Blood appears in many tongue twisters:
- Red blood, green blood
- Bad dead bed-bugs bleed bug blood.
(by Mimi Routh)
- The big black bug's blood ran blue.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun blood:
The word blood is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
Definition of the noun blood
What does blood mean as a name of something?
Blood is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: bloods
- the fluid (red in vertebrates) that is pumped through the body by the heart and contains plasma, blood cells, and platelets
- examples: blood carries oxygen and nutrients to the tissues and carries away waste products | the ancients believed that blood was the seat of the emotions
- domain: craniate / vertebrate
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- more generic terms: bodily fluid / body fluid / humor / humour / liquid body substance = the liquid parts of the body
- more specific terms:
- arterial blood = blood found in arteries
- blood group / blood type = human blood cells (usually just the red blood cells) that have the same antigens
- gore = coagulated blood from a wound
- lifeblood = the blood considered as the seat of vitality
- blood stream / bloodstream = the blood flowing through the circulatory system
- blood clot / grume = a semisolid mass of coagulated red and white blood cells
- cord blood = blood obtained from the umbilical cord at birth
- menstrual blood / menstrual flow / menorrhea = flow of blood from the uterus
- venous blood = blood found in the veins
- whole blood = blood that has not been modified except for the addition of an anticoagulant
- part: blood corpuscle / blood cell / corpuscle = either of two types of cells (erythrocytes and leukocytes) and sometimes including platelets
- substance: blood serum / serum = an amber, watery fluid, rich in proteins, that separates out when blood coagulates
- temperament or disposition
- a dissolute man in fashionable society
- the descendants of one individual
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of blood: ancestry / blood line / bloodline / descent / line / line of descent / lineage / origin / parentage / pedigree / stemma / stock
- more generic terms: family tree / genealogy = successive generations of kin
- more specific terms:
- people viewed as members of a group
Alternative definition of the noun blood
- A vital liquid flowing in the bodies of many types of animals that usually conveys nutrients and oxygen. In vertebrates, it is colored red by hemoglobin, is conveyed by arteries and veins, is pumped by the heart and is usually generated in bone marrow.
- A family relationship due to birth, such as that between siblings; contrasted with relationships due to marriage or adoption. (See blood relative, blood relation, by blood.)
- [context: medicine, countable] A blood test or blood sample.
- The sap or juice which flows in or from plants.
- A member of the LA gang The Bloods.
- antonym: Crip
Specialised definition of the noun blood
Glossary of sports
red liquid in the heart and blood vessels of all highly developed beings. The human body contains approx. 4-6 1 of blood which has to fulfill the following tasks: transport oxygen from the lungs to the various tissues and remove carbon dioxide from the tissues, transport nutrients and active substances present within the body (enzymes, hormones, vitamins), distribute the warmth produced in metabolism, quickly close injured blood vessels with the components dissolved in the blood (blood plates and coagulation factors). In a healthy human being bleeding stops take place after about 1 to 3 min. Furthermore, blood has the ability to destroy germs that have entered the body, i.e. it has a defensive function. White blood cells (leukocytes) are responsible for preventing infections, and red blood cells (erythrocytes) for the transport of oxygen. Blood also contains water as well as positively and negatively charged particles for maintaining the membrane potential and specific characteristics of blood group determination (blood group antigens). (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Definition of the verb blood
What does blood mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blooded | blooding | bloods
- smear with blood, as in a hunting initiation rite, where the face of a person is smeared with the blood of the kill
Blood is a bodily fluid in animals that delivers necessary substances such as nutrients and oxygen to the cells and transports metabolic waste products away from those same cells. When it reaches the lungs, gas exchange occurs when carbon dioxide is diffused out of the blood into the alveoli and oxygen is diffused into the blood. This oxygenated blood is pumped to the left hand side of the heart in the pulmonary vein and enters the left atrium. From here it passes through the bicuspid valve, through the ventricle and taken all around the body by the aorta. Blood contains antibodies, nutrients, oxygen and much more to help the body work.
There are other foods with Blood in their name, like Blood sausage.
- Blood a.k.a. Blood+, pronounced as "Blood Plus", is an anime series produced by Production I.G and Aniplex and directed by Junichi Fujisaku. The series premiered in Japan on Sony's anime satellite channel, Animax, as well as on terrestrial networks such as MBS, TBS, and RKB on October 8, 2005. The final episode aired on September 23, 2006. Blood+ is licensed for international distribution in several regions through Sony Pictures' international arm, Sony Pictures Television International.
- "Blood" is a 2012 thriller film written by Bill Gallagher and directed by Nick Murphy.
- also known as Conviction
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producers: Pippa Harris, Nick Laws, Nicola Shindler
- executive producers: Stuart Ford & Jan Pace
- production design by Cristina Casali
- art direction by Pawlo Wintoniuk
- written by Bill Gallagher
- Paul Bettany as Joe Fairburn
- Mark Strong as Robert Seymour
- Brian Cox as Lenny Fairburn
- Zoe Tapper as Jemma Venn
- Stephen Graham as Chrissie Fairburn
- Ben Crompton as Jason Buleigh
- Ade Edmondson as Tom Tiernan
- Natasha Little as Lily Fairburn
- Patrick Hurd-Wood as Dominic
- Stuart McQuarrie as David Saddler
- Sandra Voe as Sandra Buleigh
- Jasper Britton as Daniel Telphen
- Elizabeth Lowe as Judy Drinkle
- Naomi Battrick as Miriam Fairburn
- casting by Nina Gold
- cinematography by George Richmond
- edited by Victoria Boydell
- music by Daniel Pemberton
- costume design by Michele Clapton
- set decoration by Anita Gupta
- genre: Thriller
- released on
- "Blood": Sangre is a 2005 Mexican drama film directed by Amat Escalante. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival.
- also known as Sangre
- countries: France, Mexico
- language: Spanish Language
- producers: Amat Escalante, Jaime Romandía, Carlos Reygadas
- art direction by Daniela Schneider
- written by Amat Escalante
- cinematography by Alejandro Fenton
- edited by Amat Escalante
- genre: Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- "Blood" is a 2009 Japanese supernatural action film directed by Ten Shimoyama.
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- genres: World cinema, Horror, Thriller, Crime Thriller, Supernatural, Japanese Movies
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Blood" is a 2000 horror film, starring Adrian Rawlins. Its director and writer, Charly Cantor, won a Jury Award for the film in 2000.
- "Blood" is a 2013 documentary drama film written by Sergei Vinokurov and directed by Alina Rudnitskaya.
- country: Russia
- language: Russian Language
- producer: Alina Rudnitskaya
- executive producer: Alina Rudnitskaya
- written by Sergei Vinokurov
- cinematography by Aleksandr Demanenko, Alexander Filippov, Yura Gautsel & Sergei Maksimov
- edited by Alina Rudnitskaya & Sergei Vinokurov
- music by Ólafur Arnalds, Alexander Zaripov
- genres: Documentary film, Drama
- released in
- award: - Nika Award for Best Documentary nomination for Alina Rudnitskaya
- official website: deckert-distribution.com/film-catalogue/blood
- "Blood" is a 2008 Bengali film directed by Anasuya Samanta. The film featured Debesh Raychowdhury, Anasuya Samanta, Manojit, Sutanuka, Mita Chatterjee, Sameer Mukherjee, Manjula Polle and Bhaswar Chatterjee.
- country: India
- language: Bengali Language
- producer: Anasuya Samanta
- written by Anasuya Samanta
- cinematography by Sandip Sen
- edited by Kshitij Rajkumar
- music by Ashok Bhadra
- genres: Thriller, Bengali Cinema, World cinema
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Blood" is a short film, directed by Jim Trainor.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Blood" is an award-nominated film, written by Jerry Ciccoritti.
- "Blood" is the fourth studio album by the American band In This Moment. The album was released by Century Media on August 14, 2012. As has been the case with every In This Moment album, the record has a different sound, dropping many of the traditional metalcore elements in favor of electronic samples and further experimentation.
- also known as Blood (Re-Issue + Bonus)
- genre: Industrial metal
- released on
- "Blood" is an album released in 1991 by Ivo Watts-Russell's supergroup, This Mortal Coil. The double album was the final LP in the project's history, although Ivo used two TMC performers on his next project, The Hope Blister, in 1998. "You and Your Sister" was a #13 hit in The Netherlands and spent seven weeks in the Dutch Top 40.
- "Blood" is the third studio album by American progressive rock band OSI, released by InsideOut Music on April 27, 2009 in Europe and May 19, 2009 in North America.
- "Blood" is a musical album of Project Pitchfork.
- released on
- "Blood" is an EP by the Polish death metal band Vader. It was released on September 22, 2003 in Europe via Metal Blade, and day after in Poland by Metal Mind. Japanese edition was released on October 22, 2003 by Avalon Marquee.
- genre: Death metal
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Blood" a.k.a. "Blood: Franz Ferdinand": Blood is a compilation album of dub music versions of songs from Tonight: Franz Ferdinand, the third studio album from Scottish band Franz Ferdinand. It was released in June 2009 through Domino Records. In addition, a limited edition vinyl version of 500 copies were sent to independent record stores in the United States to coincide with Record Store Day.
- read more about Blood: Franz Ferdinand
- "Blood" is a song by British post-punk revival band Editors and is featured on their 2005 debut album, The Back Room. It was released 11 July 2005 as the third single from the album. It was re-released 19 June 2006 also. It was in very limited release with the CD limited to 5000 copies whilst the 10" single was deleted on day of release and was only available through pre-ordering. Over the two formats it contained 2 cover songs and 2 remixes of the album track Camera by Jason Spaceman and Paul Oakenfold.
- "Blood" is a song by American band In This Moment. Released June 12, 2012, it is the first single released from their fourth studio album, Blood.
- music by In This Moment
- "Blood" is a song by Pearl Jam that appears on the band's 1993 album Vs. It is the seventh track on the album.
- "Blood" is a musical album of Stan Ridgway & Pietra Wexstun.
- released in (12 years ago)
- "Blood" is a 2001 album by The Microphones. It was handmade, and limited to 300 original copies. Included on the album were recordings and alternate versions of songs later found on The Glow Pt. 2, in addition to sound collages, field recordings and other miscellany. Also included was a cover of Björk's All Is Full of Love.
- "Blood" is a musical album of Pulled Apart by Horses.
- released on
- "Blood" is a musical single of Editors.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Blood" is the one and only album released by the band RedSea in 1994.
- "Blood" is a composition by the American trash metal band Anthrax.
- "Blood" is a musical album of Fractional.
- released in (5 years ago)
"Blood" is a first-person shooter video game developed by Monolith Productions and published by GT Interactive Software. The full version was released for the PC on May 31, 1997.
- also known as Horror 3D
- mode: Single-player video game, Multiplayer video game
- developer: Monolith Productions
- genres: First-person Shooter, Horror, Western, Zombie Film, Shooter game, Action game, Survival horror
- publisher: GT Interactive Software
- released on (17 years ago)
- Blood a.k.a. Nick Blood is an English actor.
- read more about Nick Blood (actor)
- Blood is a UK soul artist.
- also known as Nicholas Michael Clow, Nick Clow
- read more about Blood (musical artist)
- Blood is a Japanese band that has been active from 2002 to 2009, returning in 2011. Blood's aim is to create music that expresses the meaning of human emotion that breaks the musical frame. They are closely associated with visual kei, but the band refers to themselves as a "gothic band".
- Blood is a Spanish industrial metal band from Alicante, Spain, that was formed in 1999 and still continues today. There have been some remixes of their songs done by other industrial metal artists, including Turmion Kätilöt.
- Blood ist eine Grindcore-Band aus Speyer. Blood sind nach Napalm Death zusammen mit Extreme Noise Terror und Agathocles die älteste noch aktive Grindcore-Band.
- albums: "Mental Conflicts", "Impulse to Destroy", "Gas · Flames · Bones", "Christbait", "Dysangelium", "Depraved Goddess", "O Agios Pethane", "Limited Edition / Party's Over", "Salvation... to the Dead / Antefatto", "Blood / Schwarze Magie"
- official website: www.bloood.de
- Blood is a musical group.
- album: "Bloodless Revolution"
There are other groups with in their name, like Bad Blood, Big Blood, blood-red, Dog Blood, Am I Blood, Blood Axis, Blood Ruby, Evil Blood, Free Blood, Give Blood, Holy Blood, Hulk Blood, Milk:blood, Wolf Blood, Aryan Blood, Black Blood, Blood eagle, Blood Feast, Blood Freak.
Blood is a fictional character from the 1993 film Beyond the Law.
Blood is a peer-reviewed medical journal published by the American Society of Hematology. It was established by William Dameshek in 1946. The journal changed from semimonthly to weekly publication at the start of 2009. It covers clinical and basic research in all areas of hematology, including disorders of leukocytes, both benign and malignant, erythrocytes, platelets, hemostatic mechanisms, vascular biology, immunology, and hematologic oncology.
- official website: www.bloodjournal.hematologylibrary.org
Phrases with Blood
- Blood Ark
- Blood Bin
- blood cup
- Blood Red
- Blood Sub
- Blood Tax
- blood agar
- Blood bank
- Blood Bath
- Blood Cell
- blood clam
- blood clot
- blood cyst
- blood feud
- blood heat
- Blood Iris
- Blood knot
- blood lily
- bad blood
View more phrases with the word Blood in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blood
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Biophysical Mechanisms of Development, Diagnosis and Therapy by George J. Hademenos, Tarik F. Massoud
devoted primarily to blood. Blood is a unique fluid possessing specific components and properties necessary to perform the multitude of life-sustaining tasks, making it extremely difficult to characterize the fluid biophysically and experimentally.
True Blood and Philosophy (2011)
by William Irwin
The actual behavior of human beings aside, inasmuch as the series shows it over and over again to be for the most part morally indistinguishable from vampire behavior, human blood is the common bond that is supposed to elevate living ...
The Spook's Blood (2012)
by Joseph Delaney
The Spook's Blood is the tenth book in Joseph Delaney's terrifying Wardstone Chronicles - over 3 million copies sold worldwide!
halma, blood; chromos, colour.] ...
by M. Gabriel Khan
anticoagulants blood thinners. atheroma same as atherosclerosis, raised plaques filled with cholesterol, ...
by Kock, Ned
Blood. Bank. P. Sasi Kumar National Institute of Technology, India P. Senthil National Institute of Technology, India G. Kannan National Institute of Technology, India A. Noorul Haq National Institute of Technology, India IntroductIon ...
A Dictionary of Biomedicine (2010)
by John Lackie
blood The fluid that circulates throughout the vasculature, transporting oxygen, nutrients, hormones, waste products, and heat. In humans the relative density is about 1.054—1.060, and it has a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blood
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blood
Click on an item to view that photo:
Blood on a gauze resulting from a wisdom tooth removal.
Photo credit: ☺ Lee J Haywood
Photo credit: m.mate
- Blood python
Portrait of Subee, the female blood python of a friend
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Wolf and blood ice cream III
Another one of a wolf with a blood ice cream!
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Fake blood
Fake blood on the sidewalk.
Photo credit: joshme17
- Blood Drop
Cutting your finger can be fine, in some sick way.
Photo credit: RedGlow82
- Blood drainage
Photo credit: gaelx
- Dragon's Blood Tree, Socotra Island
Photo credit: Rod Waddington
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Blood
Click on an item to play that video:
- What Is The Definition Of Blood Medical Dictionary Free Online
what is the definition of medical terminology, medical dictionary, medical dictionary free download, medical terminology made easy, medical terminology song ...
- Blood Meaning
Video shows what Blood means. A member of the Los Angeles gang The Bloods.. Blood Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Blood Supply to Brain 1/11 - Best Explanation
Watch 400+ hours of videos on Basic Medical Sciences at...
- Blood | British English Idiom | Learn English
- Meaning!! of CHINA .. RIVER TURN BLOOD .. & .. Apocalyptic EARTHQUAKES .. Sep. 2012 Must See!!
- Blood Bowl 2 League Explanation.
Having a short look at how custom leagues work in Blood Bowl 2.
- Blood of the Werewolf overview and rules explanation
Blood of the Werewolf game listing on BoardGameGeek...
- One Drop of Blood (Lyrics in the Cherokee Language)
This video provides the lyrics to the famous historical song, "One Drop of Blood," sung in the Cherokee language. This is a song sung on the "Trail of Tears.
- Blood Drugs - Language - Live on Band In Seattle
- Judy Watson - blood language: James C. Sourris AM Collection
A look inside the studio of Judy Watson. An interview with artists Judy Watson by Louise Martin-Chew on 31st of May 2011. Judy talks about her background, ...
View more videos about Bad Blood, Blood And, The Blood, Blood Cell, blood clot, Blood flow, Blood Moon, Blood Song, Blood test, Blood Type, Blood Wars, Cold Blood, Blood group, First Blood, Royal Blood, blood vessel, Blood pressure, and Blood Red Moon.
See also the pronunciation examples of Blood!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Power in the blood performance sign language
- High Blood Pressure - Heart Healthy Series [British Sign Language]
This video has information about how to keep your heart healthy, provided in British Sign Language (BSL). It will help you to think about the things you could do, ...
- Power In the Blood Sign Language Instructional
- Nothing But the Blood Sign Language by God Speaking Team
Back to school revival!!! God Speaking Team signing to "Nothing But the Blood" by Hillsong United. No Copyright Intended.
- Precious Blood - Sign Language
Richard White, sign language.
Quotes about Blood
What happens is that the system builds many inferior blood vessels in the eye to take the place of the vessels that are dying. And those blood vessels are not up to the task. And they bleed. They hemorrhage and they cover the eye inside with blood. (Mary Tyler Moore)
more quotes about blood...
Scrabble value of B3L1O1O1D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BLOOD
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Blood!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blood to see it in context!