The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun charm:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb charm:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun charm
- Definition of the verb charm
- Phrases with Charm
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Charm
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Charm
- Photos about Charm
- Videos about Charm
- Quotes about Charm
- Scrabble value of C3H4A1R1M3
- Anagrams of CHARM
- Share this page
The word charm is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
Definition of the noun charm
What does charm mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: charms
- attractiveness that interests or pleases or stimulates
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of charm: appeal / appealingness
- more generic word: attractiveness = sexual allure
- more specific terms:
- a verbal formula believed to have magical force
- example: inscribed around its base is a charm in Balinese
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of charm: magic spell / magical spell / spell
- more generic terms: language / oral communication / speech / speech communication / spoken communication / spoken language / voice communication = communication by word of mouth
- more specific words:
- something believed to bring good luck
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- synonym of charm: good luck charm
- more generic terms: object / physical object = a tangible and visible entity
- more specific words:
- (physics) one of the six flavors of quark
Alternative definition of the noun charm
- An object, act or words believed to have magic power.
- The ability to persuade, delight or arouse admiration; often constructed in the plural.
- [physics] A quantum number of hadrons determined by the quantity of charm quarks & antiquarks.
- A small trinket on a bracelet or chain, etc.
- The mixed sound of many voices, especially of birds or children.
- A flock, group (especially of finches).
Definition of the verb charm
What does charm mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: charmed | charming | charms
- attract; cause to be enamored
- examples: Sam cannot charm Sue | The performance is likely to charm Sue
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Cause] [Verb] The clown amused [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown amused the children [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] [Adjective] That movie bored me silly [Cause] [Verb] [Experiencer] with [Oblique] The clown amused the children with his antics [Cause, genitive]'s [Oblique] [Verb] [Experiencer] The clown's antics amused the children [Experiencer - being] [Verb] [Adverb] Little children amuse easily
Verbs of Psychological State (with the same syntax): abash, affect, afflict, affront, aggravate, aggrieve, agitate, agonize, alarm, alienate, amaze, amuse, anger, annoy, antagonize, appall, appease, arouse, assuage, astonish, astound, awe, baffle, befuddle, beguile, bewilder, bewitch, boggle, bore, bother, bug, calm, captivate, chagrin, cheer, chill, comfort, concern, confound, confuse, console, content, convince, cow, crush, cut, daunt, daze, dazzle, deject, delight, demolish, demoralize, depress, devastate, disappoint, disarm, discombobulate, discomfit, discompose, disconcert, discourage, disgrace, disgruntle, disgust, dishearten, disillusion, dismay, dispirit, displease, disquiet, dissatisfy, distract, distress, disturb, divert, dumbfound, elate, electrify, embarrass, embolden, enchant, encourage, enervate, engage, engross, enlighten, enliven, enrage, enrapture, entertain, enthrall, enthuse, entice, entrance, exasperate, excite, exhaust, exhilarate, fascinate, fatigue, faze, flabbergast, flatter, floor, fluster, frighten, frustrate, gall, galvanize, gladden, gratify, grieve, harass, harm, haunt, hearten, horrify, humble, humiliate, hurt, hypnotize, impair, impress, incense, inflame, infuriate, inspire, insult, interest, intimidate, intoxicate, intrigue, invigorate, irk, irritate, jade, jar, jollify, jolt, lull, madden, menace, mesmerize, miff, molest, mollify, mortify, move, muddle, mystify, nauseate, nettle, numb, obsess, occupy, offend, outrage, overawe, overwhelm, pacify, pain, peeve, perplex, perturb, pester, pique, placate, plague, please, preoccupy, provoke, puzzle, quench, rankle, ravish, reassure, recharge, refresh, rejuvenate, relax, relieve, repel, repulse, revitalize, revolt, rile, roil, ruffle, sadden, satiate, satisfy, scandalize, scare, shake, shame, shock, sicken, sober, solace, soothe, spellbind, spook, stagger, startle, stimulate, sting, stir, strike, stump, stun, stupefy, surprise, tantalize, taunt, tease, tempt, terrify, terrorize, threaten, thrill, throw, tickle, tire, titillate, torment, torture, touch, transfix, transport, trouble, try, unnerve, unsettle, uplift, upset, vex, weary, worry, wound, wow.
- lexical domain: Emotions - verbs of feeling
- synonyms of charm: becharm / beguile / bewitch / captivate / capture / catch / enamor / enamour / enchant / entrance / fascinate / trance
- more generic words: appeal / attract = be attractive to
- more specific words:
- control by magic spells, as by practicing witchcraft
- protect through supernatural powers or charms
- induce into action by using one's charm
- examples: She charmed him into giving her all his money | They charm him into writing the letter
- lexical domain: Communication - verbs of telling, asking, ordering, singing
- synonyms of charm: influence / tempt
- more generic word: persuade = cause somebody to adopt a certain position, belief, or course of action
- more specific words: magnetise / magnetize / mesmerise / mesmerize / spellbind / bewitch = attract strongly, as if with a magnet
Alternative definition of the verb charm
- To seduce, persuade or fascinate someone or something.
- [transitive] To use a magical charm upon someone/something.
Charm is an unincorporated community in northwestern Clark Township, Holmes County, Ohio, United States. Although it is unincorporated, it has a post office, with the ZIP code of 44617. It lies along State Route 557.
Who is Charm?
Charm a.k.a. Veronica Jett is an American pornographic actress. She appeared in the music video for Papa Roach's single "…To Be Loved".
- read more about Veronica Jett
Charm is a musical group.
- albums: "Shikami", "Hito"
Charm is a record label.
- Charm is a fictional characher from the 2009 film Thug Love.
- Charm is a fictional character from the 2011 film Wasteland.
- "Charm" is the critically acclaimed third studio album from American rapper/record producer Danny! and the first of his records to be released commercially. As evidenced in the title, Charm was a huge milestone in Danny!'s career; after two unsuccessful attempts to make a name for himself in the music world, the record unanimously won rave reviews, culminating in the inclusion of the album on the 49th Annual Grammy Awards short list and, eventually, a record deal with Definitive Jux Records.
- "CHARM" is a musical album of PLASTICZOOMS.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Charm" is a musical album of Maria Doyle Kennedy.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Charm" is a musical album of Strange Boutique.
- released in (23 years ago)
- "Charm" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by Tony Banks
- "Charm" is a musical album of Kissinger.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Charm" is a musical album of Spare Snare.
- released in (15 years ago)
- "Charm" is a musical album of Nowhere Blossoms.
- "Charm" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- music by Yoko Kanno
"Charm" is a 2002 horror drama film directed by Sadie Shaw and Sarah Reed .
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- directors: Sadie Shaw & Sarah Reed
- cinematography by Tina Gordon
- genres: Horror, Drama
- released on (13 years ago)
"Charm" is a video game.
- developer: Acid Plan
- genre: Adventure game
- publisher: Acid Plan
- released on (23 years ago)
- Charm is a flavour quantum number representing the difference between the number of charm quarks and charm antiquarks that are present in a particle: By convention, the sign of flavour quantum numbers agree with the sign of the electric charge carried by the quark of corresponding flavour. The charm quark, which carries an electric charge of +⁄3, therefore carries a charm of +1.
- Charm a.k.a. Charm++ is a parallel object-oriented programming language based on C++ and developed in the Parallel Programming Laboratory at the University of Illinois. Charm++ is designed with the goal of enhancing programmer productivity by providing a high-level abstraction of a parallel program while at the same time delivering good performance on a wide variety of underlying hardware platforms. Programs written in Charm++ are decomposed into a number of cooperating message-driven objects called chares. When a programmer invokes a method on an object, the Charm++ runtime system sends a message to the invoked object, which may reside on the local processor or on a remote processor in a parallel computation. This message triggers the execution of code within the chare to handle the message asynchronously.
- official website: www.charm.cs.uiuc.edu/research/charm
- Charm is an object oriented computer programming language devised in the early 1990s with similarities to the RTL/2, Pascal and C languages in addition to containing some unique features of its own. The Charm language is defined by a context-free grammar amenable to being processed by recursive descent parser as described in seminal books on compiler design.
- official website: www.riscos-charm.yolasite.com
Phrases with Charm
Phrases starting with the word Charm:
Phrases ending with the word Charm:
Other phrase containing the word Charm:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Charm
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
20,000 Quips & Quotes (1995)
-Edgar Saltus Charm is a glow within a woman which casts a most becoming light on others. -John Mason Brown A woman is...
Where Sea Meets Sky (2015)
A Novel by Karina Halle
photogenic as all hell, but its charm is the first thing that comes to mind. The cab dropped us off at the top of the hill and you can see just how packed the town is. Building after colorful building crammed below cliffs, staggered down the hillsides ...
Evocations of Grace (2000)
The Writings of Joseph Sittler on Ecology, Theology, and Ethics by Joseph Sittler, Steven Bouma-Prediger, Peter W. Bakken
Charm is a reality. Charm is not located in data although it has by data its theater and voice. Charm is not a...
Escape and Other Essays (2014)
by Arthur Christopher Benson
Charm is the quality which makes one desire to linger upon one's pilgrimage, that cries to the soul to halt, to rest, to be content. It is intimate, reassuring, and appealing; and the shadow of it is the gentle pathos, which is in itself half a luxury of ...
Words from the Wise (2007)
by Rosemarie Jarski
Voltaire Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without having asked any clear question. Albert Camus Charm is the enchanted dart, light and subtle as a hummingbird. But it is deceptive in one thing: like a sense of humor, if you think you've ...
by Rick Steves, Cameron Hewitt
The city's sleepy charm is the result of its nononsense past. Busy merchants, the salt trade, and shipbuilding made Dubrovnik rich. But the city's most valued commodity was always its freedom—even today, you'll see the proud motto Libertas ...
by Miri Rubin
Second, although the charm refers to vaguely defined poisons and flying things, the instructions make it clear that the end product is a wound salve (with accompanying lotion). This combination of a rather prosaic physical preparation with a ...
these four aspects that the decisive soft power, key soft power, foundation of soft power and the core of the soft strength, Introduction In a number of factors, cultural charm is the root causes of the country's soft power and core strength.
The Grey World (2009)
by Evelyn Underhill
Charm is a matter of corsets as well as of culture: it is not picturesque to murmur spiritual secrets into the ear of a stout matron, however well-read. To a small mind, such an occupation may even appear ridiculous: and the minds of Elsa's ...
A Dictionary, Hindustani & English: accompanied by a reversed dictionary, English and Hindustani (1866)
By Duncan Forbes by Duncan Forbes
ifi charm, m. leather, :1 skin, :1 hide; a shield. charm-tarang, m. a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Charm
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Charm
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about Southern Charm.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Charm
Click on an item to play that video:
- Charm Meaning
Video shows what charm means. An object, act or words believed to have magic power.. The ability to persuade, delight or arouse admiration; often constructed ...
- Third time's a charm Meaning
Video shows what third time's a charm means. One is sure to succeed at a task or event on the third try.. Third time's a charm Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Malevolent MC Definition charm
- Americana Tag Charm & The Meaning Behind The Star-Spangled Banner
come join us at YourPaperPantry.ning. com.
- Discover the meaning of southern charm in Ft. Bragg
Discover heroes in your backyard. Discover your next career opportunity. Fayetteville, NC is nicknamed "America's Hometown." Find out more about career ...
- Explanation of Charm Runs
- Charm update and explanation
- Body Language - Charm (Buzzsession)
- Body Language - Charm
Taken from "Grammar". Out now on iTunes...
- DIY Dictionary Pendant / Charm
- Language Of Flowers Charm Bracelet
Every silver flower charm from Scarletts collection has its own meaning, inspired by the Victorian Language of Flowers. The art of floriography was like a secret ...
- Pandora Language of Love Charm 791111
- Create your charm with body language
- Charm Jingco Body Language
- Language Arts Project 12th times a charm
See also the pronunciation examples of Charm!
Quotes about Charm
We were watching the first series recently, and it has a charm, a kind of amateur charm. At that point we didn't involve ourselves technically at all - we just messed about and told our jokes - and it looks a bit like that. (Jennifer Saunders)
more quotes about charm...
Scrabble value of C3H4A1R1M3
The value of this 5-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CHARM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Charm!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Charm to see it in context!