Blunt appears in the following tongue twister:
- Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt.
Not a punt cut square,
Just a square cut punt.
It's round in the stern and blunt in the front.
Mrs Puggy Wuggy has a square cut punt.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective blunt:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb blunt:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective blunt
- Definition of the noun blunt
- Definition of the verb blunt
- Phrases with Blunt
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blunt
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blunt
- Photos about Blunt
- Videos about Blunt
- Sign language
- Quotes about Blunt
- Scrabble value of B3L1U1N1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective blunt
What does blunt mean as an attribute of a noun?
Blunt is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: blunter | bluntest
- having a broad or rounded end
- used of a knife or other blade; not sharp
- example: a blunt instrument
- similar: dull
- characterized by directness in manner or speech; without subtlety or evasion
- devoid of any qualifications or disguise or adornment
Alternative definition of the adjective blunt
- Having a thick edge or point, as an instrument; not sharp.
- Dull in understanding; slow of discernment; opposed to acute.
- Abrupt in address; plain; unceremonious; wanting the forms of civility; rough in manners or speech.
- Hard to impress or penetrate.
- Slow or deficient in feeling: insensitive
Definition of the noun blunt
What does blunt mean as a name of something?
- A fencer's foil.
- A short needle with a strong point.
- [context: smoking] A marijuana cigar.
Specialised definition of the noun blunt
Glossary of sports / skateboard
any move in which the tail area behind the rear truck is in contact with a surface
Definition of the verb blunt
What does blunt mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: blunted | blunting | blunts
- make less intense
- make numb or insensitive
- make dull or blunt
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] Bill dried the clothes [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] The clothes dried wrinkled [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Tony broke the piggy bank open with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] Tony broke the glass to pieces [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Tony broke the glass to pieces with a hammer [Agent - intentional control] [Verb] [Patient] with [Instrument] Bill dried the clothes with a hairdryer [Instrument] [Verb] [Patient] The hairdryer dried the clothes [Patient] [Verb] The clothes dried | The roses bloomed [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] Piggy banks break open [Patient] [Verb] [Adjective] with [Instrument] Piggy banks break open with a hammer [Patient] [Verb] [Adverb] Copper rods bend easily | Cotton clothes dry easily | Crystal vases break easily | Idaho potatoes bake beautifully [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] Glasses break to pieces [Patient] [Verb] to / into [Oblique, state] with [Instrument] Glasses break to pieces with a rock
Verbs of Change of State (with the same syntax): abase, abate, abbreviate, abrade, abridge, accelerate, acetify, acidify, activate, advance, age, agglomerate, air, alkalify, alter, ameliorate, americanize, amplify, anesthetize, anglicize, animate, apostatize, atomize, attenuate, augment, awake, awaken, balance, beautify, bedew, bifurcate, bisect, blacken, blast, bleach, bloody, blur, bolshevize, botch, brighten, broaden, burn, burst, calcify, capacitate, capsize, caramelize, carbonize, castrate, categorize, catholicize, cauterize, change, char, cheapen, chill, chlorinate, christianize, circumcise, civilize, clean, clear, clog, close, clouded, coagulate, coarsen, collapse, collect, commercialize, compress, condense, constrict, constringe, construct, contract, cool, correct, corrode, corrugate, corrupt, cremate, crimson, crisp, crumble, crystallize, curdle, dampen, darken, de-escalate, deafen, decelerate, decentralize, decrease, deepen, deflate, defrost, degenerate, degrade, dehumidify, dehydrate, demagnetize, demobilize, democratize, depressurize, desalinate, desiccate, destabilize, deteriorate, detonate, devalue, diffract, diffuse, dilate, dilute, dim, diminish, dirty, disintegrate, dislocate, disorganize, disperse, dissipate, dissolve, diversify, divide, domesticate, double, drain, dry, dull, ease, effeminate, emaciate, emasculate, embitter, embrocate, empty, emulsify, energize, enhance, enlarge, equalize, equilibrate, eternalize, europeanize, evaporate, even, expand, explode, fade, famish, fatten, federate, feminize, fertilize, fill, firm, flatten, flood, fossilize, fray, freeze, freshen, frost, fructify, fuse, gasify, gelatinize, gladden, granulate, gray, grow, halt, harden, harmonize, hasten, heal, heat, heighten, humidify, hush, hybridize, hydrogenate, ignite, improve, incinerate, increase, incubate, inflate, intensify, invert, iodize, ionize, kindle, laminate, lengthen, lessen, level, levitate, light, lighten, lignify, liquefy, loop, loose, loosen, macerate, magnetize, magnify, mature, mechanize, mellow, melt, mineralize, mobilize, moderate, modernize, modulate, moisten, motorize, muddy, multiply, mute, narrow, nasalize, nationalize, naturalize, neutralize, nitrify, normalize, objectify, obscure, open, operate, ossify, overturn, oxidize, pale, paralyze, pasteurize, perfect, petrify, polarize, polymerize, pop, popularize, proliferate, propagate, publicize, pulverize, purify, purple, putrefy, quadruple, quicken, quiet, quieten, rarefy, reanimate, redden, regularize, rekindle, reopen, reproduce, resuscitate, reverse, revive, ripen, roughen, rupture, saponify, scorch, sear, secularize, sharpen, short, short-circuit, shorten, shrink, shrivel, shush, shut, sicken, silence, silver, singe, sink, slack, slacken, slim, slow, smooth, soak, sober, soften, solidify, sour, sovietize, sprout, stabilize, standardize, steady, steep, steepen, sterilize, stiffen, stratify, strengthen, submerge, subside, sunburn, sweeten, tame, tan, taper, tauten, tense, thaw, thicken, thin, tighten, tilt, tire, topple, toughen, tousle, tranquilize, treble, triple, ulcerate, unionize, urbanize, vaporize, vary, ventilate, vibrate, vitrify, volatilize, vulcanize, wake, waken, warm, weaken, westernize, wet, whiten, widen, worsen, yellow.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of blunt: dull
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- make less sharp
- make less lively, intense, or vigorous; impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation
- example: Terror blunted her feelings
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonym of blunt: deaden
- more generic words: alter / change / modify = cause to change; make different
- more specific words:
- Blunt a.k.a. Emily Blunt: Emily Olivia Leah Blunt is an English actress. She has appeared in The Devil Wears Prada, The Young Victoria, The Adjustment Bureau, Looper, and Edge of Tomorrow. She has been nominated for four Golden Globe Awards, two London Film Critics' Circle Awards, and one BAFTA Award. She won a Golden Globe Award for her work in the BBC television drama Gideon's Daughter. In 2009, she received the BAFTA Britannia Award for British Artist of the Year.
- read more about Emily Blunt (actress)
- Blunt was an English first-class cricketer who was active in the 1790s playing for Marylebone Cricket Club. He is recorded in one first-class match in 1792, totalling 0 runs with a highest score of 0.
- Blunt a.k.a. Blünt is a musical group.
- album: "Blünt"
- Blunt is a musical group.
- album: "Reggae da nation"
Blunt is a fictional character from the 1958 film The Son of Robin Hood.
- "Blunt" is a composition.
- "Blunt" a.k.a. "Blünt" is a musical album of Blünt.
Blunt is a city in Hughes County, South Dakota, United States. It is part of the Pierre, South Dakota Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 354 at the 2010 census.
- Blunt: A blunt is a cigar which is wider than a cigarillo and not quite as wide as a Corona. These cigars typically consist of two main parts; the inner leaf, which is similar to a cigarette rolling paper, except it is made of tobacco, and a thicker outer leaf which is rolled around the inner leaf in a spiral. In most commercially available blunts, the "leaves" are not actual tobacco leaves but rather paper made from tobacco pulp.
- Blunt: A blunt is a cigar hollowed out and filled with marijuana. It is rolled with the tobacco-leaf "wrapper" from an inexpensive cigar. Blunts take their name from Phillies Blunt brand cigars, although any commonly available inexpensive cigar or cigarillo is likely to be used, due to suitability and availability. Another common term for a blunt is an "El-P" or "L", a reference to the El Producto brand. Another commonly used nickname is "Dutches" when referring to Dutch Masters. Swisher Sweets and White Owl cigars/cigarillos are also popular with those who smoke blunts.
- Blunt a.k.a. Blunt Snowboard Magazine was an American snowboard magazine published in the 1990s. DC Shoes were the initial publishers of Blunt, which mainly featured advertisements for new, small and independent companies. The magazine also featured regular submissions by skateboarder Ed Templeton and photos by Rob "Whitey" McConnaughy. The magazine was eventually sold to Big Brother Magazine and later on to Larry Flynt Publications who disctoninued it a few years later.
Phrases with Blunt
- blunt file
- Blunt Sedge
- Blunt Wedge
- blunt trauma
- Blunt Spikerush
- Blunt-Eared Bat
- Blunt Ambersnail
- Blunt instrument
- Blunt Spikesedge
- blunt-leaf heath
- Blunt Broom Sedge
- Blunt-Leaf Cassia
- Blunt Blade Shrimp
- Blunt Chaff Flower
- Blunt Tansymustard
- Blunt-Lobe Woodsia
- Blunt Tansy Mustard
- Blunt-Headed Wrasse
- Blunt-Leaf Waterleaf
- Blunt-Winged Warbler
View more phrases with the word Blunt in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Blunt
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology by Umberto Quattrocchi
Amblyglottis Blume Orchidaceae Amblyglottis Blume Orchidaceae Origins: Greek amblys "blunt, obtuse" and glotta "tongue," glottis "mouth of the windpipe," an allusion to the shape of the lip. Amblygonocarpus Harms Mimosaceae Origins : ...
Injury, Fatal and Nonfatal: Blunt Force Injury J.J. PayneJames, Forensic Healthcare Services Ltd., Southminster, UK, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London, UK, St George's Hospital, London, UK This article is a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Blunt
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Blunt
Click on an item to view that photo:
You see towns and roads all round not realizing, these were actual families...
Photo credit: Clearly Ambiguous
Photo credit: Brett Jordan
Hansi @ Puch/Austria
Photo credit: rawmeyn | Filmmaker & Photographer
Photo credit: baptfrack
Photo credit: Philip_Photography
Photo credit: James Alby
- Blunt Riders.
Photo credit: JMagotch
- Blunt Riders.
Photo credit: JMagotch
View more pictures about James Blunt.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Blunt
Click on an item to play that video:
- Blunt Meaning
Video shows what blunt means. Having a thick edge or point, as an instrument; not sharp.. Dull in understanding; slow of discernment; opposed to acute.. Abrupt ...
- Blunt the Edge - An Explanation | Murder in the First | TNT
- Nocturnal Dictionary - Blunt Bleach (DEMO)
- To Be Blunt - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- 360 flip blunt slide (Check Description)
See also the pronunciation examples of Blunt!
James Blunt - You're Beautiful - British Sign Language.
Quotes about Blunt
Scrabble value of B3L1U1N1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Blunt to see it in context!