The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun cancer:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cancer
- Phrases with Cancer
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cancer
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cancer
- Photos about Cancer
- Video language resources about Cancer
- Sign language
- Quotes about Cancer
- Scrabble value of C3A1N1C3E1R1
- Anagrams of CANCER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cancer
What does cancer mean as a name of something?
Cancer is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural:
- cancer: cancers
- Cancer: Cancers
- any malignant growth or tumor caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division; it may spread to other parts of the body through the lymphatic system or the blood stream
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of cancer: malignant neoplastic disease
- more generic terms: malignant neoplasm / malignant tumor / metastatic tumor = a tumor that is malignant and tends to spread to other parts of the body
- more specific terms:
- lymphoma = a neoplasm of lymph tissue that is usually malignant
- carcinoma = any malignant tumor derived from epithelial tissue
- cancer of the blood / leucaemia / leukaemia / leukemia = malignant neoplasm of blood-forming tissues; characterized by abnormal proliferation of leukocytes
- sarcoma = a usually malignant tumor arising from connective tissue
- (astrology) a person who is born while the sun is in Cancer
- a small zodiacal constellation in the northern hemisphere; between Leo and Gemini
- the fourth sign of the zodiac; the sun is in this sign from about June 21 to July 22
- type genus of the family Cancridae
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Cancer: genus Cancer
- more generic term: arthropod genus = a genus of arthropods
- member of: Cancridae / family Cancridae = many of the best known edible crabs
Alternative definition of the noun cancer
- Someone with a Cancer star sign
- synonym: Cancerian
Specialised definition of the noun cancer
Glossary of healthcare / oncology
a malignant tumor
- Cancer are a British death/thrash metal band formed in Ironbridge, Telford, Shropshire in 1988. Over the course of their career, they released five full-length albums, including one for the major label East West, and broke up twice. As of September 2013, Cancer have reformed once again.
- Cancer is a German punk band.
- albums: "Family, Music, Me"
There are other groups with in their name, like Cancer Bats, Cancer Moon, Cancer Barrack, Tropic of Cancer, The Cancer Conspiracy, The Cancer Conspiracy., Artists Stand Up to Cancer and Dinah Cancer and the Grave Robbers.
- "Cancer" is the first full-length studio album by Australian hardcore/metalcore band Confession, released on 10 September 2009, through Resist Records.
- "Cancer" is an album by My Disco, released on November 7, 2006. The album marked a change in direction for the band, further into math rock, shifting towards minimalism, a theme further explored and refined in the following album Paradise. The album was recorded in mid-2006.
- "Cancer" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Joe Jackson
- "Cancer" is a musical album of Criminal.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Cancer" is a musical album of Shock Therapy.
- released in (25 years ago)
- "Cancer" is a musical album of Rammer.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Cancer" is a composition.
- music by Mary Lou Williams
- "Cancer" a.k.a. "Cáncer" is a musical album of Albatrozz.
- "Cancer" is a musical single of City Kent.
- released in (36 years ago)
- "Cancer" is a book by Victor Richards.
- language: English Language
- released in (43 years ago)
- award: - National Book Award for The Sciences nomination for Victor Richards
- "Cancer" is a book by William Donald Kelley.
- subjects: Cancer, Fitness, Health, Diet
"Cancer" is a 1997 documentary film directed by C. K. M. Rao.
- producer: Bhanumurthy Alur
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (18 years ago)
- award: - National Film Award for Best Scientific Film, received by Bhanumurthy Alur, Films Division of India, C. K. M. Rao
- Cancer is the name of three fictional characters in Marvel Comics.
- Cancer is a fictional character in a 2011 film Seeking Justice.
- Cancer is one of the twelve constellations of the zodiac. Its name is Latin for crab and it is commonly represented as one. Its astrological symbol is . Cancer is a medium-size constellation with an area of 506 square degrees and its stars are rather faint, its brightest star Beta Cancri having an apparent magnitude of 3.5. It contains two stars with known planets, including 55 Cancri, which has five: one super-earth and four gas giants, one of which is in the habitable zone and as such has expected temperatures similar to Earth. Located at the center of the constellation is Praesepe, one of the closest open clusters to Earth and a popular target for amateur astronomers.
- Cancer is the fourth astrological sign, which is associated with the constellation Cancer. It spans the 90-120th degree of the zodiac, between 90 and 125.25 degree of celestial longitude. Under the tropical zodiac, the Sun transits this area on average between June 21 and July 22, and under the sidereal zodiac, the Sun transits this area between approximately July 16 and August 15. The symbol of the crab is based on the Karkinos, a giant crab that harassed Hercules during his fight with the Hydra.
- also known as Cáncer (Spanish)
- Cancer is a peer-reviewed academic journal published by John Wiley & Sons for the American Cancer Society as their official journal. The journal started publication in 1948. Since 1997 one volume per year has the section title Cancer Cytopathology, with volume numbers integrated into those of Cancer and with the same ISSN. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2013 impact factor of 4.901.
- official website: www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/28741/home
- Cancer: According to traditional Chinese uranography, the modern constellation Cancer is located within the southern quadrant of the sky, which is symbolized as the Vermilion Bird of the South.
- also known as Cancer in Chinese astronomy
Phrases with Cancer
Phrases starting with the word Cancer:
- Cancer Lar
- Cancer Uca
- cancer body
- Cancer Bufo
- Cancer Bush
- cancer cell
- Cancer Dama
- cancer drug
- Cancer Maja
- Cancer Ovis
- Cancer Sayi
- Cancer Thoe
- cancer weed
- Cancer Bipes
- Cancer Gigas
Phrases ending with the word Cancer:
View more phrases with the word Cancer in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cancer
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Rotarian (1922)
Cancer is an anarchy in growth.
Cancer is a disease which, when neglected in its beginning, destroys its victim by a slow but relentless precision that is the despair of the medical attendant and subjects the aHiicted one to a painful death.
Battling And Beating Cancer (2009)
The Cancer Survival Book by Scott Seaman
Cancer is a monster that kills millions of people, ends lives prematurely, and makes wives widows, men widowers, and children orphans. From our...
It is a war, cancer is the enemy, and you have to do everything you can do to defeat it. We will ...
Nursing Practice (2014)
Knowledge and Care by Ian Peate, Karen Wild, Muralitharan Nair
Cancer is a generic term for a host of different illnesses; some develop as a result of lifestyle choices we make and...
Cancer is an illness that affects all of a person's social circle – families, friends and work colleagues, so we are not just caring ...
Sensational After 60 (2013)
Loving Life All Over Again by Shirley Mitchell
Cancer is the second most common cause of death, followed by stroke, then chronic lower respiratory diseases, kidney disease, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, influenza, and septicemia (severe blood infection). A few years ago, a study by ...
Recognizing and Preventing Disease and Injury by Barry S. Levy
Cancer is a major public health problem. Each year, approximately...
by Jane G. Goldberg
Lockhart Cancer is a family of diseases often characterized by rapid and relatively unrestrained proliferation of undifferentiated cells that invade bodily organs and tissues and spread from original ...
Clinical Exercise Physiology (2009)
by Jonathan K. Ehrman
Cancer is a unique disease because it can originate in any organ system, can spread to other organ systems, and has...
SCOPE Cancer is the major cause of morbidity and mortality throughout the world and accounts for 23% of all deaths ...
Cancer and Migration: Epidemiological studies on relationship between country of birth, socio-economic position and cancer (2010)
Endometrial cancer is a post-menopausal cancer with 90% of cases occurring in women over 50 years of age (32).
Medical-Surgical, Pediatric, Maternity, and Psychiatric-Mental Health by Pamela L. Swearingen
The term cancer refers to several disease entities, all of which have in common the proliferation of abnormal cells.
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States after cardiac disease, accounting for nearly 1 of every 4 ...
Reassuring Advice and the Latest Information to Keep You Healthy and Sane by Lorna Gentry, Ramona Slupik
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States; nearly four of every ten Americans will have some kind...
Actually cancer is a family of diseases, all of which occur when cell growth goes out of control in some part of the body.
An Overview and Update by Peter R. Durie, Markus M. Lerch, Albert B. Lowenfels, Patrick Maisonneuve, Charles D. Ulrich
Karger AG, Basel Introduction Pancreatic cancer is a devastating disease with a poor prognosis, an overall 5-year survival rate of less than 1% and...
At present, pancreatic cancer is the fourth...
One of the reasons for the dismal prognosis of pancreatic cancer is that oncologic strategies such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy, ...
Prostate Cancer (2011)
Invasive cancer is the end result of carcinogenesis, a chronic process occurring over many years. The protracted nature of this process provides an opportunity to intervene pharmacologically to prevent, reverse, or delay carcinogenesis, ...
Nutrition and Development (2013)
Short and Long Term Consequences for Health by BNF (British Nutrition Foundation)
Cancer is a major cause of disease and mortality worldwide. Almost 11 million...
Cancer Dictionary (2004)
by Henry A. Rose
Stage IVA: Cancer has spread beyond the nasopharynx to other areas in the head and may have spread to nearby lymph...
by Graham A. Colditz
Merkel Cell Carcinoma Mesothelioma, Adult Malignant Mesothelioma, Childhood Metastatic Squamous Neck Cancer with Occult Primary Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia Syndrome, Childhood Multiple Myeloma/ Plasma Cell ...
Encyclopaedia Medica (1902)
by Chalmers Watson
It is this illimitation which constitutes one of the greatest difficulties in dealing with cancer surgically, and has led surgeons to advocate the complete extirpation of cancerous organs whenever possible with the hope of eradicating the disease.
Encyclopedia of Stress: A-D (2000)
Breast cancer involves a myriad of stressors. Diagnosis, treatment, recovery, and long-term survival present a series of challenges that can contribute to psychological morbidity. In fact, a small proportion of women who have been treated for ...
by Tova Navarra
cancer treatment with vitamins 39 Indochina and South China, that yields a fruit resembling an olive and containing an oily kernel used for candies and cooking. The fruit is also used in Chinese medicine for sore throat and diarrhea, and as an ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cancer
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cancer
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cancer
Click on an item to play that video:
- This Explanation of Cancer Will Blow You Away!
In this incredible interview from 2009, Andreas Moritz explains how cancer starts in the body. He also explains why the immune system often leaves cancer cells ...
- You'll Understand Cancer Better After Watching This Explanation!
Dr. Charles Majors offers a great explanation of what cancer really is at the cellular level. Also find out what simple component is present in every single cancer.
- Fibroadenoma Definition And Cancer Risk
Dr. Harness explains that "Fibro" means connective or fibrous tissue; adenoma means glandular like tissue (or the more medical term is stroma tissue) which is a ...
- This Is a Great Explanation of Why Cancer Forms
Dr. Lise Alschuler is a naturopathic oncologist. Here, she discusses the latest as to why cancer forms in the body and why it forms in different locations like the ...
- Meaning-centred psychotherapy for cancer patients
- Text Explanation About Cancer ( XII IPS 3)
- Living Beyond Cancer - Meaning and Survivorship
Rev. David Maginley, Chaplain, talks about meaning and survivorship.
- Processed and Red Meats Cause Cancer - Dr. Explanation
Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've most likely heard the latest reports from The World Health Organization (WHO) linking processed and red meats ...
- The Definition of Friendship in the Face of Cancer
6 year old Rufus is losing his hair due to his Leukaemia treatment and his 3 best friends shave theirs off alongside him. If you would like to donate to Cancer ...
- Western Veterinary Cancer Centre: Introduction to Basic Cancer Terminology
- Eric's Cancer Explanation
Dr Paul Kent explains to friends and family how the bone cancer is taking over Eric's body. 2/18/14.
- Cancer Definition 1
- Mindfulness - Definition, Examples and Use in Cancer Therapy
What is Mindfulness? Leading Integrative Medicine experts describes how Mindfulness can help cancer treatment and recovery. What are the best books on ...
- Definition of Cancer Insurance : Insurance Tips & Info
- The True Meaning of Cancer Survivorship
Jayne was diagnosed with breast cancer in June 2005. Hear her story...
- CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CANCER ZODIACAL ASCENDANT SIGN - MEANING
What are the basic characteristics, features of those with ascendant in the sign of cancer ? Who has the ascendant in cancer sign which character has he/she ?
- Cancer Meaning
Video shows what cancer means. A disease in which the cells of a tissue undergo uncontrolled (and often rapid) proliferation.. Something which spreads within ...
- Cancer Insurance - The easiest explanation of cancer insurance and how you can obtain in minutes!
- McDougall: Diet and Cancer, ESL Medical Terminology
- Mesothelioma Cancer Definition
- 265 cancer description maladie
- Body Language of Cancer, Leo & Virgo
A look at the body language of Cancer, Leo and Virgo, the zodiac signs of Summer.
- McDougall: Diet and Cancer, ESL Medical Terminology
- Cancer Churro | Metastasnooze #18 Breaking Bad Sleepless Nights with Language Learning | Sleep ...
Due to a blip in the transverse plane, or a total screwup by your podcaster, things are out of order. (episode discussion at 22:25) This should not effect your sleep ...
- McDougall Diet and Cancer, ESL Medical Terminologylarge]
- Cancer description & treatment - OncoDNA channel
Nice video describing in a basic way what is cancer and what are the treatments available.
- Teen Info on Cancer - dictionary
- Cancer Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Cancer!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Living with bowel cancer (British Sign Language) - Macmillan Cancer Support
Eileen describes her experience of living with colon cancer. She talks about how it felt to be diagnosed, her recovery after surgery and how she coped with ...
- Baby Sign Language Nathaniel 17m, cancer survivor, is signing BIRD
This is a video of Nathaniel (17months old) finger signing BIRD in SignShine Class. Nathaniel sings in ASL EXIT whenever he sees an exit sign. Nathaniel is an ...
- Baby Sign Language Nathaniel cancer survivor 15 m finger spells EXIT!
This is a video of Nathaniel (15 months old) finger spells EXIT in SignShine Class. Nathaniel sings in ASL EXIT whenever he sees an exit sign. His dad, Steve ...
Quotes about Cancer
I began by telling the president that there was a cancer growing on the presidency and that if the cancer was not removed ... the president himself would be killed by it. (John Dean)
more quotes about cancer...
Scrabble value of C3A1N1C3E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CANCER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Cancer!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Cancer to see it in context!