The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun cipher:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb cipher:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun cipher
- Definition of the verb cipher
- Phrases with Cipher
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cipher
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cipher
- Photos about Cipher
- Video language resources about Cipher
- Quotes about Cipher
- Scrabble value of C3I1P3H4E1R1
- Anagrams of CIPHER
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun cipher
What does cipher mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ciphers
- a message written in a secret code
- a mathematical element that when added to another number yields the same number
- a quantity of no importance
- lexical domain: Quantities - nouns denoting quantities and units of measure
- synonyms of cipher: aught / cypher / goose egg / nada / naught / nil / nix / nothing / null / zero / zilch / zip / zippo
- more generic term: relative quantity = a quantity relative to some purpose
- more specific terms:
- a person of no influence
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of cipher: cypher / nobody / nonentity
- more generic terms: common man / common person / commoner = a person who holds no title
- more specific terms:
- a secret method of writing
Alternative definition of the noun cipher
- A numeric character.
- A method of transforming a text in order to conceal its meaning.
- [cryptography] A cryptographic system using an algorithm that converts letters or sequences of bits into ciphertext.
- Ciphertext; a message concealed via a 'cipher'.
- A grouping of three digits in a number, especially when delimited by commas or periods
- A design of interlacing initials: a decorative design consisting of a set of interlaced initials.
- [music] A fault in an organ valve which causes a pipe to sound continuously without the key having been pressed.
- The path (usually circular) shared cannabis takes through a group, an occasion of cannabis smoking.
- Someone or something of no importance.
- [obsolete] Zero.
Definition of the verb cipher
What does cipher mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: ciphered | ciphering | ciphers
- convert ordinary language into code
- make a mathematical calculation or computation
- domain: math / mathematics / maths
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of cipher: calculate / compute / cypher / figure / reckon / work out
- more generic word: reason = think logically
- more specific terms:
- quantise / quantize = apply quantum theory to
- extract = calculate the root of a number
- process = perform mathematical and logical operations on (data) according to programmed instructions in order to obtain the required information
- prorate = divide or assess proportionally
- miscalculate / misestimate = calculate incorrectly
- recalculate = calculate anew
- average out / average = compute the average of
- factor out / factor in / factor = resolve into factors
- add together / add = make an addition by combining numbers
- subtract / take off / deduct = make a subtraction
- multiply = combine by multiplication
- fraction / divide = perform a division
- extrapolate / interpolate = estimate the value of
- differentiate = calculate a derivative
- integrate = calculate the integral of
- survey = plot a map of
- approximate / estimate / gauge / guess / judge = judge tentatively or form an estimate of
- budget = make a budget
- capitalise / capitalize = compute the present value of a business or an income
- resolve / solve = find the solution
Alternative definition of the verb cipher
- (regional and/or dated) To calculate.
- Cipher is a fictional mutant character, a superhero in comic books published by Marvel Comics. She is a young African-American female who first appeared in Young X-Men #8 and was created by Marc Guggenheim and Rafa Sandoval.
- Cipher is a character from the newuniversal imprint of Marvel Comics, and is one of the four initial superhumans created by the White Event in 2006. newuniversal, designated Earth-555 in the Marvel Comics multiverse, is a re-imagining of the New Universe imprint from the late 1980s. The name Cipher actually refers to two things: a powerful extra-dimensional glyph that confers superhuman powers on a sentient being, and the name of the being that wields the glyph. Cipher is a new superhuman created by Warren Ellis and Salvador Larroca who were inspired by the original Spitfire and the nature of the Star Brand itself, combined with strong conceptual ties to Iron Man.
"Cipher" is an artwork (synthetic polymer) by Ernest Posey, begun in (38 years ago).
- media: synthetic polymer
- "Cipher" is the debut album by The Alpha Conspiracy, released in 2001.
- "Cipher" is a musical album of Slim Cessna's Auto Club.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Cipher" is a musical EP of James Ruskin.
- released on (14 years ago)
- "Cipher" is a musical album of Basement Dweller.
- "Cipher" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Fad Gadget
Who is Cipher?
Cipher a.k.a. Martin Besig is a musical artist.
- read more about Martin Besig (musical artist)
- Cipher is an American hardcore punk, metalcore band that formed in 1996 in Long Beach, New York. Cipher's original line-up consisted of Moe Mitchell, Danny Bobis, Chris Fry and Krys Maniecki.
- genres: Hardcore punk, Metalcore
- albums: "Children of Gods Fire", "Protoculture", "360 Degrees"
- nomination: - nominated to Juno Award for Rap Recording of the Year - "360 Degrees"
- official website: www.uprisingrecords.com/artists/rock-division/cipher
- Cipher is a musical group.
- Cipher is a musical group.
- album: "360°"
- Cipher is a musical group.
- album: "Chaos Sign"
- Cipher: In cryptography, a cipher is an algorithm for performing encryption or decryption—a series of well-defined steps that can be followed as a procedure. An alternative, less common term is encipherment. To encipher or encode is to convert information from plain text into cipher or code. In non-technical usage, a 'cipher' is the same thing as a 'code'; however, the concepts are distinct in cryptography. In classical cryptography, ciphers were distinguished from codes.
- also known as Cypher, Titkosítási algoritmus, Titkosító/visszafejtő algoritmus, 密碼法, אלגוריתם הצפנה, Versleutelingsalgoritme, Encryptiealgoritme
- Cipher is a manga series written and illustrated by Minako Narita. It was adapted into an OVA in 1989.
Phrases with Cipher
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Cipher
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard A. Mollin
(Block Ciphers) A Block Cipher is a cryptosystem which separates the plaintext message into strings, called blocks, affixed length k € N, called the blocklength and enciphers one block at a time. We now look at some special ...
Information Science (2012)
by David G. Luenberger
The key associated with a substitution cipher is a transformation of the letters of the alphabet into other symbols, or it is a permutation of the alphabet itself. The key...
by Richard E. Blahut
A block cipher is a symmetric-key cipher that breaks a plaintext message into segments of fixed length. Each segment, called a plaintext block, consists of a fixed number of plaintext symbols. Using a secret key k known to both encryptor and ...
UMTS Security (2006)
by Valtteri Niemi, Kaisa Nyberg
Security requirements A block cipher is an encryption algorithm defined as a family of invertible functions parameterized using the secret key. The block cipher partitions a plaintext message into a sequence of blocks of equal length, ...
4th International Conference on Cryptology in India, New Delhi, India, December 8-10, 2003, Proceedings by Thomas Johansson, Subhamoy Maitra
Introduction A stream cipher is a basic cryptographic primitive which has widespread ap- plications in defence and commercial establishments. Like all basic primitives, designing a good stream cipher is a challenging task. In fact, in the past ...
by Adjunct Professor Collin College Texas Chuck Easttom, Chuck Easttom
The Atbash cipher is a Hebrew code that substitutes the first letter of the alphabet for the last letter and the second letter for the second-to-last letter, and so forth. It simply reverses the alphabet. This, like the Caesar cipher, is a single-alphabet ...
by Margaret R. O'Leary
cipher 1. Any cryptographic sys- tem in which arbitrary symbols or groups of symbols, represent units of plain text of regular length, usu- ally single letters, or in which units of plain text are rearranged,or both, in accordance with certain ...
A Dictionary of the Angelic Language As Revealed to Dr. John Dee and Edward Kelley by Donald C Laycock, Lon Milo Duquette, Edward Kelly, Dr John Dee
various cipher systems, but also contains a 'mystical language' (in reality a fairly simple cipher) that in some ways resembles Enoch- ian. What Dee thought of this book is contained in a letter to Sir William Cecil from Antwerp, dated l6 February ...
The Dictionary of Espionage (2013)
Spyspeak into English by Joseph Goulden
“A cipher is a method of concealing plaintext by transposing its letters or number or by substituting other letters or numbers according to a key. A key is a set of instructions, usually in the form of letters or numbers, which controls the sequence ...
Volume 4 - Calligraphy to Church Libraries by Allen Kent, Harold Lancour
lUPAC-Dyson Cipher In 1947, IUPAC established a Commission on Codification, ...
by James C. Bradford
Cipher. is a cryptographic system in which units of plain text are substituted according to a predetermined key to conceal the readability and meaning of a message. It also refers to the text of an encrypted message and a computer software ...
Dictionary of Homonyms (2007)
by David Rothwell
cipher A cipher is a message or communication that has been written in code so that no unauthorised person can ...
The Cyclopædia, Or, Universal Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Literature: Navigation-writing by cipher (1820)
by Abraham Rees
NAVIGATION-_WRITING BY CIPHER. +LONDON ...
by Robert B. Waltz
Hence the cipher. Ciphers, instead of replacing words and phrases by other words and phrases, replace letter by letter (or, these days, in blocks of letters) Since there are only a finite number of letters (26 in the Roman alphabet, plus whatever ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Cipher
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Cipher
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Cipher
Click on an item to play that video:
- Cipher Meaning
Video shows what cipher means. A numeric character.. Any text character.. A combination or interweaving of letters, as the initials of a name; a device; ...
- Absence explanation,Skolas, and the Elder Cipher
- Openwest 2015 - Robert Stone - "A Clear Text Explanation of the AES Cipher" (9)
With more and more personal information traversing the Internet and an increasing volume of personal data being stored by companies, methods of transmitting ...
- Definition of Cipher - JH
- BREAKING NEWS: Okoto Language Cipher Revealed
- Additive cipher in C++ in Kurdish Language , Lecture No.14
C++ Tutorial for Beginners in Kurdish . A series on how to program in C++ In Kurdish Language. Part of E-Learning project in Kurdish language produced by a ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Cipher!
Quotes about Cipher
On that day when all is dark
When I wake on that blackened day
Though I wake to find no day
I will burn a flower on my tiny finger
And cipher the heart of the yelp (T. Wignesan)
more quotes about cipher...
Scrabble value of C3I1P3H4E1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.Couldn't select: Got error 28 from storage engine