The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb cancel:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cancel
- Definition of the verb cancel
- Phrases with Cancel
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cancel
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cancel
- Photos about Cancel
- Video language resources about Cancel
- Quotes about Cancel
- Scrabble value of C3A1N1C3E1L1
- Anagrams of CANCEL
- Share this page
Cancel is sometimes a misspelling of cancelled.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cancel
What does cancel mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cancels
- a notation cancelling a previous sharp or flat
Alternative definition of the noun cancel
- A cancellation (US); (nonstandard in some kinds of English).
- [internet] A control message posted to Usenet that serves to cancel a previously posted message.
- [obsolete] An inclosure; a boundary; a limit.
- [printing] The suppression on striking out of matter in type, or of a printed page or pages.
Definition of the verb cancel
What does cancel mean as a doing word?
Cancel is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: cancelled, cancelling
- postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled
- make up for
- lexical domain: Stative - verbs of being, having, spatial relations
- synonyms of cancel: offset / set off
- more generic words: balance / equilibrate / equilibrise / equilibrize = bring into balance or equilibrium
- more specific words: counterbalance / countervail / counteract / neutralize = oppose and mitigate the effects of by contrary actions
- declare null and void; make ineffective
- example: Cancel the election results
- lexical domain: Activities - verbs of political and social activities and events
- synonym of cancel: strike down
- more generic words: adjudge / declare / hold = declare to be
- more specific terms:
- remove or make invisible
- lexical domain: Contact - verbs of touching, hitting, tying, digging
- synonym of cancel: delete
- more generic terms: remove / take / take away / withdraw = remove something concrete, as by lifting, pushing, or taking off, or remove something abstract
- more specific terms:
- make invalid for use
Alternative definition of the verb cancel
- [transitive] To cross out something with lines etc.
- [transitive] To invalidate or annul something.
- [transitive] To mark something (such as a used postage stamp) so that it can't be reused.
- [transitive] To offset or equalize something.
- [transitive] [mathematics] To remove a common factor from both the numerator and denominator of a fraction, or from both sides of an equation.
- [transitive] [media] To stop production of a programme.
"CANCEL" is a musical album of Minako Honda.
- released on (28 years ago)
- Cancel is a website.
- official website: stateofillinois.us/people/Cancel
- Cancel: Postpone indefinitely or annul something that was scheduled.
Phrases with Cancel
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cancel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Dictionary of the Book (2016)
A Glossary for Book Collectors, Booksellers, Librarians, and Others by Sidney E. Berger
says, “A cancel is any part of a book substituted...
by Richard Mansfield
Here, Cancel is a required argument specifying event status. The default setting is False, which specifies that the control involved should handle the event and that the focus will pass to the next control; a setting of True ...
Crabb's English Synonymes (1917)
by George Crabb
cancel is the act of a person, and always the fruit of design: obliterate is the fruit of accident and circumstances in general; time itself may obliterate characters on ...
Silverlight 2 Unleashed (2008)
by Laurent Bugnion
cancel is a utility method, called by the handleCancelClicked event handler and by the checkErrorMessage method. It hides the login dialog and resets its state.
by Paul W. Ross
Cancel Exception act that ends a workflow, moving it into the Canceled state. Cancel is an act that the customer can take at any moment of the workflow.
Java Concurrency in Practice (2006)
by Tim Peierls, Brian Goetz, Joshua Bloch, Joseph Bowbeer, Doug Lea, David Holmes
cancel means that the task thread can ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
waterways Canary Islands—Tenerife, Gram Canaria, Fuerte Ventura, Lanzarote, Gomera, La Balma, Hierro Cancel—abolish, annul, wipe, scrub, call off, pull the plug on, revoke Cancel a debt—write off Cancel a law—annul, quash, repeal, ...
by Library of Congress. Catalog Division, Mary Wilson MacNair
Cancel reference to New England theology. Camp fire girls. - HS3353.C3 Cañute (Game ) *Carancahua Indians, See Karankawan Indians. Change to See Karankawa Indians.
by David E. Marcinko, MBA, CFP, CMP
In life and noncancelable health insurance, the company generally may not cancel a policy, except under certain conditions, for nonpayment of premiums. CANCELLATION PROVISION: A provision in a health policy that allows the insurance ...
by Louisa Pansegrouw
Palma Canary lsland volcano Tenequia canary wine malmsey canary yellow meline can be beaten vincible can be ploughed arable can be taken for granted assumable cancel abolish, abort, abrogate, absolve, annul, avoid, cease, delete, ...
Over 2,600 Essential Financial Terms by Simon Briscoe, Jane Fuller
cancel. former. order. CFO Type of order given to a broker. Categories: Futures, Commodities 201...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
hoax, lie, rumor, spoof, swindle canary: bird, dance, fink, informer, singer, songbird, squealer, stoolie, wine, yellow canary's kin: serin cancel: abolish, abort, abrogate, annul, ax, call off, dele, delete, drop, efface, end, erase, invalidate, negate, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cancel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cancel
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cancel
Click on an item to play that video:
- SM63 Star/Key Cancel Explanation
- Pen cancel explanation IR'14 Fleet B Race 6 Fix vs BatBoat
- Cancel Meaning
Video shows what cancel means. To cross out something with lines etc.. To invalidate or annul something.. To mark something (such as a used postage stamp) ...
- Cancel The Cabal's third nightly show, and the explanation of the Ad Hominem Fallacy
- Cancel the Truth, Only Produce Fiction explanation
- Smash 4 Advanced Tech: Dash Grab Cancel Glide Toss (CHECK DESCRIPTION)
This video showcases Mega Man's ability to psuedo wavedash, or Dash grab cancel glide toss(DGCGT) . The way to do it is as follows: Dash, Z(Grab), C stick ...
- 31 Lock and Cancel Description
- How to cancel the language course 2nd semester
- The Verb "To Cancel." Latino SPANGLISH.
- Migos x Rae Sremmurd Type Beat "Drum Language" | (Prod. Don Cancel)
2015 Migos X Rae Sremmurd Type Beat "Drum Language" | (Prod. Don) THIS IS NOT THE FULL BEAT (Click link below to listen to the full beat) Purchase this ...
- Cancel EFL laws says expert panel to Kerala Government
See also the pronunciation examples of Cancel!
Quotes about Cancel
The Moving Finger writes and, having writ, Moves on nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line, Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it. (Omar Khayyam)
more quotes about cancel...
Scrabble value of C3A1N1C3E1L1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine