The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb bung:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun bung
- Definition of the adjective bung
- Definition of the verb bung
- Phrases with Bung
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bung
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bung
- Photos about Bung
- Quotes about Bung
- Scrabble value of B3U1N1G2
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bung
What does bung mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bungs
- a plug used to close a hole in a barrel or flask
Alternative definition of the noun bung
- A stopper, alternative to a cork, often made of rubber used to prevent fluid passing through the neck of a bottle, vat, a hole in a vessel etc.
- A cecum or anus, especially of a slaughter animal.
- [slang] A bribe.
Specialised definition of the noun bung
Glossary of sports
an illicit fee paid to a football player, manager or agent to facilitate a player transfer (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
Definition of the adjective bung
What does bung mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- [Australian slang] broken, not in working order
Definition of the verb bung
What does bung mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: bunged | bunging | bungs
- give a tip or gratuity to in return for a service, beyond the compensation agreed on
- close with a cork or stopper
Alternative definition of the verb bung
- [transitive] To plug, as with a bung.
- [transitive, informal] To put somewhere without care; chuck.
- [transitive] To batter, bruise; to cause to bulge or swell.
- [transitive] To pass a bribe.
Bung is a musical group.
- album: "Cunning Bugger"
- Bung a.k.a. Aeksiri Gumbangphai is a Thai musician and the bassist of 25 Hours.
- read more about Aeksiri Gumbangphai
- Bung a.k.a. Siriyakorn Siriboon: Siriyakorn "Bung" Siriboon is a Melbourne schoolgirl who went missing on 2 June, 2011.
- read more about Siriyakorn Siriboon
Bung: A bung, stopper or cork is a truncated cylindrical or conical closure to seal a container, such as a bottle, tube or barrel. Unlike a lid, which encloses a container from the outside without displacing the inner volume, a bung is partially inserted inside the container to act as a seal.
- also known as Stopper
Phrases with Bung
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Bung
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Hardwood Record (1912)
The bung is the blushing violet of the wood specialty field.
by Herbert W. Ockerman, Conly L. Hansen
Beef bung is a casing prepared from the blind gut or caecum. The ileocecal valve is 45.7-91.4 cm (18-36 in) from the blind end. Black gut See Chitterling. Bladder is a casing prepared from the urinary bladder of cattle or pigs. Brine is common ...
Experimental Homebrewing (2014)
Breaking the Rules to Brew Great Beer by Drew Beechum, Denny Conn
The bung is a small round rubber piece that fits into the keg after you fill it.
The Pharmaceutical Era (1907)
A bung is a big ...
British and American by Eric Partridge
'Bung, c. a Purse, ...
by Nam Nguyen
Bung, n. Etym: [Cf. W. bwng orfice, bunghole, Ir. buinne tap, spout, OGael. buine.] 1. The large stopper of the orifice in the bilge of a cask. 2. The orifice in the bilge of a cask through which it is filled; bunghole. 3. A sharper or pickpocket.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Bung
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Bung
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Bung
Ye hae been smelling the bung.
more quotes about bung...
Scrabble value of B3U1N1G2
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Bung to see it in context!