The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun calibre:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun calibre
- Phrases with Calibre
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Calibre
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Calibre
- Photos about Calibre
- Video language resources about Calibre
- Quotes about Calibre
- Scrabble value of C3A1L1I1B3R1E1
- Anagrams of CALIBRE
- Share this page
Definition of the noun calibre
What does calibre mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: calibres
- a degree or grade of excellence or worth
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- alternative spelling: caliber
- synonym of calibre: quality
- more generic words: degree / grade / level = a position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality
- more specific terms:
- diameter of a tube or gun barrel
Alternative definition of the noun calibre
- Diameter of the bore of a firearm, typically measured between opposite lands.
- The diameter of round or cylindrical body, as of a bullet, a projectile, or a column.
- A nominal name for a cartridge type, which may not exactly indicate its true size and may include other measurements such as cartridge length or black powder capacity. Eg 7.62x39 or 38.40.
- Unit of measure used to express the length of the bore of a weapon. The number of calibres is determined by dividing the length of the bore of the weapon, from the breech face of the tube to the muzzle, by the diameter of its bore. A gun tube the bore of which is 40 feet (480 inches) long and 12 inches in diameter is said to be 40 calibers long.
- [figuratively] Relative size, importance, magnitude.
- [figuratively] Capacity or compass of mind.
- [dated]: Degree of importance or station in society.
Specialised definition of the noun calibre
Glossary of sports / equestrian
the body size of a horse (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
Glossary of sports / shooting
the inner diameter of the gun's or pistol's barrel also the outside diameter of the projectile, usually indicated in mm or inches. Weapons with a calibre up to 0.22 (0.22 inches = 5.6 mm) are labelled small calibre weapons. (Herbert Haag & Gerald Haag. 2003. Dictionary. Sport, Physical Education, Sport Science. Kiel, Institut für Sport und Sportwissenschaften)
calibre, a free and open-source e-book computer software application suite which runs on multiple platforms, allows users to manage e-book collections as well as to create, edit, and read e-books. It supports a variety of formats, e-book syncing with a variety of e-book readers, and conversion from different e-book and non-e-book formats.
Who is Calibre?
Calibre, birth name Dominick Martin, is a drum and bass and liquid funk, music producer and DJ hailing from Belfast, Northern Ireland. He started producing at a young age and has spent many years refining his sound. He is a classically trained musician, playing a variety of musical instruments. Martin started producing Drum and Bass in 1995 and his first signed release was credited under the now defunct Quadrophonic label owned by U2.
- also known as Dominick Martin; Martin, Dominick
- nationality: United Kingdom
- member of musical groups:
- read more about Calibre (composer)
- Calibre a.k.a. .calibre is a musical group.
- album: "Killthelogo"
- Calibre is a musical group.
- album: "O Jogo"
There are other groups with in their name, like Calibre 50.
"Calibre" is a book by Ken Bruen.
- also known as "Calibre (Sound Library)"
- genres: Fiction, Mystery, Suspense
- subjects: London, Police, Police procedural, England
"Calibre" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Jason Cambridge
CALIBRE is a 2011 and 2012 Telly Award winner.
- also known as CALIBRE Systems, Inc.
- some of the awards:
- Telly Award for Non-Broadcast Productions Film/Video - Children's Audience - "Discover Engineering: Extreme Enough?"
- Telly Award for Non-Broadcast Productions Film/Video - Children's Audience - "Discover Engineering: The Sum of all Thrills"
- Telly Award for Non-Broadcast Productions Film/Video - History/Biography - "America's First Force"
- Telly Award for Non-Broadcast Productions Film/Video - Public Relations - "Navy Sonar"
- official website: www.calibresys.com
Phrases with Calibre
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Calibre
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Calibre is a free and open source e-book library management application developed by users of e-books for users of e-books, and is easy to use. Basically, it's an ebook manager for your (soon to be) massive free library. You simply download ...
My Kindle Fire (2012)
by Jim Cheshire, Jennifer Ackerman Kettell
However, if you want to keep all your books together, sideloading through Calibre is the way to go. Instead of having books emailed directly to your Kindle, download your purchases onto your computer, add them to your Calibre library, and ...
The Law and the Market (1995)
by Megan Richardson, Philip L. Williams
That the conference brought together speakers and commentators of such high calibre is a reflection of the influence that Maureen Brunt has had both within and outside the academic community. The same also was shown by the attendance ...
by Sofia Graça, Kevin Lawton-Barrett, Martin O'Neill, Stephen Tong, Robert Underwood
Calibre is the measurement of the diameter of the barrel. In rifled weapons this figure is normally expressed in metric or imperial figures (eg 7.62 mm, 9 mm, . 38inch, .357inch). The units are readily convertible between the two measuring ...
Training of teachers (2010)
fourth report of session 2009-10. Oral and written evidence by Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons. Children, Schools and Families Committee
Intellectual calibre is an important characteristic and whilst there is no exact correlation between degree class and teaching ability, we are aware that those with lower degree classifications do sometimes find the intellectual demands of ...
A Systematic Treatise on the Theory and Practice of Surgery by John Ashhurst
The calibre should then be read off on the index. Next the instrument is to be gently and slowly withdrawn, and any points of obstruction noted, together with the calibre to which the bulb must be reduced in order to pass them. The advantages ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
calibre. S the button. f q groove of the tangent scale. These terms apply to every species of ordnance in which the parts enter, and may therefore be considered as a set of general definitions.
Biographical Notices, and Records of Naval Officers; Special Articles on Naval Art and Science
Rodman recommends that the beginning of the taper should be about half a calibre forward of that part in which occurs the most rapid diminution which the lawof pressure would give it. The exterior form and iroportions of the gun, as cast, are ...
by Julia Cresswell
calibre [M16th] This word, now meaning 'the quality of someone's character or ability' and 'internal diameter or bore of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Calibre
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Calibre
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Calibre
Click on an item to play that video:
- Lui calibre voice explanation
- Lui Calibre: Official Legend of Zelda 3 Timeline Explanation
- BCee - Typical Description (Ft. David Boomah) (Calibre Remix)
Spearhead Records boss Bcee brings in the flawless remixing talents of Calibre to put his twist on 'Typical Description' released 8th December. Support on ...
- BCEE - TYPICAL DESCRIPTION (CALIBRE REMIX)
See also the pronunciation examples of Calibre!
Quotes about Calibre
When I thought about the calibre of people in the room I realized we might just have a credible candidate for Mayor who will would finally enforce the laws of the city. It was almost too good to be true. (Herbert Baker)
more quotes about calibre...
Scrabble value of C3A1L1I1B3R1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CALIBRE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Calibre!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Calibre to see it in context!