On this page:
Definition of the noun catarrhine
What does catarrhine mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: catarrhines
- of Africa or Arabia or Asia; having nonprehensile tails and nostrils close together
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of catarrhine: Old World monkey
- more generic word: monkey = any of various long-tailed primates
- more specific terms:
- guenon monkey / guenon = small slender African monkey having long hind limbs and tail and long hair around the face
- mangabey = large agile arboreal monkey with long limbs and tail and white upper eyelids
- Erythrocebus patas / hussar monkey / patas = reddish long-tailed monkey of west Africa
- baboon = large terrestrial monkeys having doglike muzzles
- macaque = short-tailed monkey of rocky regions of Asia and Africa
- langur = slender long-tailed monkey of Asia
- colobus monkey / colobus = arboreal monkey of western and central Africa with long silky fur and reduced thumbs
- Nasalis larvatus / proboscis monkey = Borneo monkey having a long bulbous nose
- member of: Cercopithecidae / family Cercopithecidae = Old World monkeys: guenon; baboon; colobus monkey; langur; macaque; mandrill; mangabey; patas
Alternative definition of the noun catarrhine
- Any animal of this group
Definition of the adjective catarrhine
What does catarrhine mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or related to Old World monkeys that have nostrils together and opening downward
Alternative definition of the adjective catarrhine
- Describing the Catarrhini parvorder of primates (including humans) that have nostrils that are close together and directed frontward or downward
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for catarrhine
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Ecology (2015)
by Michael Allaby
catarrhine In primates, applied to nostrils that are close together and ...
by Michael Allaby
catarrhine 96 formation of *petroleum and *natural gas during which continuing sedimentation and subsidence produce...
catarrhine In primates, applied to nostrils that are close together and open downwards.
6, Catarrhine face ( JfiBflBOMi leonimtt). In the Old-World monReys, or Catarrhini, the nostrils are near ...
A Dictionary of Biology (2017)
by M. Abercrombie
Genus of catarrhine primates ...
Catarrhine,Catarhine, kat′arīn, adj. pertainingtothatone of the two divisions of Quadrumana, including allthe Old World monkeys, having a narrow partition between the nostrils. [Gr. kata,down,hris, hrinos, nose.] Catasta, katäs′ta, n. a block ...
by Alan Barnard, Jonathan Spencer
monkeys(the catarrhine cercopithecoidsin the OldWorld,andplatyrrhinesin the Americas), and prosimians. Togetherthese formthe ...
by Virginia P. Studdert, Clive C. Gay, Douglas C. Blood
catarrhine [kat' -rīn] amember ...
Encyclopedia of Anthropology (2005)
FIVE-VOLUME SET by H. James Birx
the catarrhine group to which they are most closely related, in having primitive nonbilophodont molars, larger brains, longer arms than legs (except in humans), ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2014)
by Michael Allaby
catarrhine In * Primates, ...
by Paul A. Rees
cat cat breeds CAT scanner catabolism catadromous Catalogueof Life cataract catarrh catarrhine catastrophicmoult catatonia catch pole Category 1, 2 and 3 species cathemeral catheter cation Cats Protection Cats' Protection League cattery ...
Humanity, Culture and Social Life by Tim Ingold
'Family group systematics and evolution among catarrhine primates', in E. Delson (ed.) Ancestors: The Hard Evidence, New York: Alan R. Liss. Asfaw, B. (1987) 'The Belohdelie frontal: new evidence of early hominid cranial ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for catarrhine
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about catarrhine
Video shows what catarrhine means. Describing the Catarrhini parvorder of primates (including humans) that have nostrils that are close together and directed ...
Scrabble value of C3A1T1A1R1R1H4I1N1E1
The value of this 10-letter word is 15 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of catarrhine to see it in context!