The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb blob:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun blob
What does blob mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: blobs
- an indistinct shapeless form
Alternative definition of the noun blob
- A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or collection that lacks definite shape.
- In astronomy, a large cloud of gas. In particular, an 'extended Lyman-Alpha blob' is a huge body of gas that may be the precursor to a galaxy.
- [dialect] A bubble, a bleb.
Specialised definition of the noun blob
Glossary of sports / cricket
a score of naught; so called because it is round (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
Definition of the verb blob
What does blob mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blobbed, blobbing
- make a spot or mark onto
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of blob: blot / fleck / spot
- more generic term: change surface = undergo or cause to undergo a change in the surface
- more specific words:
Phrases with Blob
The Blob is a Marvel Comics supervillain, an adversary of the X-Men. Created by writer Stan Lee and artist/co-writer Jack Kirby, he first appeared in X-Men #3.
- also known as Fred Dukes, Frederick Dukes, Frederick J. Dukes, The Blob
- born in Lubbock
- created by Stan Lee & Jack Kirby
- fictional universe: Marvel Universe
- in the film "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", played by Kevin Durand
"Blob" is a platform-puzzle game, developed by Jonnathan Hilliard and published by Core Design for the Commodore Amiga personal computer. The game was released in the United Kingdom on September 1, 1993.
- publisher: Core Design
- released on (21 years ago)
BLOB is a musical group.
- also known as the great BLOB in the sky
- album: "Fate"
- Blob a.k.a. Binary large object: A blob is a collection of binary data stored as a single entity in a database management system. Blobs are typically images, audio or other multimedia objects, though sometimes binary executable code is stored as a blob. Database support for blobs is not universal.
- Blob: Blobs are sections of the visual cortex where groups of neurons that are sensitive to color assemble in cylindrical shapes. They were first identified in 1979 by Margaret Wong-Riley when she used a cytochrome oxidase stain, from which they get their name. These areas receive input from parvocellular cells in layer 4Cβ of the primary visual cortex and output to the thin stripes of area V2. Interblobs are areas between blobs which receive the same input, but are sensitive to orientation instead of color. They output to the pale stripes of area V2.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blob
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Roland Siegwart, Illah Reza Nourbakhsh, Davide Scaramuzza
Blob detectors A blob is an image pattern that differs from its immediate neighborhood in terms of intensity, color, and...
10th International Conference on Practical Applications of Agents and Multi-Agent Systems by Javier Bajo Pérez, Juan M. Corchado Rodríguez, Emmanuel Adam, Alfonso Ortega, María N. Moreno, Elena Navarro, Benjamin Hirsch, Henrique Lopes-Cardoso, Vicente Julián, Miguel A. Sánchez, Philippe Mathieu
Specifically, the addition of a specific component for the detection of blobs from infrared images (see Fig. 4) is illustrated. According to the definition accepted by the image processing community, a blob is a set of connected pixels of an image.
by Professor Jeffrey Weinstock
The Blob has no personality—no human traits whatsoever; “it is merely a mass of unexplained protoplasm driven to ingest living creatures, and does so in a very simple fashion: it merely absorbs them into its own body” (Warren 119).
by Karen Kemp
The term BLOB is used in the computer world to describe a data entity that is not of a standard primitive data type (e.g.,
In geographic information systems, BLOB database fields are often used to store important data, such as coordinates , ...
by P. V. Vidyasagar
Especially in the case of blobs, one may calculate the number of pixels of the blob (corresponding with the 0th moment or area); the center coordinates (first moments); the circumference; and the orientation; the latter being derived from the ...
Volume 21 - Supplement 6: ADA and Distributed Systems to Visual Languages by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
BEGIN MOVE BARM TO P * BLOB + 0.2 * ZHAT VIA P * BLOB + 3 * ZHAT WHERE VELOCITY = NILVEC; CENTER BARM; MOVE BARM TO SET-DOWN WITH DEPARTURE = VECTOR ( 0, -4, ...
by Terry Victor, Tom Dalzell
2a dead sheep or cow NEW ZEALAND, 2000 blob noun 1 in cricket,a batsman's innings scoreofno ...
Containing Words from the English Writers Previous to the Nineteenth Century which are No Longer in Use, Or are Not Used in the Same Sense. And Words which are Now Used Only in the Provincial Dialects
Blob, s. (1) A blunt termination to what is usually pointed.
The New Hacker's Dictionary (1996)
by Eric S. Raymond
BLOB o- block transfer computations This is a blivet any random object of unknown purpose (similar to hackish use of frob). It has also been used to describe an amusing trick-the-eye drawing resembling a three-pronged fork that appears ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blob
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blob
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Blob.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Blob
One blob of red in the wrong place and the audience isn't looking at the hero, they're looking at a patch of curtain (or something similar) and your whole effect is lost. (Terence Fisher)
more quotes about blob...
Scrabble value of B3L1O1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BLOB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Blob!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blob to see it in context!