The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun breath:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun breath:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun breath
- Phrases with Breath
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Breath
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Breath
- Photos about Breath
- Video language resources about Breath
- Sign language
- Quotes about Breath
- Scrabble value of B3R1E1A1T1H4
- Anagrams of BREATH
- Share this page
The word breath is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun breath
What does breath mean as a name of something?
Breath is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: breaths
- the process of taking in and expelling air during breathing
- examples: he took a deep breath and dived into the pool | he was fighting to his last breath
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic terms: activity / bodily function / bodily process / body process = an organic process that takes place in the body
- more specific terms:
- the air that is inhaled and exhaled in respiration
- a short respite
- an indirect suggestion
- a slight movement of the air
Alternative definition of the noun breath
- [uncountable] The act or process of breathing.
- [countable] A single act of breathing in or out.
- [uncountable] Air expelled from the lungs.
- [countable] A rest or pause.
- a small amount of something, such as wind, or common sense
- "Breath": Respiro is a 2002 Italian film written and directed by Emanuele Crialese and released in English-language markets in 2003. The film stars Valeria Golino, Vincenzo Amato, and Francesco Casisa. In the Italian language, respiro means a "breath".
- also known as Respiro, Grazia's Island
- countries: Italy, France
- languages: Italian Language, Sicilian Language
- producer: Domenico Procacci
- art direction by Beatrice Scarpato
- written by Emanuele Crialese
- music by John Surman, Andrea Guerra
- genres: Comedy, Drama
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (12 years ago)
- read more about Breath (film)
- "Breath" is the fourteenth feature film by South Korean director Kim Ki-duk.
- also known as Soom, Sum, The Breath
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- producers: Kim Ki-duk & Song Myung-chul
- production design by Hwang In-jun
- written by Kim Ki-duk
- cinematography by Sung Jong-moo
- edited by Wang Su-an
- music by Kim Myung-jong
- costume design by Lee Da-yeon
- genres: Drama, East Asian cinema, World cinema
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Breath" is a 2009 Turkish drama film directed by Levent Semerci. The film, which tells the story of 40 soldiers in charge of protecting a relay station near the Iraqi border in southeastern Turkey, was adapted from the short stories Tales from the Southeast and Ground Minus Zero by Hakan Evrensel and is, according to Hürriyet Daily News reviewer Emine Yıldırım, the first Turkish film that tackles, through an authentic perspective and convincing realness, the contemporary situation of the Turkish army and its long battle with the terrorist Kurdistan Workers' Party .
- also known as The Breath, Nefes: Vatan Sagolsun
- country: Turkey
- language: Turkish Language
- producer: Murat Akdilek
- art direction by Soner Caner
- written by Mehmet Ilker Altinay
- based on a story by Hakan Evrensel
- İlker Kızmaz as Srg. İlker Çavuş
- Barış Bağcı as First Lieutenant Barış
- Özgür Eren Koç as Resul
- Birce Akalay as The wife of Cpt. Mete
- İbrahim Aköz as İbo
- Serkan Altıntaş as Vedat Dinçkaya
- Turgay Atalay as Haberci Turgay
- Ertunç Atar as Ertunç
- Okan Avcı as The dispatch rider of First Lieutenant Barış
- Mete Horozoğlu as Mete Yüzbaşı
- Engin Hepileri as Taksideki Adam
- cinematography by Levent Semerci & Vedat Özdemir
- edited by Erkan Erdem
- music by Fırat Yükselir
- genres: Action Film, Thriller, War film, Drama
- released on (5 years ago)
- official website: www.nefesfilm.com
- "Breath" a.k.a. "Shwaas" is a Marathi film, released in 2004. It was India's official entry to the 2004 Oscars and was ranked 6th in the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film category. Its storyline is based on a real-life incident in Pune. A low-budget of Indian rupee 30 lakhs, Shwaas won the National Award for best film in 2004, nearly 50 years since a Marathi film last earned this title. Directed by debutant Sandeep Sawant, it was shot in 30 days at Sindhudurg, Konkan, Pune and at KEM Hospital in Mumbai. The post-production took one and half years to complete. Shwaas was acknowledged as a "significant turn for Marathi cinema" which had been going through a low patch. After its success, it was released in Hindi, Bengali and Tamil languages.
- read more about Shwaas
- "Breath" is a 2011 documentary and biographical film written and directed by Kullar Viimne.
- "Breath" is a 2012 short film directed by Josué Vázquez Peralta and Eduardo Benjamín Gutiérrez Múgica.
- "Breath" is a film, directed by Randi Romo.
- released in
- "Breath" is a notably short stage work by Samuel Beckett. An altered version was first included in Kenneth Tynan's revue Oh! Calcutta!, at the Eden Theatre in New York City on June 16, 1969. The UK premiere was at the Close Theatre Club in Glasgow in October 1969; this was the first performance of the text as written. The second performance, and the English premiere, was at a benefit held at the Oxford Playhouse on March 8, 1970. “The first accurate publication appeared in Gambit 4.16: 5–9, with a manuscript facsimile.
- released in (46 years ago)
- "Breath" is the twentieth book and the eighth novel by Australian novelist Tim Winton. His first novel in seven years, it was published in 2008, in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, the Netherlands and Germany.
- language: English Language
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Breath" is a book by Sandra Sabatini.
- also known as "Breath--The Essence of Yoga", Breath--The Essence of Yoga
- subjects: Health, Fitness
- "Breath" is a song by the American rock band Pearl Jam. Featuring lyrics written by vocalist Eddie Vedder and music written by guitarist Stone Gossard, "Breath" first appeared on the soundtrack to the 1992 film, Singles. The song was included on Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album, rearviewmirror. An early version of the song, entitled "Breath and a Scream", was included as part of the reissue of the band's debut album, Ten, in 2009.
- "Breath" is the second single and the third track from post-grunge/alternative metal band Breaking Benjamin's third album, Phobia. It was the band's fourth charted song on the U.S. Hot 100 overall, and the second from Phobia. Although "Breath" failed to capture to pop success of The Diary of Jane at #50 where "Breath" hit #84 on the Billboard Hot 100, it was more successful on the rock charts where it hit #1 on the US Mainstream Rock Tracks chart, making it Breaking Benjamin's first number-one hit staying there for seven weeks where "The Diary of Jane" hit #2 and it also hit #3 on the US Modern Rock Tracks chart tying with So Cold as their highest-charting single on the chart where "The Diary of Jane" hit #4.
- "Breath" is a 2010 single by the South Korean band Beast.
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Breath" a.k.a. "Nefes" is an studio album by Serdar Ortaç released on June 2, 2008.
- read more about Nefes
- "Breath" is a musical album of Mercan Dede.
- released in (9 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical album of Flutwacht.
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical EP of LeGaScred.
- released on
- "BREATH" is a musical album of Misato Watanabe.
- released on (27 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical EP of The Rosemary Beads.
- released in (21 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical EP of SM the Ballad.
- released on
- "breath" is a musical album of Rina Chinen.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical album of Yinon Muallem.
- released on (4 years ago)
- "breath" is a musical single of ダリ.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Breath" is a musical album of Sumitada Azumano.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "BREATH" is a musical album of Seeda.
- Breath was a Japanese rock duo. Its members were Kanatsuki Takuya and Kikuchi Kazuhito. They broke up in October 2005.
- genre: Rock music
- album: "Heart of Mine"
- Breath is a musical group.
- album: "ガラクタの唄"
There are other groups with in their name, like Black Breath, Death Breath, Final Breath, Stone Breath, Angel's Breath, Another Breath, Breath of Life, Breath of Death, Faithful Breath, New Sweet Breath, Breath of Sorrows, Locomotive Breath, Manticore's Breath, The Breath Of Life, Her Breath on Glass, Metabass 'N' Breath, The Breeze The Breath, You've Got Foetus on Your Breath and Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath.
- Breath a.k.a. Breathing is the process that moves air in and out of the lungs, or oxygen through other breathing organs such as gills. For organisms with lungs, breathing is also called ventilation, which includes both inhalation and exhalation. Breathing is one part of physiological respiration required to sustain life. Aerobic organisms of birds, mammals, and reptiles—require oxygen to release energy via cellular respiration, in the form of the metabolism of energy-rich molecules such as glucose. Breathing is only one of the processes that deliver oxygen to where it is needed in the body and remove carbon dioxide. Another important process involves the movement of blood by the circulatory system. Gas exchange occurs in the pulmonary alveoli by passive diffusion of gases between the alveolar gas and the blood in lung capillaries. Once these dissolved gases are in the blood, the heart powers their flow around the body. The medical term for normal relaxed breathing is eupnea.
- read more about Breathing
- Breath is a cataloged instance, musical recording, canonical version.
Phrases with Breath
Phrases starting with the word Breath:
Phrases ending with the word Breath:
- Bad Breath
- Waste Breath
- baby's breath
- Out of Breath
- take a breath
- Wiener Breath
- baby's breath
- To Waste Breath
- Hold One's Breath
- Low Baby's-Breath
- Save One's Breath
- With Bated Breath
- catch one's breath
- in the same breath
View more phrases with the word Breath in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Breath
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Alchemy of Voice (2010)
Transform and Enrich Your Life Through the Power of Your Voice by Stewart Pearce
Breath is the very measure of our lives. Yet in between birth and death, most of us take the air that moves through our nostrils and mouths completely for granted. Breath is far more than a simple movement of air; our whole life depends on the ...
Conscious Living (2002)
A Guidebook for Spiritual Transformation by Swami Rama
Breath is a direct link with the Lord that you have every day. It's a perfect philosophy. Besides the philosophical...
Breath is the bridge between the body and your thinking process called mind. In our modern world, we either talk only about the ...
The End of the Unrepentant (2012)
A Study of the Biblical Themes of Fire and Being Consumed by J. Webb Mealy
Isaiah 33:11–12 11You conceive chaff, you bring forth stubble; your breath is a fire that will consume you. 12And the peoples will be as if burned to lime, ...
Esoteric Anatomy (2012)
The Body as Consciousness by Bruce Burger
Our every breath is a reenactment of the primordial mystery of creation, our every utterance a microcosm of the Sacred Word. As jurist and Tantrie scholar Sir john Woodroffe \Vrotc: On the physical plane, Prana manifests in the animal body as ...
by W. Dietrich
'Breath is a promiscuous lover. The breath you just took was in someone else a moment ago...
by Sally-Anne Lambert
ingn / macro / paiore / huhu / poho kore Be emaciated kohia Living in an anaciated state whakapaiore BREATH Breath...
/ whakahi / hi Breathe / Take breath ngi [git — recovered from upset, of a ...
Bashgali Dictionary (2001)
An Analysis of Colonel J. Davidson's Notes on the Bashgali Language by Sten Konow
breath; shits kalon, let him ...
Lexicon of the Mouth (2014)
Poetics and Politics of Voice and the Oral Imaginary by Brandon LaBelle
Speech and voicing are inextricably connected to breath and breathing; the respiratory movements of inhaling and exhaling are the very operations enabling voice to sound. Yet these operations also figure in the lexicon of mouth movements, ...
Given Names Listed by Meaning, 2d ed. by Yvonne Navarro
m Abbott; son Abbott m abbey; father Abbottson m Abbott; son Abdalla m God/ god; servant Abdel m son Abdul m son Abeale f open; protected Abebe f asked Abebi f asked Abedi m worshiper Abeeku m born Abejide m born Abel m breath ...
During its period of existence and use, SIFT-MS has been used to study and analyse, mostly for VOCs, a wide variety of gaseous media, including exhaled breath, urine headspace, mammalian and bacterial cell cultures and in food science.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Breath
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Breath
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: KINGjeorge
Photo credit: micalangelone
Photo credit: Leonardo Veras1
Photo credit: Thairms
Artist: Benjamin Murphy, Blackall Street, Shoreditch, London
Photo credit: KylaBorg
Photo credit: El Mundo De LunAzul
Photo credit: Kim G. Appels
Yashica Electro 35GX
COLOR-YASHINON DX F1.7
Fujifilm Gyomuyo 100
Photo credit: Yosh the Fishhead
Photo credit: Martin Snicer Photography
Photo credit: bradhoc
- Buzzard Breath
Turkey vulture perched on a fence along Highway One, south of Piedras Blancas. Cropped to portrait mode to make an interesting fence line
Photo credit: puliarf
- Just remember to breath
only a Summer smell!
credits after rl work :P
Photo credit: Shocking Wonder
- Breath Impeller System
Photo credit: mpeg2tom
- Breath[e] Under Worklights
A better idea of what the backstage is like.
Photo credit: controlenthused
- Winter breath
Photo credit: lorenkerns
- Breath of the Spring
Photo credit: ezhikoff
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Breath
Click on an item to play that video:
- Wiener breath Meaning
Video shows what wiener breath means. an obnoxious or annoying person.. a person who smells.. Wiener breath Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- 6 Breath Explanation
- A simple explanation of Mizuno Breath Thermo
A simple explanation of Mizuno Breath Thermo, as told by Rpb Presnell, manager, Ultramax Sports-Columbia (MO) store. For more info, come in and see us ...
- Catch one's breath Meaning
Video shows what catch one's breath means. To take a break, or rest while doing a strenuous activity, so that one's breathing becomes easier.. To take in a ...
- Breath Meaning
Video shows what breath means. The act or process of breathing.. A single act of breathing in or out.. Air expelled from the lungs.. breath pronunciation. How to ...
- Save one's breath Meaning
Video shows what save one's breath means. To refrain from speech.. Save one's breath Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- DRAGON BREATH EXPLANATION
This is to answer a few of your questions about how, when and why to do a "Dragon Breath"...
- Hold one's breath Meaning
Video shows what hold one's breath means. ; to pause noticeably before exhaling after previously inhaling.. To wait, as if breathlessly.. Hold one's breath ...
- Breath of heaven Meaning
Video shows what breath of heaven means. a small southern African shrub () with small leathery leaves and white or pink flowers that is cultivated in California..
- Under one's breath Meaning
Video shows what under one's breath means. Softly, so as not to be heard.. Under one's breath Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Breath Of Eros - Do Not Look For Meaning In Everything [Single] (2015)
Breath Of Eros - Metalcore / Instrumental project from the city of Mozyr, Belarus, established in 2015...
- Stage Breath Explanation...
- Baby's breath Meaning
Video shows what baby's breath means. A genus, Gypsophila, of about 100 species of flowering plants in the family Caryophyllaceae, native to Europe, Asia and ...
- Georgia DUI breath test-DUI breathalyzer test-Medical Explanation-Inaccurate breathalyzer results
Georgia DUI breath test-DUI breathalyzer test-Medical Explanation-Inaccurate breathalyzer results If you were arrested for drunk driving, and took a breath test ...
- Qi Gong with explanation of breath
- Blowing blow breath dream interpretation, Blowing blow breath Dream Meaning,
- Short Explanation Alternate breath
- Puppy Breath & Norcal Slang
- Save Your Breath - Idioms - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Vipassana | Goenka on Your Body's Language and Your Breath as a Bridge
Vipassana | Goenka on Your Body's Language and Your Breath as a Bridge ABOUT: 1. Acupuncture works amazingly with no needles. The needle free option.
- BODY LANGUAGE of salespeople check your teeth & breath - Scott Sylvan Bell
- Ujjayi Breath Description
- The Pulse Sensing Tumors with Robotics and Transforming Breath into Language
- Star-seed Power Breath Language Talk to Infinity Landed on TERRAin NOW
- Under Your Breath - Useful Phrases - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Breath!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Breath
While taking breath
And think nothing
And think nothing
At the time of
In the midst of war
War is a life
And without war
How can we survive
War is the life breath
While taking breath. (Gajanan Mishra)
more quotes about breath...
Scrabble value of B3R1E1A1T1H4
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of BREATH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Breath!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Breath to see it in context!