On this page:
- Definition of the verb call for
- Phrases with call for
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for call for
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for call for
- Usage statistics about call for
- Photos about call for
- Video language resources about call for
- Quotes about call for
- Share this page
Definition of the verb call for
What does call for mean as a doing phrase?
- express the need or desire for
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of call for: ask for / bespeak / quest / request
- more generic terms: communicate / pass / pass along / pass on / put across = transmit information
- more specific terms:
- order = make a request for something
- ask = make a request or demand for something to somebody
- encore = request an encore, from a performer
- petition = write a petition for something to somebody
- demand = request urgently and forcefully
- appeal / invoke = request earnestly
- supplicate = ask for humbly or earnestly, as in prayer
- apply = ask
- solicit / beg / tap = make a solicitation or entreaty for something
- reserve = obtain or arrange (for oneself) in advance
- challenge = ask for identification
- beg off / excuse = ask for permission to be released from an engagement
- demand = ask to be informed of
- claim = ask for legally or make a legal claim to, as of debts, for example
- invite = request the participation or presence of
- ask in / invite = ask to enter
- desire = express a desire for
- beg = ask to obtain free
- lay claim / arrogate / claim = demand as being one's due or property
- ask round / ask over / invite = invite someone to one's house
- call = call a meeting
- invite out / take out / ask out / ask = make a date
- reserve / book / hold = arrange for and reserve (something for someone else) in advance
- require as useful, just, or proper
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of call for: ask / demand / involve / necessitate / need / postulate / require / take
- more specific terms:
- claim / exact / take = take as an undesirable consequence of some event or state of affairs
- govern = require to be in a certain grammatical case, voice, or mood
- draw = require a specified depth for floating
- cost = require to lose, suffer, or sacrifice
- cry out for / cry for = need badly or desperately
- compel = necessitate or exact
- request the participation or presence of
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - animal] [Verb] The dog barked [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Location] Birds sang in the trees [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Recipient] [Adjective] The rooster crowed everyone awake [Agent - animal] [Verb] [Theme] The dog barked a warning [Agent - animal] [Verb] at [Cause] The dog barked at the commotion [Agent - animal] [Verb] at / to / towards / for [Recipient] The dog barked at the cat [Location] [Verb] with [Agent] The tree sang with birds
Verbs of Sounds Made by Animals (with the same syntax): baa, bark, bay, bellow, blat, bleat, boom, bray, buzz, cackle, call, caw, chatter, cheep, chirp, chirrup, chitter, cluck, coo, croak, crow, cuckoo, drone, gobble, groan, growl, grunt, hee-haw, hiss, honk, hoot, howl, low, meow, mew, moan, moo, neigh, oink, peep, pipe, purr, quack, rattle, roar, rumble, screech, snarl, squawk, squeak, squeal, stridulate, thunder, trill, trumpet, tweet, twitter, ululate, wail, warble, wheeze, whimper, whine, whinny, whistle, woof, yap, yell, yelp, yip, yowl.
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonym of call for: invite
- more generic terms: ask for / bespeak / quest / request = express the need or desire for
- gather or collect
Alternative definition of the verb call for
- To shout out in order to summon (a person).
- To ask for in a loud voice.
- [figuratively] To request, demand.
- To necessitate, demand.
- To stop at a place and ask for (someone).
"Call For" a.k.a. "call for…" is a composition.
Phrases with call for
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for call for
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
With Full and Particular Instructions for Hawking, Hunting ... Riding, Cocking : with the Methods of Breeding, Curing, Dieting, and Ordering of Horses, Dogs, Pigeons, Cocks, Etc
Right Call for large Guinets. H h 4 Call call for Curlews. Call for Guinets. The Cock Lapwing coming. P L O.
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
call for fire — (*) A request for fire containing data necessary for obtaining the required fire on a target. (JP 3-09.1) call sign — (*) Any combination of characters or pronounceable words, which identifies a communication facility, ...
An essential guide for every tourist of the world by Christopher Bajger
Call for a doctor, please. English Rufen Sie bitte den Arzt. German Appelez le médecin, s'il vous plaît. French Llame usted al médico, por favor. Spanish Chiami il medico, per favore. Italian Proszę wezwać lekarza. Polish Zavolejte prosím ...
Encyclopedia of Arizona (1999)
by Nancy Capace
The election shall be held at least one hundred days but not more than one hundred twenty days after the call for the election. Except as otherwise provided in this section, for elections held under this section or section 6 of this article, the ...
by Diagram Group
yame Referee's call for temporary halt. tsurikomishi-ashi footsweep maneuver utsuri-goshi A maneuver known as countering. Motor Racing drag racing High speed events to record the fastest time ...
History, Policy, and Politics by Matthew J. Lindstrom
Thus, Commoner's call for equilibrium in the full range of social, economic, and environmental systems is more than a cri de coeur, but a strategy for human survival. Jonathan Bergman See also Environmental Justice; Nuclear Waste Policy ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for call for
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about call for
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb call for:
Photos about call for
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Call for blue
Probably not quite what was requested, but someone asked for blue. :)
Photo credit: kennymatic
- Last call for flight......
Photo credit: Georgie Pauwels
- Final Call for Daniel Bassett....
Photo credit: SarahElizabethC.
- Call for prayer
Photo credit: TAHA KREWI
- Call for Ghostbusters!
Three urban ghosts in Berlin
Photo credit: mripp
- Headlight Call For Submissions
Photo credit: shannonmessy
View more pictures about Call for Help.
Video language resources about call for
Click on an item to play that video:
- Azaan - Muslim call for Prayer with English meaning as Subtitles
This video is for people of all faiths who wants to listen and understand the meaning of Azaan (or Adhan), the Muslim call for prayer, being called from a Mosque ...
- C.V does not call for an explanation in order not to hinder the UN session
CV does not call for an explanation in order not to hinder the UN session CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR LATEST NEWS UPDATES ...
- Cappuccino with Claudio Ronco: 69. Summit on CRRT terminology: a call for standardization
Professor Ronco announces the Vicenza Summit on CRRT teminology and nomenclature with participation of all machine manufacturers and memebrs of ...
- Officials Call for Explanation of George Washington Bridge Lane Closures
After several lanes leading to the George Washington Bridge were inexplicably closed last month, officials are demanding answers. For more New Jersey news, ...
- Baltimore Presbyterians Call For New Definition Of Marriage
Members of a Presbyterian denomination in Baltimore are asking the national organization to redefine marriage to permit same-sex couples. John Sherman ...
- Idiom: DRASTIC TIMES CALL FOR DRASTIC MEASURES
The idiom DRASTIC TIMES CALL FOR DRASTIC MEASURES defined by Oscar from Cambridge in the United Kingdom. English Language Newspaper: ...
- Call for clearer life insurance churn definition | Money Management
By Money Management Industry discussion in relation to what constitutes 'churning' in life insurance needs to be replaced with a debate on a sustainable ...
- Desperate times call for desperate measures Meaning
Video shows what desperate times call for desperate measures means. In adverse circumstances actions that might have been rejected under other ...
- Call for Meaning
Video shows what call for means. To shout out in order to summon (a person).. To ask for in a loud voice.. To request, demand.. Call for Meaning. How to ...
- "Love Language" Call For Sponsors: Support the American Society for Deaf Children
Sign up to become a sponsor by emailing [email protected] Sponsors will be asked to donate 1 penny per view for the month of November.
- Call For Action - Start A Language Group In Your School/University
- Call For - Phrasal Verbs - ESL British English Pronunciation
- Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language
Seattle officials call for ban on 'potentially offensive' language. Legal Analysis with New York Attorney Adam Thompson on Fox News 8/2/13.
- Casting call for old trails rrrreeeaaaddd description!
- St.Fatima Language School (heliopolis)- a call for forgiveness
- Campaigners call for tougher language laws for private companies
- EIDHR Call for Proposals English language
- #avast language support call for online support #1 855 525 4632
- THERE IS NO CALL FOR THAT KIND ON LANGUAGE LADE
See also the pronunciation examples of call for!
Quotes about call for
Take the situation of a scientist solving a problem, where he has certain data, which call for certain responses. Some of this set of data call for his applying such and such a law, while others call for another law. (George Herbert Mead)
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of call for to see it in context!