On this page:
Definition of the verb capitalise
What does capitalise mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: capitalised | capitalising | capitalises
- supply with capital, as of a business by using a combination of capital used by investors and debt capital provided by lenders
- draw advantages from
- write in capital letters
- compute the present value of a business or an income
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- alternative spelling: capitalize
- more generic terms: calculate / cipher / compute / cypher / figure / reckon / work out = make a mathematical calculation or computation
- more specific words: overcapitalise / overcapitalize = estimate the capital value of (a company) at an unreasonably or unlawfully high level
- consider expenditures as capital assets rather than expenses
- convert (a company's reserve funds) into capital
- lexical domain: Change - verbs of size, temperature change, intensifying, etc.
- alternative spelling: capitalize
- more generic words: change / commute / convert / exchange = exchange or replace with another, usually of the same kind or category
- more specific words: overcapitalise / overcapitalize = capitalize beyond what the business or the profit-making prospects warrant
Alternative definition of the verb capitalise
- (followed by 'on') To seize, as an opportunity; to obtain a benefit.
- [context: writing, editing] to make use of capital letters (a.k.a. upper case).
- [business] to have, contribute or acquire capital (money or other resources) for a business.
- [finance] to convert into capital, ie to get cash or similar immediately fungible resources for some less fungible property or source of future income.
- [context: accounting, taxation] to treat as capital, not as an expense. (This has implications for when deductions may be taken, at least under US law.)
- [intransitive]: To profit or to obtain an advantage.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for capitalise
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Financial Accounting (2015)
by Mohammed Hanif, Amitabha Mukherjee
The balance of 10,000 should be treated as revenue expenditure and charged to the Profit and Loss Account Capitalised Expenditure To capitalise means to treat expenditure as if it were for the purchase of a fixed asset. Capitalised ...
aider le voisin est gratifiant you are not the only pebble on the beach : il n'y a pas que toi sur la terre nb : to capitalise means to put a capital letter to every important word as in some papers, it does not only mean to convert to capital.
The rules for punctuation are different in all languages and knowing which letters to capitalise is a key part of punctuation. These notes focus on the most important rules for capitalisation to guide you in your writing. Rules for capitalisation ...
Bildwörterbuch Maschinenbau und Elektrotechnik by Heinz K. Flack, Georg Möllerke
capitalise, to gross schrclben capstan Spill, Ankerwinde capsule Kapsel caption Uberschrift, Titel, Bildunterschrift capture, to fangen, einfangen carat Karat carbide Karbid carbon Kohlenstoff carbon compound Kohlenstoff- verbindung ...
Over 9,000 terms clearly defined by Bloomsbury Publishing
by Graham J. Elliott, Graham Elliott, Jeffrey Rowlands
Capitalise Cash flow statement Capitalise Carriage Carrying amount/value Cash book Cash discount Cash flow Cash flow forecast Cash flow statement holders for no payment or consideration (also termed Bonus shares). Kapitaliseer.
by Ed. K.R. Gupta
For India to capitalise on its CDM potential in the first commitment period, high quality CDM projects would need to be developed within the next two years. India is being ranked high in the international ratings for preferred countries for CDM.
by John Devaney
During the last five minutes of the game the Blues gained the ascendancy but failed to capitalise. For the first and only time in SANFL history two finals in the same series had been drawn. The replay was scheduled for a public holiday, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for capitalise
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of C3A1P3I1T1A1L1I1S1E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine