Canon appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- So I darn on, a canon radios.
- "So I darn on," a Canon radios.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun canon:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun canon
- Phrases with Canon
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Canon
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Canon
- Photos about Canon
- Videos about Canon
- Quotes about Canon
- Scrabble value of C3A1N1O1N1
- Anagrams of CANON
- Share this page
Canon is sometimes a misspelling of cannon.
Canon (an established set of principles; a basis or standard for judgment; a group of literary works) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun canon
What does canon mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: canons
- a rule or especially body of rules or principles generally established as valid and fundamental in a field of art or philosophy
- a priest who is a member of a cathedral chapter
- a ravine formed by a river in an area with little rainfall
- a contrapuntal piece of music in which a melody in one part is imitated exactly in other parts
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic terms: composition / musical composition / opus / piece / piece of music = a musical work that has been created
- more specific terms: enigmatical canon / enigmatic canon / enigma canon / riddle canon = a canon in which the entrances of successive parts were indicated by cryptic symbols and devices
- a complete list of saints that have been recognized by the Roman Catholic Church
- a collection of books accepted as holy scripture especially the books of the Bible recognized by any Christian church as genuine and inspired
Alternative definition of the noun canon
- A generally accepted principle.
- [anchor, literary]A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.
- The works of a writer that have been accepted as authentic.
- A eucharistic prayer, particularly, the Roman Canon.
- A religious law or body of law decreed by the church.
- A member of a cathedral chapter
- A piece of music in which the same melody is played by different voices, but beginning at different times.
- [context: fandom] Those sources, especially including literary works, which are generally considered authoritative regarding a given fictional universe.
Who is Canon?
Canon a.k.a. Aaron McCain: Canon is a musical artist.
- read more about Aaron McCain
Canon a.k.a. ℃@non is a musical group.
- read more about ℃@non
Canon is a brand owned by the Canon Inc.
- country: Canada
- genre: Animation
- "Canon" is a retrospective album by Ani DiFranco which was released on September 11, 2007. It contains songs covering her career to date. DiFranco re-recorded five songs that had been previously released: "Both Hands", "Overlap", "Napoleon", "Shameless" and "Your Next Bold Move".
- "Canon" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- Canon is a city in Franklin County, Georgia, United States. The population was 755 at the 2000 census.
- CANON is a Geocode, Aviation waypoint.
- Canon: In fiction, canon is the material accepted as part of the story in an individual fictional universe. It is often contrasted with, or used as the basis for, works of fan fiction. The term "canon" can be used either as a noun, referring to "the original work from which the fan fiction author borrows," or as an adjective to describe whether certain elements are accepted as authoritative parts of the fictional universe. Fan-fiction would be described as "non-canon," or "fanon," while an event from the official source material would be "canon." The alternative terms mythology and continuity are often used, with the former being especially to refer to a richly detailed fictional canon requiring a large degree of suspension of disbelief.
- The canon dates from the 7th century and was either devised or introduced into the Greek language by St. Andrew of Crete, whose penitential Great Canon is still used on certain occasions during Great Lent. It was further developed in the 8th century by Sts. John of Damascus and Cosmas of Jerusalem, and in the 9th century by Sts. Joseph the Hymnographer and Theophanes the Branded.
- Canon is a Japanese shōjo manga by Chika Shiomi. The series was originally serialized between 1994 and 1996 in Akita Shoten's manga magazine Mystery EX, and the chapters were compiled into four bound volumes. The series has been licensed by CMX Manga and has released all four volumes in English.
- Canon: The definition for canon is very broad; in a general sense it is referring to being a rule or a body of rules. There are definitions that state it as as: “the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art”. This can be related to such topics as literary canons or the canons of rhetoric, which is a topic within itself that describes the rules of giving a speech. There are five key principles, and when grouped together, are the principles set for giving speeches as seen with regards to Rhetoric. This is one such example of how the term canon is used in regards to rhetoric.
Phrases with Canon
Phrases starting with the word Canon:
Phrases ending with the word Canon:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Canon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Drama of Doctrine (2005)
A Canonical-linguistic Approach to Christian Theology by Kevin J. Vanhoozer
Hence the canon is the supreme norm and measure of dramatic consistency as we seek to assess the fidelity of our...
Canon is a criterion, but not of knowledge only.101 Canon means "list," "fixed measure," and "rule"; it is the norm that ...
Systematic Theology (2001)
The Triune God by Robert W. Jenson
Perhaps the canon is a disastrously bad list for this purpose: perhaps only other writings not included or no extant writings truly...
CANON LAW interesting False Decretals (collections of false canons and decrees of the popes used to falsify the Church's position) and the application of legal arguments by Churchmen that could protect the Church from abuse. Efforts at ...
udarbeidet efter de bedste og nyeste ordbøger by Christian Friderich Bay
Canon , . Regel) a Canon, Canon (at skyde med) a ...
by Gerald O'Collins, Edward G. Farrugia
calls those who procure abortion "murderers" ( canon 91). When promoting married love and respect for human life, Vatican II describes infanticide and abortion as "abominable crimes" (GS 51; see also GS 27).
by William J. Collinge
According to canon law, oaths should be taken in “truth, judgment, and justice” ( Canon 1199). This excludes, respectively, false oaths, rash oaths, and oaths attesting what one ought not to say (even though true) or promising what one ought ...
A new Dictionary of Music (1835)
by Esq. W. WILSON
Canon, the rule for determining intervals by ratios; but the term chiefly relates to the system of composing a perpetual fugue, in which the different parts succeeding each other at certain intervals, incessantly repeat the same melody, according ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Canon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Canon
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: JeanbaptisteM
Photo credit: kinnla
Photo credit: JeanbaptisteM
Photo credit: Mr Wabu
Photo credit: Artiom G.
Photo credit: TranceMist
Photo credit: James E. Petts
Canon EOS 400D Digital
Focal Length : 42.0mm
Photo credit: m_zeeshan
Fotos de camara Canon
Photo credit: usblsb
Photo credit: VasilRaev
View more pictures about Norton Canon.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Canon
Click on an item to play that video:
- Canon 5Ds vs Sony a7RII - The Definition of Awesomeness
They might be different cameras in many ways but the Canon 5Ds and Sony a7RII offer the best from each respective manufacture. So let's put these amazing ...
- Breaking Down Nikon and Canon Terminology
- Karl Lentz 286 - Lifestyle of a man, canon codes, definition of state, controlling public officials
Please Donate Here...
- Canon Meaning
Video shows what canon means. A generally accepted principle; a rule.. A group of literary works that are generally accepted as representing a field.. The works ...
- Update and Canon Explanation.
- Canon Commercial - Definition of Slim
Definition of Slim Film Factory Ltd. 2005.
- Canon 1D X Movie Mode explanation CES2012
- Explanation of canons and canon spiking
Cam Elliott explains how canons were disarmed at the Prince of Wales Fort.
- Canon Powershot G12 - New Meaning Of Clarity And Resolution
- Canon D - Pachelbel Explanation by Max Biddick
- Kearn's lego Plants v Zombies explanation - cob canon
Recorded on November 16, 2011 using a Flip Video camera.
- Canon Pixma: How to Change Printer Language Settings
Learn how you can change the Canon Pixma printer language settings. If your printer is displaying Chinese or other language for some reasons, then you may ...
- How to set the Language in your Camera , Canon EOS M2 , Canon 70D most all cameras
Simply how to navigate threw the languages that are foreign to you. To find the native language of your choice. After purchasing a camera (Canon) EOS-M2.
- Canon Rebel XT short guide and description
this a video going over some of the features and other simple things on the Canon Rebel XT.
- Canon PIXMA MG 2570 Description with first print
how to use and cartridge info.
- Unboxing Canon 70d Indonesia language
Amazinggggg DsLr for Begginer.
- How to Set the Language on a Canon 7D DSLR
- Clean Bandit Mash Up - RE:VERB (Official Music Video) Canon 550d / t2i
This is the official music video for RE:VERB and their new Clean Bandits Mash Up.
- How to: Change the Default Language on your Canon Rebel T2i / T3i / T4i / T5i
Navigating menus that are in a foreign language can be difficult and very frustrating. Below are directions on how to set the language on your Canon camera.
- BEST LANGUAGE - A SHORT FILM SHOT ON CANON 7D AND 60D INDIA
if you are searching for the best language then may be this short film will give you the answer you have been looking for. is it English, Hindi, French, German, ...
- CANON - SWIFTCOLOR LABEL PRINTER DOES EXPORT LANGUAGE LABELS - KTEC GROUP UK
This video shows a factory integrated product labelling system producing a set of different size labels for medical implants. The SWIFTCOLOR printer prints two ...
- ESL Canon Vixia MontBlanc, Chamonix, France
Chamonix, Mont Blanc, France.
- ESL Canon Vixia NOLA Timelapse
Lakeside Mall New Orleans Timelapse.
- The Modern Jewish Canon A Journey through Language and Culture
- How to Set the Language on a Canon T2i DSLR
See also the pronunciation examples of Canon!
Quotes about Canon
The mouth of a canon is less dangerous than that of a scandalmonger.
more quotes about canon...
Scrabble value of C3A1N1O1N1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine