The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun chapter:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun chapter
- Definition of the verb chapter
- Phrases with Chapter
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Chapter
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Chapter
- Photos about Chapter
- Videos about Chapter
- Sign language
- Quotes about Chapter
- Scrabble value of C3H4A1P3T1E1R1
- Anagrams of CHAPTER
- Share this page
The word chapter and its family (chapters) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun chapter
What does chapter mean as a name of something?
Chapter is one of the top 1000 most common nouns. It is used mostly in writing, being one of the top 1000 most common nouns in written English.
noun - plural: chapters
- a subdivision of a written work; usually numbered and titled
- example: he read a chapter every night before falling asleep
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- more generic words: section / subdivision = a self-contained part of a larger composition
- part of: text / textual matter = the words of something written
- any distinct period in history or in a person's life
- a local branch of some fraternity or association
- example: he joined the Atlanta chapter
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- more generic terms: club / gild / guild / lodge / order / social club / society = a formal association of people with similar interests
- member of: association = a formal organization of people or groups of people; frat / fraternity = a social club for male undergraduates
- an ecclesiastical assembly of the monks in a monastery or even of the canons of a church
- a series of related events forming an episode
Alternative definition of the noun chapter
- One of the main sections into which the text of a book is divided.
- An administrative division of an organization, usually local to a specific area.
- A sequence (of events), especially when presumed related and likely to continue.
Definition of the verb chapter
What does chapter mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: chaptered | chaptering | chapters
- To divide into chapters.
- To put into a chapter.
- [military, with "out"] To use administrative procedure to remove someone.
Chapter a.k.a. Chapter Arts Centre is an arts centre in Canton, Cardiff, Wales. It hosts films, plays, performance art and live music, and includes a free art gallery, café and bars. There are also over 60 work spaces, used for an eclectic range of purposes including Chapter's own training courses.
- read more about Chapter Arts Centre
- Chapter is a musical group.
- album: "Two (the Biographer)"
- Chapter is a musical group, record producer, musical artist.
There are other groups with in their name, like Chapter 2, Chapter 6, Chapter 8, chapter 13, chapter 24, Chapter Two, Chapter Four, Last Chapter, Chapter Eight, Final Chapter, Tenth Chapter, Silver Chapter, Che: Chapter 127, The Winter Chapter, 2nd Chapter of Acts and Manfred Mann Chapter Three.
Chapter is a record label.
Chapter: The regulatory code chapter which links to this regulatory part.
Phrases with Chapter
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Chapter
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Deborah Halverson
Sometimes a chapter is a single event experienced from beginning to end. Other times, a chapter is broken down into several different events (scenes) that together achieve the single chapter goal. After you accomplish that goal, through one ...
Intelligent Trading Systems (2010)
Applying Artificial Intelligence to Financial Markets by Ondrej Martinsky
The third chapter is a practical introduction to financial markets and security exchanges. It defines terms such as economic system and financial market, and explains the operating principles of the security exchanges. It also outlines the roles of ...
Chapter 17 PERSONAL EFFECTS OF MARRIAGE Christian von Bar ...
Serial Killers Encyclopedia (2014)
by RJ Parker
Chapter 1: Ahmad Suradji ............................................................. 15 Chapter 2: Aileen Wuornos ........................................................... 17 Chapter 3: Albert Henry DeSalvo .
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Chapter
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Chapter
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Chapter
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Chapter!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Learning American Sign Language Chapter 14 Signs
- Learning American Sign Language Chapter 13 Signs
- Learning American Sign Language Chapter 21 Signs
- Learning American Sign Language chapter 1
In this unit, you will learn how to introduce yourself and get personal info. You will learn about the custom for giving your name.
Quotes about Chapter
Usually, when people get to the end of a chapter, they close the book and go to sleep. I deliberately write a book so when the reader gets to the end of the chapter, he or she must turn one more page. (Sidney Sheldon)
more quotes about chapter...
Scrabble value of C3H4A1P3T1E1R1
The value of this 7-letter word is 14 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CHAPTER
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Chapter!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Chapter to see it in context!