The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb bung:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun bung
What does bung mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: bungs
- a plug used to close a hole in a barrel or flask
Alternative definition of the noun bung
- A stopper, alternative to a cork, often made of rubber used to prevent fluid passing through the neck of a bottle, vat, a hole in a vessel etc.
- A cecum or anus, especially of a slaughter animal.
- [slang] A bribe.
Specialised definition of the noun bung
Glossary of sports
an illicit fee paid to a football player, manager or agent to facilitate a player transfer (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
- usage: slang
Definition of the adjective bung
What does bung mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: -
- [Australian slang] broken, not in working order
Definition of the verb bung
What does bung mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: bunged | bunging | bungs
- give a tip or gratuity to in return for a service, beyond the compensation agreed on
- close with a cork or stopper
Alternative definition of the verb bung
- [transitive] To plug, as with a bung.
- [transitive, informal] To put somewhere without care; chuck.
- [transitive] To batter, bruise; to cause to bulge or swell.
- [transitive] To pass a bribe.
Bung is a musical group.
- album: "Cunning Bugger"
- Bung a.k.a. Aeksiri Gumbangphai is a Thai musician and the bassist of 25 Hours.
- read more about Aeksiri Gumbangphai
- Bung a.k.a. Siriyakorn Siriboon: Siriyakorn "Bung" Siriboon is a Melbourne schoolgirl who went missing on 2 June, 2011.
- read more about Siriyakorn Siriboon
Bung: A bung, stopper or cork is a truncated cylindrical or conical closure to seal a container, such as a bottle, tube or barrel. Unlike a lid, which encloses a container from the outside without displacing the inner volume, a bung is partially inserted inside the container to act as a seal.
- also known as Stopper