Calf appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Flaccid, I can assess an acidic calf.
- But a node calf is at Lebanon; on a belt as if laced on a tub.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun calf
What does calf mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: calves (animal) / calfs (less preferred form; animal) / calves (leg)
- young of domestic cattle
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic term: young mammal = any immature mammal
- more specific words:
- part: veal / veau = meat from a calf
- member of: Bos taurus / cattle / cows / kine / oxen = domesticated bovine animals as a group regardless of sex or age
- the muscular back part of the shank
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonym of calf: sura
- more generic terms: skeletal muscle / striated muscle = a muscle that is connected at either or both ends to a bone and so move parts of the skeleton
- more specific word: mid-calf = the middle of the calf
- part of: shank = the part of the human leg between the knee and the ankle
- gastrocnemius muscle / gastrocnemius = the muscle in the back part of the leg that forms the greater part of the calf
- soleus muscle / soleus = a broad flat muscle in the calf of the leg under the gastrocnemius muscle
- tendon of Achilles / Achilles tendon = a large tendon that runs from the heel to the calf
- fine leather from the skin of a calf
- young of various large placental mammals e.g. whale or giraffe or elephant or buffalo
Alternative definition of the noun calf
- A young cow or bull.
- A young elephant, seal or whale [also used of some other animals].
- A chunk of ice broken off of a larger glacier, ice shelf, or iceberg.
- A small island, near a larger island.
- A cabless railroad engine
- [anatomy] The back of the leg below the knee.
- The muscle in the back of the leg below the knee.
Phrases with calf
Phrases starting with the word calf:
- calf bone
- calf love
- calf roping
- Calf's Head
- calf's brain
- calf's liver
- calf's tongue
- calf's-foot jelly
Phrases ending with the word calf:
- box calf
- Bum Calf
- sea calf
- golden calf
- Kill the Fatted Calf
Calf on suomalainen rockyhtye, joka on perustettu vuonna 1998 Vantaan Korsossa.
- Samuli Sirviö since
- albums: "Laskuvarjot", "Kaksi maailmaa", "Missä koti on", "Laivoja ja junia"
There are other groups with calf in their name, like Startled Calf.
Calf is a fictional character from the 2010 film Bad Blood.
"Calf" is a composition.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for calf
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of the African Diaspora (2008)
Origins, Experiences, and Culture by Carole Boyce Davies
One such form is the rolling calf. This spirit is most often understood to be the duppy of a dishonest person (usually a shopkeeper) but has also come to include various bloodthirsty characters such as murderers and butchers. Rolling calves ...
The Cowboy Encyclopedia (1996)
by Richard W. Slatta
Calf roping is one rodeo event with very clear roots in actual ranch work. The event mimics the work done during roundup to ...
Encyclopedia of Medicine in the Bible and the Talmud (2000)
by Fred Rosner
CALF — A calf embryo was once observed like a bean in its amniotic sac (Jerushalmi Nazir7:5b) .
Children's Illustrated Encyclopedia (2010)
by DK Publishing
'BLUE WHALE CALF A baby blue whale ...
The Penguin Dictionary of Judaism (2008)
by Nicholas De Lange
golden calf In the Torah, molten image made by the Israelites as they waited at the foot of Mount Sinai for Moses to return from the top of the mountain with the stone tablets containing God's TEN COMMANDMENTS ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for calf
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about calf
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: tony_the_bald_eagle
Photo credit: asands
Photo credit: R0Ng
- Mother hippo and calf
Hippopotamus calf and his mother, sleeping side by side on the sand.
Picture taken in the zoo of Hanover, Germany.
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Highland Bull and Calf
In Vermont, along Route 7.
The Highland breed of cattle has a long and distinguished ancestry, not only in its homeland of western Scotland, but also in many far-flung parts of the world. One of Britain's oldest, most distinctive, and best known breeds, with a long, thick, flowing coat of rich hair and majestic sweeping horns, the Highlander has remained largely unchanged over the centuries. Written records go back to the 18th century and the Highland Cattle Herd Book, first published in 1885.
New folds, as herds of Highlanders are known, are founded every year both at home and abroad and in recent years Highland Cattle societies have been started in Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Germany, Holland, Finland, France, Switzerland and Norway and there are also Highlanders in Luxembourg, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Poland, and the Faroe Islands. In the British Isles folds are found from the furthest south to the extreme north on many different types of ground varying from the slopes of the Sussex Downs, the fenlands of East Anglia,to the windswept machars of the Outer Hebrides.
But it is on the vast areas of poor mountain land with high annual rainfall and bitter winds that Highland Cattle thrive and breed where no other cattle could exist Making the most of poor forage, calving outside and seldom, if ever, housed they make a real economic contribution to hill and upland areas.The breed is exceptionally hardy with a natural and unique ability to convert poor grazing efficiently. They are remarkable for their longevity: many Highland cows continue to breed to ages in excess of eighteen years having borne fifteen calves. They are great mothers. The versatility of the Highlander led to a great upsurge in exports to the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Austria, Holland and South America. Highland Cattle can be found foraging 10,000 feet up in the Andes.
Photo credit: Tony Fischer Photography
- Mother bison and calf
Bison calf and his mother, relaxing
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Cow & Calf Sunset
Sunset on the Cow and Calf Rocks overlooking Ilkley in Yorkshire UK.
Photo credit: James Whitesmith
- Moose calf
Moose calf resting in the midday sun, the mother was just off the frame to the right behind some bushes.
Photo credit: JanChr
- Calf Roper
Photo credit: micadew
- Calf branding at the Brighton Reservation
Local call number: JJS0594
Title: Calf branding at the Brighton Reservation
Date: October 19, 1949
Physical descrip: 1 transparency - col. - 4 x 5 in.
Series Title: Joseph Janney Steinmetz Collection
Repository: State Library and Archives of Florida, 500 S. Bronough St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-0250 USA.
- Musk ox and calf
The same musk ox as before, this time with he calf besides her.
Photo credit: Tambako the Jaguar
- Ilkley Moor Panorama from the Cow and Calf
Ilkley Moor 2014
Photo credit: CarlMilner
- Big Red Hairy Calf
At Pollok Country Park, Glasgow.
Photo credit: dun_deagh
- Calf with mother
Photo credit: stanzebla
- Calf of Man.
View of the Calf of Man from the coastal footpath.
Photo credit: idreamofdaylight
- Holstein Calf
Photo credit: Just chaos
- Jersey Calf
Photo credit: egrego2
- Killer whale calf
Photo credit: xeno_sapien
- Two-Headed Calf
Once considered an omen of disaster, most animals born with 2 heads or multiple limbs, die at birth. The occasional one, like this calf, however, live "normal" lives for many months.
Photo credit: cliff1066™
- Sweet calf
Photo credit: moneycoach
View more pictures about Calf Roping.
If you need images about calf for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a low price:
Video language resources about calf
Click on an item to play that video:
- How to get Definition and Size Calf Muscles Soleus & Gastrocnemius raises stretch at home
"Standing Step-up Bodyweight Calf Raises" build longer and larger calf muscles particularly the outermost muscle responsible for size and shape of your calve...
- Rodeo Calf Dressing - The Definition of Idiocy
Just when you think cruel rodeos can't be any more stupid, along comes calf dressing.
- A Definition Of Calf Scours
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = calf
- Standing Calf Raise- description and demonstration
See also the pronunciation examples of calf!
Quotes about calf
A calf is not found under an ox.
more quotes about calf...
Scrabble value of C3A1L1F4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CALF
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of calf!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of calf to see it in context!