The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb cast out:
On this page:
Definition of the verb cast out
What does cast out mean as a doing phrase?
- expel from a community or group
- throw or cast away
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonyms of cast out: cast aside / cast away / chuck out / discard / dispose / fling / put away / throw away / throw out / toss / toss away / toss out
- more generic terms: get rid of / remove = dispose of
- more specific terms:
- unlearn = discard something previously learnt, like an old habit
- give it the deep six / deep-six = toss out
- jettison = throw away, of something encumbering
- scrap / trash / junk = dispose of
- waste = get rid of
- dump = throw away as refuse
- retire = dispose of
- abandon = forsake, leave behind
- liquidize / sell out / sell up = sell or get rid of all one's merchandise
- de-access = dispose of by selling
- close out = terminate by selling off or disposing of
Alternative definition of the verb cast out
- To drive out; to expel.
Phrases with cast out
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for cast out
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Comprising an Accurate and Popular View of the Present Improved State of Human Knowledge : Illustrated with Upwards of 150 Elegant Engravings. A - B. 1 by William Nicholson
To cast out the 9's of any number, add the figures, and when the sum is equal to or more than 9, pass by the 9, and...
Cast out the 9's of the several articles, carrying the results to the following articles, and cast them out of the sum total ; if the ...
by John Anthony McGuckin
It is in this way that it is associated in the New Testament accounts with the act of expelling demons (ekballo, “to cast out”) and hostile spiritual influences from people, a deed which is associated throughout the gospel with Jesus (Mk. 1.23- 27; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for cast out
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about cast out
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video about cast out
Cast out Meaning
Video shows what cast out means. To drive out, to expel.. Cast out Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say cast out. Powered by ...
See also the pronunciation examples of cast out!
Quotes about cast out
Better kiss a knave than cast out wi' him.