The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb blob:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun blob
What does blob mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: blobs
- an indistinct shapeless form
Alternative definition of the noun blob
- A shapeless or amorphous mass; a vague shape or amount, especially of a liquid or semisolid substance; a clump, group or collection that lacks definite shape.
- In astronomy, a large cloud of gas. In particular, an 'extended Lyman-Alpha blob' is a huge body of gas that may be the precursor to a galaxy.
- [dialect] A bubble, a bleb.
Definition of the verb blob
What does blob mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blobbed | blobbing | blobs
- make a spot or mark onto
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonyms of blob: blot / fleck / spot
- more generic term: change surface = undergo or cause to undergo a change in the surface
- more specific words:
Phrases with Blob
The Blob is a Marvel Comics supervillain, an adversary of the X-Men. Created by writer Stan Lee and artist/co-writer Jack Kirby, he first appeared in X-Men #3.
- also known as Fred Dukes, Frederick Dukes, Frederick J. Dukes, The Blob
- born in Lubbock
- created by Jack Kirby & Stan Lee
- fictional universe: Marvel Universe
- in the film "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", played by Kevin Durand
"Blob" is a platform-puzzle game, developed by Jonnathan Hilliard and published by Core Design for the Commodore Amiga personal computer. The game was released in the United Kingdom on September 1, 1993.
- publisher: Core Design
- released on (21 years ago)
BLOB is a musical group.
- also known as the great BLOB in the sky
- album: "Fate"
- Blob a.k.a. Binary large object: A blob is a collection of binary data stored as a single entity in a database management system. Blobs are typically images, audio or other multimedia objects, though sometimes binary executable code is stored as a blob. Database support for blobs is not universal.
- Blob: Blobs are sections of the visual cortex where groups of neurons that are sensitive to color assemble in cylindrical shapes. They were first identified in 1979 by Margaret Wong-Riley when she used a cytochrome oxidase stain, from which they get their name. These areas receive input from parvocellular cells in layer 4Cβ of the primary visual cortex and output to the thin stripes of area V2. Interblobs are areas between blobs which receive the same input, but are sensitive to orientation instead of color. They output to the pale stripes of area V2.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blob
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Roland Siegwart, Illah Reza Nourbakhsh, Davide Scaramuzza
Blob detectors A blob is an image pattern that differs from its immediate neighborhood in terms of intensity, color, and...
by Ryan Stephens, Ron Plew, Arie D. Jones
The BLOB is a binary large object and so its data is treated as a large binary string (a byte string). A BLOB is especially useful in an implementation that needs to store binary media files in the database, such as images or MP3s. The TEXT data ...
by Karen Kemp
The term BLOB is used in the computer world to describe a data entity that is not of a standard primitive data type (e.g.,
In geographic information systems, BLOB database fields are often used to store important data, such as coordinates , ...
by P. V. Vidyasagar
Especially in the case of blobs, one may calculate the number of pixels of the blob (corresponding with the 0th moment or area); the center coordinates (first moments); the circumference; and the orientation; the latter being derived from the ...
Volume 45 - Supplement 30 by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
"Blob metamorphosis based on Minkowski sums. EUROGRAPH1CS '96." Computer Graphics Forum.
blob, blab, s. [Bled.] (Chiefly Scotch.) 1. Anything tumid. Spec. — (1) A small globe or bubble of any kind, as a soap bubble. Gif thay be handillit, they melt away like ane blob of — "—Bellend.: Descr. Alb., oh. 1L (2) Spec. : A thick piece of ...
Themes, Works, and Wonders by Gary Westfahl
Ellison also commissioned artist Gahan Wilson to write a unique 1972 story about a mysterious blob that grows and...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blob
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blob
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: DJ-Dwayne [Returning in 2014/15]
- Blob fish
They're back and they're blobby
Photo credit: s i b e r
- RaDish Blob
Photo credit: HerrVorragend / Christian
- De Blob Eindhoven
Photo credit: Lennart Tange
- At Blob's Park, between pitchers
Photo credit: sidewalk flying
- Late night blob party
Staff blob part, YouthFront Camp South.
Photo credit: maureen lunn
View more pictures about The Blob.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Blob
One blob of red in the wrong place and the audience isn't looking at the hero, they're looking at a patch of curtain (or something similar) and your whole effect is lost. (Terence Fisher)
more quotes about blob...
Scrabble value of B3L1O1B3
The value of this 4-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BLOB
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Blob!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blob to see it in context!