On this page:
- Definition of the adjective cardinal
- Definition of the noun cardinal
- Phrases with Cardinal
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cardinal
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cardinal
- Photos about Cardinal
- Video language resources about Cardinal
- Quotes about Cardinal
- Scrabble value of C3A1R1D2I1N1A1L1
- Anagrams of CARDINAL
- Share this page
Cardinal (of foremost importance) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Barron's essential words for the GRE, which includes 800 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective cardinal
What does cardinal mean as an attribute of a noun?
- serving as an essential component
- being or denoting a numerical quantity but not order
- example: cardinal numbers
- antonym: ordinal
- similar: 0 / zero; non-zero; 1 / ane / i / one; 2 / ii / two; 3 / iii / three; 4 / four / iv; 5 / five / v; 6 / half dozen / half-dozen / six / vi; 7 / seven / vii; 8 / eight / viii; 9 / ix / nine; 10 / ten / x; 11 / eleven / xi; 12 / dozen / twelve / xii; 13 / thirteen / xiii; 14 / fourteen / xiv; 15 / fifteen / xv; 16 / sixteen / xvi; 17 / seventeen / xvii; 18 / eighteen / xviii; 19 / nineteen / xix; 20 / twenty / xx; 21 / twenty-one / xxi; 22 / twenty-two / xxii; 23 / twenty-three / xxiii; 24 / twenty-four / xxiv; 25 / twenty-five / xxv; 26 / twenty-six / xxvi; 27 / twenty-seven / xxvii; 28 / twenty-eight / xxviii; 29 / twenty-nine / xxix; 30 / thirty / xxx; 31 / thirty-one / xxxi; 32 / thirty-two / xxxii; 33 / thirty-three / xxxiii; 34 / thirty-four / xxxiv; 35 / thirty-five / xxxv; 36 / thirty-six / xxxvi; 37 / thirty-seven / xxxvii; 38 / thirty-eight / xxxviii; 39 / ixl / thirty-nine; 40 / forty / twoscore / xl; 41 / forty-one / xli; 42 / forty-two / xlii; 43 / forty-three / xliii; 44 / forty-four / xliv; 45 / forty-five / xlv; 46 / forty-six / xlvi; 47 / forty-seven / xlvii; 48 / forty-eight / xlviii; 49 / forty-nine / il; 50 / fifty / l; 51 / fifty-one / li; 52 / fifty-two / lii; 53 / fifty-three / liii; 54 / fifty-four / liv; 55 / fifty-five / lv; 56 / fifty-six / lvi; 57 / fifty-seven / lvii; 58 / fifty-eight / lviii; 59 / fifty-nine / ilx; 60 / lx / sixty / threescore; 61 / lxi / sixty-one; 62 / lxii / sixty-two; 63 / lxiii / sixty-three; 64 / lxiv / sixty-four; 65 / lxv / sixty-five; 66 / lxvi / sixty-six; 67 / lxvii / sixty-seven; 68 / lxviii / sixty-eight; 69 / ilxx / sixty-nine; 70 / lxx / seventy; 71 / lxxi / seventy-one; 72 / lxxii / seventy-two; 73 / lxxiii / seventy-three; 74 / lxxiv / seventy-four; 75 / lxxv / seventy-five; 76 / lxxvi / seventy-six; 77 / lxxvii / seventy-seven; 78 / lxxviii / seventy-eight; 79 / ilxxx / seventy-nine; 80 / eighty / fourscore / lxxx; 81 / eighty-one / lxxxi; 82 / eighty-two / lxxxii; 83 / eighty-three / lxxxiii; 84 / eighty-four / lxxxiv; 85 / eighty-five / lxxxv; 86 / eighty-six / lxxxvi; 87 / eighty-seven / lxxxvii; 88 / eighty-eight / lxxxviii; 89 / eighty-nine / ixc; 90 / ninety / xc; 91 / ninety-one / xci; 92 / ninety-two / xcii; 93 / ninety-three / xciii; 94 / ninety-four / xciv; 95 / ninety-five / xcv; 96 / ninety-six / xcvi; 97 / ninety-seven / xcvii; 98 / ninety-eight / xcviii; 99 / ic / ninety-nine; 100 / c / hundred / one hundred; 101 / ci / hundred and one / one hundred one; 105 / cv / one hundred five; 110 / cx / one hundred ten; 115 / cxv / one hundred fifteen; 120 / cxx / one hundred twenty; 125 / cxxv / one hundred twenty-five; 130 / cxxx / one hundred thirty; 135 / cxxxv / one hundred thirty-five; 140 / cxl / one hundred forty; 145 / cxlv / one hundred forty-five; 150 / cl / one hundred fifty; 155 / clv / one hundred fifty-five; 160 / clx / one hundred sixty; 165 / clxv / one hundred sixty-five; 170 / clxx / one hundred seventy; 175 / clxxv / one hundred seventy-five; 180 / clxxx / one hundred eighty; 190 / one hundred ninety / xcl; 200 / cc / two hundred; 300 / ccc / three hundred; 400 / cd / four hundred; 500 / d / five hundred; 1000 / k / m / one thousand / thousand; ten thousand; hundred thousand; million; billion; billion; trillion; trillion; zillion
Alternative definition of the adjective cardinal
- Of fundamental importance; crucial, pivotal.
- [nautical] Of or relating to the 'cardinal' directions (north, south, east and west).
- Describing a "natural" number used to indicate quantity (e.g., one, two, three), as opposed to an ordinal number indicating relative position.
- Having a bright red color (from the color of a Catholic cardinal's cassock).
Definition of the noun cardinal
What does cardinal mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: cardinals
- (Roman Catholic Church) one of a group of more than 100 prominent bishops in the Sacred College who advise the Pope and elect new Popes
- domain: Church of Rome / Roman Catholic / Roman Catholic Church / Roman Church / Western Church
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- more generic word: bishop = a senior member of the Christian clergy having spiritual and administrative authority; appointed in Christian churches to oversee priests or ministers
- more specific word: dean = the head of the College of Cardinals
- member of: cardinalate / College of Cardinals / Sacred College / Sacred College of Cardinals = the body of all cardinals of the church
- the number of elements in a mathematical set; denotes a quantity but not the order
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonym of cardinal: cardinal number
- more generic word: number = a concept of quantity involving zero and units
- more specific terms:
- a variable color averaging a vivid red
- crested thick-billed North American finch having bright red plumage in the male
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific name: Cardinalis cardinalis
- synonyms of cardinal: cardinal grosbeak / redbird / Richmondena Cardinalis
- more generic word: finch = any of numerous small songbirds with short stout bills adapted for crushing seeds
- member of: genus Richmondena / Richmondena = cardinals
- geographic area: North America, Oceania
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Alternative definition of the noun cardinal
- [baseball] A player on the team "The St. Louis Cardinals".
- [American football] A player on the team "Arizona Cardinals".
- A sports team or a player on a sports team at Stanford University.
- A student or player on a sports team at the University of Louisville.
Who is Cardinal?
Cardinal is a US based Estonian born DJ/Producer.
- also known as Kaspar Tasane
- born in Estonia
- nationality: Estonia
- profession: Disc jockey, record producer
- read more about Cardinal (musical artist)
Phrases with Cardinal
Phrases starting with the word Cardinal:
- Cardinal Sin
- Cardinal Lory
- Cardinal Rule
- cardinal vein
- Cardinal point
- cardinal tetra
- Cardinal beetle
- cardinal bishop
- cardinal flower
- Cardinal Nephew
- cardinal newman
- cardinal number
- Cardinal Quelea
- Cardinal Shiner
- Cardinal Spider
Phrases ending with the word Cardinal:
View more phrases with the word Cardinal in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cardinal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Charles Curtis
The word cardinal means chief. (b) The numeral one is sometimes used as a pronoun (see § 86 b). (c) The other cardinals are susceptible of inflection, as — " The stars are out by twos and threes." — Wordsworth. " For ten's sake"— Bible.
by Arlene Tognetti, Stephene Jourdan, Ph.D.
cardinal cross See grand cross. cardinal (quality) 1. One of the three qualities used to classify the astrological signs. (The others are fixed and mutable.) 2. Cardinal signs are Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn, ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
cardinal A cardinal is a high office in the Roman Catholic Church, and the cardinals form the Sacred College which elects ...
by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
cardo means a hinge ; its adjective, cardinalis (from which we get " cardinal "), meant originally " pertaining to a hinge," hence that on which something turns or depends," hence " the principal, the chief." Hence, in Christian Rome a ...
by N. B. Ghodke
It is held that Hicks-Allen ordinal measurement of utility being a less restrictive assumption, is more realistic than Marshallian cardinal measurement of utility.) Compiler CARDINAL UTILITY (Theory of value) Neo-classical, Bernoullian and ...
The Mathematics Dictionary (1992)
by R.C. James, Glenn James
cardinal number. A number which designates the manyness of a set of things; the number of units, but not the order in which they are arranged; used in distinction to signed numbers. E.g., when one says 3 dolls, the 3 is a ...
by W. Gellert
2 4 5 Cardinal numbers - - - - - - - 14.5-1. Bijective Two sets S and Tare said to be equipotent or of the same power (written: £ S - T) if there is a bijective map from S to T. N onto a proper It is easy to see that the relation defined above is an ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cardinal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cardinal
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Dave Williss
Photo credit: dannyman
Photo credit: slgckgc
Photo credit: rengber
Photo credit: carterse
with a really old sparrow
Photo credit: eye's eye
Photo credit: Kline706
Photo credit: rengber
Photo credit: WhitA
Photo credit: rengber
Photo credit: glenn_e_wilson
Photo credit: purza7
Photo credit: Big DumpTruck
Photo credit: rengber
Photo credit: StevenW.
Photo credit: glenn_e_wilson
Photo credit: DrPhotoMoto
Seen in the Tifft Nature Preserve, Buffalo, New York
Photo credit: amerune
Photo credit: DrPhotoMoto
Photo credit: Suz-anne
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cardinal
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cardinal Meaning
Video shows what cardinal means. Of fundamental importance; crucial, pivotal.. Of or relating to the cardinal directions (north, south, east and west).. Describing ...
- Cardinal Dolan on meaning of Christmas
Pope Francis calls Christmas "an encounter with the Lord." Cardinal Archbishop of New York Timothy Dolan joins the "CBS This Morning" co-hosts to discuss the ...
- Weakly cardinal Meaning
Video shows what weakly cardinal means. Characteristic of weak cardinality. Weakly cardinal Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to ...
- Cardinal virtues Meaning
Video shows what cardinal virtues means. The four virtues of prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance.. Cardinal virtues Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Cardinal direction Meaning
Video shows what cardinal direction means. Any of the four principal compass directions - north, east, south and west.. cardinal direction synonyms: cardinal ...
- Cardinal bishop Meaning
Video shows what cardinal bishop means. A cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church who is bishop of one of the cardinal ("hinge") dioceses of the Province of ...
- Cardinal Meaning
Video shows what Cardinal means. A player on the St. Louis Cardinals team.. A player on the Arizona Cardinals team.. A player on a sports team at Stanford ...
- Cardinal Wuerl: The Meaning of Christmas
A Message from Cardinal Wuerl about the Perfect Gift and the real meaning of Christmas. Watch more "Share the Joy" videos: ...
- Circuit 5 - Cardinal's - Explanation
- English Vocabulary - Cardinal and Ordinal Numbers
HACIC International Languages center is established by Hoang Anh, JSC in Ho Chi Minh. HACIC is an official British Council IELTS partner, Cambridge ...
- Cardinal spider Meaning
Video shows what cardinal spider means. A large European spider, .. Cardinal spider Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say ...
- Cardinal sin Meaning
Video shows what cardinal sin means. A mortal sin, deadly sin.. Cardinal sin Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say cardinal sin.
- Vocabulary English Cardinal Spasmodic Muse Figment Dissident
- Cardinal O'Hara's The True Meaning of Christmas 2012
- Cardinal variable Meaning
Video shows what cardinal variable means. A variable whose values are ordered, that can be multiplied by a scalar, and for which the magnitude of differences ...
- Cardinal Bernardin and Father Henri Nouwen Share Importance of People First Language Communication
Watch these examples of how worship communities reach out to communicate with every member, including people with disabilities. See how adaptive tools are ...
- The Beauty of Christ in the Sacred Liturgy through the Language ~ Cardinal Burke
Cardinal Burke at the Marian Conference 2011...
- Cardinal Valley principal on dual-language program
Cardinal Valley Principal Matthew Spottswood talks about the school's new dual language program.
- Cardinal Valley Elementary - Dual Language Approach
The school's dual language approach teaches Hispanic kindergarten students academic content in their native language while they are still learning the English ...
- Cardinal Valley's dual-language program
Kindergarten teacher DeAnna Stith talks about Cardinal Valley Elementary's new dual language program.
See also the pronunciation examples of Cardinal!
Quotes about Cardinal
Scrabble value of C3A1R1D2I1N1A1L1
The value of this 8-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CARDINAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Cardinal!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Cardinal to see it in context!