian Carrara
- Black Rhino
Photo credit: Zambog
- Black Live
Photo credit: nabuhunso
- Black Friday
Photo taken in hotel room on desk with hotel lamp and flashlight.
Photo credit: Jim Bauer
- Black swan
Photo credit: Infomastern
- Black Squig
Photo credit: Airwolfhound
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Black
Click on an item to play that video:
- Black Color Meaning
- Black Folks Slang
- Black Country Dialect
An excerpt from 'A History of the Black Country'. DVD available from...
- Rebel MC - Black meaning good (Full album - HQ CD Rip)
Tracklist: 1 Black Meaning Good 2 Keep On Steppin' 3 No Man Is An Island 4 Soul Rebel 5 Word Of A Ghetto 6 Afrikan 7 Culture 8 The Wickedest Sound 9 Live ...
- "Black Clouds (Original Mix)" - Definition - Definitive Recordings
Dimitri Schnider, better known to the music world as Definition, is the label head of Definition:Music. With his partner Def:Play they released a slew of tight ...
- Pearl Jam - Black Meaning
See all the videos at...
- Black Communities and the Police: On the Meaning of Ferguson
Four prominent scholars who study race, inequality and social justice issues will debate the long-term significance of the events that have unfolded in reaction to ...
- Magic Card Trick Deck Arrangements : Explanation of the Red & Black Separation Card Trick
See an explanation of the Red and Black Separation in this free card magic video.
- Innocent Sorcerers - Sweet Slang feat. Coultrain, Black Spade & Perpetual
From: U KNOW WARSOUL EP...
- Carbon black Meaning
Video shows what carbon black means. A fine black powder of amorphous carbon manufactured by the incomplete combustion of natural gas or oil, and used as ...
- Jeopardy Uses Black Slang
- Black Slang Vocabulary
- Black Magic Definition
What is Black magic? a brief description from a Satanic point of view - For YT user LORDSHADOWFEST...
- WordssByClutch - The Definition of Black
WordsByClutch-The Definition of Black.
- Black magic Meaning
Video shows what black magic means. Magic derived from evil forces, as distinct from good or benign forces; or magic performed with the intention of doing ...
- Black Friday Shopping Madness (a full explanation)
Learn about the 'demon' of self that is the source of Black Friday Shopping Madness. The spiritual zombies are slaves to their base urges and programmed by ...
- Black's Law Dictionary. It's a TRAP!
Having trouble standing on natural rights? Stop using Black's Law Dictionary! Black's is creature of the statutes and code. It's a mouse trap, and you're the mouse ...
- 10,000's of Secrets About Black's Law Dictionary That Black's Doesn't Want You to Know !
- Black's Law Dictionary Lesson 1: Promissory Notes
Do you have student loans or a house mortgage? That means you signed a promissory note in the process. Do you overstand what a promissory note is?
- Black's Law Dictionary 5th Edition
A Black's Law Dictionary is essential in understanding the words being used against us.
- The Red Crayola with Art & Language - Black Snakes
F////norrocccknrolllllredkkkrayolaarrrtandlanguaggge/F////////// The Red Crayola with Art & Language - Black Snakes (1983 Pure Freude) 00:00 - Black Snakes ...
- Discrimination in hiring ESL teachers in Vietnam - black people
This video is all about discrimination in hiring ESL teachers in Vietnam, particularly discrimination towards black people. The written version can be found at ...
- Glove Cities Colonials vs Watertown Red and Black EFL 2015 week 7
Glove Cities Colonials go to Watertown NY to play the Watertown Red and Black. Empire Football League semi-pro football. Glove Cities ONLY HAVE 19 ...
- Black Goat description
- Black's Law Dictionary In An App - from NewsWatch Review
This video originally appeared on NewsWatch Review on the Discovery Channel on July 24, 2015. It showcases the Black's Law Dictionary 10th edition app.
- Alison Frankel interviews Bryan Garner on Black's Law Dictionary, 10th edition
Reuters News Editor Alison Frankel recently sat down with Bryan Garner, editor of Black's Law Dictionary, 10th Edition. In this 30 minute interview, they discuss ...
- Black's Law Dictionary, 9th
"Blacks Law Dictionary, 9th Edition" editor-in-chief Bryan A. Garner discusses the importance of this West law book which has been the standard for the ...
- Black and White in Color Wins Foreign Language Film: 1977 Oscars
Producer Arthur Cohn accepts the Oscar for Foreign Language Film awarded to the Ivory Coast for Black and White in Color at the 49th Academy Awards.
- Black's Dictionary
See also the pronunciation examples of Black!
Click on an item to play that video:
- BLACK AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE
- Sing it in Sign - Baa Baa Black Sheep - British Sign Language (BSL)
Clip from Twinkle Finger's Sing it in Sign DVD. Available from...
- Sing-Song-Sunday: Baa Baa Black Sheep- Baby Sign Language Song by Wundersign
Sing and sign with Wundersign- Baby Sign Language. Learn the nursery rhyme, "Baa Baa Black Sheep" Signs included are: black, sheep, yes, three, one, ...
- BLACK: American Sign Language for BLACK
The American Sign Language sign for BLACK. Follow WeeHands on twitter...
- Rebecca Black - Friday (American Sign Language)
Rebecca Black - Friday.
Quotes about Black
One black cat on the porch.
One black cat on the floor.
One black cat on the fence.
One black cat by the door.
I see two black cats.
Now I see two more.
I count black cats,
One, two, three, four.
more quotes about black...
Scrabble value of B3L1A1C3K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Black to see it in context!