The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb calculate:
On this page:
- Definition of the verb calculate
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Calculate
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Calculate
- Photos about Calculate
- Video language resources about Calculate
- Quotes about Calculate
- Scrabble value of C3A1L1C3U1L1A1T1E1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb calculate
What does calculate mean as a doing word?
Calculate is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: calculated | calculating | calculates
- make a mathematical calculation or computation
- domain: math / mathematics / maths
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of calculate: cipher / compute / cypher / figure / reckon / work out
- more generic word: reason = think logically
- more specific terms:
- quantise / quantize = apply quantum theory to
- extract = calculate the root of a number
- process = perform mathematical and logical operations on (data) according to programmed instructions in order to obtain the required information
- prorate = divide or assess proportionally
- miscalculate / misestimate = calculate incorrectly
- recalculate = calculate anew
- average out / average = compute the average of
- factor out / factor in / factor = resolve into factors
- add together / add = make an addition by combining numbers
- subtract / take off / deduct = make a subtraction
- multiply = combine by multiplication
- fraction / divide = perform a division
- extrapolate / interpolate = estimate the value of
- differentiate = calculate a derivative
- integrate = calculate the integral of
- survey = plot a map of
- approximate / estimate / gauge / guess / judge = judge tentatively or form an estimate of
- budget = make a budget
- capitalise / capitalize = compute the present value of a business or an income
- resolve / solve = find the solution
- judge to be probable
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of calculate: count on / estimate / figure / forecast / reckon
- more generic terms: evaluate / judge / pass judgment = form a critical opinion of
- more specific terms: take into account / allow = allow or plan for a certain possibility
- keep an account of
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonym of calculate: account
- more specific words:
- predict in advance
- specifically design a product, event, or activity for a certain public
- have faith or confidence in
Alternative definition of the verb calculate
- [transitive] [mathematics] To determine the value of something or the solution to something by a mathematical process.
- [intransitive] [mathematics] To determine values or solutions by a mathematical process.
- [intransitive] To plan something, especially something morally wrong.
"Calculate" is a composition.
- music by Amon Tobin
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Calculate
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Enterprise Risk Management (2008)
A Methodology for Achieving Strategic Objectives by Gregory Monahan
A simple value you might calculate is the count of operational errors over a period. The list of useful calculated values includes (without exclusion) count, sum, average, standard deviation, minimum, and maximum. Calculating summary ...
Subsidizing Democracy (2013)
How Public Funding Changes Elections and How It Can Work in the Future by Michael G. Miller
Data from years following redistricting are excluded from the data used to calculate means in Figure 5.1, since the political conditions are often not readily clear in such circumstances. Figure 5.1 suggests that in both states, Clean Elections ...
by John M. Jarem, Partha P. Banerjee
In addition to the field amplitudes of the electric and magnetic fields, another important quantity to calculate is the time-averaged power that passes through any layer that is parallel to the material interface. This is explained in detail in the next ...
by Glen E. Clarke
The next thing to calculate is the broadcast address for each of the subnets. Remember that the broadcast address is all hostbitsset to 1.After converting all hostbitsto 1, convert the octets frombinaryto decimalformat. Octet 1 Octet 2 Octet 3 Octet ...
by Mark Dewayne
The easy one to calculate is the shoot days: one day for everybody. There will be less continuity in this category as the number ofproduction days increases. Some days ...
by Richard Bird
Basic considerations The basic idea is to construct a single function calculate with type calculate :: [Law] -> Expr -> Calculation The first argument of calculate is a list of laws that may be applied. Each law consists of a descriptive name ...
Why It Happens and What You Can Do About It by David L. Streiner, Souraya Sidani
then read the data, calculate means and medians or whatever, and send the results on to whoever needs them. This technological revelation coincided with some developments in clinical education. Traditionally, medical students in clinical ...
An Introduction with Statistical Applications by John J. Kinney
Chapter 7 Some Challenging Problems Expectations and Variances It is easy to calculate means and variances for various values of r. Since the sums used here are infinite, we approximate them with a finite number of terms. Exact results ...
by Wang, John
LITERATURE REVIEW There are various models to calculate the CLV of a customer or a cohort of customers, depending on the amount of data available and the type of company. Blattberg, Getz and Thomas (2001) calculated average CLV or ...
Volume 11 - Computer-Aided Process Analysis to Copyright by John J. McKetta Jr
x V x L x £ For the case of calculating a new performance in an existing exchanger, calculate the film coefficient inside the tubes and, knowing the face velocity and consequently rair, calculate k. Calculate R and find Z in the ...
By way of explanation, the initial aim is to use the data supplied by the defendant to calculate c0 and adjust this to take into account alcohol lost by metabolism between the first drink and the time of the road incident. This will provide the ...
by Henry Watson Fowler, Jeremy Butterfield
calculate. 1 Calculate makes calculable; see -able, ...
by Carrick Devine, M. Dikeman
Step 3: Calculate the ratio between the collagen content and the meat protein content Connective tissue % (CT%) = (Collagen%/PM) × 100 Step 4: Calculate the meat protein with the allowed collagen (a) If CT% < CTLIMIT% where CTLIMIT% ...
by William Winter Thorne
Calculate the number of days from the focal date to the date of eacli charge, or to the due date if it is a time charge. Multiply the amount of each charge by the number of days obtained. This gives the "product for averaging." Add the debit items ...
Ana - Ast
COMMISSION, &C It is frequently required to calculate allowances on sums of money, at the rate of so much per £100. Of this kind is Commission, or the allowance due to a factor for buying or selling goods, or transacting any other business ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Calculate
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Calculate
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Calculate
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation: how to calculate Eclipses
- Fast Calculate Magic Explanation
- Eight Trigrams Calculate Explanation G1189
- Calculate Meaning
Video shows what calculate means. To determine the value of something or the solution to something by a mathematical process.. To determine values or ...
- Using recursive definition to calculate terms of a sequence
Using the recursive formula to find the terms of a sequence.
- Dot Product: definition and how to calculate the angle between vectors.
- Pi How to Calculate, Everyday Life Use The Meaning of Pi Today 1940s
- Using the Factorial Definition to Calculate a Binomial Coefficient
- Find Definition of Any Word, Check Weather of Your City, Calculate on Google search
- Vocabulary: Calculate
- Live Explanation on how to calculate motion using tracker by Ruelo, Baguio, Vega
- Bond Pricing (present value) - Finance - How to calculate (formula) - Finance Dictionary
- Program to calculate area of circle in C Language
- ESL Center Tutorial: How to calculate final grades
See also the pronunciation examples of Calculate!
Quotes about Calculate
Scrabble value of C3A1L1C3U1L1A1T1E1
The value of this 9-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine