Category appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- "Delia, with gin, O tyro, get a cadet to Ryde: Garth’s ash tragedy rotted a category tonight!" I wailed.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun category:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun category
- Phrases with Category
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Category
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Category
- Photos about Category
- Video language resources about Category
- Sign language
- Quotes about Category
- Scrabble value of C3A1T1E1G2O1R1Y4
- Anagrams of CATEGORY
- Share this page
The word category and its family (categories, categorisation, categorise, categorised, categorises, categorising, categorizing) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun category
What does category mean as a name of something?
Category is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: categories
- a collection of things sharing a common attribute
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonyms of category: class / family
- more generic words: accumulation / aggregation / assemblage / collection = several things grouped together or considered as a whole
- more specific terms:
- grammatical category / syntactic category = a category of words having the same grammatical properties
- substitution class / paradigm = the class of all items that can be substituted into the same position (or slot) in a grammatical sentence
- brass family = the family of brass instruments
- violin family = the family of bowed stringed instruments
- woodwind family = the family of woodwind instruments
- stamp = a type or class
- sex = either of the two categories (male or female) into which most organisms are divided
- declension = a class of nouns or pronouns or adjectives in Indo-European languages having the same (or very similar) inflectional forms
- conjugation = a class of verbs having the same inflectional forms
- denomination = a class of one kind of unit in a system of numbers or measures or weights or money
- histocompatibility complex = a family of fifty or more genes on the sixth human chromosome that code for proteins on the surfaces of cells and that play a role in the immune response
- member: superphylum = a taxonomic group ranking between a phylum and below a class or subclass
- a general concept that marks divisions or coordinations in a conceptual scheme
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- more generic words: concept / conception / construct = an abstract or general idea inferred or derived from specific instances
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun category
- A group, often named or numbered, to which items are assigned based on similarity or defined criteria.
- [mathematics] A collection of objects, together with a transitively closed collection of composable arrows between them, such that every object has an identity arrow.
Specialised definition of the noun category
Glossary of management / IT service management / service support
classification of a group of Configuration Items, Change documents or Problems
- Category: In mathematics, a category is an algebraic structure consisting of a collection of "objects", linked together by a collection of "arrows" that have two basic properties: the ability to compose the arrows associatively and the existence of an identity arrow for each object. A simple example is the category of sets, whose objects are sets and whose arrows are functions. On the other hand, any monoid can be understood as a special sort of category, and so can any preorder.
- also known as 範疇
- Category: In Kant's philosophy, a category is a pure concept of the understanding. A Kantian category is a characteristic of the appearance of any object in general, before it has been experienced. Kant wrote that "They are concepts of an object in general…." Kant also wrote that, "…pure cоncepts [Categories] of the undеrstanding…apply to objects of intuition in general…." Such a category is not a classificatory division, as the word is commonly used. It is, instead, the condition of the possibility of objects in general, that is, objects as such, any and all objects, not specific objects in particular.
- Category: The award category that was presented at instances of this recurring award ceremony during this time period.
- Category: The type of phone number this is. For example, a company might have different phone numbers for general information, customer service, and human resources.
- Category: The type of feature that this is: e.g., a mountain, lake, escarpment, cave, etc.
- Category: The type of email address this is. For example, a company might have different email addresses for general information, customer service, and human resources.
- The category of object this is. (E.g., galaxy, nebula, star, asteroid, etc.
- Category: Some halls of fame induct members in different categories; enter data here only if there is a category for this induction.
- The category of this product. That is to say, what kind of product is it? E.g. shampoo, doll, cellular phone.
- The category of this product line. That is, what kind of products are found in this line? E.g., shampoos, dolls, cellular phones.
- Category: Whether this is a zoo or an aquarium. Note that some may be both zoos and aquariums.
- The category of engine. e.g Internal Combustion.
- Category: The general category of this office. For example, if the office is "Mayor of Queensborough", the category would be "Mayor".
- The category that this metropolitan area belongs to. These are typically created and assigned by government agencies or NGOs.
- The category this order of chivalry best fits.
- Category is an extension.
- Category: A category which provides a specialization of an achievement.
Phrases with Category
Phrases starting with the word Category:
Phrases ending with the word Category:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Category
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Enabling Technologies for Space Exploration by Claudio Bruno, Paul A. Czysz
The second category is the airbreathing rocket, where the propulsion elements are a rocket motor and an air/fuel heat...
by Tom Leinster
A T-structured category is an algebra for Cat(T), which is merely a model of the theory in Cat.
AMS Special Session on Hopf Algebras at the Crossroads of Algebra, Category Theory, and Topology, October 23-24, 2004, Evanston, Illinois by Louis H. Kauffman, David E. Radford, Fernando José Oliveira Souza
D A pivotal monoidal category is a rigid monoidal category with a pivotal structure , that is, an isomorphism j: V → VYY of...
Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Decision Technologies (IDT ́2011) by Junzo Watada, Gloria Phillips-Wren, Lakhmi C. Jain, Robert J. Howlett
The first category is a high degree of satisfaction with a high degree of importance marked with the symbol ○ (+,+). The second category is a high degree of satisfaction with a low degree of importance marked with the symbol ○ (+,-). The third ...
Women and Crime (2011)
A Text/Reader by Stacy L. Mallicoat
The first category is the innocent victim. This distinction is unique...
The second category is the victim with minor guilt. In this case...
by Louise M. Malarkey, Mary Ellen McMorrow
The prehepatic category refers to bilirubin manufacture and transport before the blood circulation reaches the liver. The hepatic category refers to problems within the liver because of injury to the liver cells or blockage within the intrahepatic ...
The first category is that in which the cholera in certain localities does not pass beyond this diarrhoea, while in neighboring situations it acquires its full development. The second category is that which invariably precedes the development of ...
Getting Money to You, Not from You by C. Thomas Anderson
The Self-Employed The second category is the self-employed, ...
A Right to Read (2002)
Segregation and Civil Rights in Alabama's Public Libraries, 1900–1965 by Patterson Toby Graham
The second category is the contemporary literature relating to the issue of integration. Much of this deals with the American Library Association's own racial angst. This was published after the 1954 Brown decision and before 1972. The third ...
by Karen M. Barbera
Measurement, analysis and knowledge management The Measurement, Analysis, and Knowledge Management category is the hub of the TBEM process. Its focus is on effectively measuring, analyzing, and improving organizational ...
Susceptibility of Lodgepole Pine to Western Gall Rust Within the Middle Columbia River System (1992)
by Raymond J. Hoff
The second resistance category is a group of reactions in the stern that have prevented the fungus from becoming established.
by Susan E. Cozzens, Peter Healey, Arie Rip, John Ziman
A second category is that of learning effects; learning effects across programs can be especially important. Leaming can occur with policymakers, for example when the sequel to Alvey is shaped differently because of the experiences with ...
by Dale Southerton
The first category refers to the way that consumption is driven and supported by innovation in the ways sound is encoded and decoded for overthe-air and Internet distribution. The second refers to the consumption of the music, talk, and so on ...
Python Essential Reference (2009)
by David Beazley
warn(message[, category[, stacklevel]]) Issues a warning. message is a string containing the warning message, category is the warning class (such as Deprecationwarning), and stacklevel is an integer that specifies the stack frame from which ...
by R.L. Trask
An aspect category expressing an action or event which is perceived as happening exactly once, as in one reading of the example Lisa sneezed. The semelfactive ...
Structuring the Lexicon (2010)
A Clustered Model for Near-Synonymy by Dagmar Divjak
category. Categories of words, such as the try-verbs, introduced in the previous chapter, play a particularly important role in cognitively inspired semantic studies. Central to any such cognitive semantic endeavor is the question of how words ...
Encyclopedia of Disasters (2007)
Environmental Catastrophes and Human Tragedies by Angus Macleod Gunn
Georgia/South Carolina hurricane August 1881 The hurricane made landfall at Ossabaw Island A category 2 hurricane struck the coastal and interior areas of Georgia and South Carolina. Damage was greatest in Georgia where the majority of ...
by Richard T. Schaefer
2This category includes people who reported only American Indian or Alaska Native, either by specifying one or more American Indian or Alaska Native tribes or tribal groupings or by responding with a generic term such as American Indian or ...
The Encyclopedia of Wood (2007)
by U S Dept of Agriculture
The first category, plywood, is covered ...
by William S. Wang
According to this statement, a sound change influences a “phoneme” which is a sound category rather than a loose heap of unrelated sounds or lexical items. Since exceptions caused by the internal force of a change is not allowed by the ...
For example, the category of professional/ technical workers includes primary school teachers to professors in the universities, from doctors to assistant midwives in the health sector, etc. Service sector workers include cooks, domestic servants ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Category
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Category
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Jordan M. Scott
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Category
Click on an item to play that video:
- Category Definition & Segmentation Course Preview
- Category, Definition and Examples
Category, Definition and Examples.
- Category Meaning
Video shows what category means. A group, often named or numbered, to which items are assigned based on similarity or defined criteria.. A collection of ...
- Connecting the Dots with Katie Hornor #6: WP Category Explanation
- KingKnown Year End Awards: Category Explanation
- Category Management - Definition
Understand how category management is defined and used by customers.
- Sunnah - Terminology,Meaning, and Category
- Category + Item Explanation
- Explanation for slideshow read from more one category
- What Is The Definition Of Category one hurricane - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Category four hurricane - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Category two hurricane - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- What Is The Definition Of Category three hurricane - Medical Dictionary Free Online
- A category of great steps also pertains to meaning great.
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = socioprofessional category
- Add WooCommerce product category description
Add WooCommerce product category description.
- Tutorial: How to Add Image to Arthemia Category Description
At this video you can learn how to add an image to your category description.
- Additional description for category module for prestashop
Describes the installation proccess of the module and shows module in action.
- Additional description for category - PrestaShop
how to add additional description for category pages in prestashop with custom hooks feature available in html box pro module: ...
- Add a Category Description
- Women's Athletic Wear Category Description
- Saksi: "Heneral Luna", pambato ng Pilipinas sa best foreign language film category sa Oscars
GMA News Online...
- The Blogging Daily - 5.28.15 - Adding a Category Description to the Archive Page
- How to edit Magento category (change title, description etc.)
This video shows you how to edit Magento category.
- Shortcodes not inserted into the category description K2
- Insert video to shop category description
- Harmony Category Description - ProVocalz App
- Oscars: Thailand Selects 'Teacher's Diary' For Foreign-Language Category
The National Federation of Thai Film Associations said Monday, Thailand has submitted Nithiwat Tharatorn's romantic drama Teacher's Diary as its candidate for ...
- Belajar Bahasa Inggris Gratis Kelas Kata Yang Termasuk Category Noun
Video belajar bahasa inggris grtatis yang membahas tentang pengertian noun dan Kelas Kata Yang Termasuk Category Noun.
- Muscle Memory Category Description - ProVocalz App
See also the pronunciation examples of Category!
Sign Language - Level 1: Classifiers Representing Category and With Movement
From the Sign Language: Level One series on RioCommons.
Quotes about Category
Something must be done when you find an opposing set of desires of this kind well to the fore in your category of strong desires. You must set in operation a process of competition, from which one must emerge a victor and the other set be defeated. (Robert Collier)
more quotes about category...
Scrabble value of C3A1T1E1G2O1R1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CATEGORY
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Category!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Category to see it in context!