|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun claret
What does claret mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: clarets
- a dark purplish-red color
- dry red Bordeaux or Bordeaux-like wine
- lexical domain: Foods & Drinks - nouns denoting foods and drinks
- synonym of claret: red Bordeaux
- more generic terms: red wine = wine having a red color derived from skins of dark-colored grapes; Bordeaux / Bordeaux wine = any of several red or white wines produced around Bordeaux, France or wines resembling them
- more specific term: Saint Emilion = full-bodied red wine from around the town of Saint Emilion in Bordeaux
Alternative definition of the noun claret
- [chiefly British] A dry red wine produced in the Bordeaux region of France, or a similar wine made elsewhere.
- A deep purplish-red colour, like that of the wine.
Definition of the adjective claret
What does claret mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more claret / most claret
- Of a deep purplish-red colour, like that of claret.
Definition of the verb claret
What does claret mean as a doing word?
verb - inflections: clareted | clareting | clarets
- drink claret
Claret is a commune in the Alpes-de-Haute-Provence department in southeastern France.
- also known as Claret, France; Claret, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence
- part of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
"Claret" is a musical EP of Cyrus.
- released in (7 years ago)
Claret is a name primarily used in British English for the red wine from the region surrounding Bordeaux in France; outside the UK this is usually referred to as Bordeaux wine or simply Bordeaux.
Phrases with Claret
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Claret
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Andrew Newman
C' sub R claret is a red R sub C' red is a spectral colour C' sub C' claret is a spectral colour The first argument is about particulars and is valid. If (x)(C'x —> Rx) is considered as expressing a relation between attributes, which we have called ...
A New Cultural History by Charles Ludington
No, Sir, claret is the liquor for boys; port for men." hogshead of madeira. In 1778, the sale of the Earl of Kerry's wines included undisclosed amounts of "fine old port," claret "fine flavour," champagne, burgundy, Rhenish, red Cape, white Cape , ...
Wine Cocktails (2009)
50 Stylish Sippers That Show Off Your Reds, Whites, and Roses by A. J. Rathbun
While claret refers to red wine from the Bordeaux region of France, you won't actually hear that word used when in France as it's an English term...
The Diner's Dictionary (2012)
Word Origins of Food and Drink by John Ayto
claret Now ...
by Julia Cresswell
clanger see DRoP clap see RAP claptrap see PoPPYCoCK claret ...
by Richard Niven
«nd two more of blue pig's wool, over this silver tinsel and gold twist side by side ; a red claret hackle, commencing from the orange wool ; the blue wool picked out in longish fibres at the shoulder, over this a bustard hackle, then the wing, and ...
by Bill Mallon, Randon Jerris
CLARET JUG. The Claret Jug is the trophy given to the winner of the Open Championship (British Open). It was first awarded in 1873. The original prize for the Open was a championship belt, with the proviso that any player winning the event ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Claret
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Claret
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Val Claret
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 AF-D
Photo credit: Ed.ward
- Fine Claret
Lynch Bages 1970; Leoville-Las-Cases 1970
Photo credit: alexbrn
- Verbena 'Claret'
Photo credit: wallygrom
- Vidrieres Pare Claret
Photo credit: aneolus
- Dibuix amb fusta Pare Claret
Photo credit: aneolus
View more pictures about claret cup.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Claret
Burgundy for kings, champagne for duchesses, claret for gentlemen.
more quotes about claret...
Scrabble value of C3L1A1R1E1T1
The value of this 6-letter word is 8 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of CLARET
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Claret!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Claret to see it in context!