Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun braid:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun braid
- Definition of the verb braid
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Braid
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Braid
- Usage statistics about braid
- Photos about Braid
- Video language resources about Braid
- Quotes about Braid
- Scrabble value of B3R1A1I1D2
- Anagrams of BRAID
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun braid
What does braid mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: braids
- a hairdo formed by braiding or twisting the hair
- trimming used to decorate clothes or curtains
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of braid: braiding / gold braid
- more generic words: passementerie / trim / trimming = a decoration or adornment on a garment
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun braid
- [obsolete] A sudden movement; a jerk, a wrench. [definition 11th-17th c.]
- A weave of three or more strands of fibers, ribbons, cords or hair often for decoration. [definition from 16th c.]
Definition of the verb braid
What does braid mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: braided | braiding | braids
- make by braiding or interlacing
- decorate with braids or ribbons
- form or weave into a braid or braids
- examples: braid hair | They braid their hair
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being] [Verb] [Patient] Celia brushed her hair | Celia brushed the baby's hair | Marlene dressed the baby | Sheila groomed the horse | The hygienist flossed my teeth
Verbs of Grooming and Bodily Care (with the same syntax): bob, brush, clip, coldcream, comb, condition, crimp, crop, curl, cut, dye, file, gel, henna, highlight, lather, manicure, paint, part, perm, plait, pluck, powder, rinse, rouge, set, shampoo, soap, style, talc, tease, towel, trim, wave, wax.
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of braid: pleach
- antonym of braid: unbraid
- more generic words: interweave / weave = interlace by or as if by weaving
Alternative definition of the verb braid
- [obsolete] [transitive] To make a sudden movement with, to jerk.
- [archaic] [intransitive] To start into motion.
- [transitive] To weave together, intertwine (strands of fibers, ribbons, etc.); to arrange (hair) in braids.
"Braid" is a 2011 short drama film written and directed by Chun-Yi Hsieh.
- also known as Bian Zi
- country: Taiwan
- languages: Standard Chinese, Chinese language
- producer: Gu Qiao
- written by Chun-Yi Hsieh
- cinematography by Jordan Schiele
- music by Wei-San Hsu
- released in (5 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Braid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Moonshine beyond the Monster (2006)
The Bridge Connecting Algebra, Modular Forms and Physics by Terry Gannon
is a braid equivalence – it must be, since Braid is a braided monoidal category.
Lampshade Making (2013)
by F. J. Christopher
Braid is a woven material usually manufactured in straight lengths in various colours and patterns—most braids are made from cotton. Gimp is a...
Proven Writing Techniques for Role Playing Games, Online Games, First Person Shooters, and more by Josiah Lebowitz, Chris Klug
Jonathan Blow's Braid is an independent game created almost solely by Blow himself and artist David Hellman. It was released on the Xbox 360 to surprising critical acclaim and commercial success and later ported to both the ...
Cool Crafts with Old Jeans (2010)
Green Projects for Resourceful Kids by Carol Sirrine
The braid is a classic hairstyle that works anywhere from Step 1 Cut the waistband from a pair of jeans. Remove the belt loops and save for step 6. Step 2 If your jeans have reinforced outer seams, cut them out of both pant legs. If your jeans ...
Compassionate Knitting (2011)
Finding Basic Goodness in the Work of Our Hands by Tara Jon Manning
Celtic Braid: The Braid is a knitted representation of interlacement found carved in Celtic stonework and the early Christian high crosses. This shows an artistic bridge between the traditions, linked by the Aran culture. The knitted braid is also ...
A Composer's Guide by Michael Sweet
Braid is a registered trademark of Number None, Inc. Castlevania, Dance Dance Revolution, Frogger, Gyruss, Metal Gear Solid, and Silent Hill are registered trademarks of Konami Digital Entertainment Co. Choose Your Own Adventure is a ...
Music in the Words (2009)
Musical Form and Counterpoint in the Twentieth Century Novel by Alan Frederick Shockley
The "Ant Fugue" from Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid Published in 1979 and winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1980 (in the General Non- fiction category), Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid is a difficult work to classify.
by Angela Grabowski
Simple Braid Repeat Row 3 to create pattern. Rows 1 & 2: Forward and Return – Work Tss as you normally would. Row 3: Forward – Pick up loops up to Braid placement. Count down 3 rows before.
by Mary Brooks Picken
Small, round, closely woven braid. Used for trimming. rattail b. Tubular silk braid resembling rat's tail. Used for trimming. rice b. Braid similar to coronation, but smaller in size, with thick parts spaced to give appearance of grains of rice. Used in ...
A Description of Tools, Instruments, Machines, Processes, and Engineering; History of Inventions; General Technological Vocabulary; and Digest of Mechanical Appliances in Science and the Arts by Edward Henry Knight
BRAID SIZING AND POLISHING. a brn<l by the head, and by which it is driven into its appointed place. Braid. (Fabric.) A narrow woolen woven goods, used for binding. Among the materials used for bonnet-braid may be mentioned, ...
by William K. Emerson
This major, assigned to a division general stafl in Hawaii during the mid- I930s, has the black braid and General Stafl Corps lapel insignia. Fig. 31-11. On the overcoat sleeve General Stafl Corps oflicers wore a black l/z-inch-wide sleeve band ...
by John Jamieson
To BRADE, BRAID, v.n, h Tomove quickly, to tate long steps in rapid succession. Douglas. 2. To spring, to start. Gawan and Gol. 3.
To BRADE, BRAID, v. m. 1. To move quickly, to take long steps in rapid succession. Douglas. 2. To spring, to start. Gawan and Gol. 3.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Braid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about braid
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun braid:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb braid:
Photos about Braid
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: soaringbird
Photo credit: wmshc_kiwi
Shots on the way back from Toronto as others soon head in to Toronto for weddings
Photo credit: Dan Zen
Photo credit: @lattefarsan
f/11 @ 1/320s, ISO100
Photo credit: MemeSanchez
UP Fairies shoot
Photo credit: deejaymarlon
- Side 2 braid hairstick bun
Photo credit: Jill Bearup
- Justin plays Braid!
Photo credit: Sklathill
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Braid
Click on an item to play that video:
- VIXEN CROCHET BRAIDS- ISIS DEFINITION BRAID
- FRO-HAWK FRENZY: 3 Styles using- ISIS DEFINITION BRAID
- Five 5 Strand Braid Hairstyle.VERY DETAILED EXPLANATION. Everyday Hairstyle.Penteados
Cute Everyday Braided Hairstyle. VERY DETAILED EXPLANATION for beginners: How to create a Five Strand Braid.
- Braid Meaning
Video shows what braid means. To make a sudden movement with, to jerk.. To start into motion.. To weave together, intertwine (strands of fibers, ribbons, etc.)
- Verb How-To: Milk Maid Braid
Verb Stylist Keila Rokkan demonstrates a Milk Maid Braid using Verb Products.
- Cutegirlshairstyles waterfall mermaid braid on ag dolls ( DESCRIPTION)
If you would like a tutorial give this video a like.
See also the pronunciation examples of Braid!
Quotes about Braid
surrounded by jade
magic twined together
through a silver braid
Rubies so alive
coloured by blood
like a rose bud
promise of eternal
magic in stones
love in metal
she adorns (Shweta Khosla)
more quotes about braid...
Scrabble value of B3R1A1I1D2
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine