Usage statistics for the noun building:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun building
- Phrases with Building
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Building
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Building
- Usage statistics about building
- Photos about Building
- Video language resources about Building
- Sign language
- Quotes about Building
- Scrabble value of B3U1I1L1D2I1N1G2
- Share this page
Building is sometimes a misspelling of buildings.
The word building is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun building
What does building mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: buildings
- a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place
- example: there was a three-story building on the corner
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of building: edifice
- more generic words: construction / structure = a thing constructed
- more specific terms:
- slaughterhouse / abattoir / butchery / shambles = a building where animals are butchered
- apartment building / apartment house = a building that is divided into apartments
- architecture = an architectural product or work
- bird sanctuary / aviary / volary = a building where birds are kept
- bathing machine / bathhouse = a building containing dressing rooms for bathers
- bowling alley = a building that contains several alleys for bowling
- center / centre = a building dedicated to a particular activity
- chapterhouse = a building attached to a monastery or cathedral
- clubhouse / club = a building that is occupied by a social club
- student residence / residence hall / dormitory / dorm / hall = a college or university building containing living quarters for students
- farm building = a building on a farm
- feedlot = a building where livestock are fattened for market
- firetrap = a building that would be hard to escape from if it were to catch fire
- gambling house / gambling hell / gambling den / gaming house = a public building in which a variety of games of chance can be played
- summerhouse / gazebo = a small roofed building affording shade and rest
- government building = a building that houses a branch of government
- glasshouse / greenhouse = a building with glass walls and roof
- hall = a large building for meetings or entertainment
- hall = a large building used by a college or university for teaching or research
- Hall of Fame = a building containing trophies honoring famous people
- hotel = a building where travelers can pay for lodging and meals and other services
- casino-hotel / hotel-casino = a building that houses both a hotel and a casino
- house = a dwelling that serves as living quarters for one or more families
- house = a building in which something is sheltered or located
- library = a building that houses a collection of books and other materials
- healthcare facility / medical building / health facility = building where medicine is practiced
- ministry = building where the business of a government ministry is transacted
- dead room / mortuary / morgue = a building (or room) where dead bodies are kept before burial or cremation
- observatory = a building designed and equipped to observe astronomical phenomena
- office building / office block = a building containing offices where work is done
- opium den = a building where opium is sold and used
- outbuilding = a building that is subordinate to and separate from a main building
- packinghouse = a building where foodstuffs are processed and packed
- house of worship / place of worship / house of prayer / house of God = any building where congregations gather for prayer
- planetarium = a building housing an instrument for projecting the positions of the planets onto a domed ceiling
- presbytery = building reserved for the officiating clergy
- eating house / eating place / restaurant / eatery = a building where people go to eat
- rest house = a building used for shelter by travelers
- skating rink / rink = building that contains a surface for ice skating or roller skating
- Roman building = a building constructed by the ancient Romans
- rotunda = a building having a circular plan and a dome
- ruin = a ruined building
- schoolhouse / school = a building where young people receive education
- shooting gallery = a building (usually abandoned) where drug addicts buy and use heroin
- signal tower / signal box = a building from which signals are sent to control the movements of railway trains
- skyscraper = a very tall building with many stories
- student union = a building on a college campus dedicated to social and organizational activities of the student body
- tap house / tavern = a building with a bar that is licensed to sell alcoholic drinks
- telco building / telecom hotel = a building that houses telecommunications equipment
- temple = an edifice devoted to special or exalted purposes
- theater / theatre / house = a building where theatrical performances or motion-picture shows can be presented
- house of prostitution / house of ill repute / sporting house / bawdyhouse / whorehouse / bordello / cathouse / brothel / bagnio = a building where prostitutes are available
- extension / annexe / annex / wing = an addition that extends a main building
- entrance hall / antechamber / vestibule / anteroom / foyer / lobby / hall = a large entrance or reception room or area
- corner / quoin = solid exterior angle of a building
- corner / nook = an interior angle formed by two meeting walls
- cornerstone = a stone at the outer corner of two intersecting masonry walls
- cornerstone = a stone in the exterior of a large and important building
- courtyard / court = an area wholly or partly surrounded by walls or buildings
- cullis = a gutter in a roof
- elevator / lift = lifting device consisting of a platform or cage that is raised and lowered mechanically in a vertical shaft in order to move people from one floor to another in a building
- exterior door / outside door = a doorway that allows entrance to or exit from a building
- storey / floor / level / story = a structure consisting of a room or set of rooms at a single position along a vertical scale
- foundation stone = a stone laid at a ceremony to mark the founding of a new building
- heating system / heating plant / heating / heat = utility to warm a building
- interior door = a door that closes off rooms within a building
- roof = a protective covering that covers or forms the top of a building
- room = an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling
- scantling / stud = an upright in house framing
- shaft = a vertical passageway through a building
- skeletal frame / underframe / skeleton / frame = the internal supporting structure that gives an artifact its shape
- staircase / stairway = a way of access (upward and downward) consisting of a set of steps
- upstairs = the part of a building above the ground floor
- wall = an architectural partition with a height and length greater than its thickness
- window = a framework of wood or metal that contains a glass windowpane and is built into a wall or roof to admit light or air
- crawl space / crawlspace = low space beneath a floor of a building
- the act of constructing something
- example: his hobby was the building of boats
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of building: construction
- more generic term: creating from raw materials = the act of creating something that is different from the materials that went into it
- more specific terms:
- bricolage = construction of something by whatver material are available
- crenellation / crenelation = the action of constructing ramparts with gaps for firing guns or arrows
- erecting / erection = the act of building or putting up
- house-raising = construction by a group of neighbors
- fabrication / assembly = the act of constructing something
- dry walling = the activity of building stone walls without mortar
- leveling / grading = changing the ground level to a smooth horizontal or gently sloping surface
- road construction = the construction of roads
- ship building / shipbuilding = the construction of ships
- rustication = the construction of masonry or brickwork in a rustic manner
- the commercial activity involved in repairing old structures or constructing new ones
- example: workers in the building trades
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of building: construction
- more generic terms: business / business enterprise / commercial enterprise = the activity of providing goods and services involving financial and commercial and industrial aspects
- more specific word: jerry-building = construction of inferior buildings for a quick profit
- the occupants of a building
Alternative definition of the noun building
- [uncountable] The act or process of building.
- synonym: construction
- A closed structure with walls and a roof.
- synonym: edifice
- "Building" is the tenth studio album by American recording artist Brian Larsen, released on April 17, 2012 by Protocol Records. The album was announced by Larsen in August, 2010 and a teaser trailer for the album was released in November, 2010.
- "Building" is the third album from Sense Field. It was released in 1996 on Revelation Records.
- "Building" is a composition.
- music by Jerry Martin
- "Building" is a composition by Somobe.
- "Building" is a book by Philip Wilkinson.
- also known as "Building (Eyewitness Books)"
- genres: Reference, Children's literature
- subjects: Engineering, Technology, Structural engineering, Construction, Architecture, Art
- "Building" is a short story by S. J. Rozan.
- language: English Language
- released in (9 years ago)
- award: - Edgar Award for Best Short Story nomination for S. J. Rozan
- "Building" is a book by Elisha Cooper.
- subjects: Construction, Technology
"Building" is an award-nominated video game.
- mode: Single-player video game
- designer: Mike Tullock
- developer: Mike Tullock
- genres: Interactive fiction, Adventure game
- XYZZY Award for Best Setting
- XYZZY Award for Best Puzzles
- Building is one of the United Kingdom’s oldest business-to-business magazines, launched as The Builder in 1843 by Joseph Aloysius Hansom – architect of Birmingham Town Hall and designer of the Hansom Cab. The journal was renamed Building in 1966 as it is still known today. Building is the only UK title to cover the entire building industry. According to ABC, the magazine's circulation for the year ending in June 2006, was 25,017, but circulation dropped during the recession of the late 2000s to 21,271 for the year July 2009 - June 2010, with the decline continuing in 2011. The parent publishing company is UBM Built Environment, a division of UBM.
- also known as The Builder
- Building: In mathematics, a building is a combinatorial and geometric structure which simultaneously generalizes certain aspects of flag manifolds, finite projective planes, and Riemannian symmetric spaces. Initially introduced by Jacques Tits as a means to understand the structure of exceptional groups of Lie type, the theory has also been used to study the geometry and topology of homogeneous spaces of p-adic Lie groups and their discrete subgroups of symmetries, in the same way that trees have been used to study free groups.
- also known as Bruhat–Tits building
- The building occupied by this entity. Note that this property is for the building itself, not simply the street address or mailing address.
- The building where the legislative assembly gathers.
Phrases with Building
Phrases starting with the word Building:
Phrases ending with the word Building:
- bank building
- farm building
- Main Building
- Pole Building
- ship building
- Green Building
- roman building
- telco building
- church building
- morale building
- muscle building
View more phrases with the word Building in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Building
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by FOLORUNSHO MEJABI
Where there is a lease of land and buildings and the title to the land is not transferred, generally the lease is treated as if (a) The land is a finance lease; the building is a finance lease. (b) The land is a finance lease; the building is an operating ...
Vol. I: The Global Proliferation of Regional Integration by Ludger Kühnhardt
Region~building is the geo~ political and geo~economic expression of this quest for identity.
Region~building is a process that requires political choices and actions, which inevitably are influenced by market developments and the effects of ...
Achievements and Future Directions for Training at IRRI by Imelda M. Revilla-Molina
Human capacity building is the heart and soul of IRRI's past and future.
The largest building is that designed for Manufactures and Liberal Arts. A. Page Brown, of San Francisco, was the architect. Its dimensions...
Based on the 1975 Mary Duke Biddle Lectures at the Cooper Union by Rudolf Arnheim
And once a particular building is the final target, there is no stopping at a particular stage of the designing, no point at which the "structural" turns into the " visual," no point at which essence gives way to "external" shape. The conception is ...
A Comprehensive Guide for Semiconductor and other Hazardous Occupancies by William R. Acorn
AGRICULTURAL BUILDING is a structure designed and constructed to house farm implements, hay, grain, poultry, livestock or other horticultural products. This structure shall not be a place of human habitation or a place of employment where ...
by Editorial Staff, State History Publications, LLC
The three-story May Realty Building is the city's best remaining interpretation of the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The main facade is an outstanding feature with elements in the cornice and second floor design that typify this style. It is noted ...
A-Z of Public Health (2014)
by Glenn Laverack
SEE ALSO asset-based community development; community; Health Impact Assessment; needs assessment Capacity building is a process that increases assets and attributes through increasing the knowledge, skills and competencies of the ...
Tiverton and Little Compton (1997)
by Nancy J. Devin, Richard V. Simpson
The building is a large, woodshingled, two-and-a-half-story hotel and restaurant, occupying a corner lot at the east end of what was once the Stone Bridge. The building is the third on this site. The once-fashionable resort catered to vacationers ...
Alabaster Cities (2006)
Urban U.S. Since 1950 by John R. Short
Producing Housing House building is an important sector of the U.S. economy.
Saving Europe (2015)
Anatomy of a Dream by Carlo Bastasin
The Bundesbank building is a dull glass and concrete complex on the outskirts of Frankfurt. It is so ugly that one of Weber's predecessors, Karl Otto Poehl, ascribed to it only one clear advantage: “It is the only place in Frankfurt from where you ...
An Unabridged Reprint of the 1901-2 Edition by Russell Sturgis, Francis A. Davis
All enneastyle building. The term is modern, made up to correspond with hexastylos, oktastylos, etc. ENSING1-IN, MATHIAS VON. (SeeMathias von Ensingen.) ENSING-EN, MORIZ 'VON. (See Moriz von Ensingen.) ENSINGEN, ULRICH VON.
by David H. Capie, Paul M. Evans
While there is widespread agreement that the aim of confidence- and security- building measures (CSBMs) is to reduce uncertainty, misperception, and suspicion, and thus help lessen the possibility of armed conflict, there is no commonly ...
391 Practical Case Studies by Kaiman Lee
TITLE CODE KEYWORDS AUTHOR DATE t STATUS LOCATION SCOPE TECHNIQUE MATERIAL AVAILABILITY REFERENCE CARY ARBORETUM ADMINISTRATION BUILDING ADMINISTRATION BUILDING ARBORETUM SOLAR PANEL ...
by John F. Mongillo, Linda Zierdt-Warshaw
sick building syndrome Bering Strait sick building syndrome, A condition in which building occupants experience acute health symptoms that do not fit the pattern of any particular DISEASE, appear to be linked to time spent in a particular ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Building
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about building
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Usage statistics for the noun building:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun building:
Photos about Building
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: illustir
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: valentin.d
Photo credit: Digiart2001 | jason.kuffer
Photo credit: Stenly Lam
Photo credit: matsuyuki
Photo credit: YJ-Lee
Photo credit: zimpenfish
Photo credit: someeda
Best Viewed Large On White
Photo credit: Ziggy_Mo
A neatly lit building at night
Photo credit: soupboy
Photo credit: ntoper
Near Old Street, London
Photo credit: johnpaulsimpson
Photo credit: Davide D'Amico
Photo credit: hirotomo
Photo credit: Photographing Travis
Photo credit: melycgcg
Building in downtown San Francisco
Photo credit: bgreenlee
- Building entropy
Building entropy, Buckeye, Arizona.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Building in the woods
This building is located in the beautiful woods of Elswout, near Amsterdam
Photo credit: MennoHabraken
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Building
Click on an item to play that video:
- ELL Conference 2012: Building Vocabulary for Teaching ELLs
Jennifer Hixson's presentation will focus on why vocabulary development is the most important part of English as a Second Language development; what ...
- Building Vocabulary Skills with Developmental College Students
Building Vocabulary Skills with Developmental College Students: Research Based Strategies, by Rosemary Carolan.
- Building Vocabulary
A teacher introduces and plays two vocabulary building games with her high school students.
- David Luis-Brown: "Building a Common Vocabulary"
David Luis-Brown, professor of English and cultural studies at Claremont Graduate University, gives a lecture entitled "Building a Common Vocabulary: W.E.B. ...
- Building Basic Vocabulary with Dr. Robert J. Marzano
See what Dr. Robert J. Marzano has to say about Building Basic Vocabulary! Learn more by visiting NGL.Cengage.com/BuildingBasicVocabulary.
- Word Smart Building a More Educated Vocabulary
- Rebecca Silverman: Building Strong Vocabulary
Dr. Rebecca Silverman, literacy consultant for the PBS animated series Martha Speaks, talks about how to strengthen children's vocabulary skills, through ...
- Building a Better Vocabulary | The Great Courses
- Building the idea of epsilon-delta definition
- Robert Marzano Building Academic Vocabulary
Short segment from the PD on Building Academic Vocabulary.
- Net Zero Energy Building Definition
Currently Myongji University's Zero Energy Design Research Group, with the investment provided by MOLIT, City of Seoul and Nowon District, also with research ...
- How to Test your Present Vocabulary Level - English Vocabulary Building - Session 3
Testing of present vocabulary, test of verbal speed and test of verbal responsiveness will help in knowing the current level of verbal capabilities and prepare ...
- Building Academic Vocabulary- Interactive Word Walls and Strategies- Grade 7
Middle school teacher explains how she has students create a word wall with student made designs. She explains how her students maintain the "living" word ...
- Effective Vocabulary Building
Learn tips on how to effectivley build your vocabulary from RMIT English Worldwide. Very helpful for foreign students studying in English. WEBSITE: ...
- Building Vocabulary featuring Tim Rasinski
Building Vocabulary provides a rigorous and systematic approach to teaching vocabulary using Greek and Latin prefixes, bases, and suffixes. Over 90% of ...
- Building Vocabulary Skills
In this video, Dr. Celeste Roseberry-McKibbin works to increase a student's knowledge of synonyms. Because the Common Core State Standards have such a ...
- Audiobook 1 Word Smart Building a More Educated Vocabulary
- Tips for building Vocabulary
This series on Vocabulary for Dummies covers some very effective tips and approaches for building a sound vocabulary. It will be followed by Videos on the ...
- #74) Building Vocabulary
[Greek/Hebrew: Accordance 9] Accordance Bible Software helps users learn biblical languages by generating frequency-sorted vocabulary lists for any text, ...
- Accent on Academics: Building Academic Vocabulary
Accent on Academics - Building Academic Vocabulary.
- The Language for Building - Pastor Funke Adejumo
Pastor Funke Adejumo ministering at Daystar Church - Lagos.
- Building Language Skills by Talking About Art
Use the arts to build ELL students' vocabulary.
- Building Language Through Play
These tips will help you learn ways to build your child's language at home by incorporating language skills, such as spacial concepts, sequencing, and building ...
- Building a Successful Language School in Japan
Dean Rogers talks about the struggles that he went through in starting his English language conversation school in Tokyo. He shares his experiences, tips, ...
- Building language learning habits - Claudio Santori Spadini at the Polyglot Gathering 2015
Claudio Santori is a life enthusiast. He is a lazy polyglot and he is looking for a way to learn languages without studying it. Here he speaks about techniques to ...
- Building Community in a Multi-Language Classroom
Isabella Yurkovetsky fosters language acquisition by integrating explicit vocabulary instruction into every part of her students' day. A visit to her classroom ...
- Lennart C. L. Kats: Effectively Building Language Tools
- Building A Multi Language Website
How to build a multi language wordpress site, if you need help...
- Building a Global Visual Language
The Noun Project is building a global visual language. Learn more by visiting thenounproject.com.
- The Drama Center: Building Oral Language and More
The classroom drama center is turned into a Pizza Parlor. Go to...
View more videos about The Building.
See also the pronunciation examples of Building!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learning Sign Language at Building Blocks Home Daycare
Children at Building Blocks Home Daycare learning sign language during circle time.
- Sign Language Directions from the Zoo to the Education Building
- Building bridges sign language
- ASL The 5 Building Block Framework for Language Access
- ASL Building Block Three Language Access
Quotes about Building
A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight. (Robertson Davies)
more quotes about building...
Scrabble value of B3U1I1L1D2I1N1G2
The value of this 8-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Building to see it in context!