Can appears in many tongue twisters:
- How can a clam cram in a clean cream can?
- I would if I could! But I can't, so I won't!
- Can you can a can as a canner can can a can?
Can appears in the following pangrams (sentences using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Jacky can now give six big tips from the old quiz. (39 letters)
- How razorback-jumping frogs can level six piqued gymnasts! (Used for font samples by the Macintosh computers, System 7 era; 49 letters)
Can appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Can I attain a 'C'?
- Evil, in a can I live.
- Mike, can Ellen ace Kim?
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun can:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb can:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun can
- Definition of the verb can
- Phrases with Can
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Can
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Can
- Photos about Can
- Videos about Can
- Sign language
- Quotes about Can
- Scrabble value of C3A1N1
- Anagrams of CAN
- Share this page
The word can is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun can
What does can mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cans
- airtight sealed metal container for food or drink or paint etc.
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of can: tin / tin can
- more generic word: container = any object that can be used to hold things
- more specific terms:
- the quantity contained in a can
- a buoy with a round bottom and conical top
- the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of can: arse / ass / backside / behind / bottom / bum / buns / butt / buttocks / derriere / fanny / fundament / hind end / hindquarters / keister / nates / posterior / prat / rear / rear end / rump / seat / stern / tail / tail end / tooshie / tush
- more generic term: body part = any part of an organism such as an organ or extremity
- part of: body / torso / trunk = the body excluding the head and neck and limbs
- a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of can: commode / crapper / pot / potty / stool / throne / toilet
- more generic term: plumbing fixture = a fixture for the distribution and use of water in a building
- more specific terms:
- part of: bathroom = a room (as in a residence) containing a bathtub or shower and usually a washbasin and toilet; bathroom / john / lav / lavatory / privy / toilet = a room or building equipped with one or more toilets
- a room or building equipped with one or more toilets
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonyms of can: bathroom / john / lav / lavatory / privy / toilet
- more generic word: room = an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling
- more specific terms:
- part: commode / crapper / throne / toilet / potty / stool / pot = a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination
Alternative definition of the noun can
- A more or less cylindrical vessel for liquids, usually of steel or aluminium.
- synonym: tin [British & Australian at least]
- A container used to carry and dispense water for plants (a watering can).
- A tin-plate canister, often cylindrical, for preserved foods such as fruit, meat, or fish.
- [US, slang] toilet, bathroom.
- [US, slang] buttocks.
- [slang] headphones
Definition of the verb can
What does can mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: canned, canning
- preserve in a can or tin
- example: The chefs can the vegetables
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula Verbs with the same syntax [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] I fired two secretaries Verbs of Removing: dismiss, drop, expel, fire, force out, oust, remove, sack, send away, unseat [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] I fired him as my chief of staff [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] I fired two secretaries from the company [Agent - human or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Lydia pocketed the change Verbs of Putting: archive, bag, bank, beach, bed, bench, billet, bin, bottle, box, cage, case, cellar, cloister, coop, corral, crate, file, fork, garage, hangar, house, imprison, jail, jar, jug, kennel, pasture, pen, pillory, pocket, pot, sheathe, shelve, shoulder, skewer, snare, spindle, spit, spool, string, tassel, tin, trap, tree, warehouse [Agent - human or organization] [Verb] [Theme] in / on / under [Location] Lydia pocketed the change in her left pocket
- domain: cookery / cooking / preparation
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- synonyms of can: put up / tin
- more generic words: keep / preserve = prevent (food) from rotting
- terminate the employment of; discharge from an office or position
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] I fired two secretaries [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] as [Predicate, not sentential clause] I fired him as my chief of staff [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] I fired two secretaries from the company
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonyms of can: dismiss / displace / fire / force out / give notice / give the axe / give the sack / sack / send away / terminate
- more generic word: remove = remove from a position or an office
- more specific terms:
Specialised definition of the verb can
Glossary of sports / golf
to make a putt
- Can a.k.a. Canada is a country in North America consisting of ten provinces and three territories. Located in the northern part of the continent, it extends from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean. At 9.98 million square kilometres in total, Canada is the world's second-largest country by total area and the fourth-largest country by land area. Its common border with the United States forms the world's longest land border.
- also known as Canuckistan, Dominion of Canada
- founded on (148 years ago)
- part of North America, Americas, DVD Region 1
- instance of: North American country / North American nation = any country on the North American continent
- Baffin Island = the 5th largest island and the largest island of Arctic Canada
- Laurentian Highlands / Laurentian Plateau / Canadian Shield = a large plateau that occupies more than 40% of the land area of Canada
- Canadian Maritime Provinces / Maritime Provinces / Maritimes = the collective name for the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island
- Alberta = one of the three prairie provinces in western Canada
- British Columbia = a province in western Canada
- Manitoba = one of the three prairie provinces in central Canada
- Newfoundland and Labrador = a Canadian province on the island of Newfoundland and on the mainland along the coast of the Labrador Sea
- Northwest Territories = a large territory in northwestern Canada
- Nunavut = an Arctic territory in northern Canada created in 1999 and governed solely by the Inuit
- Arctic Archipelago = all the islands that lie to the north of mainland Canada and the Arctic Circle
- Ontario = a prosperous and industrialized province in central Canada
- Quebec = the largest province of Canada
- Saskatchewan = one of the three prairie provinces in west central Canada
- Yukon Territory / Yukon = a territory in northwestern Canada
- Columbia River / Columbia = a North American river; rises in southwestern Canada and flows southward across Washington to form the border between Washington and Oregon before emptying into the Pacific
- Great Lakes = a group of five large, interconnected lakes in central North America
- Hudson Bay = an inland sea in northern Canada
- Labrador-Ungava Peninsula / Labrador Peninsula = a peninsular region of eastern Canada between Hudson Bay and the Labrador Sea
- Mackenzie River / Mackenzie = a Canadian river
- Niagara River / Niagara = a river flowing from Lake Erie into Lake Ontario
- Ottawa river / Outaouais / Ottawa = a river in southeastern Canada that flows along the boundary between Quebec and Ontario to the Saint Lawrence River near Montreal
- Saint Lawrence River / St. Lawrence River / Saint Lawrence / St. Lawrence = a North American river
- Yukon River / Yukon = a North American river that flows westward from the Yukon Territory through central Alaska to the Bering Sea
- member of: British Commonwealth / Commonwealth of Nations = an association of nations consisting of the United Kingdom and several former British colonies that are now sovereign states but still pay allegiance to the British Crown; NATO / North Atlantic Treaty Organization = an international organization created in 1949 by the North Atlantic Treaty for purposes of collective security; British Empire = a former empire consisting of Great Britain and all the territories under its control; reached its greatest extent at the end of World War I; it included the British Isles, British West Indies, Canada, British Guiana
- member: Canadian = a native or inhabitant of Canada
- read more about Canada (country)
- Can a.k.a. Çan is a town and district of Çanakkale Province in the Marmara region of Turkey. According to the 2010 census, population of the district is 50,669 of which 28,808 live in the town of Çan. The district covers an area of 907 km², and the town lies at an elevation of 129 m.
- read more about Çan (town)
- CAN a.k.a. Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport is the main airport of Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong province, China. Both airport codes were inherited from the old airport, and the IATA code reflects Guangzhou's former romanization Canton. It is the main hub of China Southern Airlines and a focus city for Shenzhen Airlines and Hainan Airlines.
- read more about Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
- Can a.k.a. Irmin Schmidt is a German keyboardist and composer, best known as a founding member of the band Can.
- read more about Irmin Schmidt
- Can a.k.a. Candice Cook is an actress.
- read more about Candice Cook (actress)
- Can is a film score composer.
- also known as The Can
- profession: Film score composer
CAN was a German experimental rock band formed in Cologne, West Germany, in 1968. Later labeled as one of the first krautrock groups, they transcended mainstream influences and incorporated strong minimalist and world music elements into their often psychedelic music.
- Holger Czukay (Bass guitar) between and (9 years)
- Holger Czukay (Bass guitar) between and (5 years)
- Michael Karoli (Guitar) between and (11 years)
- Michael Karoli (Guitar) between and (5 years)
- Jaki Liebezeit (Drums) between and (11 years)
- Jaki Liebezeit (Drums) between and (5 years)
- Irmin Schmidt (Keyboard) between and (11 years)
- Irmin Schmidt (Keyboard) between and (5 years)
- David C. Johnson (Reeds) between and
- Malcolm Mooney (Vocals) between and
- Malcolm Mooney (Vocals) in
- Malcolm Mooney (Vocals) in
- Damo Suzuki (Vocals) between and (2 years)
- Rosko Gee (Bass guitar) between and (2 years)
- Rebop Kwaku Baah (Percussion) between and (2 years)
- genres: Krautrock, Experimental rock, Psychedelic rock, Progressive rock, Ambient music, Electronic music, Avant-garde music, Rock music
- albums: "Monster Movie", "Soundtracks", "Tago Mago", "Ege Bamyasi", "Future Days", "Soon Over Babaluma", "Landed", "Flow Motion", "Silent Night", "Unlimited Edition", "Can / Out of Reach", "Delay 1968", "Cannibalism", "Rite Time", "Hoolah Hoolah", "The Peel Sessions", "Radio Waves", "Cannibalism 2", "Can Live: Music (Live 1971-1977)", "Anthology", "CAN", "Prehistoric Future", "Sacrilege", "Saw Delight", "I Want More", "Can-Can", "Moonshake", "Cannibalism 3", "Limited Edition", "Opener", "Incandescence", "The Lost Tapes", "They Doo Right Live", "Horrortrip in the Paperhouse", "Turtles Have Short Legs / Halleluwah", "Spoon", "Vitamin C", "Can DVD", "Can & Harald "Sack" Ziegler"
- award: - Echo Award for Lifetime Achievement Award
- official website: mute.com/artists/can
- Can: Yas Can is a fictional character from the 2012 film Can.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2002 TV series Canım Kocacım.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2005 film Sensiz olmuyor.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2011 film Zenne Dancer.
- Can is a fictional character from the 1998 crime drama film Dealer.
- Can is a fictional character from the television series Akasya Durağı.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2009 film Dark Cloud.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2012 film Heiter bis wolkig.
- Can is a fictional character from the 1978 film The Girl with the Red Scarf.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2011 television series Adını Feriha Koydum.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2008 film The Heaven.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2007 film Can.
- Can is a fictional character from the 2013 film Lifelong.
"CAN": Can, also known as Inner Space, is the eleventh studio album by Can, released in 1979. Former bassist Holger Czukay's involvement with this album is limited to tape editing. It is Can's last album before the reunion album Rite Time ten years later and was released after the band's break-up.
- also known as The Legendary Can, Inner Space, CAN (Inner Space)
- genre: Krautrock
- released in (38 years ago)
- "Can" is a 2012 drama film written and directed by Rasit Çelikezer.
- country: Turkey
- language: Turkish Language
- director: Raşit Çelikezer
- producer: Raşit Çelikezer
- art direction by Ayşen Gürevin Karaytuğ
- written by Raşit Çelikezer
- based on a story by Nüans Çelikezer & Raşit Çelikezer
- Selen Uçer as Ayşe
- Serdar Orçin as Cemal
- Yusuf Berkan Demirbağ as Can
- Erkan Avcı as Ali
- Zeynep Yalçın as Serap
- Cengiz Bozkurt as Fevzi
- İdil Yener as Mükerrem
- Serhat Nalbantoğlu as İsmail
- Erdal Cindoruk as Mehmet Usta
- Sait Genay as Yaşlı
- Nisa Melis Telli as Merve
- Kürşat Alnıaçık as Doktor
- Güray Görkem as Sait
- Cem Baza as 2. Doktor
- Özgür Düşmez as Komiser
- Fatih Tavas as Sahildeki Genç
- Burak Efe as Can
- Hayrettin Ege Mühür as Mükerrem
- Eren Kırkıl as Mükerrem
- Havva Seziş as Temizlikçi Kadın
- music by Tamer Çıray
- genre: Drama
- released on
- read more about Can (film)
- "Can" is a 2007 romance drama film written by Müberra Durgut, Oguz Eruzun and Serdar Tantekin and directed by Oguz Eruzun.
- starring: Tuğçe Kazaz as Can
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Can" is a 2010 short film directed and produced by Arshad khan.
Can a.k.a. Beverage can: A beverage can is a metal container designed to hold a fixed portion of liquid such as carbonated soft drinks, alcoholic beverages, fruit juices, teas, herbal teas, energy drinks, etc. Beverage cans are made of aluminium or tin-plated steel. Worldwide production for all beverage cans is approximately 475 billion cans per year worldwide, 52 billion per year in Europe.
- read more about Beverage can
- CAN a.k.a. NACSO: The Namibian Association of Community Based Natural Resource Management Support Organisations is an association comprising 15 Non-Government Organisations and the University of Namibia. The purpose of NACSO is to provide quality services to rural communities seeking to manage and utilize their natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- read more about NACSO
- Can a.k.a. argP is a gene.
- can is a gene.
- Can a.k.a. The Chambri language is spoken by the Chambri people of Papua New Guinea. Spellings in the older anthropological literature include Tchambuli, Tshamberi.
- also known as Tchambuli, Tshamberi
- Can is a print ad.
- Can is a 2013 Telly Award winning ad, created by Ames Scullin O'Haire for Georgia Gives.
- award: - Telly Award for Local TV & Local Cable Commercial - Fund Raising and Appeals, received by Ames Scullin O'Haire
- can is a genomic locus.
- Can is a file format.
- Can a.k.a. nucleoporin 214kDa is a gene.
- also known as nuclear pore complex protein Nup214; OTTHUMP00000064563; CAN protein, putative oncogene; p250; nucleoporin 214kD (CAIN)
Phrases with Can
Phrases starting with the word Can:
Phrases ending with the word Can:
Other phrases containing the word Can:
View more phrases with the word Can in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Can
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
CAN is the impairment of cardiovascular autonomic control in the setting of diabetes after exclusion of other causes,” scientists in...
CAN is a risk marker of mortality and cardiovascular morbidity, and possibly a progression promoter of diabetic ...
by Sunit Kumar Sen
CAN is a serial communication bus protocol standardized by the International Standards Organization (ISO). It does not use a master–slave or a token-passing method to access the bus. Instead it uses a unique bus access control method, ...
Dictionary of Philosophy (2002)
by Alan Lacey
Any view involving doubt about whether something exists, or about whether we can know something, or about whether we are justified in arguing in certain ways. Throughout the ages many philosophers have held that unless we know some ...
by Ross M. Mullner
Based on benchmarking results, best practices can be identified and adopted, thus achieving superior performance. Benchmarking is useful in healthcare for both operational and ...
by Carolyn Watters
Any station can send a message (or packet) whenever it is ready. It then waits long enough for a message to get to the receiving station and an acknowledgment to get back. If no acknowledgment is received, it then repeats the message or ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Can
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Can
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jonas B
Samsung digital camera
Photo credit: www.metaphoricalplatypus.com
Photo credit: Grimboy
Photo credit: Yandle
Photo credit: allyferland12
This work by nrkbeta.no is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Norway License.
Photo credit: nrkbeta
Photo credit: midnightcomm
- Spam can
A can of Spam
Photo credit: balise42
- Coke Can
Picture of Coke Can
Photo credit: vwb5
- Aluminum Can
Daniel F. Cudzik
Beverage Can with Non-Removable Pull-Tab Opener ("Stay-On Tab"), 1975
Photo credit: patrickd
- Can't Touch This.
Photo credit: FunGi_ (Trading)
- Can Pastilla by night
Photo credit: GillyBerlin
- Can o' Bin
Photo credit: Orin Zebest
- Pepsi can
Photo credit: wiennat
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Can
Click on an item to play that video:
- Collapsing Can Explanation
Made with Explain Everything.
- When memory misses a beat, music can offer dementia patients new meaning
Special correspondent Judy Muller reports on a band of musicians who also have Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and dementia. They use music to stay active, socially ...
- Beach Slang - Can't Hardly Wait (Replacements Cover)
Live at Pouzza Fest. Montreal, QC. 15 May 2015.
- Can - Can't Grammar explanation
- Can thyroid problems cause headaches - Video Explanation
- Installation and explanation of a PCV catch can on a LS engine
If you ever wondered if you should use a catch can for your ride, check this clip out.... all your questions will be answered...
- Ford Everest Oil Catch Can Explanation
Ford Everest Oil Catch Can Explanation.
- Slang - Can`t Hide Love TVR "Taverna" 2004
TVR - Taverna Slang 2004 line-up: Luiza Zan - Vocals Razvan Boroda - Keyboards Adalbert Cherkez - Guitars Dan Saghin - Bass Felix Moldovan - Percussion ...
- Rollback Can Explanation
- How Plants Can Bring Feng Shui Meaning to Your Garden
How can plants nourish your life and positively affect your luck? Plants have meanings from Feng Shui, Chinese and other cultures that can help you to invite ...
- No or Can't - Words that Should NOT be in your vocabulary. Here is why.
- Dude Can't Understand The Meaning Of The Word Boo In " Birthday Bash "
Watch Full Movie On...
- Modal verb Can - English Language
- Abilities/ Modal Auxiliary Verb Can - English Language
Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net.
- AMAZING TODDLER CAN SPEAK AFRICAN LANGUAGE
JP is two and a half years old and can speak Xhosa fluently. He travels to Khayelitsha with his parent's house keeper, on a regular basis. Khayelitsha is a very ...
- Business English Speakers Can Still Be Divided by a Common Language
This is the VOA Special English Economics Report , from...
- How Mindmaps can help you learn a language
Tony Buzan, inventor of MindMaps, explains how this memory technique can help you master learning a language. This time you will remember!
- What Sherpa kids can teach us about language
Tashi deleg! University of Melbourne graduate student Sara Ciesielski explains how children growing up in the Sherpa culture learn a lot more than words from ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Can!
Can't Stand It - NeverShoutNever! - American Sign Language
Song: Can't Stand It by NeverShoutNever!, from the What Is Love? album (owned by Warner Bros. Records, released January 26, 2010). [WARNING: SONG ...
Quotes about Can
My parents- I can chide; can you?
My children- I can scold; can you?
My wife-I can rule; can you?
My religion- I can ride; can you?
When you do I become their part.
19.09.2007 (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about can...
Scrabble value of C3A1N1
The value of this 3-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Can!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Can to see it in context!