The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the adjective bloody:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective bloody
- Definition of the adverb bloody
- Definition of the verb bloody
- Phrases with Bloody
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bloody
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bloody
- Photos about Bloody
- Video language resources about Bloody
- Quotes about Bloody
- Scrabble value of B3L1O1O1D2Y4
- Anagrams of BLOODY
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective bloody
What does bloody mean as an attribute of a noun?
Bloody is one of the top 100 most common adjectives. It is used mostly in conversational speech, being the 6th most common adjective in conversational spoken English.
adjective - degrees: more bloody / bloodier | most bloody / bloodiest
- having or covered with or accompanied by blood
- examples: a bloody nose | your scarf is all bloody | the effects will be violent and probably bloody | a bloody fight
- antonym: bloodless
- similar: blood-filled; bloodstained / gory; bloodsucking; bloodthirsty / bloody-minded / sanguinary; crimson / red / violent; homicidal / murderous; butcherly / gory / sanguinary / sanguineous / slaughterous; internecine
- see also: merciless / unmerciful
- informal intensifiers
Definition of the adverb bloody
What does bloody mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
Alternative definition of the adverb bloody
- [British, mildly vulgar] Used to intensify what follows this adverb.
- synonym: bloody well
Definition of the verb bloody
What does bloody mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: bloodied
- cover with blood
Bloody is a musical group.
- albums: "Engines of Sin", "Slow Death"
"Bloody" is a musical single of The Golinski Brothers.
- released in (34 years ago)
Bloody is a fictional character from Yes! PreCure 5.
Bloody is a commonly used expletive attributive in the United Kingdom and many Commonwealth and ex-Commonwealth countries, including Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada, the Anglophone Caribbean, Hong Kong, India, Sri Lanka and Pakistan.
Phrases with Bloody
Phrases starting with the word Bloody:
- Bloody Up
- Bloody flux
- Bloody Hell
- bloody mary
- Bloody Nora
- Bloody Nose
- Bloody show
- Bloody Well
- bloody shame
- Bloody Caesar
- Bloody Hermit
- Bloody Butcher
- Bloody Warrior
- Bloody Frogfish
- Bloody Geranium
- Bloody Stickleback
Other phrases containing the word Bloody:
View more phrases with the word Bloody in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bloody
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Linda S. Watts
Bloody Mary 41 Humphrey, Theodore C., and Lin T. Humphrey, eds. We Gather Together: Food and Festival in American Life. Ann Arbor, Mich.: UMI Research Press, 1988. Myers, Robert. Celebrations: The Complete Book of American ...
by Paul Joseph
The reaction to Bloody Sunday was intense. The event seriously undermined relations between the Catholic population and the state, and strengthened the IRA. The British government rapidly set up a tribunal, under Chief Justice Widgery, ...
by Bill Palmer, Karen Palmer, Richard Meyers
Bloody Fights (1933). Pro.Co: Yi Hua (Shanghai); Dir: Hu Tu; S.P.: Tian Han; Cast : Peng Fei, Cha Ruilong. Silent. “Bloody Fists.” See: Kung Fu Invaders. 254. Bloody Fists, The (l 972). (Death Beach; Dang Kou Tan). Pro.Co: Empire Cinema ...
Embracing English, American, and Anglo-Indian Slang, Pidgin English, Tinker's Jargon and Other Irregular Phraseology by Albert Barrère, Charles Godfrey Leland
Bloody— Blot. Bloviate — Blow. Bio w — Bio zver. 139 It will contain two pages of interesting and absorbing turf reminiscences by ourselves and master ; a blood □ curdUr, by the murderman. — Snorting Times. The only one who is annoyed ...
Phraseological Allusions, Catchwords, Stereotyped Modes of Speech and Metaphors, Nicknames, Sobriquets, Derivations from Personal Names, Etc., with Explanations and Thousands of Exact References to Their Sources Or Early Usage by Albert Montefiore Hyamson
[Bloody early as 1834. Perhaps onomatopoeic in origin. Bloc, A : a close co-operation between Parties in a Parliament, in support of a common policy. Block, Ben : a sailor.' Block a bill, To : to prevent progress of a bill in Parliament by ...
Encyclopedia of Terrorism (2012)
by Peter Chalk
Bloody Friday Bloody Sunday Boj'inka Operation Bologna Basilica Bomb Plot List of Entries.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bloody
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bloody
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: djewell11
Photo credit: Kat Javier
Brutal Muay Thai fights at Rajadamnern Stadium. Seven Muay Thai fights and one Western boxing match at the end. Most of the competitors seemed like they were 12-15 years old though. A lot of blood and a few stretchers on the mat. Good times.
Photo credit: joaquinuy
- Bloody faucet
Red bloody faucet
Photo credit: Helmuts Rudzītis
- Bloody Texture
Photo credit: darkvipr
- Bloody Sunrise
Photo credit: Always Shooting
- Bloody Lane, Antietam
The Observation Tower was built after the war. This view is down the length of Bloody Lane. Federals came over a rise to be cut down by Southerners in the breastworks of Bloody Lane.
Photo credit: David McSpadden
- Bloody Gauze
Photo credit: Elfboy
- Bloody cub!
A cheetah cub of the zoo of Basel after a good meal, yes, it was pretty good!
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Bloody Autumn
Photo credit: roaldarbol
- Bloody Scratches
Photo credit: XoMEoX
- Bloody Lane, Antietam
Bluebird of happiness looks lost here, in Bloody Lane.
Photo credit: David McSpadden
- Bloody. Trails.
Photo credit: biernackip
View more pictures about Bloody Mary.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Bloody
Click on an item to play that video:
- She's A Bloody Rip Snorter: Helene Joy Breaks Down Some Aussie Slang
- Carlos Arredondo BLOODY RED, WHITE and BLUE - OCCULT MEANING - SIMON BOLIVAR, KNIGHT TEMPLAR
Is Carlos Arredondo another Simon Bolivar, 33 Degree Scott Rite, FREEMASON?
- Bloody Meaning
Video shows what bloody means. Covered in blood.. Characterised by bloodshed.. Used as an intensifier.. bloody pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition ...
- British Slang - Bloody
A short video showing the different uses of the word 'bloody' in British English. Bloody is a slang word, and some people might think it is a little rude, so don't use ...
- Aussie Slang - Bloody - Australian Slang
Aussie Slang - Bloody - Australian Slang Bloody: very.
- Aussie Slang (Slow Version) - Bloody - Australian Slang (Slow Version)
- Broadway's "Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson": The Definition of "Emo Rock"
- Let's Play Pokemon Bloody Diamond 27 - Super Effective Is Losing Meaning
When it's just a light tap.
- Bloody Wolf explanation
- BLOODY ESL NIVEAU - Bloody Trapland [Deutsch] [HD] [Facecam]
Folge 2: Bloody ESL Niveau | Multiplayer Adventure Puzzle Mit Junjindua...
- Bloody Trapland #1 Give away! Lees description!
- Bloody Verb To Be
- PetardoAnimations READ THE BLOODY DESCRIPTION
- JumpMaze MAP55 "Bloody Donation" in 2:33 (Check description for link to NEW, faster run)
- Talking Tom Bloody in the bible (contains moderate language)
Talking tom bloody in the bible.
See also the pronunciation examples of Bloody!
Quotes about Bloody
Scrabble value of B3L1O1O1D2Y4
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BLOODY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Bloody!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bloody to see it in context!