Blank appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Squdgy fez, blank jimp crwth vox! (26 letters)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun blank:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective blank:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun blank
- Definition of the adjective blank
- Definition of the verb blank
- Phrases with Blank
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blank
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blank
- Photos about Blank
- Video language resources about Blank
- Quotes about Blank
- Scrabble value of B3L1A1N1K5
- Share this page
The word blank is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun blank
What does blank mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: blanks
- a blank character used to separate successive words in writing or printing
- a blank gap or missing part
- a piece of material ready to be made into something
- a cartridge containing an explosive charge but no bullet
Alternative definition of the noun blank
- A bullet that doesn't harm; a cartridge inserted into a gun that fires no projectile.
- A void space on a paper.
- A space to be filled in on a form or template.
- [archaic] A kind of base silver money, first coined in England by Henry V., and worth about 8 pence; also, a French coin of the seventeenth century, worth about 4 pence. Nares.
- [engineering] A piece of metal prepared to be made into something by a further operation, as a coin, screw, nuts.
- [context: dominoes] A piece or division of a piece, without spots; as, the double blank"; the six blank." In blank, with an essential portion to be supplied by another; as, to make out a check in blank.
- The space character; the character resulting from pressing the space-bar on a keyboard.
Definition of the adjective blank
What does blank mean as an attribute of a noun?
Blank is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: blanker | blankest
- (of a surface) not written or printed on
- without comprehension
- not charged with a bullet
- example: a blank cartridge
- similar: unloaded
- complete and absolute
Alternative definition of the adjective blank
- Without color; lacking characteristics which give variety.
- Free from writing, printing, or marks; having an empty space to be filled in; as, blank paper; a blank check; a blank ballot.
- Without expression.
Definition of the verb blank
What does blank mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blanked | blanking | blanks
- keep the opposing (baseball) team from winning
Alternative definition of the verb blank
- [transitive] To make void; to erase.
- [transitive, slang] To ignore.
- [transitive] To prevent from scoring, as in a sporting event.
- [intransitive] To become blank.
- "Blank" is a 2009 French drama, written and directed by Cyril de Gasperis. Its original French title is L'absence.
- also known as L'absence
- country: France
- language: French
- producers: Cyril de Gasperis & Jean-Christophe Soulageon
- written by Cyril de Gasperis
- casting by Annette Trumel
- cinematography by Sophie Cadet
- edited by Alexandra Melot
- genre: Drama
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Blank" is a 2011 short film written and directed by Jet Leyco.
- also known as Patlang
- country: Philippines
- languages: Tagalog language, Filipino language
- production design by Jet Leyco
- written by Jet Leyco
- cinematography by Gym Lumbera & Jet Leyco
- edited by Jet Leyco
- music by Jet Leyco
- released on
- "Blank" is a film.
- country: France
- genres: Comedy, Thriller
"Blank" a.k.a. "Blank!" is a science fiction short story by Isaac Asimov. It was commissioned by Larry Shaw, editor of Infinity Science Fiction, as being the least inspirational title on which to base a story. Harlan Ellison and Randall Garrett were also invited to submit stories based on the same title; Garrett wrote one with "Blank?" as the title while Ellison submitted "Blank". All three were published in the magazine in June 1957. Asimov's story is later reprinted in the 1975 collection Buy Jupiter and Other Stories.
- released in (58 years ago)
The Blank is a fictional character that appears in comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character first appears in West Coast Avengers #2 and was created by Roger Stern and Bob Hall.
- "Blank" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Billy Corgan
- "Blank" is a musical album of Former Life.
- released on
- "Blank" is a musical EP of Mindscape.
- "Blank" is a musical album of Dementio13.
- "Blank" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Entertainment for the Braindead
- Blank is a musical group.
- albums: "Overhead", "Artificial Breathing", "Hellbound", "Impact Zone"
- official website: www.mechanoid.it
- Blank is a musical group, webpage.
- album: "Heronomous"
- Blank a.k.a. Blänk is a musical group.
- album: "Do This Thing"
There are other groups with in their name, like Duo Blank, Blank Blue, Blank Dogs, Cold Blank, About Blank, about:blank, Gerda Blank, point-blank, Blank Canvas, Blank Cinema, Target:Blank, A Blank Verse, The Blank Fight, The Blank Tapes, Blank Generation, Five Blank Pages and The Blank Theory.
Blank was a British Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. He only won one race, but became a very successful sire and was British Champion sire in 1762, 1764 and 1770.
Blank: A blank solution is a solution containing little to no analyte of interest, usually used to calibrate instruments such as a colorimeter. According to the EPA, the "primary purpose of blanks is to trace sources of artificially introduced contamination." Different types of blanks are used to identify the source of contamination in the sample. The types of blanks include equipment blank, field blank, trip blank, method blank, and instrument blank.
Phrases with Blank
Phrases starting with the word Blank:
- Blank End
- blank out
- blank check
- blank shell
- blank space
- Blank Stare
- blank verse
- Blank Canvas
- blank cheque
- Blank Currant
- blank endorsement
Phrases ending with the word Blank:
- coin blank
- Lens Blank
- Point Blank
- draw a blank
- Proxy in Blank
- to draw a blank
- Fill In the Blank
Other phrase containing the word Blank:
View more phrases with the word Blank in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blank
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
BLANK, adj. [blanc, Fr. derived by Menage from Albianus, thus: Albianus, albianicus, bianicus, biancus, bianco, blanicus, blancus, blanc ; by others, from blanc, which, in Danish, signifies shining; in conformity to which, the Germans have ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
BLANK. BLANK. BLANKENBURG. N-Vl e Dacne uu in-u- ...
by Robert Sullivan
BLANKET, blanehet, F. From b/anc, blanche, white ; because, says Menage, " etoit originairement d'ctotfe blanche." Hence, BLANK, at a. Lottery, because when the ticket is opened, there is- nothing found but blank or white paper inside.
Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents for Pleading and Practice, at Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts (1900)
by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, Thomas Edward O'Brien, James Cockcroft
Watson would prefer the said Scranton & Watson Lumber Company, by completing and filling out said mortgage blank, by writing therein the amount to be paid to said Scranton &" Watson Lumber Company to discharge the obligation of the ...
by Jack Cazes
be distinguished with reasonable confidence from a field blank. b Detection CL = concentration equivalent to the smallest measure limit (CL) that can be detected with ...
by Hensleigh Wedgwood (M.A.)
Blank. — Blanch. Fr. blanc, white ; blanchir, to blanch, to make or become white ; blanc, blanque, a blank ticket, a white or unwritten ticket, a ticket that does not obtain the prize. Hence applied to an occasion on which the result hoped for has ...
by Encyclopaedia Perthensis
BLANK, adj. [blanc, Fr. derived by Menage from Albianus, thus : Albianus, albianiem, Harriot], bianco, blanicus, blancus, blunc ; by others, from blanc, which , in Danish, signifies shining ; in conformity to which, the Germans have blander, ...
by Cyril M. Harris
blank arcade Same as blind arcade. blank door 1. A recess in a wall, having the appearance of a door; usually used for symmetry of design. 2. A door which has been sealed off but is still visible. blank ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis, Or, Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, Etc. : Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
BLANK. adj. [blanc, Fr. derived by Memage from Allianus, thus: Albianus, albinicus, *ianicus, bianco, blamicus, blancus, blanc: by others, from blanc, which , in Danish, signifies/oining; in conformity to which, the Germans have blancker, to /oine ...
by Chris Baldick
blank verse Unrhymed lines of iambic *pentameter, as in these final lines of Tennyson's 'Ulysses' (1842): One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blank
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blank
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: koalazymonkey
Photo credit: Stephanie Overton
Photo credit: ReubenInStt
WEAPON: Olympus 35-SP, Zuiko 42mm 1.7
AMMO: Kodak Ultra Max 400
Photo credit: El Ronzo
Photo credit: Crystl
Photo credit: bert_m_b
Photo credit: pasa47
Photo credit: achimh
Photo credit: phunkstarr
Norton Simon Museum, Pasadena, CA
Photo credit: Zabowski
This was Weis Markets, a grocery store across the street from Walmart. No more signs.
Photo credit: Seth W.
This cover just has a simple, and well-worn, star pattern. On East 61st between 3rd and 2nd Ave.
Photo credit: kschlot1
- [160/366] Blank
Photo credit: dbbent
- Blank jigsaw puzzle
Photo credit: HowardLake
- Blank Moleskine Pages
Use it how you will.
Photo credit: Sembazuru
- American Themeless Blank
Stock image of a blank crossword grid for an American themeless crossword puzzle. Created with Sympathy Crossword Construction.
Photo credit: CrosswordMan
- Judy Blank
Photo credit: ericderedelijkheid
- Burton Bullet (blank)
Photo credit: drukelly
Photo credit: koalazymonkey
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Blank
Click on an item to play that video:
- Blank Meaning
Video shows what blank means. White or pale; without colour.. Free from writing, printing, or marks; having an empty space to be filled in; as, blank paper; ...
- SAT Reading Tips Tricks, and Strategies for One Blank Definition Sentence Completion Questions
- Blank PRESSURE fan tutorial! //Detailed explanation// +normal Pressure Fan tut
You do not have to learn to fan with your other hand for this one, how amazing is that? This is an awesome move that combines Cardistry and magic and can be ...
- Blank end Meaning
Video shows what blank end means. An end in which no stones are touching the house, and thus no points are scored.. Blank end Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Nemo's structure and meaning findings chart blank
- 05 meaning of the beauty of blank
- Blank Project Application Explanation for Environmental Service Committee (Thorough)
- Blank 9b Partner Definition
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = blank ballot paper
- Montessori Language Exercise (Chalk Boards Blank)
- .blank description. poem2
- Blank - Collocations - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Fix Google Chrome Redirection to dictionary.html or blank.html
- Movies - Film & Animation Blank Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Blank!
Quotes about Blank
OUR share of night to bear,
Our share of morning,
Our blank in bliss to fill,
Our blank in scorning.
Here a star, and there a star,
Some lose their way.
Here a mist, and there a mist,
Afterwards—day! (Emily Dickinson)
more quotes about blank...
Scrabble value of B3L1A1N1K5
The value of this 5-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blank to see it in context!