The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb blob:
Definition of Blob
What does Blob mean?
- an indistinct shapeless form
- more generic term: amorphous shape = an ill-defined or arbitrary shape
verb (blobbed, blobbing)
- make a spot or mark onto
- synonyms of blob: blot / fleck / spot
- more generic term: change surface = undergo or cause to undergo a change in the surface
- more specific words:
- A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or collection that lacks definite shape.
- In astronomy, a large cloud of gas. In particular, an 'extended Lyman-Alpha blob' is a huge body of gas that may be the precursor to a galaxy.
- [dialect] A bubble, a bleb.
Phrases with Blob
- Blob Out
- may blob
- The Blob is a Marvel Comics supervillain, an adversary of the X-Men. Created by writer Stan Lee and artist/co-writer Jack Kirby, he first appeared in X-Men #3.
- Blob a.k.a. Barbara Leonard is a fictional character from the book Lockie Leonard, Human Torpedo, appearing...
"Blob" is a platform-puzzle game, developed by Jonnathan Hilliard and published by Core Design for the Commodore Amiga personal computer. The game was released in the United Kingdom on September 1, 1993.
- publisher: Core Design
BLOB is a musical group.
- also known as the great BLOB in the sky
- album: "Fate"
- Blob a.k.a. Binary large object: A blob is a collection of binary data stored as a single entity in a database management system. Blobs are typically images, audio or other multimedia objects, though sometimes binary executable code is stored as a blob. Database support for blobs is not universal.
- Blob: Blobs are sections of the visual cortex where groups of neurons that are sensitive to color assemble in cylindrical shapes. They were first identified in 1979 by Margaret Wong-Riley when she used a cytochrome oxidase stain, from which they get their name. These areas receive input from parvocellular cells in layer 4Cβ of the primary visual cortex and output to the thin stripes of area V2. Interblobs are areas between blobs which receive the same input, but are sensitive to orientation instead of color. They output to the pale stripes of area V2.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blob
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots (2011)
by Roland Siegwart, Illah Reza Nourbakhsh, Davide Scaramuzza
Blob detectors A blob is an image pattern that differs from its immediate neighborhood in terms of intensity, color, and...
Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours (2008)
by Ryan Stephens, Ron Plew, Arie D. Jones
The BLOB is a binary large object and so its data is treated as a large binary string (a byte string). A BLOB is especially useful in an implementation that needs to store binary media files in the database, such as images or MP3s. The TEXT data ...
Next Generation Artificial Vision Systems (2008)
Reverse Engineering the Human Visual System by Maria Petrou
A blob is a connected region corresponding to the area of motion in the current frame. A blob may represent a whole moving object, part of an object if only part of an object is moving, or several overlapping objects, in the case of groups of ...
Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science (2008)
by Karen Kemp
The term BLOB is used in the computer world to describe a data entity that is not of a standard primitive data type (e.g.,
In geographic information systems, BLOB database fields are often used to store important data, such as coordinates , ...
Encyclopaedia of textiles: Textile automation
by P. V. Vidyasagar
Especially in the case of blobs, one may calculate the number of pixels of the blob (corresponding with the 0th moment or area); the center coordinates (first moments); the circumference; and the orientation; the latter being derived from the ...
Encyclopedia of Computer Science and Technology (2002)
Volume 45 - Supplement 30 by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
"Blob metamorphosis based on Minkowski sums. EUROGRAPH1CS '96." Computer Graphics Forum.
The Anglo-American Encyclopedia and Dictionary: Dictionary department (A-Z) (1904)
blob, blab, s. [Bled.] (Chiefly Scotch.) 1. Anything tumid. Spec. — (1) A small globe or bubble of any kind, as a soap bubble. Gif thay be handillit, they melt away like ane blob of — "—Bellend.: Descr. Alb., oh. 1L (2) Spec. : A thick piece of ...
The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Science Fiction and Fantasy (2005)
Themes, Works, and Wonders by Gary Westfahl
Ellison also commissioned artist Gahan Wilson to write a unique 1972 story about a mysterious blob that grows and...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blob
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Blob
View more pictures about The Blob.
Video about Blob
Marvel Legends "Blob Series" - Video Description
View more videos about The Blob.
See also the pronunciation examples of Blob!
Scrabble value of B3L1O1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Blob to find many related words and phrases!