Blob appears in the following tongue twister:
- Give me the gift of a grip-top sock,
A clip drape shipshape tip top sock.
Not your spinslick slapstick slipshod stock,
But a plastic, elastic grip-top sock.
None of your fantastic slack swap slop
From a slap dash flash cash haberdash shop.
Not a knick knack knitlock knockneed knickerbocker sock
With a mock-shot blob-mottled trick-ticker top clock.
Not a supersheet seersucker rucksack sock,
Not a spot-speckled frog-freckled cheap sheik's sock
Off a hodge-podge moss-blotched scotch-botched block.
Nothing slipshod drip drop flip flop or glip glop
Tip me to a tip top grip top sock.
(articulation warmup for actors)
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb blob:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun blob
What does blob mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: blobs
- an indistinct shapeless form
Alternative definition of the noun blob
- A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or collection that lacks definite shape.
- In astronomy, a large cloud of gas. In particular, an 'extended Lyman-Alpha blob' is a huge body of gas that may be the precursor to a galaxy.
- [dialect] A bubble, a bleb.
Specialised definition of the noun blob
Glossary of sports / cricket
a score of naught; so called because it is round (2005. Chambers Sports Factfinder. Chambers Harrap Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
Definition of the verb blob
What does blob mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blobbed, blobbing
- make a spot or mark onto
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of blob: blot / fleck / spot
- more generic term: change surface = undergo or cause to undergo a change in the surface
- more specific words:
- The Blob is a Marvel Comics supervillain, an adversary of the X-Men. A mutant originally depicted as an obese circus freak, the Blob claims to be immovable. He possesses an extreme amount of pliable body mass, which grants him superhuman strength and his own gravitational pull. Possessing the mindset of a bully, he mostly uses his powers for petty crime and as a member of the Brotherhood of Mutants and Freedom Force.
- Blob a.k.a. Barbara Leonard is a fictional character from the book Lockie Leonard, Human Torpedo, appearing in the TV Series Lockie Leonard.
- read more about Barbara Leonard
"Blob" is a platform-puzzle game, developed by Jonnathan Hilliard and published by Core Design for the Commodore Amiga personal computer. The game was released in the United Kingdom on September 1, 1993.
- publisher: Core Design
- released on (21 years ago)
BLOB is a musical group.
- also known as the great BLOB in the sky
- album: "Fate"
- Blob a.k.a. Binary large object: A blob is a collection of binary data stored as a single entity in a database management system. Blobs are typically images, audio or other multimedia objects, though sometimes binary executable code is stored as a blob. Database support for blobs is not universal.
- read more about Binary large object
- Blob: Blobs are sections of the visual cortex where groups of neurons that are sensitive to color assemble in cylindrical shapes. They were first identified in 1979 by Margaret Wong-Riley when she used a cytochrome oxidase stain, from which they get their name. These areas receive input from parvocellular cells in layer 4Cβ of the primary visual cortex and output to the thin stripes of area V2. Interblobs are areas between blobs which receive the same input, but are sensitive to orientation instead of color. They output to the pale stripes of area V2.
Phrases with Blob
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blob
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by G. Cristescu, Liana Lupșa
A blob is any bounded figure. A map is the union...
A cellular blob is a bounded, cored cellular map. A cellular map J is...
African Fly-fishing Handbook (2004)
by Bill Hansford-Steele
The Blob is a lure fly that comes in a range of colours, represents nothing at all, but that generates raging aggression in uneducated fish. It is usually fished on the dropper with another aggression-generating fly, such as a Cat's Whisker, on the ...
by Ryan Stephens, Ron Plew, Arie D. Jones
The BLOB is a binary large object and so its data is treated as a large binary string (a byte string). A BLOB is especially useful in an implementation that needs to store binary media files in the database, such as images or MP3s. The TEXT data ...
Networking Bible (2009)
by Barrie Sosinsky
BLOB is a container object field and can contain word processor documents, picture files, PDF files, or whatever you attach to the message. As defined by RFCs 822 and 2822, e-mail messages are plain 7-bit ASCII text. Any language that uses ...
GCCV 2013, GPID 2013, PAESNPR 2013, and QACIVA 2013, Guanajuato, Mexico, October 28-29, 2013, Revised Selected Papers by Fay Huang, Akihiro Sugimoto
A cellular blob is convex iff there exists at least one convex set S ⊆ R2 of which the given cellular blob is an image. The question arises how can we find such a set 62 G. Klette 3 Digital Convexity 3.1 Convexity of Digital Regions.
Reverse Engineering the Human Visual System by Maria Petrou
A blob is a connected region corresponding to the area of motion in the current frame. A blob may represent a whole moving object, part of an object if only part of an object is moving, or several overlapping objects, in the case of groups of ...
Columbian cyclopedia (1897)
— Old Sevres Blob is a cobalt blue used iu pottery, and is ...
Vt blob is the better offer, ...
by Professor Jeffrey Weinstock
The Blob has no personality—no human traits whatsoever; “it is merely a mass of unexplained protoplasm driven to ingest living creatures, and does so in a very simple fashion: it merely absorbs them into its own body” (Warren 119).
by Karen Kemp
The term BLOB is used in the computer world to describe a data entity that is not of a standard primitive data type (e.g.,
In geographic information systems, BLOB database fields are often used to store important data, such as coordinates , ...
by P. V. Vidyasagar
Especially in the case of blobs, one may calculate the number of pixels of the blob (corresponding with the 0th moment or area); the center coordinates (first moments); the circumference; and the orientation; the latter being derived from the ...
Volume 21 - Supplement 6: ADA and Distributed Systems to Visual Languages by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
BEGIN MOVE BARM TO P * BLOB + 0.2 * ZHAT VIA P * BLOB + 3 * ZHAT WHERE VELOCITY = NILVEC; CENTER BARM; MOVE BARM TO SET-DOWN WITH DEPARTURE = VECTOR ( 0, -4, ...
by Various Various
Node:BLOB, Next:block, Previous: bloatware, Up:= B = BLOB 1. n. [acronym: Binary Large OBject] Used by database people ...
The New Hacker's Dictionary (1996)
by Eric S. Raymond
BLOB o- block transfer computations This is a blivet any random object of unknown purpose (similar to hackish use of frob). It has also been used to describe an amusing trick-the-eye drawing resembling a three-pronged fork that appears ...
blob, blab, s. [Bled.] (Chiefly Scotch.) 1. Anything tumid. Spec. — (1) A small globe or bubble of any kind, as a soap bubble. Gif thay be handillit, they melt away like ane blob of — "—Bellend.: Descr. Alb., oh. 1L (2) Spec. : A thick piece of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blob
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blob
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Blob.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Blob
Click on an item to play that video:
- Blob Meaning
Video shows what blob means. A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or ...
- A Boy and his Blob [NES] Exploration & Explanation
Why jellybeans? Anyways, here is a helpful guide for anyone wishing to play this classic NES game.
- The Adventures of the Blob and the Kid Explanation Large
View more videos about Blob Out.
See also the pronunciation examples of Blob!
Quotes about Blob
One blob of red in the wrong place and the audience isn't looking at the hero, they're looking at a patch of curtain (or something similar) and your whole effect is lost. (Terence Fisher)
more quotes about blob...
Scrabble value of B3L1O1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BLOB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Blob!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blob to see it in context!